Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Turn off the TV when stop watching (from bed, too)

by Numenor Posted 15th Apr 2005 at 10:12 PM - Updated 12th Feb 2009 at 1:57 PM by Numenor : Updated game compatibility note

180 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 174 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 5 of 8
Test Subject
#101 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 10:05 AM
does it work with EP
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#102 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 9:55 PM
Yes, it does.
Field Researcher
#103 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 5:54 AM
Hey Numenor,

Back again. I was poking around the hack because I was hoping to get a better understanding of how mods work and what not. I even d/l'd the disasims 2 and it has helped somewhat, but things are still a bit too dense and complicated for me. :P

In any case, I just wanted to clarify, as I only saw two significant changes that you made:

In 2018:

Stack Obj's Attribute 0x6 <= Literal Value 0x1

The true target is now set to just true. This seems to bypass all the neat checks and thus, I assume this is the part that pretty much forces all sims to turn the TV off regardless of their neatness. Yes?

In 2021:

Temprorary Storage 0x0 Equals? Temporary Storage 0x0

Both the true and false target now go to 0x2018, which is your modified Should I Turn Off? BHAV.

I was wondering if you could elaborate on this? Is this change necessary to the function of your hack? I'm still new to all of this and I'm not quite sure exactly what this line does. I imagine that some temp values are set after the Am I in Bed? and Get/Set In Bed checks, but I don't quite understand what is set, why, and what the values mean.

I searched through the TV Globals hoping to find out why these changes could possibly, in any way, cause the problem of trying to Change the Channel while in bed resulting in turning the TV off instead. For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out, it all looks correct to me, but then again I have a very limited understanding of what is going on. I tried to look for all instances of Am I in Bed? checks and Get/Set In Bed calls, and through any related Change Channel or Use Remote interactions/functions and I can't see why they should be affected.

I could have missed something, if you made any other changes that I didn't notice. Plus, trying to trace through the spaghetti code is really wearning my brain cell and eyes out Hehe, not your fault, just can't imagine this is how games are written. :P

Anyhew, I just wanted to make sure that I at least understood what you changed and why. Sorry to be such a bother. :hmm:

Ste
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#104 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 11:12 AM
Syberspunk, I appreciate very much your inclination to learn and I'm very glad to give all the needed explanation

Mind that I'm not an experienced BHAV modder, and therefore my solutions, though effective, may be quite rought, sometimes... :P

As for the BHAV 0x2018, you guessed right: it jumps all the checks about the neatness of the watching sim, but I tried to keep all the other tests, in particular the one about the existence of other sims watching TV.
After having checked if the TV is on (line 0), the BHAV checks if there are other watching sims (stack object's attribute 0x06 = watcher count: this info is contained in the Text List 0x100 of the TV, it's not a global value).

As for the BHAV 0x021, I've deleted one line that was executed while the watching sim was in bed; the original line called the semiglobal 0x202F ("TV - React to turn Off") and then exited the BHAV without executing the "Should I turn off" hacked BHAV.
I had to do so because I wanted the sim in the bed to always execute the hacked "Should I tun TV Off?" BHAV. I'm not sure why (I told you I'm not much experienced), but leaving the BHAV as it was, the sim in the bed very often didn't turn the TV off, even if there weren't other sims watching.

Just a last note: DisaSims2 can't decode correctly my hack because in my package there isn't a "Global Data" file; therefore, DisaSims2 can't decode the name of the global BHAVs called within my hack.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Scholar
#105 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 2:55 PM
this is wonderful! thanks so much!
Instructor
#106 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 7:25 PM
Big Thankyou. This hack has been much needed.
#107 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 9:51 PM
I love this hack the sims can sleep in peace and not have to worry about turning the tv off. This is a great hack
Test Subject
#108 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 6:47 AM
The FIRST hack I downloaded! Just haaad to have it.

No more annoying children's commercials running in the living room all night long.... thanks!
Test Subject
#109 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 6:44 AM
Works great. Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 2:09 PM Last edited by ililas : 8th Aug 2005 at 3:09 PM.
I download it right away because I NEED it :-)

Thank you very much Numenor, I will try it right away and come back to tell if its work on my game.

I'm so happy for this hack, I'v been wait this for long time because I was so tired about my sims who doesn't turn off the tv when they go to sleep.

