Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 8:30 PM
Default Forever [Chapter 1 posted 19/01/2011]

Chapter 1

Alyssa stood in the living room of the new house, and stared at the photo on the wall. It seemed like only minutes ago that it had been taken. How quickly things had changed. After the car accident she'd awoken in hospital, scared and shaken but not badly hurt. But then the doctors had told her that her parents had both died in the crash. She'd cried and cried. It'd been hours before she thought to ask them if her younger sister and brother were ok. Alyssa shook herself. No time to stand and think about that now. She and her younger siblings had just moved into their new home in Peyton Hills, and from now until they were old enough to look after themselves, her life belonged to Kayleigh and Oliver. They needed her.

Walking through the house to check on Oliver, Alyssa just couldn't stop thinking. At only seventeen years old, she had stood up in front of the judge and asked to be her siblings' legal guardian. The judge had granted her wish, eventually. And now that they were getting on with their lives, she almost wished that he hadn't. If only he'd said "No, you are too young, practically a child yourself. You shouldn't have to handle that responsibility. We will find someone to care for you all.....". But he had listened to her as she told him that this is what she wanted, what her parents would've wanted, what God wanted. Family was forever. Kayleigh and Oliver were her responsibility now.

Oliver was playing with his toy keyboard. He looked up when she came in, smiled, then went back to his playing. Only 2 years old, he already loved music more than anything. He took after Dad as far as that was concerned. Dad had loved music, any music. He'd played guitar, violin and trumpet, sang in a band, and loved to dance. Mum on the other hand preferred to garden. Growing things made her happy, as did nature in general. Kayleigh was the same - happiest when surrounded by plants or animals. Alyssa didn't take after either of them. She was tone deaf, and preferred to watch nature from a comfy chair that was somewhere warm. She liked to paint. In fact, she loved to paint.

She needed to check on Kayleigh as well. She'd be outside, as usual. Alyssa walked out into the back garden. She could see Kayleigh sat on the beach, watching the waves. She opened her mouth to call to her, but shut it again. After all, what could she say? Kayleigh didn't talk much nowadays, and she didn't seem to listen either. All that she wanted to do was to be outdoors. Alone.

Alyssa knew that she had a lot of things to organise. She needed to call Peyton Hills primary school to make sure they were ready for Kayleigh to come in tomorrow. She needed to call Peyton Hills Sixth Form to make sure they were expecting her. She needed to call the childcare service and make sure they were scheduled to look after Oliver tomorrow whilst she was at school. And she needed to cook, and clean, and wash, and iron. She meant to, she really did. But as she walked back into the house she caught sight of her easel, stood in the corner of the hall, and it called to her. Before long she'd forgotten everything, and was engrossed in her painting.....

Comments are welcome - I'd love to hear what people think! :-) I shall try to post new chapters as often as I can, but unfortunately real life does have to come first.....
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 10:35 PM
I'm definitely intrigued so far! Can't wait to see more!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 10:57 PM
I like it so far. The quality of your writing is good. I get the feeling things will be very difficult for this girl, especially if she's the whimsical artist type and loses track of her responsibilities.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 31st Jan 2011 at 11:03 PM
Awwwwwwww Only one chapter so far!!
I'l really, really love to read some more! Sounds really interesting so far

"When darkness falls hope is a concept broken with suffering."
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 12:59 AM
Its an interesting story so far!

Carmellia
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 4:58 PM
Thanks guys! :-) Unfortunately I'm having laptop issues and game issues, so I won't be able to post another chapter until I get them sorted, but then I'll get back to it as soon as I can!
Forum Resident
#7 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 2:24 AM
Oh I also am enjoying this story!!

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Test Subject
#8 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 5:50 PM
Nice pictures
Meet Me In My Next Life
#9 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 6:31 AM
Very nice story line, it did keep me interest. Pictures are nice as well.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 8:10 AM
Thanks guys! :-) I think I'm getting close to solving the game issues I was having (looks like it was due to some CC; I've narrowed the problem down to one sub-folder, so I'm hopefully close to finding exactly what is causing the problem! Weirdly enough it seems to be clothing, which surprised me - I'd assumed it'd be a global hack or something, but no.

Anyway, like I said, I should be able to play my main game again soon, and I'll post the next chapter as soon as I get it working again :-) I'm glad that people are enjoying it so far! :-D And thanks for commenting, I appreciate it :-)
Field Researcher
#11 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 11:18 AM
Decision of the judge was little suprising to me.
Alyssa has so much to do: schhol, home and garden care, looking after little brother and sister and her hobby... She must be an incredible girl! What about the money? Is she or will she be woring anywhere?
Nice beggining. I've enjoyed the first chapter
Hope the problem with CC will be solved quicky and you'll be able to show the next part of the story