Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#101 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 4:22 PM
Here's one of the sites I liked if anyone is interested. Most sites I found are all about the music and the art of the era. I wanted things that more pertained to woman's life, as after all, the queen is a woman.
http://www.erasofelegance.com/history/baroque.html
I'm sure there's better stuff out there, but I still need to keep searching.
Advertisement
#102 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 4:26 PM
Hopefully our characters won't have to slip into various French lingo and sayings.. All I rembember is Bon soir mon petit pain and Voila mon ouvert. And I think that more accurately means, "Evening, my little bread" and "Ta dah, my eggs!"..

Good news! I have a headshot. It will be up shortly once photobucket starts being nice.
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 4:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shenanigans
I admit that I am a non-suave, unsophisticated, boring, plain American. I can't even say half these names everyone has come up with! Thank heavens for cut and paste. But I wonder how we will all come to call each other. (Meaning first name or last or last two, or middle three.) Because I seriously doubt we'll be using the full names.

Also, thanks for answering yet another question of mine eternal. Like I said, I know nothing about French history. I stayed up last night reading about the etiquette of the Baroque period though. So maybe I get some points for effort. Maybe.

If we would use french court rules

then these are the rules of Versailles (the French Royal Palace)

1. People who wanted to speak to the king could not knock on his door. Instead, using the left little finger, they had to gently scratch on the door, until they were granted permission to enter. As a result, many courtiers grew that fingernail longer than the others;

2. A lady never held hands or linked arms with a gentleman. Besides being in bad taste, this practice would have been impossible because a woman’s hooped skirts were so wide. Instead, she was to place her hand on top of the gentleman’s bent arm as they strolled through the gardens and chambers of Versailles. It is also mentioned that the ladies were only allowed to touch fingertips with the men.

3. When a gentleman sat down, he slid his left foot in front of the other, placed his hands on the sides of the chair and gently lowered himself into the chair. There was a very practical reason for this procedure. If a gentleman sat too fast, his tight trousers might split; :banana:

4. Women and men were not allowed to cross their legs in public;

5. When a gentleman passed an acquaintance on the street, he was to raise his hat high off his head until the other person passed;

6. A gentleman was to do no work except writing letters, giving speeches, practising fencing, or dancing. For pleasure he engaged in hawking, archery, indoor tennis, or hunting. A gentleman would also take part in battle and would sometimes serve as a public officer, paying the soldiers;

7. Ladies’ clothing did not allow them to do much besides sit and walk. However, they passed the time sewing, knitting, writing letters, painting, making their own lace, and creating their own cosmetics and perfumes.

How to call:
King: His Majesty
Queen: Her Majesty
Princess: Her Royal Highness

For all the other persons I think you would say there title and then the place of what they're Duch/Duchess/...

Like: Duc Peitou-Charentes
Baronesse Varon
#104 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 4:34 PM
Thank you kipsnif very much for taking the time to type that all up! Goes to prove, you're never to old to learn something new, and you can learn something new everyday.

*edit*
Aww... Thank you Fayreview! You're so kind. lol Now that I think about it, no wonder the Queen is so.. uhm... interesting. It may make up for the mundane life I lead.
#105 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 4:41 PM
Trust me I have a GCSE in french and it is worth NOTHING in real life, i can just about do the pronunciation but I can't speak french *rolls eyes*

Also as you all look down upon me, I wonder if I'll keep up the etiquete (make that a no can't even spell it)

P.S. shenanigans dont call yourself boring... you are one of us which means your interesting
Original Poster
#106 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 4:07 AM
Fluid: That’s right - that’s a perfect example of a favor. It’s simply a social favor in the RP. Your well-written example is right on target!

Kipsnif: You didn’t have to change your character! It’s true, I based this RP off of Louis XIV’s court, but it didn’t have to be historically accurate! Ah, well, I’ll put up your changed information on the front page. Also, thanks for the etiquette post - with your permission, I’d like to link it under the Resources part of the main page, so everyone can see it.

Shenanigans, thanks for the link! That is a pretty good overview site. Like you said, a lot of information about the Baroque period focuses on architecture, music and art. If you search under ‘Louis XIV’ ‘Baroque culture’ and ‘17th century France’ you’ll get more social information.

Fayreview, yes you can barter. You are going to be quite a terror, aren't you?

Baroque Fashion and Social Life

Also, here’s a little more info, to help people flesh out their characters... If anyone has anything else to add, please do add some and I’ll link to it on the 1st post!

Social Customs:
http://www.canaan.demon.co.uk/rolep...C17th-Life.html

Hairstyles:
For women: http://www.kipar.org/baroque-costum..._headdress.html

For men: http://www.kipar.org/baroque-costum..._hairstyle.html

1660-1680: “Classic” Baroque Fashion

For women: http://www.kipar.org/baroque-costum...mes_female.html (Look under the heading 1660 - 1680)
http://www.marquise.de/en/1600/pics/1600d.shtml
http://www.marquise.de/en/1600/pics/1600c.shtml

For men: http://www.kipar.org/baroque-costum...tumes_male.html (Look under the heading 1670 - 1720)
http://www.kipar.org/baroque-costum...ccessories.html
http://www.costumes.org/HISTORY/100Pages/17THMEN.HTM

General Fashion Info

Baroque dress was very ornate, and hyper-feminine. Women, who had little chance to express themselves otherwise, often did so through the secret language of dress. Bold, adventurous women wore dresses with extremely low necklines, which exposed a great deal of (controversial) cleavage. More ‘moral’, pure women, wore a transparent, gauzy netting over their bodice, so as not to reveal any actual skin.

Men’s dress of this time was very sober. Dark colors were favored, and hair was often worn loose - in long, lustrous curls. If men did not possess naturally long, curly hair, they wore wigs.

