Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Mar 2009 at 4:37 AM
Default Advice Thread
A Place where you can give others advice and of course be given advice.

:num:

That emoticon is so cool!

Anyway I guess I will go first:

So my cousin's are planning on going to Six Flags this summer and they invited my sister and I. They sent us an email inviting us and my sister responded to it and I didn't respond yet at the time. So one of them (my cousins...let's call her cousin1) was like "Well Casey (my sister) I guess you're the only one going since you're the only one that responded but that's fine with me " I knew she was referring to me when she put it and you guy's do not know, she can be a real bitch sometimes and I'm so tired of her sarcasm, so I gave her a taste of her own medicine. And Cousin2 told me I was being an Asshole and we got into this whole argument that led me to eventually say I wasn't going on the trip anymore and for them no to talk to me again since I'm such an Asshole. My question is..do you think I was being an asshole? I honestly do not think I was and I don't feel any regret for saying what I said, her sarcasm and attitude period just make you want to throw a glass of water in her face.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Advertisement
#2 Old 26th Apr 2009 at 1:02 AM
No you were not being bitchy or an asshole. They have no right to call you that. They're mad because you came back at them so quickly and sharply. Yes you may have had an attitude in your statement. They might even be jealous of you. You never know. I would just ignore her, And if she sais anything mean to you again just say "Okay, or, thats great." Since you said no to the Six Flags thing, they probabaly thought "Oh well FINE THEN!" because they are being very immature in this situation. Just don't let people like that bug you. When they go to Six Flags, distract yourself the whole day. Hang with friends, go grab some starbucks, watch a movie. That way you are not moping around the house all day thinking about your cousins and their attitudes. Best of luck!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 26th Apr 2009 at 1:43 AM
You weren't doing anything wrong- if your cousins really wanted you to join them, they would have given you adequate time to respond to their invitation. They're the ones being assholes- it's highly rude to retract an invitation simply because the guest hasn't RSVP'ed yet. When you invite someone to do something with you, that's the risk you take, and I'm of the persuasion to say that you did nothing wrong- they were merely poor hosts who have made you out to be the bad guy.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Apr 2009 at 1:57 AM
Thanks sooo much girls, hmm...I haven't talked to them lately :hmm: I do feel like the whole situation was pretty childish. They don't have many friends because they push them all away and all they do is talk crap about people, I'm tired of dealing with people like that so I just choose to take a different route. Besides I have other things planned this Summer...in other words fuck them!

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
#5 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 2:22 AM
Good luck! And good choice, just ignore them
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Apr 2009 at 1:52 AM
I'm so stressed about college. Because I'm doing the higher-ed program when I'm a senior (taking college courses at a nearby school while still attending high school), I need to make a decision about where I'll go within a year. I know that I'm going to be an English literature/creative writing major, and I know that I want to be a book editor. I've got three places in mind- state university, state-funded university, and a private college close to home. I have no worries about getting in anywhere that I want to go- school counselors have been telling me for years that I'm prime material for at least a partial academic scholarship, and the automatic scholarships for my GPA guarantee me almost all of my tuition paid- but I'm stressed about leaving home. The private college is ten minutes from my house, so naturally my mother wants me to go there, but it's such a small school with such limited English courses that I just don't know.

Of course, then there's the debacle of going away. Part of me thinks that I could tough out dorm life for freshman year and then move to off-campus apartments, but I'm just not sure. My parents will pay for my entire college education, but I don't want to live away from home and be so wrapped up in school that I can't make any money and have to move back home when I graduate. I'm not a loner, but I do highly value my solitude, and that's what worries me about dorm life. I guess the point of all this is to ask your advice- surely there are people here on both sides of the fence who could illustrate their experience. If you went away, did you like it? Will even a quiet person like me be able to get along? If you stayed home, do you think it was a better decision than going away? I hate that I have to think about this right now and I feel pulled in both directions, but I want to make up my mind soon so that I can stop stressing about it.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
#7 Old 29th Apr 2009 at 4:31 PM
so, I fell out with this girl and like three of my friends turned on me coz I was apparently causing trouble.
now, she wont leave me alone. made a girl turn on me coz my mate, Lora, left a comment on my bebo regarding the girl and Lora said shes gonna give the girl some words as the girl called her a slut.