Big hug to you xxx

I edit to say, ITS WORKING very well, :clap: :lovestruc :yippee: Thank you again.
Test Subject
#111 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 10:47 PM
My sims can't anymore repair TV, this problem appeared after I got this hack. I tell them to repair it, they take tools to their hand, go down a little bit, but then stand up again doing nothing and then they go to do what ever they were assigned to do next. I tried to put TV in the middle of room, so any else object wasn't on their way etc. I had to buy whole new TV.

Anyone else having this problem?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#112 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 7:25 PM
I've tested my hack once more in both an EP and non-EP clean installations (i.e. without any other hacks), and I had no problems having my sims (or the repairman) repair the TVs.

There must be at least another hack in your downloads folder that either causes the problem or interferes with my hack, causing the problem.
If my hack is incompatible with other hacks, I'm interested in knowing it; so, would you please list any hacks in your downloads that may be related with the TV or the repairing?
Have you installed the dmaNPC or tha All-in-one NPCs?
Test Subject
#113 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 9:07 PM Last edited by BlackAngel : 13th Aug 2005 at 9:12 PM.
I do not have dmaNPC or All-in-one NPCs hacks (used Clean Installer to make this sure). I make list here all of my hacks that are related to electronics (computer, phone etc.), non-electronic objects that needs repairing sometimes (piano) and hacks that are related to NPCs.

Just got this TV hack and anything else haven't got broken yet (and currently I'm figthting with stuck NPC bug in that same lot. EDIT: This started about two sim days after I bought new TV so I don't think that my sims' incapality of fixing something is related to this problem) so I can't say that does sims have problems only fixing TV or anything else too.

I play TS2 w/o Uni, w/ first released patch.

Electronics:
stereohackv2
Numenor_Turn-Off-TV_Fix
novelprogress
phonehack-old

Piano:
ailias_pianomorelessmaniacal

NPCs:
dailygardener
jordi_TS2BetterNames

I have 16 other this-makes-your-life-more-comfortable-and-your-sims-bit-smarter -hacks and I can list those too if necessary.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#114 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 11:54 PM
No, the hacks you have specified doesn't conflict with mine.

The first thing you should try is to run the game with the testing cheats enabled.
To do so, enter the lot and hit CTRL+SHIFT+C to open the cheat box; type in exactly boolprop testingCheatsEnabled true and then hit ENTER.
Now order a sim to repair the TV.
If an error window opens up, write down what it says and then post here to tell me.

If no error window opens up, then, if you want to solve this riddle, you have to run some tests, moving in and out of the downloads folder some hacks.

First of all, just to be sure, you should move out my hack, start the game and verify that the sims can't repair the TV.
If they can't repair the TV than my hack is not responsible; if they *can* repair the TV, move my hack again into the downloads and move out, one by one, all the other hacks, until (hopefully) the sims will be able to complete the repairing job again.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#115 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 12:25 AM
I gotta do that but it might take day or two, 'cause first I want to get rid of this NPC bug + no one's TV is currently broken at any lot + game takes about 20-25 minutes to load from Windows --> Neighborhood browser --> Neighborhood --> Lot + those loading times gets to my nerves.. So after NPC bug thing I have to make my Sims to watch TV a lot so it brokes and then I can start testing those things you suggested.
Test Subject
#116 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 1:50 AM Last edited by sasha7617 : 14th Aug 2005 at 2:11 AM. Reason: add to last post
thanks
Before I download a gameplay hack I read the whole thread. I for one want to see what problems people are having if any and two I want to see if the creator is addressing those problems. Well I feel really confident in downloading this hack b/c you have more than address other people's issues for that I give you appluse.
This is a great idea and for the last few days b/c of a challenge I am doing w/ a sloppy sim I was needing this (saw it before didn't get b/c I tend to have neat sims). So thanks for making the challenge a little easier to take.

*EDIT*
I saw that some people had asked about a stereo hack like this. Well I went through the 8 pages of gameplay hacks and couldn't find one. I also saw on this thread were Numeror (probably spelled that all wrong if I did sorry) said that it could be done but couldn't change the station on the radio. Well just to add my two cents I would be really happy to have it w/o being able to change the station. If there is one out there and I just missed it for someone to point it out to me would be great.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Sasha
Test Subject
#117 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 4:14 AM Last edited by BlackAngel : 14th Aug 2005 at 4:19 AM.
I think that hack you mean is this:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=9723

At the time I got this link it was on fourth page in this same forum, it also can be found by searching word "stereo".

