Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#101 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 11:03 AM
There's a thing one cannot absolutely miss if it's gone, it's the annoying and always unexpected "Fatal error" that crashed your game when you needed it the least ("Damn no, I forgot to save !"). Once, it even ruined one of my families, the error occured while I was playing with the latter but when I wanted to enter the house later on, I inevitably got this error. Anyway, very tedious thing, and it's an understatement. Furthermore, I guess the disappearance of the loading screen is a big step towards a better gameplay (yeah, my computer had a lot of trouble loading this awful lot of CC I posessed).

Desire is irrelevant ... I am ... a machine !
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 11:20 AM
I don't miss the loading screens at all. I hated that in The Sims 2, they popped up every 2 seconds.

The whole 'what's this?' thing. That was really annoying. Sometimes I get sims checking out items in there new house though, but it's rare and they don't do it all the time. Or that 'OMG SUN/RAIN/SNOW'. That sucked.

I don't miss the University thing. I only bought the University EP for the young adults and items, I've never really sent a sim to uni. Well, I have, but then I just left them there.

Or the water fights/pillow fights. One of my families always play tag, though, but at least not everyone does it randomly.

I do miss the weather though. I think this game would be even more beautiful with it, but I dread if they add it to an EP 'cause it'll slow my laptop riiiight down.
Theorist
#103 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gonebynow
I don't miss the loading screens at all. I hated that in The Sims 2, they popped up every 2 seconds. :P

Yeah! Sadly in my game the community lots still load for ages (not enough RAM), and I have to avoid going to community lots unless it's absolutely necessary, just like in Sims 2.

And to make it worse, I have to put my sims into distant places to live, otherwise my PC starts to process houses around and driving cars, making it almost impossible to play *cries* No such things happened in Sims 2, once something got loaded no stuttering or freezing ever happened, but Sims 3 is different... I'm jealous of your super-PCs, girls!
Scholar
Original Poster
#104 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 3:00 PM
"What's this?" OMG I forgot about that. Once I put lamps on every single fencepost outside and one of my sims did a "What's this?" for EVERY SINGLE ONE! She hated the lights, so she would look at one, "Boooooo!" take a few steps and look at the next one.."Boooo!" -- OK That was actually kind of funny the first 5 or 6 times.
Lab Assistant
#105 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 3:48 PM
Why would anyone not delete the "what's this?" action is beyond me :\ I guess different people play the game very differently ^_^
Scholar
Original Poster
#106 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 4:48 PM
Oh I stopped it.. I just sometimes let them do their own thing for kicks and giggles. I DID stop "what's this" after #5 or so. She kept generating a "what's this?" (probably for each individual light, not the same one..) and I had to keep stomping it over and over until she settled down.

After that, I discovered MATY for the first time when I googled "no what's this?" and "Sims 2"
Test Subject
#107 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Oprah
Making friends to get promotion, that was plain stupid. How exactly would befriending neighbour's toddler help me to become a criminal mastermind?

It struck me as a really ham-fisted way of simulating using connections to get you promoted, even though the friends requirement had nothing to do with the sort of connections people use to rise through ranks in real life (relationships with powerful people that have influence in their profession), and applied to professions where connections would be rather unimportant. You'd need a lot of friends in high places to become a prominent politician, while becoming a surgeon more involves a steady hand, a sharp mind, extreme dedication, and the ability to live without much sleep. When you're working 80 hour weeks as an aspiring physician in real life, you won't have time to make lots of friends because your life will basically be nothing but nonstop work for years before you finally finish your training. That, my friends, is why your doctor drives a Porsche. Because only a madman would take the job for less money.
Scholar
#108 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 10:46 AM
- Loading screens/Forced Videos (giving birth, alien abduction return)
- "It's (insert weather here) !"
- Having 80% of my custom content be recolors
- Stupid social bunny
- Annoying zoom in every time a sim entered a new pregnancy stage
- Insufferable autonomous actions like kicky bag, water balloon and pillow fights
- Lazy kids wouldn't do homework unless I forced them to
- Not being able to fight and apprehend burglars (What? I can't defend my own home??)
- Aspiration failure and the sims start acting like it's visitors day at the Sunny Fields Nut House
- Being able to do absolutely NOTHING while a sim is at work. Now we can make new friends or hang out in the supply closet!
- Having random sims come over and use my stuff just because I have a business on the home lot (We're closed, dammit!)
- Loading screens
- Voodoo doll backfire
- Random jackasses coming over and stealing my newspaper and knocking over my trashcan
- Skunks doing the same thing
- Dogs digging up my yard.. in the same place.. every.. freaking.. night
- Absurd, often whorish, aspirations... I want to sleep with 50 DIFFERENT sims! WTFSLUT? There seemed to be no limit on this, I had a sim whose lifetime want was like 5 kids or something, so we got that, then she wanted 10, then is was 15, I stopped at 15, it was getting kinda ridiculous.
- Stupid toddlers making a mad dash for the toilet (of all places) every time I turned my back on them. Somebody should have created a spike that we could stick them on so they stayed still... or at least a leash.
- Freaking penguins pissing on my sidewalk. I love penguins. When I first saw it, I was like, "NO WAAAAY, PENGGGUIIINNNN!!!!" Then it stopped, squatted a bit, and a puddle formed. Then I was like, "This is some bull#^@, that penguin better clean that up."
- Vampires going, "BLEH!" every 5 seconds, no vampire does that, silly maxis.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Inventor
#109 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 11:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Woolie Wool
It struck me as a really ham-fisted way of simulating using connections to get you promoted, even though the friends requirement had nothing to do with the sort of connections people use to rise through ranks in real life (relationships with powerful people that have influence in their profession), and applied to professions where connections would be rather unimportant. You'd need a lot of friends in high places to become a prominent politician, while becoming a surgeon more involves a steady hand, a sharp mind, extreme dedication, and the ability to live without much sleep. When you're working 80 hour weeks as an aspiring physician in real life, you won't have time to make lots of friends because your life will basically be nothing but nonstop work for years before you finally finish your training. That, my friends, is why your doctor drives a Porsche. Because only a madman would take the job for less money.

