Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 5:35 AM
Default we can make custom traits..
if anything, i hope my thread points creators in the right direction (given that they haven't found this already).

i've been hanging out in the mod creation forums, and this was linked in a post:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...entation#latest

i downloaded the .zip and opened the TS4 custom content pdf.

Quote:
Part 3 – Detailed Mod Example
Overview
The goal of this Mod is to show a few simple additions to the game. We’re going to create a new trait
(Novelist) that is selectable in CAS and makes a Sim better at writing in a few ways. We’ll then add an
object with a unique interaction for Novelist Sims that can give them a moodlet in-game.
Note that the sample Mod created in this example is supplied with this document, the file is named
simsmodsquad-novelist.package.
Part I: Setting Up the Trait
Trait
Let’s make a Novelist trait. The novelist will be naturally better at writing, become skillful in writing faster,
and maybe even get a new computer mimic.
First, we’ll create an XML file called trait_Novelist.trait.
Next, we’ll want to edit the main fields that we care about on the trait:
1. Display Name (display_name): this is a reference to a string entry that will show up as the name
of the trait. We should call this trait “Novelist” and add that string to our local string database.
Icon (icon): this is a reference to the icon value that should show up for this trait. For this trait,
let’s point it to the existing writing icon for now, which has a key of
2f7d0004:00000000:a6c70d2325617d80.
3. Trait Description (trait_description): this is a reference to a string entry that will show up as the
description of the trait, similar to the Display Name.
4. Ages (ages): this is a list of valid ages for this trait. Most traits are valid for all age groups, which
are BABY, CHILD, TEEN, YOUNGADULT, ADULT, and ELDER.
5. Buffs > Buff Type (buffs / buff_type): this is a reference to a buff file ID, an invisible moodlet that
we’ll give to any Sim who has this trait. This is enclosed in a buffs list. We’ll make this file in the
next step and add a reference to it here.
6. Trait Type (trait_type): we’ll set this to PERSONALITY to make this a personality trait (as opposed
to HIDDEN, for example, which would make it invisible to the player).
7. Tags (tags): We’ll want 2 tags for this trait to get it to show up appropriately in CAS –
TraitPersonality and TraitGroup_Hobbies. The latter tag makes it show up in the right group; the
other 3 groups for personality traits are TraitGroup_Emotional, TraitGroup_Lifestyle, and
TraitGroup_Social.
8. Bonus – Trait Asm Param (trait_asm_param): if a new animation clip is created in the CAS
Animation State Machine (ASM) and attached to the right parameter (CAS_Traits) in the right
state (Traits), this animation will play when the trait is chosen in CAS. Alternatively, this can be set
to a value that already exists (usually just the name of the trait). For the novelist, let’s use the
“Creative” parameter. Note that the CAS ASM data has the resource key
02d5df13:00000000:d8d5c1186ba97fdc.
Traits are objects that require an accompanying binary simdata file as well.
Buff (Invisible)
We need to make a buff to go along with our trait. This buff will be invisible to the player but will change
a few stat-based things to make the Sim a better writer.
Create a file called Buff_Trait_Novelist.buff.
There’s a lot of stuff that buffs can do to affect Sims. We’re going to only edit a few fields that make sense for a writer..

ETC.. so this means custom traits are possible. any comments about this?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 7:08 AM
Aw hell yeah!
I might give it a go myself later, if I'm feeling up for it. But no matter what, this is really awesome! Thanks for posting

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 7:44 AM
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 7:56 AM
Oooooh, I wonder if we'll also be able to edit existing traits too?
Forum Resident
#5 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:26 AM
Custom Traits? Awesome!

I wonder how flexible the game engine is in this manner, could we create a trait for anything? "Nightowl" and "Morning Sim" traits would be awesome, as in they feel happier during their preferred time and tense if they are up too early/too late. An "Unflirty" trait? An "Emotionless" or "Stoic" trait? (Sim takes more moodlets to gain emotional states) An Vegetarian trait? Sexuality Traits?

And on the topic of editing existing traits....might it be possible to rename the "Bro" trait into "Jock"?

Many possibilities.

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phoenixfire88
Custom Traits? Awesome!

I wonder how flexible the game engine is in this manner, could we create a trait for anything? "Nightowl" and "Morning Sim" traits would be awesome, as in they feel happier during their preferred time and tense if they are up too early/too late.

Morning Sim and Night owl type traits are already in the game, but you have to purchase them with aspiration points.

Personally, I'd like to see a few of the uncheaty traits offered as aspiration rewards moved over to normal traits, so maybe this framework can help accomplish that?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:06 AM
it gives me way more hope for ts4. i wonder if new food mods will be possible too.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miggs1123
Morning Sim and Night owl type traits are already in the game, but you have to purchase them with aspiration points.

Personally, I'd like to see a few of the uncheaty traits offered as aspiration rewards moved over to normal traits, so maybe this framework can help accomplish that?

