Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2020 at 9:04 AM
Default Kyle, a black British Sim
I was wondering if his face looked unique enough? I went and looked at a couple of Google images for reference, focusing on the nose and mouth.

Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 9:11 PM
He looks kind of puddingy. Reminds me of the premade Sims.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jan 2020 at 6:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
He looks kind of puddingy. Reminds me of the premade Sims.

How can I fix that?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Jan 2020 at 4:21 PM
I don't know, I'd say it's his eyes. Maybe his nose. I'm not really sure and I'm really bad at making black Sims.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jan 2020 at 4:30 PM
I don't know, I'd say it's his eyes. Maybe his nose. I'm not really sure and I'm really bad at making black Sims.

Yes, it might help if I scale the eyes down and shape the nose a bit.
Screenshots
Instructor
#6 Old 21st Jan 2020 at 11:27 PM
You might want to consider playing around with the profile. I don't have the game up right at the minute, but there is a slider that basically moves the face from the nose to the chin forward. It might even be called 'Profile'. You could change the mouth depth a bit. You could change the brow ridge / nose bridge area a bit. Raise the cheekbones a bit, and perhaps change the shape.

Generally the face is 5 eye-widths across, with there being about 1 eye-width space between the eyes. This is generic and not set in stone as every face is different. But it is a general guideline. Sim eyes are generally wildly oversized. Rare is the case I don't move the eyesize slider nearly to the smallest setting. But that is me.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jan 2020 at 7:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
You might want to consider playing around with the profile. I don't have the game up right at the minute, but there is a slider that basically moves the face from the nose to the chin forward. It might even be called 'Profile'. You could change the mouth depth a bit. You could change the brow ridge / nose bridge area a bit. Raise the cheekbones a bit, and perhaps change the shape.

Generally the face is 5 eye-widths across, with there being about 1 eye-width space between the eyes. This is generic and not set in stone as every face is different. But it is a general guideline. Sim eyes are generally wildly oversized. Rare is the case I don't move the eyesize slider nearly to the smallest setting. But that is me.

Thanks for the feedback. Well here he is after making those adjustments.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2020 at 11:36 AM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 23rd Jan 2020 at 12:23 PM.
Your first try was better although he just looks like a white guy with dark skin. (sorry)

https://www.pinterest.com/hridge07/...n-american-men/
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2020 at 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
Your first try was better although he just looks like a white guy with dark skin. (sorry)

https://www.pinterest.com/hridge07/...n-american-men/

Thanks for the link. I went and looked at a couple and have modified him.

Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Jan 2020 at 6:03 PM
This is a better view of facial proportions - it's very mathematical ; )
https://www.artyfactory.com/portrai...-of-a-head.html

I believe the only way to get rid of the "pudding" is to get some cc skin and eyes.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 23rd Jan 2020 at 6:12 PM
Threw this guy together in about 45 min. or so. The thing is is that TheSims has basic "white" features, not ethnic ones. You can only do so much in CAS or get a ton of sliders & cc.
I've not found any skin cc with African American features. There are some nice Asian skins. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place?
(cc includes skin, eyes, facial hair and 1 chin slider and still looks mostly like a white guy )
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jan 2020 at 6:36 PM
At the moment I have You Are Real skin and Oh My Tiffany eyes.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th Jan 2020 at 10:52 AM Last edited by Esmeralda : 24th Jan 2020 at 11:27 AM.
Hi, I just happened upon this thread and remembered there was an excellent face-sculpting tutorial from back when I used to make TS3 stuff, by Arisuka. She gave very useful tips for eliminating the pudding look, including examples of Afro-American faces who look more authentic than the EA default: http://modthesims.info/t/450276 . Hope the tutorial will be of some help! At the moment he does still look a bit default and puddingy, and eyes are too big - if you make the eyes smaller and sculpt his jaw and cheekbones as mentioned in the tutorial, you should get closer to a more distinctive and realistic-looking face.

My Fallout 4 creations: Nexus
More of my Fallout 4 items and some of my unreleased-on-MTS TS4 stuff are at my site, Colourful Commonwealth
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Jan 2020 at 3:16 PM
I went ahead and made the eyes smaller, and changed the jawline and cheeks a bit.

Screenshots
Field Researcher
#15 Old 24th Jan 2020 at 3:43 PM
I looked at images of Stormzy, Bugzy Malone, Jme and Idris Elba, and they have more defined nasolabial creases between the mouth and nose, which Kyle doesn't. I usually move the eyes closer when making over sims as well, don't know if that might help?
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jan 2020 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucyBorgia
I looked at images of Stormzy, Bugzy Malone, Jme and Idris Elba, and they have more defined nasolabial creases between the mouth and nose, which Kyle doesn't. I usually move the eyes closer when making over sims as well, don't know if that might help?

I've now added more definition to the nasolabial crease, but decided to keep the eyes quite distanced.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th Jan 2020 at 5:42 PM
Much better! His skin looks more defined, his features look less white, like KatyFernlily said, and the whole "pudding" look is completely gone.

insert signature here
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Jan 2020 at 5:56 PM Last edited by WatermelonSandal : 25th Jan 2020 at 7:49 AM.
Much better! His skin looks more defined, his features look less white, like KatyFernlily said, and the whole "pudding" look is completely gone.

Excellent so do you think I should upload?

UPDATE: Uploaded.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th Jan 2020 at 1:19 PM
Yeah he looks great. Your last Sim did too. They both have interesting facial structures that look realistic without being too realistic for TS3.

insert signature here
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 25th Jan 2020 at 1:40 PM
Yeah he looks great. Your last Sim did too. They both have interesting facial structures that look realistic without being too realistic for TS3.

Thanks - I think I'll do a female for my next Sim and see how she turns out.