EDIT: Remember to take v2 from 8th post of that thread, not the one from first. And of course read the thread .
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#118 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 9:17 AM
BlackAngel, if you want to speed up loading times (only for testing purpose), you can move the whole Downloads content somewhere out of the EA Games folder (even on the desktop). Just avoid entering already existing lots: instead, create a test lot (just a room with a door) and put a sim in it. Add a TV and "break" it: to do this instantly, activate the testing cheats (boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true), shift-click on the TV and choose "Set Repair Level".
Save the lot, so that you'll always have a lot with a broken TV for future use.

Now you can restart the game easily, adding and removing hacks at will, and the loading times will be extremely fast.

When finished, move again all the downloads into the Downloads folder.

If you like, we can speed up the research if you put in a single rar (or zip) all the hacks that you currently have in your downloads folder (they are 20, more or less, so there should be no problem of size), and post the archive here.

Sasha - You're right when you say that the whole thread should be read; but mind that when the problem is a conflict with other hacks, you might not find notice of it, since each creator only ensures that his own hack works well. Creators simply can't test hacks in combination with any other existing hack. For instance, in this thread, so far, there have been not a single post about problems in repairing TVs (that's why I thought that that the problem was to be searched in another hack, or a particular combination of hacks).

Hopefully, with BlackAngel's help, we'll work out this issue.

Test Subject
#119 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 9:14 PM
Thanks blackangel to the link to jm's hack. I already saw this and it really wasn't quite what i want. I want the same thing as the tv one, once they are done listening to it they turn it off, automatically. JM's hack won't let them touch it unless they are told to...but I'm not griping I downloaded it and aprreciate the assistance.

Which is it possible to have one like that...just askin' to stoke my curiosity!

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Sasha
Test Subject
#120 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 12:18 AM
My computer hates me. One 256 ram just broke, so now I have only 128+256 ram in my 933 mHz Pentium III comp and this is soooo sloooooow.... It takes forever to open single browser window (ok, I have Sims 2 running in backround ).

But let's get to the point.

Got rid of stuck NPC bug. I moved family out and bulldozed the lot. In their new house they first didn't had TV at all, they even hadn't simoleons to buy enough beds (I'm not comfortable with using kaching or motherlode). But with time they were able to buy TV too, thanks to mother's well-payed job. It didn't took much time it to broke and I commanded same sim (family's mother, they have no father in household and children are just kids, so they can't repair anything) to fix it. And she fixed it. Just like that. Right away. I saved before I commanded her to repair it and tried couple of times again. Every time no problem.

So it was some temporary bug or it was related to that house which I bulldozed. It was downloaded from TSR2 and had no unwanted hacks in it (I'm worshipping Clean Installer's creator). But I'm not modder, I'm just player, so someone smarter than me can go figure out that why she couldn't fix TV in their previous house. I still have this house 'cause I'm saving all downloaded stuff in .rar:s for just in case that things like this happens and also waiting that day when I finally can get new comp. This means that I can re-install that lot in game and try that is it just that house somehow..

But it seems that this problem didn't have anything to do with your hack, Numenor. Sorry that I bothered you. :sprint:
Test Subject
#121 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sasha7617
Which is it possible to have one like that...just askin' to stoke my curiosity!

Only thing (which I've heard) related to stereos that's impossible for now is to create own radio stations.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#122 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 2:16 AM
Never mind, BlackAngel, it was not your fault either. Some lots are simply possessed by poltergeist!

Test Subject
#123 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 5:25 AM
[SPAM] :laugh: [/SPAM]
Test Subject
#124 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 9:08 AM
Hey! This hack is SO COOL! I LOVE IT! I was so annoyed with the whole leaving-the-tv-open-thing, that i some times used to delete my tvs, so my sims could get enough sleep!

Anyway, do u know where i can get the same hack but for the radio?
(They usually let that one open too, and the go to sleep...)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#125 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 9:46 AM
BlackAngel reported the link to a useful radio hack some posts above; anyway, here it is again:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=9723

Page 5 of 8