Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*Recolourable* Holy Smoke modular stairs

by Numenor Posted 12th Mar 2005 at 9:28 PM - Updated 18th Mar 2007 at 10:59 PM by Numenor : Fixed in-text images

143 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 137 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 6
Forum Resident
#51 Old 18th Mar 2005 at 10:47 PM
First off, these are a joy to recolor for novices like me (this is my first one! *does happy dance*) when using SimPE 31b.

I am so thrilled that I want to post the pic here (I hope you don't mind). you can download my rusted version of these stairs with dirty glass in the recolor thread for these stairs.

Thank you Numenor! Thank you, thank you! *big smooch*
Screenshots
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#52 Old 19th Mar 2005 at 5:58 PM
I like these stairs most in my game - wanted more black glass and base - white too - 4 modern homes )))
Test Subject
#53 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 7:48 PM
Thanks Numenor!!! I have been dying to have new holy smoke colors!
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 2:27 PM
Default Problems getting the stairs to show
I downloaded brasstex's stairs, followed the instructions and they work fine but are not recolorable...at least for me. Anyway, I installed the holy smoke stairs, edited my script text again, started the game and it crashed. I think it has something to do with the # of the steps in the script text. I put 20 because I figured with all the recolors it had to be that much. Thank heavens I backed up my script. Now I'm totally confused what to do. I'd like to go back to my original script (if I had one) and start all over again. Any advice much appreciated!
Scholar
#55 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 2:32 PM
Wow! gorgeous! Thanks
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 2:46 PM Last edited by Numenor : 21st Mar 2005 at 2:51 PM.
PATZI:

My stairs don't work like Brasstex ones; installing my stairs requires simply copying the package to the download folder, no additional step is to be performed!

Brasstex (that I heartly thank for having explained how *custom* stairs work) uses a completely different approach: his stairs are *additional* stairs, different from the Maxis ones.
On the contrary, my stairs are a *replacement* of the Maxis ones (a temporary and reversable replacement).

You haven't read carefully the Installation Instructions I've put in Post #1, have you?

Anyway, in case anyone was wondering, my stairs and Brasstex' ones can peacefully co-exist in the Build Mode catalog. Brasstex' stairs aren't recolourable because he cloned one of the original Maxis stairs, and none of them are recolourable.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 4:53 PM
Oh I understand, Numenor. I will recheck the first post to see if I've done something wrong. Darn I want those things!!!!!!!
Forum Resident
#58 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 9:56 PM
They work wonderful and wow nice job too... How can I color some too?
Forum Resident
#59 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
You're too kind, but Quaxi is to be credited for SimPE, I only help him in testing it

U are soo kool....I want to recolor these steps and others too if possible? I want golden nuggets too...lol.....

You should ask this to a Moderator or Administrator, I'm just a "simple" user... :D

Who is the admin? :howdy:

"This too shall pass, I shall walk and not become weary, I shall run and not faint, I shall mount up with wings like and eagle and fly."
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#60 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 11:13 PM
Angelsims, the instructions for create recolours are in the first post (they are quite simple).
The Admins are (in random order): Delphy, RGiles, Loverat and... OMG I'm sure I've forgotten someone... Probably they'll ban me for 999 years! :p
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 11:32 PM
What are you worried about, Numenor. You'll still be alive.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 1:09 AM
Default Holy Smokes you so rock!
Holy Smokes you so rock!

I have been trying for two weeks on this set of stairs. I got it cloned, recolored but I cant find it anywhere in build. But then it does have the group fffffffffff ad infinite associated to it so maybe that is my problem. I dunno, but now I can abandon this frustratingly time consuming endeavor and actually use YOURS to do some recolors! I, like everyone else, love the stairs because they are suspended, plus they are way cool for tree houses, except the metal/glass looks goofy when everything else is wood, which is the first color I going to make!!!

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 9:03 AM
NECTERE: You have tried for two weeks? LOL, I've been trying for three months! It's not a GroupID problem: I had to completely rebuild the internal file structure...

