Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 4:14 PM
Default Do townies actually "do" non-rabbithole jobs?
Hi guys I was wondering if townies will actually do the jobs that come with amb. For example, If I put a townie in the painter career, maybe give them artistic trait and buy an easel for them are they actually going to use it in a sense that'll progress their career?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 5:47 PM
I think SP kind of automagically does some of that stuff- I've never actually seen a sim autonomously remove a painting from an easel before. I imagine it's because the devs wanted to keep them from losing it somehow after the amount of time they take, so I get it, but it seems kinda silly that they always just finish the painting and then wander away lol.

I *think* I've seen townies doing the ghosthunter career before on a lot next to mine that was having a minor haunting, lol, but I can't say that with 100% certainty because it was a while ago.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 10:12 PM
NRaas SP will progress sims through many of these careers, but you won't necessarily see them doing the job activities on screen (like producing paintings). In many cases they get credit for having done so off-screen instead as long as they have the required tools available (an easel). At least this has been players' experiences with both the SP Career and Skill modules in play.

You can have an inactive run daycare with the town and your actives dropping off the kids as needed, but that requires the NRaas GoHere mod and its options set accordingly. For some reason I think our friend @nitromon is allergic to that mod or his game is, something like that. However, in this case if the inactive isn't already pretty high up on the daycare career ladder, they are most likely going to ignore the kids they are supposed to be tending to. It's not really there for career progression for the daycare provider, but more like an interesting way to have the town's kids and yours tended to while the adults are working or doing other things.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
awee man why can't it be SP or career mod?

You would have to ask Twallan that question. Let me know when you find him, we have one or two other questions for him as well.

Again, the feature is not really meant to progress the daycare providers' careers. It's meant to impact if, when, and how sims with very young children can leave their homes so it falls under the purview of GoHere.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 10:57 PM
I know non-actives pursue Ghost Hunter, at least, because like Nitromon, that's one I've had to disallow.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 12:31 AM
I remember for the Firefighter career, all other sims at the fire station were there only to serve as props. Your sim was the only one going to the fires!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I remember for the Firefighter career, all other sims at the fire station were there only to serve as props. Your sim was the only one going to the fires!

That one would be impossible to simulate on-screen as the actual fires and disasters are too complex to not require player control. But I'm pretty sure the inactives still manage to progress through the skills and career ranks on their own with SP pushing them to do so.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
That one would be impossible to simulate on-screen as the actual fires and disasters are too complex to not require player control. But I'm pretty sure the inactives still manage to progress through the skills and career ranks on their own with SP pushing them to do so.

Definitely so, I would imagine that the townie firefighters would probably get themselves killed running around the fires they're supposed to put out.

But yes, I think just about everything not player-controlled is directed by Story Progression in a very spreadsheet sort of way.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#11 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 10:44 AM
From a non-SP perspective I think the only careers and professions that can progress in the background are the ones that include activities that inactive Sims can pursue autonomously.
So painters can progress because easel-painting is autonomous and inactives that have finished a painting will sell it off autonomously, too.
Anglers, on the other hand, cannot progress, because while fishing is autonomous, selling fish from inventories is not.

The caveat for this observation though is that I don't know whether an unmodded game will actually keep track of inactives' progress. With AwesomeMod it does, but it may very well be that while inactives paint and sell paintings on their own, an unmodded game won't register that.
Theorist
#12 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 2:06 PM
Actually, I specifically remember a conversation with Twallan telling me that NRaas SP makes non-actives do the firefighting in the background and that you’ll see the engine attending jobs. Now obviously I’ve never seen that happening and now I know why. It doesn’t do that at all.
I’m like 99% sure that’s what he said. It was my reason for actually downloading NRaas SP in the first place!

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Actually, I specifically remember a conversation with Twallan telling me that NRaas SP makes non-actives do the firefighting in the background and that you’ll see the engine attending jobs. Now obviously I’ve never seen that happening and now I know why. It doesn’t do that at all.
I’m like 99% sure that’s what he said. It was my reason for actually downloading NRaas SP in the first place!

This is purely observation from playing in Twinbrook frequently and leaving all of the notifications on (so this is what happens in my game at least). When Juan Darer enviably lights himself on fire at the invention station, I have seen SP send over someone in the firefighter career to put him out. That will give them career experience (the same with increasing their skills) and they can get promotions from that experience. However the sorts of jobs an active character will get when they join the firefighter career (large and small house fires, rabbit hole jobs, earthquakes) don't trigger. Likewise I've never seen it send out a doctor to do a vaccination clinic (though I could be missing that) or a private investigator do anything other than work at the police station. Ghost hunter jobs do occasionally spawn.

It does prompt inactives to paint, write, sculpt, make nectar, etc. for those self employed careers but since they have pretty steep requirements about how much money you have to make to get a promotion, inactives may never get more than one or two promotions (unless you have aging off or a really long lifespan).