Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2023 at 3:06 PM
A question for expert programmers (or anyone who can explain, actually)
Hello there, fellow simmers!

When you download lots of cc, you truly appreciate the value of subcategories, no kidding. But in Buy Mode, with the exception of the eight last category, all the others have virtual space for two more subcategories.
So, my question is:

- How easy/difficult would be to implement this in the game, adding two more subcats? Please, tell me a little about it, don't just say "A lot!"... I'm not very techno sapient, but I want to understand.

- There are re-categorizing programs for cc items, but would it be possible to recategorize Maxis original items as well? I'd honestly like to move the two aquariums in Deco to the Pet subcat, for example. Also, there are items that don't show up unless you go "All", which bothers me a bit too.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 29th Jun 2023 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leontinees
- There are re-categorizing programs for cc items, but would it be possible to recategorize Maxis original items as well? I'd honestly like to move the two aquariums in Deco to the Pet subcat, for example. Also, there are items that don't show up unless you go "All", which bothers me a bit too.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your first question, but the answer to this one is easy! Any buy object can be extracted from its FAR file, recategorized with SimWardrobe's useful Sim Categorizer program, then put into the same folder as the FAR file it's overriding, and the buy object will be in the new section of the catalog.

I've moved both of the aquariums to the Pets section to demonstrate; you can find them here: Aquariums Recategorized As Pets.

To do this yourself,
1. Use the FarOut program to open the FAR file that contains the object you want to recategorize and extract it to your The Sims\Downloads folder. Close FarOut.
2. Use the SimCategorizer program to open the file you just extracted. Put it into whatever category and subcategory you like. You can make it available in the Downtown, Vacation, StudioTown, and MagicTown neighborhoods if you wish. Save the object and exit the program.
3. Now that it's recategorized, move the object from your Downloads folder to the folder that contains the FAR file that you extracted it from. (We originally put it into the Downloads folder because that's where SimCategorizer looks for objects.)

See? Easy!

I've attached the programs necessary to do this to this post, but I didn't make them; they're by James A. Sausville, more commonly known as SimWardrobe.

Have fun!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  FarOut156.zip (45.9 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: zip  SimCategorizer364.zip (129.7 KB, 4 downloads)

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html