Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 7:08 AM
Default How do I make a custom head
I did it on the sims 2 and I was just wondering how to do it on the sims 3
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 9:09 AM
You can make custom -hair- for TS3. And if you wanted to, say, make the Powerpuff Girls (who have faces that really couldn't be sculpted in a sim face) you could do a custom accessory that covers the entire head completely and looks like a head. But as for 3D editing the face mesh itself, that is not believed possible at this time - it's early enough in the game that it may change, but right now nobody knows how to do that and the only info we do have suggests that what is saved with a sim is not a 3D mesh for the face (as with TS2) but a set of definitions of slider positions.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 10:23 AM
Actually, it is possible to 3D edit the head mesh. Observe:

I did this with Milkshape. They work great with the ear scale and rotator sliders, too:

The only problem is, it affects *all* YA males (since that's the mesh I changed). I tried following RoguePilot's tutorial on making non-replacement meshes, but either I messed up somewhere, it can't be applied to heads, or both - 'cause this is what I ended up with:

*sigh*

I could live with accessories, but only if changing the skintone affected the ears as well. But then, with accessories you have the problem of not being able to give them earrings/gloves/whatever...

I really hope this can be fixed somehow, 'cause not having elf ears when trying to re-make certain sims is driving me nuts.

Please don't PM/IM me with requests
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 10:27 AM
Well, I meant 3D edit a particular face.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Field Researcher
#5 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 10:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Well, I meant 3D edit a particular face.

Ah, yeah... Well, the interesting thing is, I've noticed different lods (lod0, lod1...) LOD0 seems to be the main face that affects everyone, but what about 1-3? What are they for, if you can only adjust one face in CAS?

retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 10:58 AM
LOD1 is used for the portrait picture on the UI and low detail. The others are used when zoomed out.

Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 11:03 AM
Hmm, okay - accessories it is then, I guess. Oh well.

Thanks for the info

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 7:03 AM
how do I photoshop it
Mad Poster
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 10:53 AM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 22nd Aug 2009 at 11:19 AM.
Wow, Sadie79, the elf head looks great - how frustrating that it can only be a default replacement. I almost wouldn't mind having it myself anyway, as I don't use any Young Adults in my game, so I could happily just have a whole subgroup of young adult elves (and a very young Mr Spock!), but then you'd have the problem of any children in the game turning into elves when they hit Young Adult age, and then turning back into humans when they become adults!

I've heard that Delphy is working on making some sliders that do things the default sliders can't do - I saw some examples in the 'Modding Disasters' thread where he demonstrated the ability to increase bust size, make a giraffe neck or an enormous head - I wonder if he could add an ear slider that would allow changing the shape of the ear to a pointy elf shape?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 7:37 PM
See two options here, One might be to do a default replace on the ear out morph, keep the morph small so you would need a slider hack to get the full effect. This would keep the effect on default sims small and probably only improve the look on sims with very outstanding ears.

Best option would be new sliders, it already looks like the proof of concept is valid, an elf ear slider would only have to interact with the two existing ear morphs and the head width.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 10:06 PM
That would be ideal. I do hope Delphy can do that - the fact that he's already demoed a bust slider is just fantastic That was one of the things I was really missing - buff women have boobs too! :P

@EsmeraldaF: Thanks And yes, it is very frustrating. I'm clueless on accessories too, so at the moment they're in the form of a Milkshape file that I'll no doubt have to export again if/when I can use it.

retired moderator
#12 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 10:12 PM
I asked about ear sliders and unfortunately, there isn't a bone that controls just the top of the ear so it's not possible with what he's working on now. Geometry based sliders may be possible in future, but right now all the additional sliders he's adding are bone-based.

Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 2:41 PM
Delphy
I've seen all of Delphy's stuff, tried some of them, and I must say, it's really awesome, just the fact that Delphy can make programs that allow us to have more fun with sims 3, it's just incredible. Thumbs up, Delphy, really. The reason I write here is because I've read that he demoed a head/neck and bust slider. I'd really like to see more of that. I don't know where to go to view info and see pictures about this. Help please.