Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 9:46 PM
Default Random kid after time travel ?
Ok , so my sim , Ruth got back from the future , with some new cloths and a duck , also a KID . This freaked me out . So I checked her family tree and she is only related to ruth , not ruths husband . I don't get this .
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 1:00 PM
Yeah my sim came back with a child after her first time travel. That really screwed up my plan.
Scholar
#3 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 1:06 PM
Well great. That's just great. You guys just completely destroyed future history! Congratulations!

Who do you think are, The Doctor? No, you're more like Philip J. Fry! Now go to your rooms and think about what you've done!

I jest, of course That's, uh, pretty interesting. What have your Sims been up to?

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 1:24 PM
Someone else had that happen, too:
http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...&postcount=1258
http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...&postcount=1261

Personally, I think it's awesome. My Inventor/Sculptor/Painter needs to keep up his family line, but he's too antisocial to talk to women. (Also I haven't found a cute Twinbrook woman yet.)
Solution? SCIENCE, OF COURSE.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 2:34 PM
Hopefully it doesn't happen everytime you time travel. My house doesn't have enough space for an 8 sim family.

I once thought i was sad because I had no shoes, then I saw a man with no feet.
Animals are such agreeable friends – they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 3:21 PM
Fairly sure it doesn't. My first inventor never had it happen to her -- though, admittedly, she only traveled four times. (Twice to each option.)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:03 PM
That can happen? That's hilarious.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:16 PM Last edited by Chronicle : 4th Jun 2010 at 4:24 PM. Reason: Remembered contacts.
I did it, I did it! 8D I managed to replicate this event with my own Inventor!

Here's the message I got. Slightly different from Clynnc's...

And here's the new son, AKA MOST ADORABLE CHILD EVER. :lovestruc Interestingly enough, I was watching as he appeared, and he seemed to come straight out of the *side* of the Time Machine. Weird.
Also: Random blue eyes? His father's eyes are gold. Hmmm.
EDIT: Nevermind, I just remembered that his father's eyecolor comes from contacts, which naturally his son would not spawn with. I'm a spacecase, ignore me~
He's inherited his father's clumsiness and most of his appearance, but his other two traits seem random: Over-Emotional and Loves the Outdoors.

Finally, the new family tree. I'm amused by the fact that he seems to have just asexually spawned or something, since he has no mother or... any other relations, really.
I'm still not sure how a snide comment and "Maybe that was one of my ancestors?!" translates into "ZOMG PARADOX KID," but hey, the results are adorable.
Also: "Quintin"? His name is Quintin? Really? (Says the girl who named her sim "Duamutef," I know, I know.) Uh... Okay, then?

So anyways yeah. Seems to be a planned feature? I find it rather cute, but uh... my brain explodes every time I try to figure out how this even works. Besides the paradoxes -- as I've mentioned before in another thread, how DENSE do you have to be not to recognize yourself? (Because the only way the paradox-spawn works is if you convinced your PAST SELF to have a child. That's the only logical explanation I can come up with.)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:19 PM
So does this only happen in the past, then?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:22 PM
As far as I can tell -- yes. I haven't traveled to the future very much, but it wouldn't make any sense changing your present by changing the future, so if EA made a similar event for future-travel... I would go and kick them in the shins. :P
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:45 PM
Well, it wouldn't have to be the same "scenario."
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:45 PM
One person birth? XD
Field Researcher
#13 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 5:00 PM
People, it's not rocket science. I don't even have the game yet and it doesn't take a genius to know that you are obviously bringing back a child from another time. Like those movies or tv shows about traveling back in time and bringing back a cave man. So since it's a child sim, obviously whoever time traveled is claimed to be it's parent. Come on people, what is with these one person birth, asexual comments. lol. It's not that difficult to figure out.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 5:01 PM
Yeah, well Chronicle's time travel kid looks just like his dad.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spotlight-shure
People, it's not rocket science. I don't even have the game yet and it doesn't take a genius to know that you are obviously bringing back a child from another time. Like those movies or tv shows about traveling back in time and bringing back a cave man. So since it's a child sim, obviously whoever time traveled is claimed to be it's parent. Come on people, what is with these one person birth, asexual comments. lol. It's not that difficult to figure out.

