Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#326 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 12:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FlyingOcto
I know this was necro'd but I just have to say I'd enjoy the sims a lot more if there was religions in the game. Sending the family off on sunday morning dressed to the nines!!!

You can build a church and you can put in a preacher (with a podium). In other words, you can do it right now.

Quote: Originally posted by HighPlainsGamer
-Witness to them about their religion.
-Tell them they are a sinner.
-Tell them they are going to Hell.
-Tell them they are not enlightened.
-Tell them they are not saved.
-Burn them at the stake

Why complicate? The second and the last one are quite enough.
Advertisement
Space Pony
#327 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 12:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FlyingOcto
I know this was necro'd but I just have to say I'd enjoy the sims a lot more if there was religions in the game. Sending the family off on sunday morning dressed to the nines!!!

You can build your own Church in game, using Custom Content and designating the lot as a community lot. As for adding a Priest/Pastor in game... well let's just hope any modder who can do such a custom career will.
Top Secret Researcher
#328 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CRV13
As for adding a Priest/Pastor in game... well let's just hope any modder who can do such a custom career will.

Here's one.
Top Secret Researcher
#329 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 5:42 PM
And one thing I've noticed with people claiming they are Atheists is all their aggression is always often reared towards Christianity. They'd bad mouth Christianity & the Bible but you rarely see them shaking a fist on Islam & the Qur'an.. or even bad mouthing Buddhism or Shintoism? I've also seen so called Atheists mock men who go into the Priesthood & Women who take vows & go into a Convent as homosexuals and yet you never hear them mock Muslims who endure Eid al-Fitr or their pilgrimage to Mecca.

1. What does this have to do with the subject?

2. That's because fundie Christians annoy us more by, you know, trying to suppress everyone's rights. We don't bring up Islam because everyone agrees that the fundamentalist Muslims who try to blow people up are bad and the Christians are oppressing the rest enough as it is, so mocking them would be like kill-stealing. You don't hear about it as much because it doesn't generate controversy. Also, Buddhists are technically atheists as well, so why would we mock them?

I think that religion in the Sims should be left up to the player and modders. I kind of like not having to deal with religion there, as I already have more than enough in my daily life. Not to mention that it would make the ghost life stage a problem, given that they'd have to accommodate different beliefs about the afterlife, some of which state that ghosts shouldn't exist. Which kind of makes putting those religions in weird, since you can clearly see ghosts walking around in-game. Or witches or other supernaturals, because certain religions think that witches are abominations/always evil/devil worshippers. You'd have to take out a lot of gameplay elements to make it conform to a world that each religion can exist in, which takes out a lot of what makes The Sims what they are.
Instructor
#330 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:07 PM
I'm glad there isn't any religion included in the game itself, like other people have said, one can always download churches and related custom content if one wants. It's easier to add stuff then to remove it (think of all the trouble people have with cabs in medieval themed neighbourhoods and stuff).

Plus like the above poster said, there's the problem of dealing with different belief systems, one can't accomadate everyone, and it's a hot button issue, so it's best not to "choose sides" and let players add religious stuff if they so choose.

They did have religious stuff in Medieval, but that was based on a specific time period in a specific area of the world, TS3 itself is meant to be "generic modern day".

Also going to say that, being an English speaker I come across Christian fundamentalists much more often then Muslim fundamentalists in my daily web-life. I'm more then happy to make fun of Muslims when I come across them, but I don't come across them all that often. It's not my fault that Christian idealouges happen to be a more visible and readily available target in the circles in which I move.
Space Pony
#331 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BeeTalks
Plus, if they brought in Religions like those who don't believe in spirits or supernatural they'd have to get rid of that pack because it would be 'too offensive' to those who were religious. Not only that but the base game ghost feature & the grim reaper would have to go!

Ah but there are Pagan Religions like Voodooism, Animism & Shamanism that do believe in Supernatural Beings, Spirits & Ghosts as well.

What EA's SIMs development team needs to do is go out there and study their subjects even more before they do add a feature to a game & not just second guess stuff. Just like how they did "The 70's, 80's & 90's Stuff Pack", I mean seriously no "New Wave" music for the 80's decade, WTH!?

Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
1. What does this have to do with the subject?

