Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 7:04 PM Last edited by hudy777DeSign : 27th Nov 2011 at 7:13 PM.
Roman Bath (November Theme) **IT'S CC TIME*
OK
I'm big fan of ancient world especially Greek and Roman, i studied a lot about it in my high school.
I didn't know what to make, I suck in making clothing and then mykke11 suggested to make roman bath
so here is rough preview of roman bath for November theme
There is still a lot of work but i think this is main concept
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 7:48 PM
I would probably remove the little square of roof around the bath, i don't know why but it kind of bugs me. [See the pic for more detail.]

My mini website: Skimmer55
Scholar
#3 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 7:55 PM
Woah, this looks awesome. I feel inferior to your Sims awesomeness, but my only suggestion would be to possibly add some decor items, like statues or greenery.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 8:19 PM
yes i agree, maybe some thing like THIS looking good other =wise

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
Woah, this looks awesome. I feel inferior to your Sims awesomeness, but my only suggestion would be to possibly add some decor items, like statues or greenery.

I'm making exterior first, i was thinking of furnish it after the main building is finished.
I'm also thinking to replace main pool with some kind of continuous hot-tub.
I have several sculptures of my own i'll post pictures soon

VISIT MY NEW SITE hudy777DeSign
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 12:13 AM
Here are some new previews

Quote: Originally posted by Skimmer55
I would probably remove the little square of roof around the bath, i don't know why but it kind of bugs me. [See the pic for more detail.]

it really looks much better without roof in the middle, thanks

To be done:
need to remove shine from corner arch
make new door-arches at front of building
remove fountains from main building
replace textures on the arches
decorate interior
make continuous hot-tub (hope i will succeed in this )

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 4:45 PM
woah, really good work, it looks so much better, now you put in the vaulted ceilings. Maybe, though, you shouldn't think about rushing trying to put in loads of updates, maybe you should think of doing all the tweaks needed before uploading an update. but otherwise keep up the good work

Instructor
#8 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 6:47 PM
Something about the roof is bothering me. I'm not sure if it's the color, the pitch, the texture... It just doesn't seem to feel very "roman" to me. Perhaps it's because it's the same roof I see on so many other buildings that it just screams TS3, but perhaps trying different color/texture combinations?

I agree that the middle pool looks much better without the roof and the vaulted ceiling looks very cool.

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
dodgy builder
#9 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 8:57 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 11th Nov 2011 at 9:19 PM.
I really don't like those 2 stories columns there is something not greek about the shape in the middle. I think the greeks columns is much more slender and elegant. The 1 story columns is much better.

Did some research: I found a good picture of Parthenon in Greece, It has Dorian columns. It may perhaps have a similar shape, but it's also constructed to be seen from below. It has vertical carvings too. The ancient's was very much aware of what eyes would see. I think these EA columns is fat in the middle, the greek version is perhaps a bit wider in the middle, but not that much in my opinion. I would try'n use the 1 story columns there instead, or you can use different columns.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/...-alan-grant.htm

EDIT. About the roof. I tried using the other versions available to me on my roman villa today. They really don't look good. I ended up on the same roof color. You could try making more out of the top of the columns/roof section. Awesims have cornices you might find useful, perhaps not really roman

I picked up another pics along the way, shows the work on that section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S...enordnungen.jpg
Field Researcher
#10 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 11:21 PM
1, i think this looks awesome, but yeah there is something about the roof colour that doesnt sit right... 2, vaulted ceiling= amazing!!! ive never even thought of trying that!! how'd you do it?!

on an unrelated note. the parthenon's pillars were slightly wider in the middle to give the impression that they were straight from a distance, as if you look at something from far away it seems to curve outwards at the edges, so they made them curve out a bit in the middle to eliminate this.

in all fairness I wouldnt be too bothered about this as the columns should be 2 stories tall (at least) and you can only do as much as the game allows for!! though i dunno if theres a better column in the game for this task.

i didnt know this was the theme for the month!! where does everyone find this out?! roman is my favourite period ever!!!! i need to start building something INSANE for the month :D

I'm the sexy guy with half an orange in my face ;)
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#11 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 4:38 AM
You're doing great so far, I especially love the vaulted ceiling

Your pattern choices are great and the feel is very roman, so just a few things that I can think to improve this at this point:

1. I agree with the roof. The pitch is high and the color just jumps out. If you have WA, there are these very nice red and orange roofs you could try out. If you don't have that game, then I would suggest CC roof.

