Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#926 Old 12th Apr 2019 at 9:47 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 12th Apr 2019 at 10:27 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Sorry for the double post.
I don't read about authors or any celebrity or person I like because of that very thing. I end up hating them. I've never read the Gunslinger series, though there was a time I read everything King wrote.

It was fortunate for me that his writing began to decline even as his ego and despicable public opinions became more frequent. I find it very easy to skip anything he writes now.

The only thing I like about Stephen King is he bought the car that nearly killed him and had it sent through a Trash-Masher. If that isn't a sweet revenge, I don't know what is.

My mother was a big Stephen King reader when she was younger. If it wasn't the iconic horror novels, it was his dramas like The Green Mile. Eventually, she stopped reading after she started to scare herself. We were big fans of the show Haven (based on The Colorado Kid) , my favorite episode was the one where the Old Testament passage regarding the plagues came to life. That is creepy in its own regards, regardless of who wrote what.

My favorite quote from when he was retiring "I killed enough trees" (his "retirement" predated the eBook craze. I think it was 1997 he made this quip. Although with his active status as a prolific celebrity author, (none of his books went out of print) he only stopped for books. His opinion, solicited or not, is another matter entirely.)

Besides, I'm reading a cookbook that doesn't offer a story beyond how to perfect the macarons you plan to make. Thought there would be more substantial content beyond recipes for sweet and savory macarons.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#927 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 4:35 PM Last edited by smorbie1 : 26th Apr 2019 at 10:06 PM.
Finally finished World's Scariest Places Volume II. My reading has been slowed down by the fact that I usually just have time to read when I go to bed, and Mooshu doesn't like the light in her eyes.

It was a good book. It was fictional based on true scary places. There were stories set in Hellstown, Ohio (why would anyone live in a place called Hellstown?) and the Island of Dolls.

The book was very fast paced. It had plenty of exposition, but managed to build that into the action, so there weren't any lulls in events. Quite good.

Now, I'm reading Insects, Books 1,2, 3. It's a horror story about.....you guessed it. Good so far.

EDIT: Finished the first three books. Wowzers! I bought the fourth one and am racing through it.

The story is that there is a rare reptile/insect hybrid living in the rain forest. Very little is known about it except that its numbers are kept quite low by a naturally occurring fungus. A group of scientists go to collect specimens of it only to discover it has learned how to cure the fungus, and is quickly becoming the apex predator of the jungle. Will they escape? If so, will they be able to safely capture specimens to learn how to protect humans against them?

The story is fast paced. At points there are a lot of characters that I tended to think of as red shirts, but the main characters are well drawn.

EDIT AGAIN: The 4th insect book was just repetitive. They have to find MORE specimens even though they had thousands at the end of book 3. Those all conveniently died (I guess they read ahead in the book and died of boredom). They go BACK to the jungle. They get captured AGAIN.

I didn't even look to see whether there was a book 5. I'm done.

So, I went to the 3rd book in the MELT series, all anxious to see what happens. Well, I don't know. So far everyone is in a looooong protracted flashback to his youth. Yeah, I know I'm trapped and have to work really fast to free myself, but first..........remember that time I got a baby chick for Thanksgiving.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#928 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 11:02 PM
I've not read that particular tome, but I have studied emotional vampires. I also worked with one for a long time. It's not easy. I'm pretty immune to it. (I'm one of those annoying chirpy people). But, she had a terrible effect on other people in the office. Most of them didn't even realize it.

As for the third MELT book I was so excited about... meh. It's like the author didn't really have enough story for three books, so he's gone back to torture the past. I've probably skipped over half of it.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#929 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 4:54 PM
All the ones I've read on your list are great fun. My first impression was Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, simply because of the poetry. But, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I've not indulged in Audible. I have a tendency to block out spoken voice and have to go back and listen, sometimes more than once.

I finished the third MELT book. It finally did get a lot better, but I really did skip a great deal of it. Nevertheless, I was intrigued enough to preorder the next book. I confess I hope it's the last one in the series.

Mad Poster
#930 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 5:31 PM
I fought getting one for a long time because I love physical books. But I can't deny a deep abiding love for mine.