Well the way things are, your so called Atheism is more of a Christian hate group if it's targeted mostly towards Christians.

As an example...

Quote: Originally posted by Andygal
Also going to say that, being an English speaker I come across Christian fundamentalists much more often then Muslim fundamentalists in my daily web-life. I'm more then happy to make fun of Muslims when I come across them, but I don't come across them all that often. It's not my fault that Christian idealouges happen to be a more visible and readily available target in the circles in which I move.

So yeah, Atheists picking on Christians.... Kind of like how homophobes pick on gays (male homosexuals) and ignoring lesbians, just because gays are easier targets eh?

2. That's because fundie Christians annoy us more by, you know, trying to suppress everyone's rights.

And you presume you're not doing the same? If you do value "everyone's rights", then wouldn't it be better if you just looked the other way & ignored those Christians who annoy you? It's bad enough they're being closed minded imbeciles and you just got to fuel the flames?

We don't bring up Islam because everyone agrees that the fundamentalist Muslims who try to blow people up are bad

You have no idea how worse Muslims are than Christians...

Christians only bad mouth homosexuals... Muslims drag you off into the desert & kill you if you're openly gay.

And because they have the balls to blow people up is your excuse for not picking on them? Again more proof as to why you pick on Christians more.

Buddhists are technically atheists as well, so why would we mock them?

And where did you get this idea?

Buddhists also believe in an afterlife, albeit they don't believe in a Heaven or Hell as they believe in reincarnation, Karma & the cycle of life & death as is how it is with Hinduism where the tenets of Buddhism was derived from.
#332 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 9:58 PM
Originally Posted by HighPlainsGamer
-Witness to them about their religion.
-Tell them they are a sinner.
-Tell them they are going to Hell.
-Tell them they are not enlightened.
-Tell them they are not saved.
-Burn them at the stake

Anyone without sin, care to cast the first stone? I know I couldn't cast it. I doubt many folks here could either. Personally I feel that as soon as religion enters into the conversation we're on very shaky ground indeed. And besides, Sims already has religious morality in place when it comes to the judgements passed on sims having kids out of wedlock, or getting a divorce - those are moral ideas formed purely on religion, and I want no part of that.
Space Pony
#333 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fairycake89
Originally Posted by HighPlainsGamer
Anyone without sin, care to cast the first stone? I know I couldn't cast it. I doubt many folks here could either. Personally I feel that as soon as religion enters into the conversation we're on very shaky ground indeed.

But what is a Sin anyway?

It's nothing more than a remnant of Judea-Christian teaching.

On the Ten Commandments it says "honor thy father & mother"... but what if your father was a deadbeat drunk womanizer who doesn't respect and beats up your mother on occasion just for some kicks... IS SUCH A FATHER WORTH HONORING/RESPECTING?

The Commandments also say "Do not covet thy neighbors' wife & possessions"... But what if your neighbor's wife is the town slut/whore who sleeps with every damned man in the county? Or what if your neighbor won't shut up about their new XBox One console?

I rather not commit a crime, as sanctioned by man's laws, than follow an archaic set of commandments that no longer hold any value in this day & age.
#334 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 10:20 PM
But what is a Sin anyway?

That my friend is one hell of a big question. And one I am not qualified to answer. I suspect that this very question has been argued for centuries.
Instructor
#335 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 10:46 PM
Well the way things are, your so called Atheism is more of a Christian hate group if it's targeted mostly towards Christians.

So yeah, Atheists picking on Christians.... Kind of like how homophobes pick on gays (male homosexuals) and ignoring lesbians, just because gays are easier targets eh?

What the heck do you mean "so-called"? Are you accusing people of lying about not believing in god? And I don't "pick on" Christians. I just have better things to do then go out of my way to look for Muslim fundamentalists to criticize in order to be "fair" or whatever. I criticize what I see, and I see a much larger number of Christians then I do Muslims. That's just the way it is.

Quote:
You have no idea how worse Muslims are than Christians...

Christians only bad mouth homosexuals... Muslims drag you off into the desert & kill you if you're openly gay.

What rock have YOU been living under? How many people have been killed or beaten up for being gay in America? A lot, and I've seen a ton of Christian fundamentalists saying that gay people should be killed. There are plenty of Christians that are more then willing to kill gay people, and there are also plenty of Muslims that don't agree with the hardliners that gay people should be killed.