That doesn't make any sense though, given the scenario the game is telling us. It specifically says "I hope that didn't change the future!" And then a kid appears.
If it said "Oh, you found an abandoned orphan caveman child and brought him home with you!" that would be another thing, and I wouldn't make any comments. ;P

Quote: Originally posted by masterforger
Yeah, well Chronicle's time travel kid looks just like his dad.

That too. Even if I had just brought back one of my ancestors when they were a child, wouldn't that cause a mass collapse of the timestream, as my ancestor would no longer be around to give birth to my own family line? (Yes, I know, even traveling back in time in the first place ought to cause mass paradoxes. Let's use Video Game Logic for the time-travel here, save some headaches. )
Inventor
#16 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 5:07 PM
Ok who ever said that EA made sense? lol

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 5:09 PM
True. EA doesn't make sense, LOL.
But if they're going to spring a kid on you, ON PURPOSE, and they seem to give you a reason for it... let's not just make up a new random reason, even if the given reason makes precious little sense. ;P
Inventor
#18 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 5:14 PM
Well...maybe...when he traveled to the past, he woohoo'ed someone. And he brought the child through with him so the child is in existence in the present.
It doesn't show the other parent in the family tree because well they no longer exist being dead and whatnot.

They COULD have showed a greyed out icon for a parent and showed that they were deceased but maybe in the long run it would have borked the game somehow if you did that too many times cause it would have to generate a Sim to be the other parent.

But...they ALSO could have just added an icon with a question mark and marked them as a mystery sim. Remember how they did that in Sims 2 for past memories of a Sim's first kiss and such?

You can tell I'm bored at work can't you? lol

Field Researcher
#19 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 5:15 PM
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense though, given the scenario the game is telling us. It specifically says "I hope that didn't change the future!" And then a kid appears.
If it said "Oh, you found an abandoned orphan caveman child and brought him home with you!" that would be another thing, and I wouldn't make any comments. ;P

Well then i understand your frustration, lol. But like others just said, EA never makes sense. I think it's just their humor honestly.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenlea
Well...maybe...when he traveled to the past, he woohoo'ed someone. And he brought the child through with him so the child is in existence in the present.
It doesn't show the other parent in the family tree because well they no longer exist being dead and whatnot.

They COULD have showed a greyed out icon for a parent and showed that they were deceased but maybe in the long run it would have borked the game somehow if you did that too many times cause it would have to generate a Sim to be the other parent.

But...they ALSO could have just added an icon with a question mark and marked them as a mystery sim. Remember how they did that in Sims 2 for past memories of a Sim's first kiss and such?

You can tell I'm bored at work can't you? lol

Lol. That explanation definitely makes a lot more sense, and probably explains why it doesn't show the other parent.

But somehow, I still like thinking of Quintin as the "Time Paradox Child"... it's cute if you don't think about it too hard. Tee hee.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 6:06 PM
I would hate to think that my inventor would engage in some sort of time-warping infidelity. He's happily married.
Inventor
#22 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 6:08 PM
I can't wait to attempt this when I get the game. lol

Scholar
#23 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 6:45 PM
From the guide, slightly edited:
Quote:
Sims who travel to the past also have a chance of changing their family history. When your sim returns, they may have a completely different career or skill set, and another sim may be added/removed from the household. Your sim might even be killed, and come back as a ghost. If you have WA they might come back as a mummy. Mummys have a chance to return as a normal sim.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Test Subject
#24 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 6:56 PM
i did a try for baby in the past with my two sims and few days later i got a pop up message saying hi mom and dad you left me in a cave or something and so i had a new son that was a teenager (could nt bother with another child at the moment so i cheated age transition untill he died)
Test Subject
#25 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 7:07 PM
Quote:
Sims who travel to the past also have a chance of changing their family history. When your sim returns, they may have a completely different career or skill set, and another sim may be added/removed from the household. Your sim might even be killed, and come back as a ghost. If you have WA they might come back as a mummy. Mummys have a chance to return as a normal sim.

Wow. I guess I will always save my game before sending my sim into the time machine Wouldn't want to risk my favourite sim being killed...
Page 1 of 6