Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#126 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 4:29 PM
ah.
so it looks like the seccond floor does not count towards the 64 tile rule unless it went over the 64 tiles you originaly used on the bottom? (floor i mean)
and here was me using a 64 tile TOTAL rule XD no wonder there wasnt room to swing a cat (or sim) in my homes lmao
well my first gen sims for the apox can continue to live in those small pokey homes, and then once the law restrictions and move em out a bit to the bigger ones hehe ^^
and i can now build bigger homes with the same amount of bottom but optional upstairs and if i like them enough, upload empty unfurnished versions so you can trashify em yourselves (or not hehe)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#127 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 4:54 PM
I thought the 64 tiles pertained to each floor. So you can have 2 floors in the beginning and one basement - 64 tiles for each. Yeah, having an 8x8 space to live in would be really tight once you added a spouse and child. The beds, themselves, would take up a lot of room. I see why you really needed those shelf beds, now!
Forum Resident
#128 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 5:58 PM
8x8 area (or 64 tiles for less boxy) should be allowed for each level.
Field Researcher
#129 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 7:35 PM
great ^^ then i have some empty (unfurnished) lots for peeps

the first ones are from befor, when i was restricting myself to 64 tiles total, but can still be usefull for the chalenge (call em mini-lots)

there is the container house. its built ontop of a couple of containers for strength so the floors dont give too much. 2 seperate rooms, so kitchen/bathroom and bed/livingroom i guess.
(hm, cant seem to get it to take my rar file)
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#130 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 7:46 PM
anyway, i wil show the pics here, and work out the spannering later hehe.
the seccond one is an old abandoned farm with a large old (empty) grain silo

this one has 3 sperate rooms, the kichen and bathroom together (so you only need one sink lol) a sperate living room are that can later be swapped into a babys room if needed maybe and a third room for sleeping in (mine has 6 bunks in with the cabin bunks hehe)
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#131 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 7:55 PM
lastly, a big (for me lol) bunker thats from after the 64 tile total period.

2 floors, a parking space for if you want to grab the junkyard car fixer upper, and plenty of razorwire to kee p out the neighbours..assuming the neighbrous are the undead that is. this ones got a mixture of fences but its all from mod the sims
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#132 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 8:07 PM
Wow, those all look really great, and your bunker looks AWESOME!!

(Btw, did you know the gridlines in Buy- and Build-Mode don't show up when you click the color swatch tool thingie?)
Field Researcher
#133 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 8:28 PM Last edited by Rayea : 22nd Sep 2011 at 10:53 AM.
yeah, i just didnt notice i was still in fence mode XD
im just wondering why it wouldnt take the rar file. someone uploaded their images and files on page 2 or 3 i think it was, the factory. do youhave to keep the rar or zip files in a special place?

*edit. i just cant seem to get it to take the files i get a error 500 when using the normal mode and it just sits there prosessing on the old mode...nothing is over the 10mg limit so i dunno why is whining at me.
Forum Resident
#134 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 9:48 PM
Haha, it just occurred to me the gridlines are good for compliance audits.
Test Subject
#135 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 12:09 PM
Those are really awesome, Rayea! Great job. Did you say you were going to upload them? I was thinking that after I got my Apocalypse Challenge done, I might do a kind of military/post apocalyptic style Prosperity Challenge using this hood. Your big bunker would come in handy.

Tigger was the first to use the new bathtub.

And cheers to Kirby who unlocked Pet Security and enabled the family to move on to R2! I had my adult male get a job in Intelligence because I think that is the one that feels the most restrictive. Two of the elders passed away, so the house only has 4 people living in it now.

I'm having a glitch with my repo man. He gets out of his truck, but then leaves without taking anything, and the bills are gone. I'm not sure if I one of my mods is conflicting with it, but I don't have anything that alters repo men in my game. HDCU doesn't turn up anything. Maybe I'll pull out everything and see if it's still a problem.
Field Researcher
#136 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 3:06 PM Last edited by Rayea : 22nd Sep 2011 at 8:07 PM.
yeah, i was going to upload 3 of them last night (the ones in the pictures) but i cant get the attatchment part to take my rar files.
does this mean if i try to make a full upload it will still give me error 500?
(i kinda wanted to just upload em here on the thread hehe, so they would stay in the alt version thread.)

also, i got a comic compilation today andin it was a zombie version of big brother XD he who is last survivor standing wins and gets out of the house..now THATS a big brother i would watch (wonder if there is a way to do that here some how?)