now, shes taken this and told a girl I said I was gonna beat the shit out of her on bebo with Lora.

did I hell and now people probably aint gonna speak to me, AGAIN. I know the girl who was told isnt :/
Field Researcher
#8 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
I'm so stressed about college. Because I'm doing the higher-ed program when I'm a senior (taking college courses at a nearby school while still attending high school), I need to make a decision about where I'll go within a year. I know that I'm going to be an English literature/creative writing major, and I know that I want to be a book editor. I've got three places in mind- state university, state-funded university, and a private college close to home. I have no worries about getting in anywhere that I want to go- school counselors have been telling me for years that I'm prime material for at least a partial academic scholarship, and the automatic scholarships for my GPA guarantee me almost all of my tuition paid- but I'm stressed about leaving home. The private college is ten minutes from my house, so naturally my mother wants me to go there, but it's such a small school with such limited English courses that I just don't know.

Of course, then there's the debacle of going away. Part of me thinks that I could tough out dorm life for freshman year and then move to off-campus apartments, but I'm just not sure. My parents will pay for my entire college education, but I don't want to live away from home and be so wrapped up in school that I can't make any money and have to move back home when I graduate. I'm not a loner, but I do highly value my solitude, and that's what worries me about dorm life. I guess the point of all this is to ask your advice- surely there are people here on both sides of the fence who could illustrate their experience. If you went away, did you like it? Will even a quiet person like me be able to get along? If you stayed home, do you think it was a better decision than going away? I hate that I have to think about this right now and I feel pulled in both directions, but I want to make up my mind soon so that I can stop stressing about it.

I can see that this would be a big decision. Why dont you start by thinking about what u want to do MOST. Then after that try to think if you would be able to handle it. I am sure if you moved away you would be able to handel getting a job and not having to move back home if you didnt want to. any thing is possibleif you put your mind to it.

I have never been to college but I have had the struggle of moving away from my family. It was hard and i didnt know anyone. But college is an experance to get to know people. To put yourself out there and make something of yourself. I think you can do it. Youll be able to make friends. It all depends on what you think will make you most happy and satisfied.
Inventor
#9 Old 1st May 2009 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid

*hugs* There is only one university in my state offering the course I did and only a handful in the country, so my mind was made up for me. I never dealt with dorm life, because I didn't think I could, and when I started uni I couldn't afford alternative accomodation in the city. I lived at home for my first three years of university and commuted (close to 3 hours of travelling each day) - I wouldn't advise it. I had a change of campus for my final two years. I moved out of home and rented a house with a friend, and it was the best thing I ever did. Is house-sharing an option? Have you any friends in the same situation? Do any of the colleges you are considering provide advice on alternative student accomodation?

As far as choosing a college - I'd imagine that yours have open days much as ours do where you can speak to graduates? Do you have any contacts yet who can provide advice, or can your school counselors put you in touch with anyone who works somewhere in that field?

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Scholar
#10 Old 3rd May 2009 at 3:49 PM
Perhaps a good idea might be to write down your three options of colleges: state, state-funded or private and set down the pros and cons of each of your choices. While you don't neccesarily have to decide upon the college with less cons and more pros, it may help your judgement a little bit better.

Along with that suggestion, I'd advise that while you take into consideration that your mam may want you to take the college closest to home - ultimately, it's where you're going to spend the next few years and if you think there's a chance you may not like it there, or may not like having to remain at home for that period of time then choosing one a little further afield may be a blessing in disguise. Naturally part of which college you decide upon would include whether or not they have suitable courses to suit you, and whether the college is merely passable, decent, wonderful or exceptional. Now you said that the place your mother would like you to go to has limited English courses - it sounds to me as though you wouldn't be happy with that, so the other two colleges may be better options for you.

I'd definitely agree with Longears' suggestion of seeing whether there's a house-sharing option for you, too. Alternate to that, if house-sharing isn't a possibility in your first year you could try dorm life, or if it's a possibility, college flats (at least in Scotland, they are run by the University and the rent is more affordable). And look for off-campus housing after a year - again a house-share would be a good idea after a year, as then there may be fresh people for your to throw that possibility to.