Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One Minute Ninja'd
#26 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
That is pretty strange. I was under the impression that the subways are teleporters, I didn't realize they programmed it to actually function underground. But I never had this problem b/c I actually took out all the subways in Bridgeport. I prefer to watch my sims drive or take Taxi. Irony is, I placed subways in all 3 of the WA worlds. Needless to say, I'm quite insane.

I never want to pass judgement on self diagnosis, but adding subway stops to Shang Simla does constitute questionable behavior. The only thing I ever found that really fucked up my subways were the damn horses. Once they're stuck in the turnstile, evening rush is ruined for everyone.

One other water taxi problem that comes with IP arises once again from the insistence of horses to use the water taxi to go visit their horsy friends. Talk about a clusterfuck. Never mind taking your horse on your houseboat out for a nautical jaunt. My advice on adding IP, make sure you get NRaas Register and banish the damn horses.

Otherwise, I have to admit, IP actually played quite well for me without a ton of lag. Maybe I was just lucky, or very careful to watch for water jams and resetting the sims' asses back home before it became overwhelming. Personally, I liked the EP, and would recommend it. And while dive spots are not always feasible in every world, I do make use of the resorts in each world I rotate through. Overall, not a perfect EP, but one I wouldn't uninstall.
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#27 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 2:00 AM
That is pretty strange. I was under the impression that the subways are teleporters, I didn't realize they programmed it to actually function underground. (...)
Of course there aren't any tiny subway tunnels or sewer systems underneath any EA town. I was talking in a more figurative sense because my test Sims disappeared into the station and never came back. The transportation itself is like teleporting but when they were supposed to "resurface" at their destination station they didn't. Judging from the sounds they continued on foot and I could still follow their pumbobs that were moving along the streets accompanied by the sound of tiny pattering feet.
The locations where I had placed the ports were the area near the warehouse dance club (2 ports) and the bay area between the bridge and the beach near the hospital (1 port). I haven't tried to do this again since then. Too much trouble and lost time for my tastes.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 2:29 PM
Has anyone tried putting subways on Island Paradise? Maybe that will solve the lag issue.

This is a really interesting idea. Also do those telephone booths from supernatural work the same way underground or are they teleports? Perhaps using a teleportation system would be another way to solve IP's issue, because if it's just underground walking I feel like it might just take too long to walk considering it takes mermaids forever to swim everywhere.
Instructor
#30 Old 25th Feb 2020 at 4:36 AM
I was wondering if Island Paradise comes with any new vegetation? I love the Sunlit Tides and Lucky Palms worlds, and I'm always looking for more trees, bushes and flowers that add a tropical or desert vibe. And the resort aspect of building and running them (with mods) does sound cool. But after hearing for years how horrible some of the things do to your playing, I don't think I would ever play in Isla Paradisio (or whatever it's called). I mostly buy EPs and SPs for the content they give me :-)

goderguy
Inventor
#31 Old 25th Feb 2020 at 5:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by goderguy
I was wondering if Island Paradise comes with any new vegetation? I love the Sunlit Tides and Lucky Palms worlds, and I'm always looking for more trees, bushes and flowers that add a tropical or desert vibe. And the resort aspect of building and running them (with mods) does sound cool. But after hearing for years how horrible some of the things do to your playing, I don't think I would ever play in Isla Paradisio (or whatever it's called). I mostly buy EPs and SPs for the content they give me :-)

Yes, it has tons of tropical vegetation. Next time I launch my game, I'll make sure to take a screenshot of every plant, tree and flower it has.
Instructor
#32 Old 25th Feb 2020 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Yes, it has tons of tropical vegetation. Next time I launch my game, I'll make sure to take a screenshot of every plant, tree and flower it has.

This is wonderful news! Even if you don’t happen to screenshot everything, just knowing it comes with all of it is good enough for me. I presume, like with other content from other EPs and SPs, that it can be used in other worlds?

goderguy
Mad Poster
#33 Old 29th Feb 2020 at 3:56 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 4th Mar 2020 at 4:09 PM. Reason: some bad grammer I know fixing it. Also fixing failed quote
I personally don't think it's that worth it if you're not spending your time for the world dedicated to most of that gameplay.

Resort management, which is probably the thing that i can think that doesn't require a islandy setup or complex requirements like with dive lots, is not really that fleshed out and 'chunky' of a thing to play with. All it really is just owning a property like if it's a regular community lot, and applying to do a check list so to speak to get more money. It's kind of a 'laid back' type of thing, where you don't have to do much of concentration or planing. Also a missed mark: maybe I'm just doing wrong, but if you're the owner or playing the household that isn't involved in any way with the resort, the simulation doesn't really play in and so you won't really see a huge trafficing in that lot nor sims interacting with the objects place it.