When it comes down to it, the only real difference between the lunatic fringe of Christianity and the lunatic fringe of Islam is the book they use to justify their lunacy.
Space Pony
#336 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Andygal
What rock have YOU been living under? How many people have been killed or beaten up for being gay in America?

Here we go again with the "America is teh universe" mentality... FYI, I'm not from America & the rock I live under is in Southeast Asia :P

And I'm not targeting you in my previous comments... but I've seen a lot of people on teh internetz (on other community forums I frequent & on Youtube especially) who are like that, hiding their hate of Christians under the guise of Atheism to justify their need to vent their hate.
Field Researcher
#337 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 11:33 PM
I'm completely unreligious and sometimes even I want a church sort of thing for my sims to get married in or whatever, depending on the family. I'm used to the tradition of it even if it stems from a belief system I'm not part of. So I download one! Or I make one! Easy. I really don't think religion would do the game any good. Look how much of a debate just the idea of it has stemmed here. The sims are completely removed from that kind of thing anyway. They don't even have vague political parties! There's a mayor/leader of the free world that no one even votes for! Why create an entire system that will basically just result in creating unnecessary controversy? I think it'd be cute if they had a Llama God they could worship - didn't they used to have some kind of statue they'd worship? But just as something silly.
How would sims go about picking their religion? Would they shun people who weren't part of theirs? Treat each religion differently? Treat them all the same? Act differently, follow different moral codes? Think of how ridiculous that would be to implement in the first place, let alone how offensive it would end up being to each religious/non-religious player. Half of the players would want all of the sims to act the same toward one another regardless of religion (like in real life!) and half of them would think if a sim in their neighborhood is a different religion they should die (like in real life!).
So messy. Best left to CC and mods imo.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#338 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tiffyandthewall
I really don't think religion would do the game any good. Look how much of a debate just the idea of it has stemmed here.

So messy. Best left to CC and mods imo.
DING DING DING! We have a winner, folks. This is precisely the reason we don't have religion in the game. For those who want to pretend their Sims worship whatever, more power to you. For those who don't want to go anywhere near the subject, that's fine too.
Top Secret Researcher
#339 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 3:12 AM
I had been hesitating about uploading my First Parish in Sunset Valley for some of the reasons illustrated in this thread, but now I am thinking perhaps I ought to do it. The meetinghouse has in its vestibule a rock. The sign by the inner door -- cloned from the Dress Code Pool Rules Sign -- gives instructions for use of the rock. This screenshot (taken through the outer doors) is from when an out-of-town Sim visited my household in SV over the winter holidays:

The Sim script reads "Nam qui sine peccato est", which corresponds to what fairycake89 said.
Theorist
#340 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 4:51 AM
I'm not much a fan of the religious debates and probably have the unpopular opinion here but what if instead of "religion" they did a "way of life" or something along that line...
Where it's not necessarily a worshiping of higher power, but the way your Sims live their life like a non-wishful Lifetime Wish for instance:
A Woohooer - Believes in accomplishing woohooing outside of wedlock with several Sims
Fertilitan - Believes that all Sims should have at least 3 children, and any woman within the family is raised to be a housewife
Free Rider - Believes that life is just life, and should be lived as just life
Dingadeweldskaklsdian - Believes that spasms on the keyboard should be used in choosing the name of something when you can't think of anything else because you're too tired to develop a full list right now.
#341 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 5:02 AM
A woohooer = Master Romancer wish, with all the flirty traits

Fertilitan = Family oriented

Free Rider = Mooch

We already have things that can help sims choose their "way of life", their traits, and the wishes they roll.
Field Researcher
#342 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 5:13 AM
There are two religions in the sims Medieval, the Peteran and the Jacoban, why not in the sims 3?
#343 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 5:50 AM
I think it is because Medieval implies European, and religion was a huge part of the world at that time. The church had enormous power. It pervaded all aspects of life, and so it made sense for it to be included in the game.

The Sims 3, while some towns definately draw inspiration from various parts of the world, can be "anywhere" in "anytime". Sunset Valley can be in America, or France, or Japan, or wherever. It's generic enough that any player in any place can relate to it. Since religions vary wildly, it would be more difficult to implement a system where everyone is happy. That's just my opinion though.
Space Pony
#344 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
The Sims 3, while some towns definitely draw inspiration from various parts of the world, can be "anywhere" in "anytime". Sunset Valley can be in America, or France, or Japan, or wherever. It's generic enough that any player in any place can relate to it.