I haven't tried them yet, but their description just says something about giving bonuses to skillining, but if they were moved to the CAS traits they should also effect emotions and cancel each other out.

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Scholar
#9 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miggs1123

But then you can only have three personality traits. The rest are rewards for working your Sim.

Maybe it would be better if non-cheaty traits were "rewards", but free, and had conflicts (ex: morning and night Sim). Remember the pet rewards of vomit-on-demand and never-vomit replacing each other because they conflicted.

The ultimate goal would be to raise the stupid personality trait limit.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 2:13 PM
I've already had some success creating new traits by editing the 'novelist' XML, but the main limitation right now is that I don't know how to create new simdata files. The only way I've gotten it working at the moment is by editing the novelist simdata files.
Test Subject
#11 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:37 PM
I'm currently working on a few custom traits for personal use. They're still works-in-progress, but I'll post what I've done with them if anyone thinks it'll help.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:59 PM
It would be nice to have a list of all the variable you can change, and the possible values for each one.
Test Subject
#13 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 12:27 AM
Isn't that what's linked in the sticky at the top of this forum?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 1:52 AM
yes, i posted this in ts4 general discussion and it was moved here, so i didn't know. lol
Test Subject
#15 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 3:22 AM
Has anyone been able to actually get this into their game, fully functioning? Reading through it seems as though it shouldn't be buggy, but there may be conflicting traits (like good vs evil, for example), or instances where the trait won't work or won't show up.

It's great though : D I'd love to take a few traits from the Sims 3 and use them here, haha.

Is there any way to add more than three traits as well, or are we stuck with three?
Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 12:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mikeys.nonsense
Has anyone been able to actually get this into their game, fully functioning? Reading through it seems as though it shouldn't be buggy, but there may be conflicting traits (like good vs evil, for example), or instances where the trait won't work or won't show up.

It's great though : D I'd love to take a few traits from the Sims 3 and use them here, haha.

Is there any way to add more than three traits as well, or are we stuck with three?

As long as your trait's ID doesn't conflict with any other ones, it's fine. There IS ways to say that it shouldn't be used in tandem with certain other traits. I've successfully created a couple of my own traits as a test.

As for your other question, no.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 9:52 AM
So does this replace existing traits, or add to them?

Also, how far can we push this? Id love a "content with poverty" trait, lowering the bad moodlets for using cheap items. Might need to think of a better name for the trait.

Check out The Moore Legacy, a Sims4 legacy blog.
Also - Stranded on Sixam Challenge... Can your sim live long-term on an alien planet?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 10:12 AM
How about Frugal? I imagine a frugal sim would be happier with cheaper objects.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 10:44 AM
That is actually one of the easiest traits to create, you have the option to replace specific moodlets with custom ones for a sim with a specific trait.

You do not need to replace existing traits, and currently I do not know if it even is possible to replace existing traits.

To increase to personality trait limit a quite extensive mod has to be created (tuning and UI mod, probably not scripting though).
Forum Resident
#20 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 4:02 PM
I wonder how these custom traits fit into the CAS UI...
Test Subject
#21 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 2:40 PM
Having the ability to mod the traits was always a feature i wanted for Sims.

Thx for the information about this possibility. Tried my own things with modding them, but i am a bloody newbie in modding the Sims and so i wasn't very successful. Some of the things in the guide are a bit "inaccurate".

As example the keys. How i understood it, we have to generate them with the FNV Hash (good, that there are some generators out already :D) and set the first bit to 1 by the keys. By the data itself, we have to use OR with 0x8000000000000000, what can be done very easy with the windows calculator in programming mode. Sim4Pie has aswell already an generator, generating the key out of the filename.

I managed to get on the default traits (SimulationDeltaBuild0.package in ...\The Sims 4\Data\Simulation from the Origin folder) and took a look into them. They seems to be a bit different from the example. Tried to test a bit around with the novalist example, but i don't know, how i get the display_name and trait_description working. There was something about the string table, but haven't found it yet. There is a document namend “StringTable Template.bt”., but donno if we have to include it directly and add something there. Haven't understood this.

Things i tried to make and fails in are:
1. clone a trait and rename it and the discription (problem with the string table)
2. clone the buff, rename it and connect it to the other cloned trait
3. add and remove certain already existing attributes, from other traits

Well, if somebody know how this works and already managed to make own traits, i join the group of people endorsing some examples and even a better explanation as the one in the custom content guide.
Scholar
#22 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jendra9311
So does this replace existing traits, or add to them?

Also, how far can we push this? Id love a "content with poverty" trait, lowering the bad moodlets for using cheap items. Might need to think of a better name for the trait.

Low Standards?
Humble? (Actually, that should be tied to a new Pride emotion, and Humble Sims are harder to make proud or embarrassed.)

Either have it as a cheaty trait (and make it a reward) or have it as a non-cheaty trait (make it conflict with Snob/Materialistic/Foodie, and make Sims complain about fancy stuff instead)

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.