Getting dressed was not like today - if you were an aristocrat it took a, literal, army of servants to dress you. At the very least, to get dressed you would need 8 or 9 servants doing your hair, make-up and stitching you into your clothing - male or female. The simple act of getting ready for the day took hours of preparation.

Aristocrats also changed clothing, at least twice a day. Morning clothing was simple, and of soft, pale colors with little ornamentation. Evening clothing - ball gowns for women and full court dress for men - was very elaborate, and rich in decorative detail. This was a time for people to show off their wealth, fashion sense, extravagant jewelry and intricate hairstyles.
#107 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 4:13 AM
[QUOTE=eternal_sunshine][B]
Baroque dress was very ornate, and hyper-feminine. Women, who had little chance to express themselves otherwise, often did so through the secret language of dress. Bold, adventurous women often wore dresses with extremely low necklines, which exposed a great deal of (controversial) cleavage. More ‘moral’, pure women, wore a transparent, gauzy netting over their bodice, so as not to reveal any actual skin.QUOTE]

lol. I Rhinana is wear a low cut with a dark red sedutive dress. showing a lot of skin.
#108 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:15 AM
Well I'll try eternal I really will :frog: :argue: :num:

Another question how would I dress... I was kind assuming somewhere between the titleless and the next step up?
Original Poster
#109 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 1:23 PM
innoscenteyes, then I guess we know what kind of 'lady' your sim is!

Fayreview, you get decide how you dress. You're broke, though, so the quality of your clothing might not be so fine. The main goal of everyone who wasn't an aristocrat, but wanted to hang out with them, was to imitate to their beautiful dressing style.

Really, all that clothing stuff was a reference point, only. If you don't follow it, there's no penalty. Just make sure your character is vaguely attuned to the times (no cell phones! no miniskirts! no microwaves or netspeak!), and you'll be fine.
#110 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 3:54 PM
i didnt think about it until you put it up there. but i guess her dress goes with her personality, willing to get to the top for anything.
#111 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 4:53 PM
Good lord, I finally managed to virtually reprogram Windows in a bid to access my dads account and get a decent headshot.. I got one alright, saved it, planned to upload it later.. I came back today and he's put a frickin BIOS password on the whole machine so it won't even boot up! The only way I can get around it is taking out the CMOS battery and resetting the BIOS/CMOS settings to default, and I really don't want to because I can't remember the old settings! So, laptop (headshotless) time for me. Blahhhh! :eviltongu Sorry, I needed to rant.
#112 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 4:57 PM
Ok, I don't know what that is, but it sounds crap. Especially since you make such good sims!
#113 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 5:01 PM
I'm sorry Hay... I have to admit that I laughed. Only because I can SO see my own husband and daughter fighting over the computer like that when she's older. (She's only three now.) I did so want to see what Felix looks like, your sims are always so beautiful. But I'm sure you could continue in the rp without one given the circumstances. We'd all just have to use our imaginations.
#114 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:05 PM
Hee I rewrote my app a bit and at least added a picture. Not a proper sims one, but in my opinion its much, much better... :lovestruc

http://forums.sims2community.com/sh...30&postcount=32
#115 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:09 PM
Nice I hardly ever use sims pics anymore, but that is due to the fact of a messed up game :eviltongu
#116 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:39 PM
Casanova!!!! Hmmm.... I mean.... *blushes* Oh ok I'll admitted i watched most of the series... And i love the choice in pic...!!!
Forum Resident
#117 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:42 PM
is there room for a RP newbie? i've never done one of these before, I was going to join the Salem one but I just couldn't think of a charactor... this is more my style.

~*I'm a she*~
The Booty calls to you, you cannot resist it
I use Target and Kodak Gallery for my pictures, you should too... :D
My MTS2|Livejournal|Yearbook|Facebook
#118 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:43 PM
There should be, ther's 8 spots left
#119 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:44 PM
Yes!!!! join join!!!! Anyone with the simming quality you do clearly has the imagination for a roleplay!....

And i should know I've been struggling to find fault with your houses for three rounds is it now over on the architect...
Forum Resident
#120 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:44 PM
i just meant if this was going to be for more experianced RPer's :D

lol fayreview... thanks!

~*I'm a she*~
#121 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:46 PM
I dont think so, it has guidelines so you should probably be fine. And we're all happy to help new people to the RP section!
#122 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:57 PM
I just statred rp not to long ago. I think we would all be happy for you to join.
Original Poster
#123 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by photo_me2004
is there room for a RP newbie? i've never done one of these before, I was going to join the Salem one but I just couldn't think of a charactor... this is more my style.

Of course there's room! This RP is meant for all levels of RP experience - follow the rules & regs, watch people's posts for a few days to get the hang of it and you should be just fine.

I hope you do join - there are 8 spots left, and applications close on 9/29. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. Just PM me!

And Haylifer - that new photo is magnificent. I especially love the strategically placed ladies!
Forum Resident
#124 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 8:33 PM
Default Application - Comtesse Anastasie-Amélie Du Rousseau
Name: Anastasie-Amélie Du Rousseau (feel free to just call her Anastasie)
Title: Comtesse
Personality: Firey and beautiful, Anastasie has captured the hearts of many of the men the French court since gaining her title upon the death of her parents. Though she does not seem to show any interest in the advances of the men, she does have a suspicious amount of female friends who gather in her rooms for long, late night "talks". She is ambitious and conniving, seeming to always get what she wants even if she has to lie and cheat to gain it.
Picture:

((hope this is ok! :D)

~*I'm a she*~
#125 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 8:35 PM
she is very pretty ^

Page 5 of 49