Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2021 at 2:34 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default "A serious error has occurred while loading ‘Sunset Valley.world’..."
After some months of not playing Sims 3, I decided to start playing again. I downloaded some new mods to install to the game.

When I opened up the game and tried to start a new game in a world I got this error:
"A serious error has occurred while loading ‘Sunset Valley.world’. It is strongly recommended that you restart the application"

Of course I thought it was some of the new mods making trouble. So I moved all the mods out of the folder, with the plan of opening the game with first only one mod, then two and so on in search of the one(s) that were causing problems. However even without any mods I still got the same error. Both when trying to open an earlier save file and starting a new one.

I then decided to try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it. After I opened up the new-installed game, and started a new game without any problems. I closed down the game and installed my store world, venues and premium content from the Sims 3 store. After that I decided to open up the game again before installing any mods, just to be sure there weren't any problems. BUT I got the same error again!

I then googled the problem and tried following the instructions from https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?titl...or_Has_Occurred. I tried both options, but still got the error when trying to open a game. Unfortunately it seems that the last option from the article is no longer possible, at least I can’t seem to find a way to download the program they are mentioning.

I then found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeEQ3MPiXFQ, though it looks like they are talking about a different problem, I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try out their solution anyway. So I followed all the steps they go through in the video and reinstalled the game yet again.
I reinstalled the game and immediately opened it and was able to start a new game without any problems (just like the first time I reinstalled the game).
I quit the game and then immediately opened the game again (without doing anything else in between). And the error occurred again! I was not able to start a new game.

I then found this post (https://modthesims.info/showthread....5&cb=1640005298) about a person also getting the same error message. I changed my settings so Google Drive no longer sync the Documents folder (or in fact any other folders from my PC), rebooted the computer, checked that no sync’ing was happening. And I still get the error message.

I've also tried again to uninstall and reinstall the game again, where the same thing happened as last time: First time I open the game, I have no problem starting a new game (I save the game). Close down the game. Start it up again, and get the error both when trying to open the saved game and starting a new one again.

I really do not understand what is happening or what is causing my computer to have this problem with the game.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Dec 2021 at 3:04 PM
Aside from Google Drive, Microsoft’s own OneDrive also automatically syncs documents. Is that enabled?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Dec 2021 at 3:19 PM
It didn't look like it was enabled, but I just unintalled it since I don't use OneDrive anyway. I've also uninstalled Dropbox earlier since I don't use that either. So I just rebooted the computer, and opened the game, but I still get the error.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 3:12 PM
Yes, it happens to all worlds
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 6:26 PM
I seem to have found the problem!! At least I have now been able to open a game multiple times in a row.
I found a old post from 2012 where a player found out their McAfee was running scans realtime. And that was my problem too it seems
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 7:10 PM
The usual underlying cause of the Serious Error Has Occurred condition is that one or more of the ingredients of the TS3 user game folder in Documents is locked and not usable by the TS3 game program when it is called upon. Determining whether that lock is caused by user error (having the folders open in Windows explorer can do it; the macOS Finder windows at least do not do this), anti-virus, automatic sync routines like DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc, file corruption, lack of free drive space, or something else is the "fun" part as this entire thread demonstrates.