Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#151 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 6:44 AM
Yes it is...

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
So long as what they're thinking is exactly what I think they're thinking.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#152 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 8:25 PM
Default Tales of Alaethes: Katya's Tale Chapter 23

“It was Thobias' eleventh birthday,” Katya began. “He was small for his age, but it worked to his advantage in dressage. Matthjes and I had been blessed not just with many children but with talented children. Thobias had already surpassed many competitors far older and with years more training than he. What I didn't know was that both Matthjes and Horse Master Olsen, Thobias' riding instructor, believed he would go no further with his current mare, as she was aging past her prime.”

Katya sighed and pressed her lips together, then continued, “The party was well underway. Thobias was disappointed, because Matthjes told him that morning he'd not be able to take off work for the party. Oh, he did his best to appear happy for his guests, but I could tell he didn't have that sparkle in his eyes I knew so well.

“Somebody rang our front bell. All of our expected guests were already in the house. Thobias was so excited he didn't wait for our housekeeper Bekka to answer. He opened the door himself. All of us were drawn by his squeal of excitement, and I was as in the dark about the surprise as Thobias.

“By the time I reached the front door, my son was leaping to street level toward a monstrous black stallion held on a lead by Horse Master Olsen. Matthjes stood at the door beaming. 'Is he really mine?' Thobias asked.

'He's all yours,' Matthjes said. Even though the brute wasn't saddled or bridled, he suggested, 'Why don't you have a quick ride?'”

Katya frowned and shook her head at the memory. “Of course, Matthjes saw nothing wrong with the fact that he bought our son a new horse without consulting me. He smiled at me as though he had just won a father of the year award. 'Isn't he magnificent?' he asked.

“'Magnificent, yes,' I said, fury thrumming in my veins and only my son's birthday guests standing between Matthjes and a very angry tirade on my part. Even so, I couldn't hold it all back. I was pregnant with Bert, about five months along and already emotionally volatile. 'I would add enormous, dangerous, and too much horse for my little boy, but no one asked me,' I hissed at him so that only he would hear it.

“If I looked at Horse Master Olsen in that moment, I feared I would lose my temper entirely, so I told Bekka to keep our party guests refreshed and entertained and retreated to the rear of the house to compose myself. It took some time. For all of our marriage, our children and the household affairs had been my primary responsibilities and concern. Being an artisan, Matthjes had to work hard and constantly. You know what the guilds were like in Kolnenberg. I don't need to tell you how competitive it was then. I couldn't understand why he chose something he knew would be so clearly against my wishes for our son.

“In time I returned to the party. I played with the children and entertained them. Horse Master Olsen had the intelligence not to come into the house. Matthjes stayed out of my way in his study.

“Thobias finally returned from his ride brimming with excitement and enthusiasm. He rushed straight to Matthjes with pure worship and adoration for the gift. In some ways, that made me even angrier. Certainly, Matthjes had given him his heart's desire. He practically ate, drank, and slept horses and dressage. It was left to me to be the practical one, to worry, and if I spoke a word against the horse in Thobias' earshot, I'd be the villain.

“Matthjes was clever enough to know that. I have no doubt it's why he didn't discuss the gift with me ahead of time. He knew what I'd say. I don't want you children thinking I'm speaking ill of your father. I'm not. This was one of the few times we ever sharply disagreed, and that happens in all marriages. I'm sure when you're married one day, it will happen to you, too, and you'll learn to cope with it, just as we did.

“Once you children were in bed and we were alone, I let him have it. It was one of the worst arguments I recall ever having with him, and I'm not going to repeat what either of us said. Suffice it to say we did not come to an agreement that night, nor did we ever in regard to that horse. I did, however, eventually let it drop. Matthjes was stubborn, and once he made a decision, he rarely retracted it.

“No, I had no choice but to accept that the large black was with us to stay. Of course, Thobias was thrilled. We saw even less of him at home than we did before. The only area in which I refused to budge was his education. I insisted he give full attention to his tutors, and if his studies slipped, there would be no more dressage. Matthjes knew better than to argue with me about that.”

Katya glanced up at Amon. “I wish I had been far more stubborn on a lot of fronts,” she said quietly, “but hindsight is the sharpest, is it not?”
Mad Poster
#153 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 8:34 PM
Yay! Update! And just before school too!

I loved the clothes, and the horse! The horse is awesomousezness!

Anyway, great update.

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
Field Researcher
#154 Old 13th Mar 2009 at 12:28 AM
Great update. Cant wait for the rest of the story.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#155 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 4:31 AM
Tree4me, I was so excited when I found horses for download. They're all beautiful, and there are so many great recolors, too. It has been fun getting to deal with a part of Katya's past where they had more money. The house and clothing are both way nicer and more colorful than what they've had to deal with in the present and her distant past. Thanks for the feedback!

Sweetsweetie, thanks! I'm enjoying the sideline from the main action. Katya can't journal on the road, but she can still talk about her past.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#156 Old 17th Mar 2009 at 7:01 AM
Due to a family illness, Katya's Tale will be on a one week break. I wanted to avoid this happening, but I can't guarantee being near or on my computer this coming week. I'm sorry to disappoint those of you enjoying the story, and I promise I will be back next week. Thanks for understanding.
Field Researcher
#157 Old 17th Mar 2009 at 8:35 AM
Take all the time you need we can wait. Hope everything is ok with your family
Mad Poster
#158 Old 18th Mar 2009 at 7:23 AM
It's okay, we will be able to wait. (As painstakingly horrible waiting is. :P) Don't worry about it, and I hope the family gets better soon, Mollypog.

#159 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 4:15 AM
Wow Molly the story is just getting better and better, now i know why it usually takes u a while to write chapters, since i started a story of my own it sure takes a lot of time for those perfect screen shots! lol keep it up!

Wow and I really hope that family illness ends well, it's ok take your time, so sorry to hear that.
Page 7 of 7