Please post your "wooden" recolours, I'm eager to download them!
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 7:02 PM
Can you make all the other one recolourable? I was waiting for this so long and I have to thank you so much, your make my day, no, my month! :D
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 7:15 PM
Numenor! I could kiss ya! I have been hoping that some genius would make these stairs (my fave) recolorable. Bless u! *HUGGGGGGGGGGGG*

-One happy B :D
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#66 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ililas
Can you make all the other one recolourable? I was waiting for this so long and I have to thank you so much, your make my day, no, my month! :D

It's a hard work converting a stair, even now that I've understood the method... I don't promise, but I'll try!

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Forum Resident
#67 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Angelsims, the instructions for create recolours are in the first post (they are quite simple).
The Admins are (in random order): Delphy, RGiles, Loverat and... OMG I'm sure I've forgotten someone... Probably they'll ban me for 999 years! :p

LOL Thank you!

"This too shall pass, I shall walk and not become weary, I shall run and not faint, I shall mount up with wings like and eagle and fly."
Forum Resident
#68 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 5:58 AM
It's easy to find out who they are:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showgroups.php
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 2:08 PM
Thank you so much Numenor to answer me, I really appreciate and I allready made some recolor with these littles stairs, you will see that very soon;-)

Another request. I know you work very hard and I really apprciate everything you done for all of us, I very much appreciate you (actually, your my hero;-)) I would like to know if recoloring the fence will be possible soon?

My favorite modular stair is the black iron one and the fence matching with.

If its possible, I would like to be able to recolor them.

Anyway, very big thank to you. You can't imagine how happy actually I am (big kiss to you)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#70 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 5:38 PM
ILILAS:
Oooops! I've read your suggestion too late... I've posted right now the recolourable "Wooden Stairs".
Maybe next time...

NECTERE:
Your recolour is wonderfully detailed; very nice! Please post it in the Recolours thread": I'm sure many other users want to download them! (When you have posted there, please remember to remove the attachment here).
Maybe you should use a similar texture for the Wooden Stairs, too: a cheap, worn wood for cheap stairs
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 6:22 PM Last edited by nectere : 25th Mar 2005 at 6:25 PM. Reason: cause Australian should begin with a capital A, yes I am anal
Numenor - Will do. I have made a couple more recolors since I posted that one, using a lot more detail and different wood types, also utilizing embossing etc for "nails" etc. I need to go into the balastrade files now and see if I cant match some of the standard balastrade wood textures so that my stairs can match them and my treehouse/whatever can have all matching wood textures. I have a boat load of really nice wood swatchs. I have done black palm and Australian gum so far....anyway. As a special note I am not working on rails for these stairs because I dont use rails on this type for my purposes, I suppose I should before I make a thread with recolors...hmmmm. Truth is though I havent even ventured into that part yet.

oh I like your recolored wooden deck stairs, now do I need to make a seperate thread for those recolors too if I have any recolors to share?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 7:24 PM
ILILAS:
Sorry, I forgot to answer to the last part of your post...
Unfortunately, I don't know how to recolour the fences. They are more similar to walls then to "objects", and so far I haven't studied them.

NECTERE:
I have already started a thread for the Recolours for the Wooden Stairs.
As for the Holy Smoke railings, if you don't wan't to spend much time on them, I suggest to simply recolour that small rectangle in the upper left corner of the texture with a colour compatible with the rest of the stairs (just to avoid to have a green railing with a blond wooden stair...).

Test Subject
#73 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 1:12 AM
Thank you, these are much appriciated!
Field Researcher
#74 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 5:54 AM
I'm having a problem with getting the colors to work using the design tool in the game. I can't get the second from the top step to change colors, nor can I get the railings to recolor. What am I doint wrong?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 6:58 AM
I don't know why, but the second top step is difficult to "click"...
I find useful trying to click it on his side: zoom on the step an rotate the camera to watch the side of the stairs.
Page 3 of 6