Hang on... I thought all doctors did was play golf? :D

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Scholar
#110 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 12:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
Hang on... I thought all doctors did was play golf? :D

And leave sponges in you during surgery.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Test Subject
#111 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gangreless
- Vampires going, "BLEH!" every 5 seconds, no vampire does that, silly maxis.

It's a Muppets reference. The Muppet Show had a vampire that went "bleh!"

I hated the whole aspiration system in The Sims 2. It railroaded you into a more or less fixed life for each sim, punishing you if you dared contradict the Wants bar. If the ideal Sims game makes you feel like God, TS2 made you feel like a baby sitter.
Test Subject
#112 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 5:43 PM
Gangreless- Annoying zoom in every time a sim entered a new pregnancy stage

I had forgotten about that. I also didn't like that the female sim would look down at her tummy with a surprised expression every time it got bigger. The morning sickness, belly swelling, and "starving, wetting yourself, then passing out cycle" were apparently not enough of a hint that hey you might be pregnant. I wouldn't have been completely surprised if they found the baby in their arms, gave it a "wtf is this?" look and then tried to use it as a hammer or guitar.
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 6:02 PM
Let's see... I don't miss:
-Aspirations (as in having to choose between popularity, knowledge, romance etc) I love the trait system...
-Loading screens
-And yes, finding the homework was annoying
-Finding, installing and sorting through tons of recolours
-how aspiration rewards were useless...

I would agree with the repetitive actions/obsessions but I had mods to stop/fix most of them.
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 9:28 PM
I do not miss the non-ability to beat the crap out of burglars. Last night, my Sim handed the burglar's butt to him on a plate. It was most satisfying.

Naked babies. Unless it's really warm, you do not leave your infant naked. I'll take the pupa over TS2's babies any day.

The Wingdings-and-Zodiac "Simlish" writing. It looked horrible.
Mad Poster
#115 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 12:33 AM
- Freaking penguins pissing on my sidewalk. I love penguins. When I first saw it, I was like, "NO WAAAAY, PENGGGUIIINNNN!!!!" Then it stopped, squatted a bit, and a puddle formed. Then I was like, "This is some bull#^@, that penguin better clean that up."

LMFAO. Ohh my Godddd! I think I would've died laughing if that happened to me XD.

I completely agree with you about the "It's (insert weather here) !", that did my fucking head in, especially if I had a big household, and had to stop everyone from crowding around the nearest window like '8D!! OMFGSNOW' x_x
Alchemist
#116 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:27 AM
I don't miss that when your sims break up, they don't automatically leave. Although i wish the partner, after divorcing them, had the option to kick them out :P

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Field Researcher
#117 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:04 AM
I know, it sucks that you can't kick them out. They have to "move out" that is so not true. Just cause their adults doesn't mean that they can't be bossed aroung by other adults! lol
Scholar
Original Poster
#118 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 9:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Woolie Wool
It's a Muppets reference. The Muppet Show had a vampire that went "bleh!".

Actually, it's older than that. The muppets were imitating an actor called Bella Lugosi who became the goofy vampire stereotype because -- he played Dracula in TONS of movies.

