Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 4:20 AM
Default Roofing Emergency
As we all know I stink at roofing.
I really like this house, but am having trouble with the roof. Right now, I think it looks terrible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 4:38 AM
We need a picture to be able to help

I didn't see you there. Hello. *runs* | Visit my CFF World thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 4:43 AM
Sorry about that. It said 100% on the last picture I tried to upload and it said the first two were completed when I clicked to post.
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 4:47 AM
Default house
Sorry if they are too small, it wouldn't let me do anything bigger.
Screenshots
Instructor
#5 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 4:54 AM
Two questions.

1. What is this lot supposed to be, when it's done?

2. What do you mean by "it won't let me do anything (larger)?"
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:01 AM
A house, I didn't do anything else, because if I can't get the roof to look better I don't want to go to the trouble of doing everything else.

I couldn't attach screenshots (at the moment anyway) bigger than what I did.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:02 AM
The roof doesn't work because the house doesn't work - it is the same thing all the way around (which gets kinda boring) in addition to being an odd shape (which, on top of that, demands diagonals! Trying to place a roof on a diagonal is a pain and a half :P)

To fix the roof, you need to address the house first Try making the shape a bit different and not so balanced. Also, used the cone / dome roofs in moderation.

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Instructor
#8 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leo06girl
A house, I didn't do anything else, because if I can't get the roof to look better I don't want to go to the trouble of doing everything else.

It's an interesting shape for a house. What inspired you?

I understand what you mean about the roofing.

Even if you aren't copying a particular plan, you must have seen something that makes you think of making a house with this particular shape.

I ask because it might be possible to achieve something similar, yet roof placing would be easier.
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:21 AM
The house worked fine for my Sims in a previous neighborhood. Just the roof looked bad, which is why I deleted it.

As far as it being too balanced: the only problem with that is I like things to be balanced and even.

I could change the shape a little. Only to do that, I would have to make it a little bigger, which I'm pretty sure would cause everyone to claim that it's not realistic. Because that's what they said when it was in it's original shape. It's actually modified from another house I posted about. If I made it in it's original shape, I would have to add three new rooms, and change the shape of another.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:27 AM
I agree with QBuilderz, you wanted help with a roof, that house is basically impossible to roof, the roofing tools aren't meant for that. So instead, he offered you feedback, you should accept it, its not like he was lying. Not to mention how nice he was about it.

Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 5:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BenC0722
It's an interesting shape for a house. What inspired you?

I understand what you mean about the roofing.

Even if you aren't copying a particular plan, you must have seen something that makes you think of making a house with this particular shape.

I ask because it might be possible to achieve something similar, yet roof placing would be easier.

This house started out to be a smaller version of a house I posted about a while ago. I made it into the shape it is now just because I thought it looked neat. Plus I couldn't think of how to decorate the extra rooms because if something doesn't have a legitimate function, I don't want it.

Also a friend of my sister's used to live in an octagon shaped house which I thought was neat.
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 6:03 AM Last edited by leo06girl : 10th Jun 2011 at 6:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by TVRdesigns
I agree with QBuilderz, you wanted help with a roof, that house is basically impossible to roof, the roofing tools aren't meant for that. So instead, he offered you feedback, you should accept it, its not like he was lying. Not to mention how nice he was about it.

I never said he was lying, or that he is 100% wrong. I just said that it worked for previous Sims, that I like things to be balanced, and that if I make it bigger, someone is going to say it's not realistic. Do you think that I should not be allowed to say that a house that doesn't work for someone else works for me? Or that I should not say that I like things balanced? Or what I'm pretty sure someone will say if I make the house much bigger?
I am allowed to have an opinion of my own and I'm allowed to state that opinion and why I have it. It's perfectly fine for me to do so, just like it is perfectly fine for you to have and state your own opinion.

I wasn't getting defensive, trying to be mean, or trying to be rude to QBuilderz. I'm not mad or offended at anything he said. I just said what I think and why I think it; and what will happen if I think will happen if I make it bigger. I just don't sugarcoat anything when talking to adults.

I did accept his advice, and plan on trying to change the shape a little. Although, if I turn it back to its original shape, I'm pretty sure someone it going to say it's not realistic and/or that it's too big.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#13 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 6:40 AM
First of all, this should be posted on building forum, cause you're clearly not after feedback for the actual house.

Secondly, coming back to the first point, that would have saved you a lot of headaches, cause there the focus would be on the roof. This is creator feedback forum, so people will comment on everything they see.

Thirdly, if you really want help with just the roof, the answer has been given. There is no nice way to roof a house that shape.
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 7:14 AM Last edited by leo06girl : 10th Jun 2011 at 7:34 AM.
Do you think I should not be allowed to explain why I made something the way it is? Am I not allowed to have or state my own opinion? Or what I think will happen if I make the house much bigger? Seriously, because that is all I was doing.

