Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 1:47 AM Last edited by LastHaven : 28th Jan 2021 at 4:34 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default CAS Lighting and Photobooth pictures look like they've been overblown with white light
I just installed Sims 2 on a new computer and I'm running into some odd problems (for some reason I can't see the furniture on a lower floor, just the sims and platforms, if I'm looking down from a upper floor that has an empty space instead of floor tiles for one), but I can mostly just survive those with little difficulty except I've run into a new bug. If I try to go into CAS from neighborhood in game, the sim looks like they've been flooded with white light from the feet up--like I put a spotlight at their feet. It's weird and when I removed my downloads folder the problem remained, so it's not a mod doing it. It's also not any new camera views I've put in, since when I put the original files back in the camera folder the problem remained. I do NOT have a problem with the Sims Body Shop, just in game. Oddly, whenever I have sims use a photobooth, the pictures also come out very washed out with white light, but I'm not sure the problems are connected or just oddly similar.

This isn't game breaking, so I can still live with it, but I was wondering if anyone else ever had this problem and if they know a way to fix it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LastHaven
(for some reason I can't see the furniture on a lower floor, just the sims and platforms, if I'm looking down from a upper floor that has an empty space instead of floor tiles for one)
That sounds like you have Object Hiding on. You can turn it off in Graphics/Performance Options:

It also sounds like you're suffering from the "bright CAS" issue that is affecting quite a few of us with modern machines with recent NVIDIA graphics cards. See the Shiny Head - Graphical Glitch? thread. Is it affecting all Sims in CAS, or just specific outfits?
I hadn't heard of the problem with photobooth pictures (most of my Sims seem to have a phobia about getting their photo taken!), but it sounds related to the CAS problem.
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 12:53 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Jan 2021 at 5:35 PM.
The "occasional shiny CAS items" issue is partially due to a flaw in the mesh files (they miss a line called "HasTangentArray:" in the comments), so I doubt that's the cause for the photobooth problem.

Shiny overall CAS or other graphical bugs in general could be a problem with your graphic setup, though.

Also make sure your GraphicsRules and VideoCards files are properly set up (manually or via the GraphicsRulesMaker). Make sure you've updated your graphic card drivers via the vendor's site if you have a graphic card (Nvidia or the like) - just updating via Windows probably won't help (it looks for the newest drivers downloaded to your computer, but can't always find the newest available on the web). For graphic chips (if you don't have a dedicated graphic card) like Intel or similar, make sure you have those settings set up properly.

If you have CDs (FreeTime in this case), make sure your games are patched. There's a small bug in the architect drawing table that caused an ugly, white overlay to be applied to C-button pictures if the table was used in a play session. No idea if it can be a problem for photobooth pictures too, but I wouldn't doubt it. Bugged me to no end for a while, that one... This should already be patched out if you have the Ultimate Collection.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 4:33 PM Last edited by LastHaven : 28th Jan 2021 at 5:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
That sounds like you have Object Hiding on.

D'oh! You're definitely right, I did have it on and just never noticed. Thanks for that.

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Also make sure your GraphicsRules and VideoCards files are properly set up (manually or via the GraphicsRulesMaker).

While I had set up my game with the GraphicsRulesMaker, I did go back in and ticked the "Higher Quality on Intel Graphics" box and that seems to have done it. The shininess was not just on certain pieces but literally everything in the CAS screen, including the background, so if anyone else has this problem, I guess try this Higher Quality trick.

Thank you, guys, you've done my eyes a world of favor! I'll go back and marked this thread as solved.

EDIT: Forgot to add, this also fixed the problem with the photobooth, so that's another mystery solved!