Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 2:09 AM
Default is it just me or does TS3 suck compared to TS2??
my computer doesn't have a lot of ram so i deleted all my sims 2 expansion packs and stuff in expecting ts3 to be amazing. well...it's not all that amazing. should i regret even buying ts3??
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 2:15 AM
No, you shouldn't. You forget that you have years' worth of expansion packs and custom content with TS2. It'll come for TS3. Just get used to it.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 2:22 AM
Give it some time, a couple EPs, some CC, things will be good.
Test Subject
#4 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HelloClarice
No, you shouldn't. You forget that you have years' worth of expansion packs and custom content with TS2. It'll come for TS3. Just get used to it.

Yeah, exactly.

When you think about it, there's a lot more to the Sims 3 base game in comparison to the Sims 2. For now you might not enjoy TS3 as much as TS2, which is completely understandable, but that's something that could easily change with a few expansions.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 3:14 AM
Yeah...it's you...because the game is great...much better than the Sims 2...you have to remember the base game with no expansions and no custom content...even with custom content...Sims 3 knocks Sims 2 out of the box!!

"Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart." - William Butler Yeats
Alchemist
#6 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by usafjulz
my computer doesn't have a lot of ram so i deleted all my sims 2 expansion packs and stuff in expecting ts3 to be amazing. well...it's not all that amazing. should i regret even buying ts3??

It's just you
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 3:41 AM
Perhaps the thing is that TS3 should not -need- expansions or custom content to make the game very enjoyable? Granted, I enjoy playing it for a little while unlike in TS2 where I could play for hours on end and not even realize that time had escaped me!

- D.a.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 4:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SoCalSimz
Perhaps the thing is that TS3 should not -need- expansions or custom content to make the game very enjoyable? Granted, I enjoy playing it for a little while unlike in TS2 where I could play for hours on end and not even realize that time had escaped me!

I notice you have all the TS2 expacks. Not to be rude, but when was the last time you played base game TS2 for hours on end?

If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#9 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 4:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by acidsugar
Yeah...it's you...because the game is great...much better than the Sims 2...you have to remember the base game with no expansions and no custom content...even with custom content...Sims 3 knocks Sims 2 out of the box!!
Yes, but that's not really a meaningful argument. TS3 is a SEQUEL to TS2, and really should contain everything good from TS2. It is massively stupid to create a sequel to a game that fails to have even what the original had, but massively suck products is what you should have learned to expect from EAxis.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 4:22 AM
Many features were left out of TS3 - probably for marketing reasons.

If I was in charge of the development of TS3, I would release just the features needed to make the game get good reviews and sales, and entertain the players for six month. All other features would be saved for expansion packs. Especially each feature which by itself would sell an expansion pack - such as nightlife, pets or seasons.

And it seems like EA has done just this.

The whole gaming market moves in this direction - thin base games, and lots of EPs.

TS1 had seven EPs. TS2 had eight EPs and ten stuff packs. TS3 will probably have even more.

Also, compare the scope of the TS1 and the TS2 expansions. Livin' Large and House Party were more like stuff packs.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 4:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Yes, but that's not really a meaningful argument. TS3 is a SEQUEL to TS2, and really should contain everything good from TS2. It is massively stupid to create a sequel to a game that fails to have even what the original had, but massively suck products is what you should have learned to expect from EAxis.

I can get on board with this (herpderp building mode being the biggest offender), but then you have to think of what Sims 3 base game has that came out of Sims 2 expacks. Right now, we basically have Seasons sans weather and nobody flares up the Social Worker Signal the second your kids get a little chilly. We have cars. We have collecting expanded from the FT idea. The list doesn't really go on, but just those alone put it head and shoulders above base game TS2.

I think TS2 was just such a huge jump in terms of graphics and capabilities from TS1 that the stuff that was missing out of TS1 wasn't exactly missed. TS3 wasn't as big of a leap, so the holes feel a little bigger. They had some genuinely great ideas, but botched the execution pretty spectacularly. If they hadn't, it makes me wonder if we'd be seeing so many of these discussions, or if people complain about TS3 purely because it isn't TS2.

Scholar
#12 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 5:06 AM
I honestly missed many things from TS1 when TS2 came out, but I still had (have) TS1, and to be honest, I was so blown away by the CAS in TS2, it didn't matter. TS3 has many elements of TS1 and TS2 thrown in together...kinda weird, but it grows on you. IMHO, it's very similar to Sims 2, it just has some different features when it comes to creating and playing your sims. I uninstalled my Sims 2 and reinstalled just the base game. It was kind of boring after all of my EPs and CC were gone. That's how "spoiled" I am! Give the game some time. There will be an EP out before you know it.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sarasvati
I notice you have all the TS2 expacks. Not to be rude, but when was the last time you played base game TS2 for hours on end?