I NEVER said it was not okay if everyone comments on the entire house, instead of just the roof. I never told anyone not to give feedback on the entire house. So I would really like to know where you got that armiel. I am NOT ticked off because people say there is not a way to give this house a pretty roof and that I should reshape it,or that people are giving feedback on the entire house. It's perfectly fine for everyone to do so, and to give honest feedback and honest opinions good or bad. I never said they were wrong. I just simply said why I made it the way it is and what I think will happen if I make it too much bigger. Is that against the rules?

As a matter of FACT I REALLY appreciate the honest feedback, regardless of what part of the house it's on. I actually prefer for people to be honest, instead of saying they like it when they really don't.

What I do not appreciate and am ticked off about is what seems to be the hypocrisy of you (armiel) and TVRdesigns.

Whether or not you realize or like it, while everyone else is allowed to say what they think and why they think it, I am allowed to do the same.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:02 AM
I never implied that you were lying, rather, I implied that I thought what QBUILDERZ said was the truth. And for you to attack a moderator is just.. wow. As for the house, if you appreciate honest feedback, i would recommend starting again, with a different plan, as for someone that sucks at rooves (what you said, not what I said) that roof type is particularly hard, I even have trouble with it sometimes.

Forum Resident
#16 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 9:19 AM
I agree with the statements, that this is not going t roof easily, if at all. I f your attached to the shape, I recommend the flat top. Try adding a low fence around the perimeter. If your willing, I would remove the outer walls to one of the small rooms and make it a balcony. This will help break up the shape. Another idea, is making a rooftop garden. I think that would look really good on this shape of house.

Facebook | Currently On Hiatus | Twitter
Current Works-In-Progress: 0
Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 9:48 AM
The reason for my saying I'm ticked at what seems to be hypocrisy is that it looked to me as if you and armiel were jumping on me for simply explaining why the house is the way it is and saying what I think and why I think it; and saying what will most likely happen if I make the house any bigger. It looked to me as if the two of you were saying I should just hunker down and not give my thoughts on or explain anything about the house, like I don't have the right to give an honest response to feedback; that I should just automatically agree with what everyone says without saying what I think. I'm sorry but I am just not like that. If that's not case, then I will delete or change my post.

I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything, I was just tired of people acting like I was mad about the feed back when I was not, so I said the real reason why I was ticked off.

I was not saying I don't accept the feedback. I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but I can't just automatically accept something without saying what I think. All I was trying to do is say why I made the house the way it is and what I pretty sure will happen if I make it bigger, not that I thought anyone's feedback was wrong. I am actually planning to reshape a little, but keeping the shape of the octagon rooms because I like the unusual shape. I would also like to keep some sort of balance, just because I like things to be so. I'm not too sure how I'm going to do that without making the house too much bigger; because if does get too much bigger I'm pretty sure someone is going to say it's too big and not realistic. Also, like I said before, I wouldn't know what to do with the extra rooms if I do the original floorplan because I don't want more than one of the same room except bedrooms and bathrooms; IMO it's useless to have more than one of the same room or different rooms being too similar. I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but I don't want to wind up turning it into a house that I would not use myself.

I wouldn't get offended if you said I suck at roofing, because we all know it's true. I must have some kind of mental block or something when it comes to roofing. I'm also not good at decorating rooms with clutter or elaborate landscaping because if something doesn't have a legitimate function, I don't want it.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 9:52 AM
Take it with a grain of salt, like every one else. These are well respected builders taking their time to comment on your skills.

P.S good things take TIME :D.

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 9:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by morphead
I agree with the statements, that this is not going t roof easily, if at all. I f your attached to the shape, I recommend the flat top. Try adding a low fence around the perimeter. If your willing, I would remove the outer walls to one of the small rooms and make it a balcony. This will help break up the shape. Another idea, is making a rooftop garden. I think that would look really good on this shape of house.

As a matter of fact parts that are enclosed now started out as balconies or decks. I'm going to try a partial reshape of some parts, but I am attached to the shape of the octagonal rooms; the overall house shape is what I'm going to try to change.

I never thought about a roof top garden, that's a really good idea.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#20 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 10:02 AM
I think perhaps it'd be best if you tried to do a house on a smaller lot, and something that's a bit more realistic and varied - that is, not a perfectly symmetrical lot, but something a little bit more like a regular house - something easier to roof and landscape, and not so much empty space around that you're going to have trouble filling all that space and making it look natural - you'd basically have to make a big garden out of all the rest of it to make it work on such a large lot.

Even for a really experienced builder, the lot you're doing would be very hard to get to look realistic and with a nice aesthetic. The only roof I can think that might look good on it is a CFE'd dome roof - but CFE is a pain in the ass in TS3. The unusual shape is fine - if you can make it work. But right now, it's got all symmetrical interior rooms, which seems sort of unrealistic and hard to work with (especially all those little corners) and I think it's going to be near-impossible to come up with an interior decorating scheme that makes it work.

It's a fine idea, but probably best put on a shelf for now and try working on something that's not quite so difficult in basically every way.