Mad Poster
#931 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 5:24 PM Last edited by smorbie1 : 30th Apr 2019 at 6:44 PM.
Glad you found a series you love.

I had an idea. I am not a mystery reader, but I LOVE the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich. They are character driven, and not so much about mysteries as they are about the crazy inhabitants of the book. Stephanie accidentally becomes a bounty hunter and she really isn't all that good at it; she's just lucky. The books are literally laugh-out-loud funny. Many times I've had to stop reading just to laugh awhile.

If you had a Kindle, I could share my copies with you so you wouldn't have to buy them. :3 But, if you are interested, the first one is called One for the Money. They are fast reads and once you dive in, you never want to leave.

I read them while I was sitting in the chemo chair, and I wouldn't read them any other time during the time of my active treatment. They were my treat for going to chemo. They really are that good.

Mad Poster
#932 Old 1st May 2019 at 5:22 PM Last edited by smorbie1 : 2nd May 2019 at 4:27 PM.
Enjoy them. I read the entire Oz series so many years ago that I can't remember them. I'm pretty sure I bought them for my kindle, though.

Forgot to say, just finished the book Infection. The premise was good and the book, itself, was as well. But, I won't be buying the second one. the first didn't end on a cliffhanger, and the book was awwwwwfully similar to others I've read, so I'm done.

Starting the book Contamination. I don't have high hopes.

Bailed on Contamination. I might go back to it, but it seems like a zombie rehash.

Anyway, I'm read Revelation in my personal Bible study. It made me want to read the Left Behind series, again. Another great thing about Kindle is that I can just buy books from my device. It one instant it was goodbye Zombies, hello end times.

Mad Poster
#933 Old 11th Jun 2019 at 4:55 AM
Been reading up on DIY makeup books and I am impressed by how one book explains the tactile requirements for things like eyeshadow and lipstick and its functions and the ingredients, appliances, not to mention safety gear for handling things like mica color powder and carmine for example.

A link in the Kindle version is provided for people who learn better with step by step instructions in a video format.

As much as I would buy this book, I still need to buy a wireless internet adapter and a replacement Gameboy Advance charger.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Scholar
#934 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 11:22 AM

*sobs*
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#935 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 12:07 PM
I've been reading My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell. Me and my family watched the series together and really enjoyed it, and after watching the documentary on the Durrells' life after living in Corfu, my mum bought me the book. I'm really enjoying it so far, it's nicely written and feels very magical, even though I usually mainly read young adult fiction books.
Mad Poster
#936 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 1:22 PM
Finally finished the Left Behind series. I'd forgotten it is fourteen books in all. So, I discovered there's a sequel to it. Just started it.

The books, themselves are great, and I discovered I enjoyed it more reading them all at once.

Mad Poster
#937 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 11:10 PM
I currently have "Inquisitor" by John and Carole Barrowman, last book in the Conjuror series (continuation on their Hollow Earth series) as my backpack read. The series is fun and easy reading, but it's not by any means a masterpiece, and it does have a few of the more annoying flaws I often find in YA books, like the "get out of trouble a bit too easy" card all over the place, and some things that are pushing the rules of the fantasy-in-RealWorld-setting a little too hard to be credible. I mostly got it because I wanted to see if the "Captain" could really write books, and kinda just wanted to see how the story ended.

Then there's the "Time Lord Fairy Tales" book that's taken me ages to get through (I occasionally read a fairytale or two before going to bed - they're basically short, WHO-ified recreations of old fairytales like Cinderella), and another DW book I can't remember the title of (basically the "monster book of monsters" equivalient) which I almost finished, but somehow it got buried under a pile of HP books that now have found their way into a bookshelf, so I may finally get back to it.