(edit2: im not sure they would get past moderation Phae, casue my picture taking skills arent up to the rules i read. plus im not sure i can use the Clean Installer as last time i did, it only worked up to seasons or so. and i cant get any info about what expansions and stuff packs it supports now, only the info on what its update numbers are ect so that also means i cant upload these ones. infact the only one i might be able to upload is a 8x8 one i made. but again, without the Clean Installer i dont think im allowed to upload here. have them on a file site but not sure if its against rules to point peeps at them in a thread, or if its okay to in a PM ect. been so long since i uploaded anything here.)
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#137 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 3:25 PM
Rayea, you can't upload them in this thread. You need to upload them the normal way, through moderation. Once they've been approved, I'll add them to the list of suggested living arrangements.

Illeeya, it might be that your bills are so high you just don't have enough stuff for him to repo. Does your $$ change when that happens?

Please guys, can we get back on topic of actually playing the challenge? I think I've settled all the rules, now I want to hear how your survivors are ... surviving. Illeeya, you are officially the first person ever to get to R2, congrats!!! You are a Bronze Apox Survivor, keep going!
Test Subject
#138 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 9:24 PM
No, the money doesn't change after the repo man comes. You may be right. Nothing the family has is worth much of anything. Maybe I'll throw something expensive in the yard to test.

R2 - here I come!
Field Researcher
#139 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 9:45 AM
Hi everyone! VT is back, and ready to get started, after being way too busy with other stuff. What did I miss?

OK, maybe 'ready to get started' is a tiny bit optimistic. I still have a half-built hood awaiting completion and I want to get that done first. It's not a challenge, but it is post-apocalyptic, and I'd be having fun with the building if I didn't hate building. I'm just struggling with the community lots, as I've decided that my mutant survivors have set up camp in an abandoned university, but aside from the premade colleges (which I never use because they're too modern and ordinary, alien in LFT aside) I have no idea what one looks like. (Writing from England, where colleges work differently, and I don't go out much anyway) Hmm. So any new projects are on hold until I finish that, which could take a while unless anyone has any tips on building abandoned student unions that don't look like abandoned shoeboxes.

- VT

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Test Subject
#140 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 12:20 PM
I'm not a builder either, nuidya. I downloaded community lots for this challenge. I did build my home lot though...which looks like a box, but it's functional and gets the job done.

The repo man is working just fine. I plunked some expensive statues down in the yard, and he was all too happy to take them when the bills were past due.
Lab Assistant
#141 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
Illeeya, you are officially the first person ever to get to R2, congrats!!! You are a [color=brown]Bronze Apox Survivor[/color], keep going!

Hey, I thought I announced I'd made it to R2 way back in post 106. I've gone nowhere since, but I did make it that far. I'm just waiting for the kids to grow up so I have someone to start clearing something in R2. The son is slated for Politics. The jury is still out on the daughter. I'm leaning toward Journalism, but Oceanography and Education look more useful.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#142 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 1:20 AM
Whoops, you are right, jeff. I missed you saying you had made it into R2 because it was at the very bottom of your post underneath a quote. You are also officially a Bronze Apox Survivor. Congrats to you both.
Test Subject
#143 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 11:35 PM
Congrats, Jeff.

After clearing medical, it is so much easier to keep the family happy, especially the kids. They'll play chess, now, for hours, whereas before, they refused because their hygiene was always in the red. They actually refused to do a lot of things. The family is overall still miserable because they rarely get what they want since I can't lock in wants, yet. The elders, in particular, cry all the time. But the family is in a much better place than it was at the beginning.
Field Researcher
#144 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 8:24 PM
I haven't started yet, but I've come up with my backstory for the challenge. I had two goals with the backstory, which were to explain how the hood got into that state (especially as I'm going for a mid-uni start, which sounds to me like the most fun way to start off) and to give a plausible reason why the challenge family ages and the townies do not. I opted for a sort of "science-fantasy" theme, and from that came up with this:

The setting is a world that, at the start, is similar to our own with two major exceptions: 1) technology is powered by magical means and 2) there are no humans, the world is populated by another race that is vaguely humanoid with different genetics. (Large collection of custom skins and eyes ahoy!) My founder will be a young genius studying at an academy for advanced techno-magical research. He is conducting private experiments involving tinkering about with time, which is never a good idea. If I roll double sixes during uni, one of his experiments will go horribly wrong; if I don't, then he will create a machine of some sort and demonstrate it at graduation... and that will go horribly wrong.

