Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 10:09 AM
Default Ever wish magic was real?
I've been thinking about Disney's "The Sword in the Stone", in which it is a movie adaptation of a book chronicling King Arthur's development under the watchful eye of Merlin, the famed wizard.

When we first see him, Merlin originally lived in a cottage in the forest. Being that he was a wizard with precognition and chrono-spatial teleportation, he was fed up with the lack of technology in medieval England, had the ability to pack tons of books, tools and equipment by shrinking it to the scale small enough to fit in one carpetbag, turn Arthur and himself into various animals, demonstrated weather magic and turned himself into a living rocket with the ability to travel through time depending on where in time and space he wanted to be.

I also wish I could unleash elemental powers like in the Sailor Moon, Pokemon and Naruto metaseries. Of course, being that I live in Washington State, I should aim any fire powers away from trees and other flammable objects. I also should say "I will not be a electric generator, despite my hyperactivity" when there a blackout.

EDIT: Had to YouTube Schoolhouse Rock song "Electricity" Song...

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 10:10 AM
Only every second of my life.
Inventor
#3 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 11:10 AM
When I was a kid I used to believe in fairies and I was convinced I saw a one in the woods near my house. I'm still not sure what it was but I remember it looked amazing.
My friend and I, when we had sleep overs, would watch the shadows on the ceiling as they changed, and talk about fairies and other things like mermaids and unicorns and dragons...

My mum told me I was born a mermaid and some other kids were teasing me and I was like "Oh yeah, well I'm a mermaid!" and they laughed and stuff and obviously were like "no your not" and I was like "I am, my mum told me so!" it's so embarrassing to look back on now lol!

When I was in my early teens I was way into magic, I had a book and I would chant spells and stuff. None of my spells worked but rather than thinking "maybe it isn't real!" I just thought I wasn't strong enough yet and that I'd have to join a coven when I got older... I tried a love spell on some kid I liked at the time but I'm glad it didn't work, he turned out to be a real dick.
I still have one of the books, called "Earth Mother Magic" and it's got this CRAZY love spell in it for getting and ex back, where you're supposed to put a date fruit inside your vagina every night for a week while you sleep, then cut it up and put it in some food and invite him over for a dinner and serve it to him... I'm pretty sure that counts as some kind of sexual assault these days!!

Super Powers would also be AMAZING.
Scholar
#4 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 11:36 AM
Ever since I was a kid I've wished I was a dragon. God that would be so cool.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 1:04 PM
Yes and no. When I was young, yes. As I got older, it's not that I didn't believe in it, I hoped it wasn't accessible to everyone. There's bad people too .. I didn't want them unleashing god awful terrors to do their bidding. So while there were love spells etc., I also looked at it from the side of thrall spells and demons. And now, magic at this age is seeing Eve use her imagination, or walking around finding beauty in the world where you don't expect to see it.
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pizza
I spent a lot of my childhood believing magic was real - whenever I was allowed on the computer when I was little I'd be looking up magic recipes. I actually found a 'love spell' once in the form of a cake. I also used to make 'magic potions' in the garden. Did anyone ever watch Winx club as a child? I think that's what it was called. I used to go on a forum about it when I was younger and people always posted about how they had finally transformed and posted exercises on how to encourage your transformation. I always used to tell my mum that if you focus hard enough you'll transform into your own Winx identity. She was a really good sport about it actually and never told me it was false or anything! :lovestruc

Sword in the Stone is an awesome movie btw!

from pic you like fallout i see
Field Researcher
#7 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nymphetamine
Yes and no. When I was young, yes. As I got older, it's not that I didn't believe in it, I hoped it wasn't accessible to everyone. There's bad people too .. I didn't want them unleashing god awful terrors to do their bidding. So while there were love spells etc., I also looked at it from the side of thrall spells and demons. And now, magic at this age is seeing Eve use her imagination, or walking around finding beauty in the world where you don't expect to see it.

And there is a hell of alot of people I'd unleash terrors on given the chance...
Theorist
#8 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 10:05 PM
No, because if magic were "real" it wouldn't be magical. That's the problem with "supernatural" sorts of things. Once they have real world effects they're real world phenomena. They're measurable, you can apply the scientific method to them, they become less fun and more "you realize this would be just as mind-numbing in practice as any other sort of scientific progress, right?" If it were real it would have to obey natural laws, even if they didn't appear to. No something from nothing, and energy would have to go someplace and be stored somehow, and "powering yourself up with electricity" would likely involve a trip to the Emergency Room at the worst or setting your house on fire at the best.

On the other hand, I find it great that actual science lends itself to pursuing the fictionalized parts of our creative brains. There are practical reasons why flying around at night without lights at high speed on a broom would be an easy way to end up in the top of a tree with a broken spine, but science is diligent and sometimes strange. If it is ever possible to do such a thing whatsoever, I suspect that eventually someone will figure out a way to do it - even if it means ending up paralyzed from their high speed collision with a pine.
Instructor
#9 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 10:06 PM
No. Why would I?