Please also bear in mind that while you may have a particular way you like to build (and that is completely fine - you are welcome to build whatever way you like for your own game), that style of building may not be one that will be accepted for upload here at MTS. We do accept very odd, unusual houses, but they need to be done in a realistic, aesthetically pleasing way. Landscaping is not optional - it's required. You don't have to do tons of useless clutter, but you will have to furnish and decorate. Now, I'm not saying you're not going to do these things, but some of the tone of your posts sounds a little like, "I'm going to do it my way no matter what," and that's fine, but please make sure you review the Creator Guidelines to make sure that your way is going to be acceptable for upload here. If it's not, you are more than welcome to finish the house to your own tastes for your own game, and play it and enjoy it for yourself.
Inventor
Original Poster
#21 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kaylarox
Take it with a grain of salt, like every one else. These are well respected builders taking their time to comment on your skills.

P.S good things take TIME :D.

The comments on the house and my skills are not what bothered me. I've already explained what I was ticked off about.

I know it's going to take time, but I don't want to wind up turning into something I would never use.
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I think perhaps it'd be best if you tried to do a house on a smaller lot, and something that's a bit more realistic and varied - that is, not a perfectly symmetrical lot, but something a little bit more like a regular house - something easier to roof and landscape, and not so much empty space around that you're going to have trouble filling all that space and making it look natural - you'd basically have to make a big garden out of all the rest of it to make it work on such a large lot.

Even for a really experienced builder, the lot you're doing would be very hard to get to look realistic and with a nice aesthetic. The only roof I can think that might look good on it is a CFE'd dome roof - but CFE is a pain in the ass in TS3. The unusual shape is fine - if you can make it work. But right now, it's got all symmetrical interior rooms, which seems sort of unrealistic and hard to work with (especially all those little corners) and I think it's going to be near-impossible to come up with an interior decorating scheme that makes it work.

It's a fine idea, but probably best put on a shelf for now and try working on something that's not quite so difficult in basically every way.

Please also bear in mind that while you may have a particular way you like to build (and that is completely fine - you are welcome to build whatever way you like for your own game), that style of building may not be one that will be accepted for upload here at MTS. We do accept very odd, unusual houses, but they need to be done in a realistic, aesthetically pleasing way. Landscaping is not optional - it's required. You don't have to do tons of useless clutter, but you will have to furnish and decorate. Now, I'm not saying you're not going to do these things, but some of the tone of your posts sounds a little like, "I'm going to do it my way no matter what," and that's fine, but please make sure you review the Creator Guidelines to make sure that your way is going to be acceptable for upload here. If it's not, you are more than welcome to finish the house to your own tastes for your own game, and play it and enjoy it for yourself.

I just put it on that size lot for now because I wanted my Sims to live on a beautiful vista lot. If I try to upload, I will put it on something smaller. Would it get rejected for being in the exact center of the lot? I'm asking because I like to houses at the exact center of their lot.

I can change and am planning to do so to parts of the shape. I just don't want to change the shape of some of the octagon rooms, because then it wouldn't be the same house.

Last time I furnished a house without a lot of clutter (if I remember correctly) people said I needed more clutter, that it unrealistic because all I had was the necessary furniture.

Am I not allowed to upload an unfurnished house? Would I be allowed to decorate in bright colors including the walls? I was told on the last house I tried to upload that "bright colors are not aesthetically pleasing", and it was one reason for rejection.

I am open to making necessary changes to meet guidelines, but I don't want to turn it into something I'm not going to like 100%. Would you or anyone else want to build a house you didn't like 100% ?
Alchemist
#23 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 11:55 AM
You're not able to put it on a smaller lot. I'm not sure how to explain..but here we go. You built thouse on a 60x60 or 64x64 I guess, but when you save/export it, you're not able to put it on a smaller lot because the game will think it needs a lot of space even though it's a smaller house.

If you want it on a smaller lot, you have to rebuild it on a smaller lot.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#24 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 12:03 PM
Lots for TS3 need to be furnished - players can choose to purchase furnished or unfurnished, and houses placed in the neighborhood but not inhabited yet may be used for story progression, so sims may move into them without the player's involvement - they need to be full houses to make that really work in the neighborhood.

There's no rule against placing a house in the dead center of the lot - but it can look a bit unrealistic that way. In real life, a house on a large lot is rarely placed dead center - usually it'll be set a bit back or forward, or off to one side a bit, and the landscaping will be done up around it.

Bright colours can be done well, or poorly. You can't use eye-searingly bright colours, but some bright colours, done well, are acceptable for upload.

Of course I'm not saying you should build a house you don't like - but the point of Creator Feedback is to help you build a house for MTS upload, so you will either have to find ways to alter the house so that you both do like it and it fits the guidelines, or build it just for yourself if your vision of it does not meet the guidelines.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#25 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 12:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leo06girl
I am open to making necessary changes to meet guidelines, but I don't want to turn it into something I'm not going to like 100%. Would you or anyone else want to build a house you didn't like 100% ?

Of course I would not like to build a house I did not like. The thing IS, you are building this house to share (to upload on MTS), hopefully for people to download it.

If you are just building for you and your game then you can do what the heck you like, if you are building for others AS WELL then you will have to be a bit more "mainstream" in your approach.

It all depends what your goal is.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: See last post
Page 1 of 2