And then there a trivial interaction like sunbathing and I believe) sand castle building, which are just very mild and trivial features in grand scheme of things that doesn't justify handing over 20 euros for ONLY just that.

As of playing with and without the pack installed, I realized I'm not really missing out having it uninstalled. So really, if you aren't in rush to play the expansion pack for the world's that accommodated to be played on, I'd suggest holding off your purchase. For a begginer, perhaps choose an expansion pack like Generations or showtime at a great discount, supernatural for half the price, late night or university at full price both of which seems like universal packs as they offer features that suits for many players.

Also, just to keep a reminder or bring attention to so it doesn't go unnotice....
Quote: Originally posted by ChaoticMoira
Speaking of which, off topic, but if anyone has tips on how they protect their save files I would be happy to hear it. I always just saved over my previous save, and now I am using "save as" for every save, but that makes me have a TON of saved games in my game. There has got to be a better way.

I'm sure people can help you with that, but you might need to open a seperate thread for that or look up for the answers yourself by googling it.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Inventor
#34 Old 29th Feb 2020 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by goderguy
This is wonderful news! Even if you don’t happen to screenshot everything, just knowing it comes with all of it is good enough for me. I presume, like with other content from other EPs and SPs, that it can be used in other worlds?

Sorry, I had completely forgotten about this.

Here:

I also included potted plants on the left corner. And yes, you can use its content in other worlds. Heck, if you want dive lots and don't want to play in Isla Paradiso, just copy the lots to your library and put them in a world with routable ocean and that's it.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 29th Feb 2020 at 4:35 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 1st Mar 2020 at 2:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I personally don't it's not that worth it if you're not spending your time for the world dedicated to most of that gameplay.

TBH, if you can find a custom world that integrates IP content, it’s definitely fun- houseboats and diving are great alternate lifestyles to landlocked life. But definitely agree that the other content beyond that is somewhat underdeveloped.

Also have not experienced the lag IP is famous for- but it’s 100% due to the world itself.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 29th Feb 2020 at 4:55 PM
I would also recommend ITF, although it's not everyone's cup of tea, it has interesting features. If you can get pass the situational theme of it and how the pack's time effect could have been better fleshed out (which is why I think the last one could have been something else), it can be an enjoyable experience. Maybe not at full price.

Inventor
#37 Old 29th Feb 2020 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
TBH, if you can find a custom world that integrates IP content, it’s definitely fun

I think Sim Lau Isles by MySimsRealty is a good alternative to Isla Paradiso. It's not that much smaller but it runs noticeably better.

Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
houseboats and diving are greater alternate lifestyles to landlocked life. But definitely agree that the other content beyond that is somewhat underdeveloped.

I think resorts are really developed. I don't know what else could've been done with them. You can hire employees, assign their uniforms, add new amenities, provide new services like weddings, upgrade the rabbit hole thingy, build new bedrooms and private suites, choose the food you want to serve, try to increase the stars by reading reviews, keep the finances in check, etc. I honestly don't know what else could've been done with resorts. They're as well developed as they could be (the only feature I found myself missing was room service, like in The Sims 2 Bon Voyage).

Besides resorts, there's also the scuba diving self-employed career, the life guard active career, mermaids (which aren't all that developed, but make for the best scuba divers), and dozens of new gameplay objects like new pool objects, pool bar and slide, new food stands, the hot coals to walk through fire, all the boats and water transportation, beach towels, wind surf, water ski, etc. It's a very content-heavy expansion and definitely miss its features when I don't have it installed.

If it weren't for the perfomance issues in Isla Paradise, I'd probably put it up there with Late Night and Ambitions as one of the most fun and useful expansions.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 29th Feb 2020 at 10:09 PM
It's strange seeing Bridgeport in its near-default state with someone asking whether it's safe to add lots to the city, because I did just that a number of years ago and have never had any issues with it. I wasn't able to use Create-a-World so realism be damned, but at least it's not as awfully empty as it once was. I don't think highly of myself in terms of Build Mode, at least, I didn't 5 years ago, but there's angles this all looks absolutely lovely from.

It really is an ugly, buggy, poorly designed world. But it's very playable. Ignore the wonky roads, the large patches of inaccessible land, the general lack of detailing and the low lot density, and it's certainly a decent attempt from EA. But to answer the question: no, it doesn't work with boat routing and I never expected otherwise. That would've been too much to ask.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#39 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 2:39 AM
I think Sim Lau Isles by MySimsRealty is a good alternative to Isla Paradiso. It's not that much smaller but it runs noticeably better.