I also have one of the last Generation one books by Pittacus Lore (or whatever the actual author's name is) on my nightstand, but it's been rather forgotten about as I only managed to get maybe 1/5th into the book (not because it was bad or anything, but I've had a period lately of very little night-time reading).
Test Subject
#938 Old 10th Jul 2019 at 4:11 PM
I Will Find You: Solving Killer Cases from My Life Fighting Crime

Written by Joe Kenda, a retired Lt. Joe Kenda from Colorado Springs. He has a TV show called Homicide Hunter on the Investigation Discovery channel where he recounts stories of cases he has solved. He solved almost 400 cases. Really interesting show and book! I love it!
Mad Poster
#939 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 10:52 AM
"Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
Heard it was being made into a series with David Tennant in one of the main roles (can TOTALLY see him as Crawley! XD) so I got curious. It's not "roll around laughing" like advertised, but I've gotten some good laughs and a lot of giggles out of it.

I've tried books by Gaiman before, and they were okay (the one or two I finished, anyway), and he wrote a couple decent enough Doctor Who episodes. TP's books... I don't know, haven't read a lot from him (but did enjoy a short TV series based on some of his work). Perhaps what I needed was the combination of the two.
Mad Poster
#940 Old 15th Sep 2019 at 12:43 PM
In the night garden: all aboard the ninkynonk
2/5 stars
Explains what happens in the second sentence, plot twist though Makka pakka doesn't get on the ninkynonk, he just wants to clean it. Not the most climactic ending. Lots of pretty colours though and the words are funny which makes little one giggle like mad.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#941 Old 15th Sep 2019 at 3:43 PM
^ *gigglesnorts*

I don't think books for 0-3 year olds are supposed to appeal much to adults, but if the little one loves 'em, at least one of you get some great entertainment value out of it
Mad Poster
#942 Old 15th Sep 2019 at 9:26 PM
Well I did enjoy 'The Tiger who came to tea' but I loved it as a child so maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic

"Baby's first word book" was pretty disappointing though, no plot at all!

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#943 Old 15th Sep 2019 at 10:06 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Sep 2019 at 11:34 AM.
'The Tiger who came to tea' does sound a lot more exciting (popup books are strangely enjoyable, particularly for a slightly childlsh adult - my 4 year old niece showed me one she had, and it kept me occupied for at least ten minutes ). As a child (and adult, when buying books for kids in the family) I've preferred the more interactive books, like the "see and feel" ones with patches of various textures, or popup/flap books, or books where you're supposed to find items, or books with good stories. For age 0-2 it is a good idea to have some books with thick pages so they can handle (and chew on) the book like a toy. The ones with thin pages usually don't survive unless kept safe in a bookshelf.

"Baby's first word book" - you just have to find the right one. Some are rather boring (A for Apple, etc.), but I know I had a couple more interesting ones when I was a kid.

My brothers and I actually learned to read using the same book about a truck. Last time I saw the book it had gone through several repairs and most definitely looked like it was at least 30 years old... which it was. The book had letters in a large and easy to read font, had thick pages for easy handling, was illustrated, and had some kind of plot, so it was kind of perfect for a first book.
Mad Poster
#944 Old 31st Oct 2019 at 5:11 PM
I know this forum is inactive. I read a lot; I just forget to post. But yesterday, I read the Lost Causes of Bleak Creek, by Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal. It was fabulous.

It is set in a small southern town in the 1990's. The town felt familiar to me. The story had laughs in all the right places and a steady tension that grew and grew from very early on.

I INHALED that book. I read it in one day, which I seldom do, because I want to play my sims every day, so I usually alternate reading and playing. But yesterday I was ALL ABOUT reading that book.

Well worth looking into.

Scholar
#945 Old 3rd Nov 2019 at 9:06 PM Last edited by Noa1500 : 8th Nov 2019 at 5:28 PM.
It seems that this is the first book I've picked up to read in forever. Need to Know by Karen Cleveland is an espionage novel. Reading the blurb it seems to be a bog standard CIA analyst finds undercover Russian spies equals chaos plot line. Hopefully its written well and tuts out to be fun. I'll be back (eventually)

Edit: It was super meh, its the kind of story where you know what's going to happen save for a few minor details. The main character was an idiot, but emotions probs go wild when stuff like that happens so who knows. Good news is that is it was a quick read. The ending was totally expected but was kind of amusing.
Mad Poster
#946 Old 11th Nov 2019 at 4:16 PM Last edited by smorbie1 : 12th Nov 2019 at 3:36 PM.
Forgotten Child written by forgotten person. Avoid at all costs.

