Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2021 at 4:31 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time
Default Essential things to do after a fresh install?
Hello all, I have a question that's not related to gameplay or any specific bugs but rather setting up the game itself so it's safe and ready to play. A long time ago I saw a thread by someone who was reinstalling their game on a new computer and made a list of all the things "to do" to get their new game all nice and shiny and ready to play. I think they were asking if there were any ideas they were missing.

Anyway, I know we have the "essential mods" thread (which is very helpful!) but I was wondering if I could get some help in finding info or a thread on something like "essential things to-do/to set up before playing". For example, it was a list of things like; remove secuROM, install 4GB Patch, get the game running in the correct resolution, install anti-corruption mods etc. etc. etc. (it was quite a long list but those were just a few examples)

I have a feeling my game might be corrupted but I'm not overly concerned because I don't actually even play that often these days I want to ditch this old laptop someday and start fresh on a nice new snazzy computer. But when I do that I want to do things right!

My simblrIcon credit
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 27th Jan 2021 at 1:49 PM
The Sims 2 usually only needs two compatibility fixes: Graphics Rules Maker and 4GB Patch.

To fix the game with Graphics Rules Maker, run it as Admin (otherwise it might not let you save changes). You can use the Auto-Detect option to automatically select optimal settings. Make sure that the first two boxes are checked: Disable Texture Memory Estimate Adjustment and Enable Driver's Memory Manager. Disable Sim Shadows might be checked too, because Sims have black boxes underneath them if shadows are set to high. Instead of that, you can download Nopke's Shadow Fix that will fix those boxes.

As for 4GB Patch, find your latest pack's .exe, which is Sims2EP9.exe in most cases. Move it from TSBin to desktop. Run 4GB Patch and point it to your .exe on desktop and, when it's done, move it back to TSBin.

If you have Ultimate Collection, SecuROM should not be there as it was replaced with Origin Online Activation. Essential mods list has all mods that you'll need to start off.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Jan 2021 at 2:02 PM
My tip would be to install your game to a different location to the default install/ For example, I have mine installed to C:\ Games\ EA Games. That way, your installation files are not virtualized as they will not be in a UAC protected location (there's really no need for Sims 2 to be protected by UAC). Also you won't have to run the graphics rules maker or 4GB patch as an admin. Also, I would suggest to make a backup of your installation files after you've patched but before you make any changes (in my case this is the C:\ Games\ EA Games folder). This makes it easier to undo modifications such as lighting mods and config mods, and will allow you to restore a backup of those files if you mess anything up without having to unpack cabs from the discs or reinstall.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
My tip would be to install your game to a different location to the default install/ For example, I have mine installed to C:\ Games\ EA Games. That way, your installation files are not virtualized as they will not be in a UAC protected location (there's really no need for Sims 2 to be protected by UAC). Also you won't have to run the graphics rules maker or 4GB patch as an admin. Also, I would suggest to make a backup of your installation files after you've patched but before you make any changes (in my case this is the C:\ Games\ EA Games folder). This makes it easier to undo modifications such as lighting mods and config mods, and will allow you to restore a backup of those files if you mess anything up without having to unpack cabs from the discs or reinstall.

What does "UAC" stand for?

I was reading the sims wiki's page about avoiding corruption and they said to set all files in the install location to "read only". Is what you're talking about related to that? That's something I never did and probably should have done....also, having a backup of the install files is a good idea. I don't think I would need to patch my game though because I use the Ultimate Collection (I never actually owned ALL the discs/expansions for ts2, sadly), and I thought that was fully patched already.

You mentioned lighting mods and config mods. I've been meaning to change my lighting mod, but what's a config mod?

Anyway, I'm still hoping someone will provide me with a big FAT checklist of things to do, lol. Your suggestions ar definitely good and belong on the checklist (thank you!!) but I feel like the checklist should be even longer... Hmmm. Anyone know of a good site to write something like that with? I guess I could use google docs

My simblrIcon credit
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 1:38 PM
UAC is an integral part of Windows security, it's the mechanism that gives you the pop up asking if you want to allow a program to run, and it is what prevents you from modifying files unless you give admin priveleges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control
File virtualization occurs when you install a 32bit program to a UAC protected location; so if you install Sims 2 to Program Files it is virtualized. This means that a copy of any files you modify are put into your virtual store (and corresponding registry entries) and the virtual store copy masks the copy located in the Program Files location. Any time you modify the Program Files location using administrator credentials (such as the graphics rules maker run as admin) the original is altered; any time you modify without admin privileges the virtual store version is changed. So potentially you could have problems where you amend something with admin privileges to make a mod work, but the game reads from the virtual store so your mod doesn't work.
https://tewarid.github.io/2013/06/0...in-windows.html
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...t-control-works
(My simplified explanations are a bit crap, read the microsoft info for full and correct explanation).
To the most part you won't see any problems, but it's one more potential obstacle, so if you are going to reinstall anyway, why not put it somewhere else? No problems then. Of course I would always recommend to install programs such as browsers and antivirus programs to the default locations, as you want to have that extra protection, and also any programs such as 7zip or anything that mods the shell (adds items in windows menus when you click or right click). But for games, where you want to have complete control over modding the game files, it's perfectly fine to put them elsewhere.

Yes, the Wiki recommends to set the game files to 'read only' because on very rare occasions, the game can write to the install files (for example allowing Mrs Crumplebottom to be bitten by a vampire), so necessitating a reinstall. But if you make a copy of your fresh install anyway then you have a backup, so won't need to reinstall, you can just check filesize and date stamps. I wouldn't make all of the files read only; just the objects package files and skins/materials files. The rest of the files I might need to mod!

By config mods I mean for example, the allmenus mod- enabled by modding the globalprops file. Enabling hidden terrains and walls/ wallpapers/ floors- by modding the script files. Scriptorium does this also, it's a config mod. Clean templates are modifying the game files also. I can mod all of these files with confidence knowing that if I mess up, I can restore a backup of the file. Also, I can test out mods or troubleshoot problems in an unmodified environment if I like. For example troubleshooting a glitch here. It depends really upon how much you like to mod your game, and what suits you. This is the way I've found that covers all eventualities, so I always like to do things this way.

I don't know of a checklist- it depends of course on your computer, game version and also operating system. Also what you like to do with your game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 2:44 AM
@simsample thanks for all that info/explanation!!

Interestingly that glitch you were troubleshooting...about the rugs, rug mod and borked shadows....I also have that issue!! I find it quite annoying but ultimately I keep the rug mod in my game because I prefer being able to place rugs anywhere I like. I just tend to avoid putting furniture over them. Sometimes I can get away with it without the flickering shadows being too obvious, but yeah.

My simblrIcon credit
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Natpop
@simsample thanks for all that info/explanation!!

Interestingly that glitch you were troubleshooting...about the rugs, rug mod and borked shadows....I also have that issue!! I find it quite annoying but ultimately I keep the rug mod in my game because I prefer being able to place rugs anywhere I like. I just tend to avoid putting furniture over them. Sometimes I can get away with it without the flickering shadows being too obvious, but yeah.

I did a fresh install on a new computer this weekend and am working out the gltiches of and old program on new hardware. I found a solution to the shadowboxes that worked for me last night : https://modthesims.info/download.ph...=1&goto=newpost I hope this helps.

I am having an issue now installing sims2package files. The software online to use to install are not up to date and though I tried the changes for net framework is a tad bit overwhelming.

Anyway - my ramblings. I hope the shadow box file helps you too.