No rudeness taken. The last time I played base of TS2 for hours on end was before the first expansion came out, but after the final TS1 expansion. I knew what was in TS1+expansions Vs. TS2 base and I still played it for hours at a time until University was released... and then things went down hill and I became a Simaddict. I do not have to have played TS2 recently to remember how great the base gameplay was as opposed to the base game play of TS3.

TS2 was so new and invigorating. So many things were amazing about the base game that we never had as an offer of TS1 while taking some of the very best from it as well. As a new generation of TS franchise, the base TS3 should be held to the same standards or much higher in my opinion. That is unless TS2 will be the end of the The Sims Golden Age.

- D.a.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 5:31 AM
We might not remember how lame the TS2 base game was before the expansions.

Without cars and walking between lots, you were forced to call a cab to get to the store.
Without seasons, fireflies, butterflies or growing crops, the lots were sterile.
Without downtown, hobby lots and resorts, Sims had almost nowhere to go after work.

TS3 does not offer all of this, but most of it.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 5:39 AM

I'd like to see them cram everything good (a lot) from 8 EPs + 10 SPs + all the Store items into one game and make it possible to run on someone's computer.

I enjoy playing TS3 with the limited CC and no EPs we have. I think what happened is that everyone got hyped up and expected TS3 to be the game de Ciel. And, we're used to having CC that created our personalized game that some are severely underwhelmed by the limited base game we have. Have patience. Wowzing CC and, hopefully, EPs will come.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 5:48 AM
Quote:
TS2 was so new and invigorating. So many things were amazing about the base game that we never had as an offer of TS1 while taking some of the very best from it as well. As a new generation of TS franchise, the base TS3 should be held to the same standards or much higher in my opinion. That is unless TS2 will be the end of the The Sims Golden Age.

The thing is, while there's always room for innovation, I simply don't think Sims 3 could've made as gigantic a leap from TS2 as TS2 did from TS1. We went from ugly little pixel dolls with preset faces and outfits to being able to customize just about every single facet of our sims. What could Sims 3 have possibly done to mirror that same leap? A CAS where we can shape anything we wanted down to the little bones in the ear? Okay, say we had gotten that. Where could Sims 4 have gone from there?

We got a seamless neighborhood and no loading times, something people were dying for having complained endlessly about loading times in TS2. That was our huge leap. And what do people do? Complain about rabbit holes and a lack of car animations. It doesn't end.

There will simply be a point where it will be difficult, if not downright impossible, to continue to deliver the same magnitude of innovation from game to game. Sims 4 will not be as innovative as the Sims 1->2 leap. Sims 5 won't be either. Nor will Sims 6, 7, or 8, if it gets that far. The basic gameplay isn't going to change much either, and in fact will just continue to build on what's already been done, so the shiny newness of TS2 for you is never coming back.

Test Subject
#17 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 5:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
I'd like to see them cram everything good (a lot) from 8 EPs + 10 SPs + all the Store items into one game and make it possible to run on someone's computer.

I enjoy playing TS3 with the limited CC and no EPs we have. I think what happened is that everyone got hyped up and expected TS3 to be the game de Ciel. And, we're used to having CC that created our personalized game that some are severely underwhelmed by the limited base game we have. Have patience. Wowzing CC and, hopefully, EPs will come.

i wonder how long it would take to install something like that.... probablly the entire day is my guess.

i myself am completely amazed with the ccreate a style! i love how easily we can customize anything without needing to download a million different outfits or couches etc. i think i will mostly likely be downloading a whole lot less which i am sure my computer will appreciate very much.

oh and i dont know how anybody can NOT play for hours and not notice, i do!
Scholar
#18 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 5:56 AM
I find that a lot of the good things about TS3 aren't immediately apparent when you start playing, not the way they were in the change from TS1 to TS2. I was a bit disappointed the first few times I played and mostly noticed the things that weren't in the game. However, the more I played the more I enjoyed the game and I kept noticing small things that started to add up after awhile. Now, I'm very much addicted and have been playing more frequently and for longer stints than I probably have since Seasons came out (and before that, Makin' Magic).

It probably also depends a lot upon your playing style. I'm a cc addict and had every EP, so my loading times were insane and most of my Sims only went to a community lot once in their lifetimes. It took me awhile to get out of that habit and go exploring. That's when the game really took off for me. :P
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 6:24 AM Last edited by Angstrom : 8th Jul 2009 at 3:39 PM.
The world was a lot different when TS2 was released in September 2004. Barack Obama was still in the Illinois Senate, Pope John Paul II was in office, Saddam Hussein had not been sent to trial, and the Indian Ocean tsunami had not struck yet. When it comes to computing, Youtube, Facebook and the Ubuntu operating system did not exist. A computer with 1 GB RAM and 100 GB hard-drive was considered "high-end".