It's largely because routing is mostly land-based; I think the lag comes from sims having to switch between land and sea transport (and the game trying to calculate routing for that).
Mad Poster
#40 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 1:10 PM
Might been too much for the machine to handle, but would been kinda cool if dive lots were as open ended as the open world.

Field Researcher
#41 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 4:01 PM
You can disable boat routing with NRAAS GoHere mod, it can help with stuck boat taxi lag scenarios.

I have a separate problem with IP, I play in a lot of custom worlds and when I play in a world that was built before IP and doesn't have proper water routing, the whole world's routing gets messed up because sims start SWIMMING everywhere. I have found no way to fix this until now. Since I installed all the EPs together, I don't actually know if this "swim to a lot" feature got introduced with IP, but I guess it was, because when I used to play with Base Game only many many years ago I remember my sims weren't able to swim in the ocean, let alone traverse huge bodies of water by swimming.
Inventor
#42 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PasTaCopine
Since I installed all the EPs together, I don't actually know if this "swim to a lot" feature got introduced with IP, but I guess it was, because when I used to play with Base Game only many many years ago I remember my sims weren't able to swim in the ocean, let alone traverse huge bodies of water by swimming.

Swimming in the ocean and ocean routing was introduced with SEASONS (Patch 42)
Water transportation / water taxis were introduced with ISLAND PARADISE (this actually wasn't patched in and requires IP to be installed)
Mad Poster
#43 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 6:46 PM
Might been too much for the machine to handle, but would been kinda cool if dive lots were as open ended as the open world.

I think it would have essentially used the normal routing system, but maybe tied to the underwater terrain itself (your sim 'swims' at a certain distance from the terrain), like they do on dive lots.

I think full underwater routing could have very much been equally possible had the EP development gone differently- but the main inhibitor would have been the need to decorate the entire seabed (higher system requirements and incompatibility with existing worlds), vs. a single richly-decorated lot.

Not that it would add much to gameplay, but honestly I sort of wonder if it might be something that could be modded? Has anyone tried adding a dive buoy off-lot?

Water transportation / water taxis were introduced with ISLAND PARADISE (this actually wasn't patched in and requires IP to be installed)

I think ocean swimming is rated as less attractive/fast than water taxis, which is why sims would still stick on paths pre-IP, as opposed to hopping onto water taxis post-IP (have seen this in a few worlds).

If the world is well-connected with roads, I think road routing still usually comes out on top compared to other modes of transportation.
Inventor
#44 Old 3rd Mar 2020 at 7:39 PM
One of those loading screen rolling text snippets says "Running in slow motion ...", so don't say you haven't been warned.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 4th Mar 2020 at 6:31 AM
Also, just to keep a reminder or bring attention to so it doesn't go unnotice....
Speaking of which, off topic, but if anyone has tips on how they protect their save files I would be happy to hear it. I always just saved over my previous save, and now I am using "save as" for every save, but that makes me have a TON of saved games in my game. There has got to be a better way.

I'm sure people can help you with that, but you might need to open a seperate thread for that or look up for the answers yourself by googling it. [/QUOTE]

Save Cleaner by Kuree! I prefer using the V2.1 because V2.2 gets rid of in-game photos in frames.
I also use "Save as" frequently and move my previous saves to a back-up folder regularly leaving only about 2-3 saves in my game.
(Ex: If my last save is Sunset Valley8, I keep Sunsey Valley7 in the game too, but move Sunset Valley 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 to another folder so they don't clutter up my in-game selection menu. When I "save as" Sunsey Valley 9, I also move Sunset Valley 7 along with the others to the backup folder.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 4th Mar 2020 at 6:33 AM

Ahh, really? I have found NO way of turning off ocean routing so far..
Mad Poster
#47 Old 4th Mar 2020 at 6:48 AM
I totally love this EP and do lots extending into water and do houseboats in pretty much every world I make. I think the dive lots are beautiful. I think it is super fun to see a Sim water ski and jet ski and so on. The world is beautiful. It is a must have EP IMO. I have never had the lag issues some folks have, thank goodness.

Not sure why we are talking about this in as ancient of a thread as this..... but I give it a thumbs up.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 4th Mar 2020 at 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PasTaCopine
Ahh, really? I have found NO way of turning off ocean routing so far..

NRaas GoHere has an option to disable boat routing and is very useful in worlds where it doesn't make sense for sims to be routing that way.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 4th Mar 2020 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Not sure why we are talking about this in as ancient of a thread as this.....

*targets eyes with zany look while whimsically points fingers at goderguy*

Page 2 of 2