Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#1626 Old 22nd Dec 2012 at 4:49 PM
There are state universities that do not offer graduate degrees that are still referred to as universities so really, I think the two are now interchangeable although that might have been different once upon a time. In the US, public colleges started mostly as teaching colleges and later expanded. Now you see separate departments referred to as colleges within the University, such as the College of Liberal Arts, or the College of Sciences, both possible entities in a larger university system.

We do have two year colleges, also called Junior colleges or Community colleges that offer a program that transfers to a 4 year college or University. I suspect those are similar to European colleges as they offer tech programs as well as transfer programs.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#1627 Old 23rd Dec 2012 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
That's something else I don't understand; why do they call it University when I have only ever heard Americans refer to it as college? Even in TS2 University, once you were in game all of the text referred to "college" not university. In the UK they are two completely different things; you go to college first and then can choose to carry on into university.

We tend to use the terms interchangeably; however, in the U.S. a college is either an independent post-secondary institution that does not grant post-graduate degrees, or it is a school within a larger institution (university) and then may grant post-graduate degrees. State university systems, especially those in smaller states, often will have campuses that do not grant post-graduate degrees but are still called universities.
Test Subject
#1628 Old 31st Dec 2012 at 12:03 AM
Apartments, Yo!
seeing as though building bulding in the sims 3 i what i like to do most, i would love to see an expansion with apartments. and i dont mean like nightlife penthouses i mean like the Sims 2 Apartment life where you have neighbors who actually live there, and can customise and build your own idea of the perfect apartment maybe with new jobs that go along with living in an apartment like landlord or elevator repair - something along the lines of that.
also a stuff pack that is strickly just clothes and hairstyles would be kind of cool
Theorist
#1629 Old 31st Dec 2012 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
That's something else I don't understand; why do they call it University when I have only ever heard Americans refer to it as college? Even in TS2 University, once you were in game all of the text referred to "college" not university. In the UK they are two completely different things; you go to college first and then can choose to carry on into university.

I've gone to college/university both in the US and in Canada and I use the both terms - depending on where I am. I use college in the US and university in Canada. In Canada going to college usually means community college where they offer 2 year degrees and university usually offers 4 year degrees.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#1630 Old 1st Jan 2013 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Port_A_Build
High Class Coupons, something Mansion Sims can give to Residential Sims to allow them Mansion Sim privilages for a day. Increased chance of Rioters, Assassins can attack the Coupon holder, and high bills will come on the next bill day.

I'm not really seeing any up-side to obtaining a High Class Coupon. It seems more like something to avoid. Assassins are also something I certainly wouldn't ever want in my game. There are enough random deaths as it is.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Forum Resident
#1631 Old 2nd Jan 2013 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Port_A_Build
Rioters, a type of NPC that randomly goes to Mansion lots. They would mostly stand outside, furious at the residents and would fight any resident that leaves, throw things at resident Sims visible in the windows, and lower the motives of Sims on the lot. They come with a bad moodlet and memory. They leave at night, if police are called, or if a security guard is present.

Yeah, because we don't have enough class warfare going on in the real world...

Thanks, but no.
Theorist
#1632 Old 2nd Jan 2013 at 4:54 PM
I stopped reading "Port_A_Build"..

But seriously that is nothing like what TS2's was about..It was about architecture not about a virtual Mitt Romney system.
Forum Resident
#1633 Old 2nd Jan 2013 at 5:06 PM
and why should sims with more money than god be given perks for living on a lot the screams "look at me!! i am waiting to be robbed!!"
Field Researcher
#1634 Old 3rd Jan 2013 at 5:43 PM Last edited by gege_sml : 4th Jan 2013 at 5:16 PM.
I really hope the 10th EP is going to be the business one, just so we can get restaurants back ! At this point I think it's quite unforgiveable that they haven't added it yet...I know they're trying to make it up with some Store items but it can be really weird sometimes.. The sushi grill for instance, is one of the best items ever IMO but it's really dumb that you don't have a NCP attached.. you just create this fancy Sushi Bar, make your sims go there on a date and guess what? They have to cook the food themselves

sorry if I sound whiny =P I just really miss real restaurants
Field Researcher
#1635 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 7:42 PM
Don't see it happen in future expansions and updates [maybe in Sims 4], but I really really REALLY need some kind of Search bar in buy/build mode. I keep losing myself in tons of content [all EP-s, SP-s, Store and CC], scrolling up and down, not being able to find the item I'm looking for. Especially in Misc Decor. Collections are great, but I would like some kind of ingame search tool, something where I could type a name, or a part of items name, and get a result of maybe 1-10 items which match the search.