It sounds great. A woman has a car crash and wakes up with an extra kid in the car. He has almost nothing to do with the story. It's just a boring, let's call it a mystery, but it's just boring.

Last night I started reading....again.....for about the millionth time, The Once and Future King by T.H. White. It is my favorite book (not counting the Bible) of all time. It is the story of Camelot, from the Arthur's time living with his foster family to the end of his reign. It's the book from which the play Camelot was derived.

Mad Poster
#947 Old 30th Nov 2019 at 9:06 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 29th Dec 2019 at 8:06 AM.
Fire Force, Volume 1.
Manga. (Action)
Author (Story and Art): Atsushi Ohkubo

Got the full book as a promo through Amazon. I wanted a comedy or the shoujo type, but it had did.

A young teenage boy with pyrokinetic powers and the trademark footprint-shaped burns known as "The Devil's Footprints" as the fire comes from his feet, joins a crew of assassins who kill people who spontaneously combust into Infernals, who were doomed to die by fire.

It's got weird aesthetics of Catholic facades and 19th century designs for vehicles.

It's by Kodansha Publishing who works on both sides of the Pacific.

Theorist
#948 Old 1st Dec 2019 at 2:40 PM
I just finished (in one night) this book that opened my eyes to something you don't really think about--
It's called Human Prey by Holly Austin Smith.
If you have kids, grandkids, kids you love, read this book. Talk to your at risk kids (there are many definitions of "at risk") about making smart choices. Girls at 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 are most vulnerable but boys can also be victims. I think a lot of young people need a self esteem boost and to realize they are special and need to develop their talents, not just expect a relationship to complete them.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#949 Old 12th Dec 2019 at 6:11 PM
Fallen, by Benedict Jacka.
It's urban fantasy, kinda in the same street as Dresden Files. Only just started on this one, but the previous books were good.

Just finished the Hero book by Michael Grant (in the Monster/Villain/Hero trilogy, sequels to the Gone series). The ending was strange (very open-ended) so I'm not sure what I think. I'd hoped for a better conclusion, but by the sound of it he's leaving it up to fanfiction. The rest was good, though.

Also dug up (almost quite literally - they've been hanging out in boxes under the stairs the past 3 years, turned out they were at the bottom and well hidden) my Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, which I've been looking for a while now.
I really like the overall story, but I've noticed in particular with the later series (from book 7 and on, but especially after the last book in the first "main" series - they're almost all directly connected) there's a very annoying tendency of multiple repeats of what's happened in earlier books, even earlier in that particular book, sometimes going on for page after page, which kind of halts the story progression too much. If you've gotten to the second or third or even fourth series in a long-running saga with roughly the same characters, you'd be somewhat familiar with the series already, so no need for repeating the same thing several times in each book. A casual mention is fine if a reminder could be needed, maybe a quick and slightly more in-depth recap no more than half a page if it's very important for the plot, but not 3-4 pages or more. In one of the later series, a couple of the characters are also particularly annoying, repeating the same catchphrase at least twice every chapter they're in, so that gets annoying pretty fast (especially when first "read-through" was a very droning audiobook where once you notice one of these annoying things, you notice every single instance of it, and it gets so much more annoying, because every time you read the sequels in book format, you 'hear' it in that audiobook voice... Sometimes I get the feeling the story in those books is dragged out to meet the requirement of so-and-so many pages, when you really could cut 1/3 of the writing and not even notice. Anyhow, this time around I'm kind of skimming the books, basically skipping over the boring parts and sometimes jumping straight to the good parts. Makes it easier to get through those 20+ books, most with roughly 500-900 pages, which I sincerely don't have the head for at the moment...

Also found an older series I've been meaning to complete, but I could not remember which books I had. Thought I had 3 out of 5, but turns out I have 4. Only ever read the first book, so I guess that could be the next series once I've gotten hold of the missing book.
Alchemist
#950 Old 13th Dec 2019 at 8:36 AM
I want to get back into reading again. Got 1984 for a start.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!