Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 10:31 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Bodyshop crashing
Hi everyone!

I'm in need of help. My sims 2 bodyshop has randomly started crashing. I haven't used it or played the sims 2 for a while and when I went to export a sim I made a while back, it started crashng.
I've repaired the game, uninstalled and installed the game, 4GB patched the game and bodyshop, ran graphics rules, 50/50 checked my saved sims folder (no crashes), 50/50 checked my downloads folder and it didn't crash, closed it down and then I opened bodyshop again and it started crashing all over again. I've tried all tutorials that I could find online and nothing has worked. Does anyone have any idea on what could be the problem. I think this may have started after I tried to install the bodyshop mechanic (https://modthesims.info/d/231443) and it didn't work and I uninstalled it. I have no idea what to do anymore and I need bodyshop to extract my sims and cc I create

kind regards

Mary
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 19th Aug 2020 at 7:49 AM
@SheGamerReloaded In my experience, Bodyshop is very temperamental. Try running it with only the necessary cc you need to save your sims or work on your creations. Sometimes Bodyshop crashes because it can't load everything. Another thing to try is doing the 4GB patch/running cff explorer on your Bodyshop shortcut, if you didn't already: https://lifasims.livejournal.com/3738.html

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2020 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@SheGamerReloaded In my experience, Bodyshop is very temperamental. Try running it with only the necessary cc you need to save your sims or work on your creations. Sometimes Bodyshop crashes because it can't load everything. Another thing to try is doing the 4GB patch/running cff explorer on your Bodyshop shortcut, if you didn't already: https://lifasims.livejournal.com/3738.html

I've tried the CFF Explorer (didn't work), removed my cc and checked it (still crashed with or without cc), removed my saved sims (still crashed) and removed my neighbourhoods and it still crashed. I believe its a lost cause at this point
Forum Resident
#4 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 7:17 AM
Have the same problem, only worse - apparently Bodyshop trashes my graphics card. It never used to, but that was when I played on a different machine with an older card and Windows 7. Am now stuck with Windows 8.1 and it's extremely temperamental. Cannot get Bodyshop to run AT ALL WHATSOEVER. Most of the time it totally hangs the computer!!!

When I can get the logistics worked out, I'm going back to the Windows 7 computer (for playing Sims2 only).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 1:06 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Jan 2021 at 1:17 PM.
Copy the Bodyshop EXE to your desktop, do the CFF fix (or the 4GB patch - they're essentially the same), and move the EXE file back, letting it override the old one. Should work then. Windows is a bit meh about letting you edit files in the ProgramFiles area, but replacing files if you're admin iit usually allows for.

You can see whether it was successful in the "config-log" tby running Bodyshop (the "config-log" shows the last info of whichever program was last used of TS2, Bodyshop or Homecrafter).

Also delete the cache files from time to time (they frequently make Bodyshop crash or not start - although the Cigen file can be useful for Bodyshop thumbnails).

Bodyshop is also sensitive when it comes to borked CC, so if you have bad files in there and Bodyshop crashes, it's likely those files could crash your game, too.

Bodyshop runs off of the GraphicRules and VideoCards files in the CSConfig folder where your latest EP or SP9 is, so make sure those are up to date. If Bodyshop is running on your chip and the game is running on your graphic card, there's going to be some difference between the two.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Copy the Bodyshop EXE to your desktop, do the CFF fix (or the 4GB patch - they're essentially the same), and move the EXE file back, letting it override the old one. Should work then. Windows is a bit meh about letting you edit files in the ProgramFiles area, but replacing files if you're admin iit usually allows for.

You can see whether it was successful in the "config-log" tby running Bodyshop (the "config-log" shows the last info of whichever program was last used of TS2, Bodyshop or Homecrafter).

Also delete the cache files from time to time (they frequently make Bodyshop crash or not start - although the Cigen file can be useful for Bodyshop thumbnails).

Bodyshop is also sensitive when it comes to borked CC, so if you have bad files in there and Bodyshop crashes, it's likely those files could crash your game, too.