Either way, he will find himself in the middle of a frozen wasteland which, of course, is his hometown. Only he's been transported into the future, several thousand years to be exact. Everyone else has just stopped going there (making excuses again, this time for the annoying "it's only one region that's been devastated by disaster, but no one on the outside is doing anything to help and the only ones on the inside who can are blood relatives of this one random Sim" thing that has always bugged me). However, all the townsfolk he knew from his own time are still there, not aging, due to side effects of the experiments. (This is also why it's always snowing.) But living an immortal life in a perpetual winter has driven most of them mad. A few have managed to keep their sanity and set up some basic community lots, and when he learns what happened, the founder will of course step in to help. The place where he lands, as another side effect, is a small zone where time still moves, so anyone brought into that area will begin to age again. This zone will expand over time (as I unlock the ability to move Sims out) until the entire region is restored.

I'm quite proud of that. I think it turned out pretty well to say I only took five minutes to come up with it. My only issue is starting with a male founder. Nothing against the guys, but my personal Simmer's Code happens to include a rule that all hoods must be VT Original Settings and all VTOS must be matriarchal to some degree, which is difficult to pull off with a male founder. (I have noticed that the rules might restrict you from moving a Sim in before the Hopelessness restriction is lifted, but say nothing about not breeding with the townies... but then that would make working a little tricky with a baby in the house, and whether or not the rule mods stop the social worker, I'm playing other hoods too, so I'm not using the rule mods...)

- VT

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#145 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 5:28 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 27th Sep 2011 at 4:38 PM.
Nuidya, that all sounds fun! There are a couple things I'd like to point out. Apparently the odds of not rolling double sixes before you make it out of Uni are quite high, so just look out for plain doubles instead. Secondly, “Why do they call it nuclear winter? Because everything is dead. The snow you see is toxic ash.”. Thirdly, there is nothing wrong with using the townies as sperm donors, but the pregnancy rule still applies. You will have a bit of a harder time with keeping the social worker at bay with a baby in the house and you at work, so good luck with that one. Though, nothing wrong with using the kids as your first lifts, but I think we proved that kids kinda hate not being able to shower... I'm interested to hear how it all turns out for you!
Field Researcher
#146 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 10:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Phae. Any doubles it is, and as for the baby thing - you have to be a little insane to try an Apocalypse in the first place if you ask me, so why not go completely insane like my timeless townie survivors?

(As far as the snow goes, hey, alternate universe, it could be snow OR toxic ash OR some other third thing entirely. It could be a mixture of all three. It could be an ice demon in the sky with really bad dandruff. Either way, it's freezing and there's lots of it. )

And just so you all know, I'm actually called VT. I just named my account after my favourite 'hood.

- VT

simblr
Field Researcher
#147 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 3:11 PM
wait, no one told me my founder had to be MALE? o.o i started with a girl (Patty lol)
VT, that sounds both weird and fantastic makes me think that not only is it your founders fault at technomage academy (oopsies, there goes the neighbourhood lol) but that maybe his returning also helped casue more chaos becasue his temporal constancy bubble expanding clashing eventualy with the temporaly static bubble that his accident casued, and its backlash went backwards causing even more mess (yeah, i loved that effect on LiS movie and the crstal bubbles)

im not sure what to do now though. Patty got lucky, an old friend from Uni was a walkby and when she checked him out, he was her type they did first kiss and everything and he's her guy now. but if i was supposed to start with a male..do i stick the militaryR1 back in and carry on from him or carry on reguardless or start over?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#148 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 4:37 PM
There is no rule saying the founder needs to be male. It just tends to be easier as they are fertile longer. Have your founder get a little May-December action Keep going with your challenge Rayea! Good luck!
Theorist
#149 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 6:29 PM
I'd love to play it, but I just can't memorize all the rules! It sounds downright impossible, even with the mod collection there are too many other rules to memorize.
Field Researcher
#150 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 6:38 PM
thats why Phae added a small wordfile to the mod set. what i did was unrar'd the files, made a seperate folder (OMG ZOMBIES lol) and placed everyhting for the zombies in there. then made a shortcut to the list of rules that cant be made into mods on my desktop and when i am not sure, i alt+TAB button to my desktop and scan thru them. if it isnt listed in those, and can be done then its usualy okay

(and i finaly got my stuff sorted. if you want to take a look, check my sig for a pointer to my old forum heheh. i have pics there in the housing for the apocalypse section)
Page 6 of 43