Sims is all the magic I need.
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 10:28 PM
I wish that magic was real, all the time. When you're a bookish and you have a wild imagination like me, wishing and believing in things like that...it just happens.
Anyway, I'm an avid HP fan. How can I not believe it magic?!
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 10:51 PM
i used to believe in magic when i was younger
i don't actually think about magic any more because I have other thing on my mind
also i used to be a really big fan of the rainbow magic fairy books and i use to pretend that i was a magic fairy

have you read any if the rainbow magic fairy books?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 5:44 AM
Sure, and all the other "magic": guardian angles, miracles, fairies, ghosts, sprits, ETs, reincarnation, being able to talk to animals - and trees, and the wind. Maybe it's all a matter of CHOICE; one person's serious religion or absolute certainty is another's foolish fairy tails -- I want it all.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Instructor
#13 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 7:41 AM
I was a sucker for Harry Potter back then, so I wished magic was real with all my heart.
When The Order of the Phoenix book came out my sister sent it to me in a package with a letter, and the letter was like a Hogwarts letter! It had the wax seal, the logos and stuff, and the address also had something like "third door on the left" thing just like Harry's!
I totally thought it was real at first and I was beyond excited I was a bit disappointed obviously when I found out it was not actually from Hogwarts but my sister did a great job and effort which I really appreciate

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 7:55 AM
I do believe there are fairies, or at least, beings of a different spiritual order than humans which gave rise to stories about fairies.

(I am not sure whether there are angels but, if there are, then I'd consider them to be a species of fairy.)

Q. But aren't you sort of a scientist?
A. Yep. Lookit... I don't rely on the existence or non-existence of fairies, nor use them to prove or disprove anything else. However, should I ever encounter them, and particularly if I were to visit Ireland or Minneapolis, I would like to be psychologically prepared, so as to comport myself in a decent and appropriate manner.
Scholar
#15 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 8:35 AM
Depends how much mana spells cost and what the mana regen rate is like.

If I turned my neighbour into a packet of cigarettes for instance, I don't want to wait all day for my mana to come back.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 12:59 PM
If we can turn people into cigarettes, I'm screwed. The first morning Lee woke up without them, bye bye, Nymphy.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 4:14 PM
I'm guessing i will get a lot of dislikes for this comment
but i thought this would be the best place to post this

I have never watched Harry potter and i have never read any the books
is that bad?

i do want to watch the films but I've never got round to buying them
also i have been to the train station that was in the first film, it was packed with harry potter fans, they were all talking about harry potter and i'm sitting there thinking what on earth are they talking about.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nymphetamine
If we can turn people into cigarettes, I'm screwed. The first morning Lee woke up without them, bye bye, Nymphy.
You misunderstand -- it's Fenton that can do that, given sufficient mana. And he Likes You Just Fine the way you are, and -- more to the point -- he already has enough cigarettes. For instance, that pack that's shouting at his neighbour's kid to get in the f***ing bathtub, that one belongs to Fenton.

Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
I have never ... is that bad?

There's not actually a rule saying you have to. Common misconception.

You might want to borrow the first book to read when no one's looking. That's the one that started all the buzz. If you only do one or the other, the book is more fun than the film, because it's not as rushed, so you get more of the language and tone of it. The film sort of only makes sense if you know the book.
Scholar
#19 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 8:25 PM
Even though magic would cause a lot of mayhem, it's still really awesome! I love all kinds of it too--faeries, wizards, shadowhunters...in the book I'm (attempting to) write, there are 100 different elemental specializations that fall under categories of wind, water, earth, fire, light spirit, neutral spirit, and dark spirit. I'm probably biased, but I think it'd be pretty cool. I love fantasy novels in general though. And a part of me thinks that maybe some of the creatures could be real, at least theoretically. I just like to entertain the idea sometimes for fun.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 9:06 PM
@pizza

LOL
I'm guessing that was the look on your face when you read my comment, i'm not surprised
are you a harry potter fan?
Scholar
#21 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 9:19 PM
I love Harry Potter. So much. So. Freaking. Much.
Theorist
#22 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
I have never watched Harry potter and i have never read any the books
is that bad?

Eh, I've seen the movies because my daughter's at the age to have wanted to have me take her to go see them, but no matter how many times I've tried I couldn't get much further into the first book that the first thirty-fifty pages or so. Conversely, I've read most of The Game of Thrones, but since I read it all long before the television came out I really can't get into the HBO thing.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 10:12 PM
Only if I could get a tyrannosaurus rex that would eat only evil people like murderers, rapists, molesters and those guys who impersonate Nigerian royalty.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 10:52 PM
I am a skeptic, but have read everything by Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, and they make as much sense as real life..

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#25 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 11:30 PM
Oh and the tyrannosaurus should also eat animal abusers like Kenny Glenn and that dude that injured a cat by throwing him against the wall.

Page 1 of 2