Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 11:14 PM
Default Reflection
When I loaded this completed mesh into the game, there was some glossiness causing an ugly texture mismatch at the waist. I removed all textures from the mesh trying to find the cause, including the alpha, normal, diffuse, and specular maps. I'm assuming the problem is with the normals. Everything looks good in MilkShape, and I don't have any ideas on how to continue short of replacing all of the body parts in the mesh. Is there any OTHER way to proceed? Oddly, I loaded the Maxis default body and copied the top 3 rows of normal data onto the new mesh with Wes Howe's Normal Data Merge with no change. I'm stumped with this one.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 11:17 PM
Forgot to post the pic-- sorry for the double post.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 12:28 AM
Kinda looks like the bottom is using a different shader. Is that possible? Could you upload the meshes?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 2:33 AM Last edited by sciguy77 : 29th Dec 2013 at 4:00 AM.
Here are all 3 LOD's. If you find anything please let me know exactly what I have to do in order to both fix it and keep it from ever happening again. Whatever happened is also affecting all the LOD's of the new body shape. I never noticed it before because the nude tops and bottoms were always used together, and any new meshes I made were full body. I have to correct everything!
BTW, thanks for pointing me to the burnt top for the pregnant morph. I don't know where I got the one I've been using as a template, but it was WAY off.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Bad shading.zip (320.6 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 8:46 AM
Can't be a shader in the mesh itself - WSO meshes don't have a shader. What did you clone your TSRW project from? I'm thinking possibly you cloned from something with a different shader or some texture somewhere that's doing this. I cloned the nude bottom and imported your mesh, and everything looks fine in TSRW. Is that pic from TSRW?

BTW, the lod1 mesh doesn't have that skirt - maybe you mixed it up with another mesh.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 12:34 PM Last edited by sciguy77 : 29th Dec 2013 at 1:04 PM.
I cloned the afBottomSkirtMini_pleat and replaced the legs with the ones in the LOD I sent you . I grabbed them by mistake when I zipped the LOD's, sorry about that. I had to open TSRW as soon as I read the mesh looked fine when imported over the nude bottom and check it out. You can't imagine how relieved I am. Just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind I cloned that skirt again and imported the mesh and sure enough, the line is there. It has to be some kind of shader causing the problem because I removed every texture including the 4 assigned directly to the mesh. WHATEVER caused it, using the nude bottom has cleared up the problem. From now on every mesh I make will a bare waist will be imported into a cloned item with a bare waist also. I can't help but wonder how many projects I scrapped when I was first getting started because of similar problems at the waist. Thanks for taking the time to look into this! All that's left to finish the project is to import the textures!

Edit: After cloning the afBottomSkirtMini_pleat to see if I could duplicate the shading problem, I went back and cloned the nude bottom. When I imported my mesh again, the line reappeared. I had to close TSRW and start over to get rid of it. Once I did that though, everything looks fine. Dunno what is causing the problem, but it's like a darn virus, Once it gets into TSRW it's there to stay!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 4:51 PM
Most likely it's a bug in TSRW causing it to retain some setting somewhere from the previous project when starting a new one. I'm going to take a look at cloning the pleated skirt and see if I can figure out what going on with it.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 3:35 AM
Well, I found another problem, and surprise surprise, it was my fault. When I moved the UV map around, I scaled the section from the waist seam to the top of the skirt along with the skirt itself. The shininess was still related to the pleated skirt, but the misaligned waist had to so with the UV scale. There's something really odd with this newest version of TSRW though. After reworking the UV, I had to move the skirt under the right arm, Now it won't let me texture anything near the leg. even though I'm well inside the area allowed by the part map. Hopefully it'll clear up after taking a break. I know the new multiplier is good, I brought it into MS3D as a material and it looks perfect.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#9 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 1:01 PM
Have done some poking. When I cloned the pleat skirt and imported your mesh, it looked fine except for the texturing. After I removed the CASP textures (except the skin specular and ambient) I noticed two very slight seams around the waist and the upper hips in the skirt mesh, which I think is a matter of smoothing groups in the mesh. They are not there in the nude mesh.

Then I went into the mesh materials and removed them, and voila, the weird purple shininess appeared. I narrowed it down to the mesh specular map - when it's made empty the shininess appears. The nude bottom doesn't have a specular map as such; it seems to have a color setting instead, but the empty map may be carried over from the previous project since there's no map links in the WSO itself.

Sockpuppet
#10 Old 31st Dec 2013 at 11:44 AM
you can not use the make empty function when the specular is a dxt1noalpha texture format.
The make empty function will load the empty overlay CAC dxt5 texture wich has a alpha channel by default.
It might sound strange but this alphachannel will then enable the specular and/or color of the pattern that is used.

This is a setup that is by default used on objects, it screws things up on CASp.