1. He had a REALLY THICK Eastern European accent (he was Hungarian and really truely was from Transylvania) and was hard to understand. He also had a really sing songy way of talking so everything he said sounded like "bleh-buh BLEAH!"

2. The reason you see goofy vampires cover their faces with a cape is this - Bella Lugosi died while his movie was being filmed (Plan 9 From Outer Space -- so classically bad its GREAT). They replaced him with a guy who looked NOTHING like Lugosi. He was also much taller. The replacement actor hid his face behind a cape and crouched while walking around. He couldn't do the accent do he just kind of growled and threw out "Bleh!" a few times.

Sorry to go on about it -- but it's just one of the craziest moments of B-movie history and I'm sort of a B movie fan. To hear the classic vampire schtick being credited to the Count from Sesame Street or Count Chocola just breaks my heart a little.

If you cant bring yourself to watch the original movies, watch Ed Wood -- which was about the guy who directed most of the classically camp monster movies.
Scholar
#119 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladyhawke976
I got the desk claimer hack - it's great. The sim kids come home and put their homework on the desk that they claimed, doing it there like the college kids do. It's awesome.

Where did you get the desk claimer hack...is it here on MTS? That's one thing that drove me nuts...playing hide and seek with the homework. The kids would just put it down in the stupidest places, and if you had more than one kid in the house...well, let's just say I don't miss the headaches I got from beating my head against my computer. But because I'm still wanting to play TS2, I'm really interested in that desk claimer hack!

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Forum Resident
#120 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Syera
I do not miss the non-ability to beat the crap out of burglars. Last night, my Sim handed the burglar's butt to him on a plate. It was most satisfying.

Oh, that does sound satisfying. I also had every home in TS2--even houses that were supposed to be utter hovels--equipped with a burglar alarm for the fear of being caught in this loop: "There's a BURGLAR! AAAH! I must call the police quickly! But there's a BURGLAR! AAAH!" Same thing with fire.

I also can't believe nobody mentioned this yet (or maybe they did and I missed it):

"Ah, I'm relaxing in bed. This is most pleasant, but now I am tired. I should go to sleep, but there is no conceivable way to do so from my current position (ON THE BED), so now I must get up, pull down the covers, and get back into bed."

Yeah. That irked the blue liquid outta me. >_>
Scholar
#121 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 6:36 AM
I don't miss the maid coming over and cleaning the fish tank for 8 hours, then leaving you with a filthy house and charging you for it.

Four friggin' years and they couldn't fix that!
#122 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 6:39 AM
Loading screens and loading times.

Also sims not being able to visit their friends,neighbors and lovers houses.
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shadohart
Wait, that never happened to you irl? :P

I don't think I ever put out enough to get a hot tub.

If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.
Top Secret Researcher
#124 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 7:09 AM
- Random jackasses coming over and stealing my newspaper and knocking over my trashcan.

This reminds me of something that happened to me in TS2.

My sim Ashley went to kiss her husband Thom at their son's, Jeremy, birthday. Apparently, her high school friendship with her sister-in-law Naomi had turned into a secret love. Not only did Naomi come and slap Ashley, Thom did too and fell out of love with her. It even broke her friendship with her son! What gets me is that she had no memory of ever falling in love with her but she got the Caught Cheating memory! So until Ashley and Thom died of old age, Naomi would kick down their trash can, steal their newspaper, or walk by their house and stand there EVERY SINGLE DAY. She even started roaming outside Jeremy's apartment after he'd moved out and was married with 3 kids. I had to kill the psychotic hag in order to make her stop.
Lab Assistant
#125 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 8:07 AM
Crap I don't miss:

"Why aren't we friends!?" DUR HUR CAUSE YOU SPAM ME YOU CRAPSPACKLE!

That penguin the size on an obese midget coming in my house pissing on the floor and trying to eat the wall mounted fish.

Dogs digging up my yard like an excavation site.

Weeds growing after every non-rain related puddle that dried in the yard.

Flowers that die if you don't water them every 3 seconds. Then when they did die sometimes my Sim couldn't get to them to depose of them.

Random invaders that are all like "HUFF DE DO DAH YOU'RE ADDICTED TO THIS ACTIVITY LIKE A NUTJOB! LET ME INVITE YOU TO THE LOT TO MEET OTHER NUTJOBS! OH AND THE LOT IS FRACKIN USELESS!" and waking my seems at 3Am. WTF IS THIS CRAP!? -rages-

Though it was funny with the chef one cause she randomly got bit and was a vampire.
You'd think she gave your Sim a bomb when she ran from the sun.

Lightning striking my trees all the time. STOP THAT!

Trees catching fire from burning leaves. Is there gas on those tress??

Eh probably more but that's all I can think of.
Page 5 of 12