Back then, predicting what The Sims franchise would look like in 2009, would be very difficult.

At this pace, The Sims 4 will come out in 2014. Things will be different then.

And The Sims 8 will come out in 2034. How old will you be then?
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Angstrom
A computer with 1 MB RAM and 100 MB hard-drive was considered "high-end".

<_<

You mean GB, right? :D

Mad Poster
#21 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 9:54 AM
We might not remember how lame the TS2 base game was before the expansions.

Without cars and walking between lots, you were forced to call a cab to get to the store.
Without seasons, fireflies, butterflies or growing crops, the lots were sterile.
Without downtown, hobby lots and resorts, Sims had almost nowhere to go after work.

TS3 does not offer all of this, but most of it.

I tried to get my sims to walk to a lot, but they don't. It'e either the cab or running. Also, in basegame TS2 we had garden plants we needed to water and trim, and a gardner to hire. And there was a downtown, since we had the objects needed to make a store. And there was the pool house. Like someone else said above, I didn't miss all the TS1 conent when there was just TS2 basegame available.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 10:14 AM
The world was a lot different when TS2 was released in September 2004. Barack Obama was still in the Illinois Senate, Pope John Paul II was in office, Saddam Hussein had not been sent to trial, and the Indian Ocean tsunami had not struck yet. When it comes to computing, Youtube, Facebook and the Ubuntu operating system did not exist. A computer with 1 MB RAM and 100 MB hard-drive was considered "high-end".

Back then, predicting what The Sims franchise would look like in 2009, would be very difficult.

At this pace, The Sims 4 will come out in 2014. Things will be different then.

And The Sims 8 will come out in 2034. How old will you be then?

Too right, I've got married and had 2 children since TS2 came out!
Alchemist
#23 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 12:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover

and without it costing $100
Field Researcher
#24 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 12:03 PM

I have to agree with this. Sims 3 basegame doesn't only need to better than the Sims 2 basegame. It needs to better than Sims 2 with a good deal of the expansions thrown in. Because, it's a sequel
It's so typical of EAxis to praise their games and promise us the moon and not deliver. Neither AI, Story progression or traits work as they said they would.
In the start the game had this 'Oooo! Shiny!' feel, -I actually thought it was quite a bit better than I had feared, but that was because I played only one family to get to know the game, the rest of the town didn't interest me. But as soon as I started playing more families and added some custom ones to add life to the town, I realised the game didn't live up to the promises of EAxis.

And what's up with the lighting? The outdoor lighting looks horrible on the sims, and houses tend to be too dark if you don't add a truckload of windows and use light coloured walls and furniture. The furniture have an ugly shadow too that make them look dirty. (especially the cheapest baby cot looks awful)
And whoever designed the characters needs to get a hard boot in his/her rear. They're a disgrace! Even with custom sliders and skins it's hard to get them look good, and they all look far too similar to my liking. I know I complained alot about their looks on this forum pre-release, and I was told to just wait and see. Well, I have seen their looks now and I hate them. They are just as horrible as I thought they'd be. (even worse, before I added the slider and custom skins)

Yeah, I think Sims 3 is a huge disappointment, even if I do have somewhat fun playing for a while at a time, -right up till I get annoyed over the shortcomings of EAxis
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 1:25 PM
Why does everyone compare the Sims 3 to the Sims 2 base game? Of course it is better than the Sims 2 base game. It should be. You don't take out content from a sequel that has been in the previous version of the game people have been playing for years.

The Sims 3 is not drastically different from the Sims 2, at least from my playing perspective. It feels more like an expansion pack to me. The only thing now is it is like playing the Sims 2 base game with ONE expansion.

It seems ridiculous to use the argument that Sims 3 will be so much better once EP's and CC comes out. This game has only been out a month. Do we have to buy 8 EP's to get the content back that was in Sims 2? The first EP is already rumoured to be a vacation EP. Already done in Sims 2.

Lets compare the Sims 3 to the Sims 2 WITH the EP's. How long would you play if there were not going to be EP released or the ability to create CC (which is a big question right now anyway)? If you really think that Sims 3 surpasses Sims 2 then you will say that even without anything added Sims 3 is superior to the Sims 2 game I was playing 3 months ago. I don't think there are a lot of people that would be able to say that.
Page 1 of 11