Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2010 at 10:40 PM
Default Trying to Make a Wedding Arch, please help!
Hello everyone, I'm a new mesher whom has never created a mesh before, the wedding arch I had in mind is this: http://www.weddingdecoratorblog.com...8753fec08_b.jpg

My issue is, I have absolutely no idea how to curve my cylinders! Is it even possible to create a wedding arch with that level of details(like with the branches and everything). I have done the table tutorial and I'm still quite confused, any help is appreciated immensely and i'm using the lawn flamingo mesh to create it(i was thinking about using a column but i wasnt sure if i could make it so the wedding arch-column clone would be in buy mode and not build mode.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 12:00 AM
Hi DDR That arch is an extremely ambitious object for someone who is new to meshing...or even for someone who has mastered the basics to be honest. My suggestion to you for now is to master the tutorial first and then move on to projects which are more difficult.

If the table tutorial is confusing you, ask questions about the steps that are giving you problems so you get a firm understanding of the basics.

To make a cylinder curve you need to make a cylinder with several stacks and then use the Rotate and Move functions to move the stacks relative to one another until they give the curve you want. However, for the object you showed in the picture, I think you would ultimately end up having to use an alpha to get the kind of detailing you want. If you just try placing a texture onto a cylinder without an alpha you're going to end up with something that looks flat.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 12:24 AM
Yay! You called me DDR =) that was going to be my brand name on my creations =).I understood the table tutorial quite well, my problem is I havent a clue how to do anything else. I made the table over twice before I got it right. What would you reccommend I start trying to make first? My goal is to become a great mesher and I'd be more than grateful for any suggestions =)
Alchemist
#4 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 1:21 PM
Ok...sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying about the table tutorial. Pretty much all objects are made the same basic way the table is with some minor differences here and there.

When you say you haven't a clue how to make anything else is the issue that you don't know how to use Milkshape or that you don't know how to use the S3 tools? If you're more familiar with some other program like Milkshape it's probably the case you could use the one you're more familiar with to create your mesh and just use Milkshape to get the clone out of the game and your mesh back into the package.

To get the detail on the wedding arch you showed you might want to look at how EA gets the detail on objects like their house plants...they use alphas so that they can get texture on parts that stick out and look leafy without having to mesh each individual branch and leaf.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 2:37 PM
I think it's more so that I dont understand the S3 tools...lol I feel really embarassed saying that, but yes. I experimented alot with milkshape last night and I think I have a pretty good grasp on that in itself. I'm quite familiar with alphas though, because I did create for Second Life in the past. I am just seriously not used to 3d models.
Alchemist
#6 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 7:09 PM
Well just about any other object you make is going to follow the general steps that you learned in the table tutorial. Pick your clone making sure to pick something that is similar in nature to what you want to create, clone it, export the MODL/MLODs and the IMG's, decompile the MODL/MLODs, replace each with your new version, assign the mesh's joint(s), import those back into the package, modify the IMG's, import those back into the package, and check in the game after installing the package how you usually install your custom content.

Again, for the wedding arch, I think an object that has an alpha overlay IMG would be the best thing to try cloning. That way you could just alter the EA overlay rather than having to learn to add overlay functionality to an object that doesn't have it. The EA house plants all have an overlay I think. Try cloning one of those to take a look at it. Maybe try making a simple replacement mesh for one just to get the hang of working with that clone before moving on to try replacing a second clone with the wedding arch.

Just a suggestion
Test Subject
#7 Old 21st Aug 2010 at 2:14 AM
Default Arch but Needs meshing to work
When you go into the build section category type in arch when in; It Will give you arch ways that can connect to each other. With decoration and a few designs it will become a wedding arch. You will have to mesh it for wedding or something else that could work. you can also change the color of the arches and the flowers/ ribbons/decor items etc.

Hope it will work out for you and hoping you can send it to me when finished.
From Gamergal1223

Also you probably need to pick the right category to put it in. You can put it in with party stuff since it a weeding arch.