Bodyshop runs off of the GraphicRules and VideoCards files in the CSConfig folder where your latest EP or SP9 is, so make sure those are up to date. If Bodyshop is running on your chip and the game is running on your graphic card, there's going to be some difference between the two.

Tried all of the above and more, even yanked out ALL the Custom Content clothing - and the damned thing STILL slaughters my graphics card!

I think my ONLY choice, if I don't want to be terminally crippled by inability to run Body Shop at all, is to get the Windows 7 machine set back up (but NO internet connection) and stop using the 8.1 machine for anything Sims-related. Grrr, what a hassle!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 12:35 PM
When you say you've removed all CC clothing, does that include from the SavedSims folder too? In fact, have you tried renaming the Sims 2 folder entirely to something like Sims 2 backup and letting a new vanilla folder generate? Also could be the extracted Sim causing problems, I know extracting like, Olive Specters victims can crash Bodyshop.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 6:05 PM
If you extract sims from ingame with SimPE, you should remove those files as soon as you've cloned them in Bodyshop (the clones are safe, but you'll probably want to move the files to Downloads). You should NOT run your game with the extracted files in, because it can potentially cause problems.

If you keep a lot of files and sims in SavedSims, some people have found this can cause crashes. I'm not sure if that's true or not - it could be a problem with the sims or CC or something else - but personally I don't like keeping a lot of files in SavedSims, so I tend to rename the files that appear in there after I'm done with a project, and then move them to Downloads to get them "out of my hair". I don't usually rename sim files (they're the 8x8 digit Hex files), but it does seem like you can (tested this a bit when I extracted sims, and the cloned sims did appear when renamed). Use only A-Z, numbers and _ if you rename files, and keep the names short. No special characters, extra punctuation or spaces.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 12:29 AM
SavedSims folder is not the problem, it's completely empty. Have tried everything, every suggestion I could find anywhere, and the blasted thing still spews out NVidia crash messages until it freezes my computer with a black screen.

But the weirdest thing is, the game itself runs with no problems at all. I just can't run BodyShop. Period.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 3:56 AM
If it's the DLL-something crash message, it sounds like the graphic card and Bodyshop aren't talking together.

Did you do GraphicRules and VideoCards files edits properly for Bodyshop (in the CSConfig folder for either M&G or your latest EP if you don't have M&G)?

If you've done it properly for your game and it works fine, you should be able to copy these files over from the Config folder to the CSConfig (maybe with a few Bodyshop-spesific edits if need be).
Forum Resident
#11 Old 1st Feb 2021 at 4:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If it's the DLL-something crash message, it sounds like the graphic card and Bodyshop aren't talking together.

That's about it. Came to the conclusion that the GE 610 card is just a smidge too weak to run BodyShop under Windows 8.1. Nothing to be done about it except get a better card.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Feb 2021 at 3:42 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Feb 2021 at 3:58 PM.
If your computer and card can run the game, there shouldn't be that much of a difference to Bodyshop. I think you can turn off bumpmapping and possibly also certain other shaders in the GraphicRules if that's too much for it. It also helps if you make sure to not put in the full load of CC, maybe just a minimum of what you need for a session.

I got the DLL issue too while setting up my game on Win10, but mostly because my game refused to run in fullscreen.

Watched a couple tests of the 610 card, and it doesn't look like the absolute worst I've seen, so unless it's getting old and worn out I'm guessing it could still be the settings. I think I had a 630 or some such on my old laptop (a 2011-ish model, with Win7), and it ran the game fine. Could just be Windows messing around (8 and 10... )
Forum Resident
#13 Old 10th Feb 2021 at 3:04 PM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 12th Feb 2021 at 7:08 PM.
Default Upgraded to GT 710, problem solved
BodyShop now loads without spitting errors or black-screening (it just takes the usual forever-and-a-year to load).

BUT...I still can't use it to create Sims. It's stuck - HARD - on default adult female, and none of the other buttons do anything.

On the other hand, the "Create Parts" section, which is what I really need, seems to run just fine (haven't put it through all its paces yet).

Edit: Okay, a little more tweaking got it running all right. Partly the problem is that BodyShop is not all that intuitive to use in the first place. But once I select and clone a displayed Sim, I can now change it at will.