I think this is main feature I want right now. In this age of electronic organisation, I can't stand not being able to find something. Even when I lose my keys or a pair of socks or whatever, I find myself thinking of one nice, comfy and non-existing RL ctrl+F button.
Test Subject
#1636 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 7:45 PM
Today with the announcement of the three expansion packs for 2013, University Life, Relax in Paradise, and Travel to the Future, I think EA killed this thread
Instructor
#1637 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 7:50 PM
We can still discuss what features we think each expansion pack will include. For instance, I hope there's new fish collectibles like rays, crabs and seahorses in the island pack.
Field Researcher
#1638 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 9:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babasonicof
Today with the announcement of the three expansion packs for 2013, University Life, Relax in Paradise, and Travel to the Future, I think EA killed this thread

And I'm soooo very disappointed they didn't say anything about possible business EP.
Mad Poster
#1639 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 10:18 PM
Paradise is the "business" EP, you can run a resport.

The Only thing EA needs to add is the ability to sell "whatever" to other Sims. They, still, haven't gotten that part yet. -_-

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#1640 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 10:37 PM
Frankie called the University and Paradise EP!
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
And who knows? With this new EP trend, maybe Pets 2.0 will be released with a true farm life and barn animals. Generations 2.0 will be released with universities and a preteen life stage. World Adventures 2.0 will be released with weather and proper vacationing. And so forth.
Welcome to TS3, where rehashed expansions occur in the same base game.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Lab Assistant
#1641 Old 23rd Jan 2013 at 7:09 AM
Open for Business was my favorite EP as well. There was so much fun, challenge and diversity of gameplay in it, that it was like a game within a game rather a minigame.

Though I do have to say houseboats in Island Paradise sound pretty epic. My uber rich Sims will hopefully be building giant yachts...
Top Secret Researcher
#1642 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 2:05 PM
Whatever happened to the slacker career? It would have been perfect, the top slot could be "realityshow star" and your sims could go away for days at a time to do filming

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Test Subject
#1643 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 12:53 AM
Honestly, all I want is to be able to have non playable roommates in my house or apartment. That's something I really miss while playing Sims 3.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#1644 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by imaginezzenigami
Honestly, all I want is to be able to have non playable roommates in my house or apartment. That's something I really miss while playing Sims 3.
You already can. Use testingcheats, hold shift and click the sim, and make them Unselectable.
Test Subject
#1645 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
You already can. Use testingcheats, hold shift and click the sim, and make them Unselectable.

I've never had an option to make a sim 'unselectable' while tCE is on. I guess I'll check and see if it's just my game doing something odd.
Test Subject
#1646 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 1:14 AM

Also, wouldn't doing that make them leave the house...?
#1647 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by imaginezzenigami
Also, wouldn't doing that make them leave the house...?
You have to hold shift (or possibly ctrl+shift, can't remember) for it to appear as an option. and no, it doesn't make them leave your household. They still have a portrait, all the tabs, etc and still count as a full member of the household, you just can't click on them and control their actions (give them high free will first). Several challenges, like the Insane Asylum challenge, use this to make things more dynamic and interesting.
Test Subject
#1648 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 5:05 PM
You have to hold shift (or possibly ctrl+shift, can't remember) for it to appear as an option. and no, it doesn't make them leave your household. They still have a portrait, all the tabs, etc and still count as a full member of the household, you just can't click on them and control their actions (give them high free will first). Several challenges, like the Insane Asylum challenge, use this to make things more dynamic and interesting.

Like I previously said, I've never had the option before (which I kinda thought got across clearly that I was holding the appropriate keys down...how else would you use tCE...).
Thanks.
#1649 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 11:49 PM
When answering questions about sims, I never assume anything anymore. It was quite possible that you weren't holding the appropriate keys down. Unless it's specified, we have no idea what you are doing for sure. Your welcome.
Test Subject
#1650 Old 12th Feb 2013 at 2:25 PM
When answering questions about sims, I never assume anything anymore. It was quite possible that you weren't holding the appropriate keys down. Unless it's specified, we have no idea what you are doing for sure. Your welcome.

Ah, you do have a point there. I think AM might give the option to make sims unselectable, but I don't use awesomemod anymore so perhaps if you're using it that's why you have the option.

What I really want is more of a TS2 Apartment Life renting kind of thing where I'd have options to search by phone or put an ad in the newspaper for what kind of roommate I want (traits, gender, age, pet/no pet, etc.) and then they'll pay my sim accordingly to live there.

I mean, I can use nraas's MC to have npc like roommates, but it's just not the same thing.

Thanks for trying to help, though. Appreciated.
Locked thread | Locked by: leefish Reason: no more EPS :(
Page 66 of 67