2. The wallpapers need detailing. It's a classical roman shape that you have there, and it is quite boxy, so you can reduce that feel by using your great texture selecting skills on the walls too

I too love the ancient cultures, and am making a roman villa for the theme, all though it will be so big I'll never finish it in time

ps. So nice to have you back, it's been ages since I've seen you on the forums!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 12:30 AM Last edited by hudy777DeSign : 14th Nov 2011 at 1:41 PM.
Here are some new changes:

-reshaped pool with Neptune (roman god of sea and water) mosaic in the middle (need to light it up a bit)

-new roof pattern and shape

-added some sculptures and plants

-new columns (more Roman feel i hope)

-new floor and wall textures

To do next:

-in those three rooms opposite of entrance i will make some kind of lounge room with love-seats

-add some more mosaics (romans kinda loved them)

-make some furniture

Custom content so far

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 1:37 AM
Something with the roofs on the ends. Maybe reverse them so they slant down away from the other roof. That's all I can think of right now. I'm really loving this lot, especially the mosiac. I thought it was a real-life picture for a good second.
dodgy builder
#14 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 10:16 AM
I think the roof on those high columns around the pool is missing some edge, I was thinking perhaps you can use something like this pattern. It's the same as yours around the middle, but then it has this rope like edge on the outside. Since you make them yourself?

By skaribanan at 2011-11-14

The new columns are much better.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 12:00 AM Last edited by hudy777DeSign : 18th Nov 2011 at 11:11 AM.
I did some major updates and here are some of them
  • added second floor on whole building
  • made oval walls and added two cupolas
  • made some new furniture
  • added some new fountains

some of this fountains will be replaced with hot-tubs

Instructor
#16 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 3:56 PM
The roof looks great! I think it's really looking good now.

The round walls look amazing, too. Makes me wish we had those in the regular game!! =)

Is there anything you can do with the back of the building? It is looking a little plain compared to the rest. Perhaps adding decorative columns, or even wallpaper with columns on it?

I think once you start tossing around furniture/decor items, it's going to look fantastic!

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Redhead Creations
The roof looks great! I think it's really looking good now.

The round walls look amazing, too. Makes me wish we had those in the regular game!! =)

Is there anything you can do with the back of the building? It is looking a little plain compared to the rest. Perhaps adding decorative columns, or even wallpaper with columns on it?

I think once you start tossing around furniture/decor items, it's going to look fantastic!

Thanks for the advice, I was already thinking about putting some kind of "wall crawling plants" not just on the back of the building but on the sides too

I'm also working on some new statues and hot-tub

Test Subject
#18 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 8:37 AM
wow !! where did you get the vaulted ceiling??
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 11:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by scot954
wow !! where did you get the vaulted ceiling??

I made it
Test Subject
#20 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 12:41 PM
^^ really wow!! great job
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 7:59 PM
Some minor changes made:

-added fog/steam above pool

-made custom bath tub (I'm thinking of replacing it with new bigger one)

-added some flowers

i also tried to make some kind of ivy on the back of building, but i don't think it's look really good or it's just me
Forum Resident
#22 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 2:22 AM
I was trying to make a Roman bath for this theme where the hot tub was more like a bath. This meant raising the hygiene more and have it so the Sims will use the naked outfit instead of a swimsuit. I never could get the script to work for my hot tub, but if you want to use it and have a crack at it for your own hot tub, here is how far I got:

If you do manage to use it and get it running, all I ask is that you PM me and tell me how you managed to get it working.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 12:01 PM
^^
i'm not into this kind of stuff, i dont know how to edit those scripts so you won't get much help from me.

Sorry
Forum Resident
#24 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 7:02 PM
I'm sorry if that came out wrong. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was asking for help on it. I meant that you can use that script to your liking for your custom made hot tub if you'd like. I apologize for not being clear about that.

Regarding your bath house, I think you have done an amazing job!
I am not sure how helpful these will be, but here are some references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Baths_(Bath)
http://www.historyonthenet.com/Romans/bath_house.htm
http://www.odysseyadventures.ca/art...sters_baths.htm
http://www.mariamilani.com/ancient_...roman_homes.htm
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#25 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 7:09 PM
This is looking lovely, I was about to suggest a fog emitter effect for the steam, but you beat me to it!

I built Roman Baths for a world I'm creating, and I put hypocaust floors in with the fog emitter underneath (I used the dragon steam effect to make the whole tepidarium steamy).

Great work so far, I particularly like the pillars and floor textures.
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: contains useful info for lot creators
Page 1 of 2