I still can't relate well to The SIMs worlds, no matter how much you folks say the game is generic.

First off, how come in the SIMs world locking your doors is considered unsociable? I live in a part of the world where even if you lock your doors robbers will still try to rob you. Heck even if you have a ten foot concrete wall around your house &/or CCTV network installed they still will rob you. So yeah, I highly value the ability to lock my SIMs' doors as a form of self preservation, not an act of Xenophobia.

Gates.. I need gates! Sure there are several fence gates available in game... but why no driveway gates? I have to rely on CC for this need. This also ties in with my issue regarding locking doors.

Showers & bathtubs.... sure these are common elsewhere, but from where I'm from "the typical" bathroom just has a toilet, maybe a sink & mirror, Showers & tubs are considered luxurious items, not a common commodity. "How do we take baths?" you might ask? we use a pail of water and a dipper...

Here's a video of an American (I think she's American) exploring the typical bathroom setup in my country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGgkY7k10BI

And another crappy bit of trivia about my country....

"Bathrooms are somewhat of a luxury in of itself as there are houses here (even whole communities) that do not have their own bathrooms! Especially from those in the slums! So what happens is either they answer nature's call "anywhere outside" or they go to a public pay bathroom.

Because of this matter I am slightly overwhelmed by how big a typical SIM Bathroom is, because as you can see a typical bathroom here is usually one SIM Tile big... two if you're lucky.

There are a lot more stuff in the SIMs world I can not relate to because they're either too Westernized or too luxurious and posh for my taste.
Field Researcher
#345 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 10:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
It's generic enough that any player in any place can relate to it. Since religions vary wildly, it would be more difficult to implement a system where everyone is happy. That's just my opinion though.

I think the religions in the sims Medieval are generic enough to make everyone happy. They were not patterned from any religions that I know of. Simply the Jacoban priests instill fear coverting their believers that they would go to hell if they don't, and the Peteran priests has a nicer way of doing it. Would anyone be offended by that?
Space Pony
#346 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 11:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jeannie4414
I think the religions in the sims Medieval are generic enough to make everyone happy. They were not patterned from any religions that I know of. Simply the Jacoban priests instill fear coverting their believers that they would go to hell if they don't, and the Peteran priests has a nicer way of doing it. Would anyone be offended by that?

The Jacoban Priests in SIMs Medieval are accurate depictions of how early Christians were back in the day... which lead to the "Dark/Middle Ages".

Peterans however is a good depiction of how Christianity SHOULD HAVE GONE... Jesus Christ himself was like that you know... it was his followers who formed the Christian church as it is now that went the wrong path IMHO...

Because of this fact, although required I actually never create a Jacoban Priest in my SIMs Medieval game play because of all the negativity they are associated to.
Lab Assistant
#347 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 12:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGgkY7k10BI

And another crappy bit of trivia about my country....

"Bathrooms are somewhat of a luxury in of itself as there are houses here (even whole communities) that do not have their own bathrooms! Especially from those in the slums! So what happens is either they answer nature's call "anywhere outside" or they go to a public pay bathroom.

I live in the Philippines, too. I'm here to say, before a lot of you assume things, that the entire country is NOT like that. Every bedroom in my house has its own bathroom, so I happen to have nine bathrooms in total. While I don't consider myself rich, I do know I'm one of the lucky ones. All my friends, some of which are actually pretty wealthy, have nice bathrooms, too.

Now on topic: Though I was raised in a Christian environment, I think it's best for things to stay the way they are. I don't want any religion in the sims, even generic ones, because I can already see/hear the arguments.
Space Pony
#348 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BartholomewMaximillion
I live in the Philippines, too. I'm here to say, before a lot of you assume things, that the entire country is NOT like that. Every bedroom in my house has its own bathroom, so I happen to have nine bathrooms in total. While I don't consider myself rich, I do know I'm one of the lucky ones. All my friends, some of which are actually pretty wealthy, have nice bathrooms, too.

Your house has nine bathrooms and you don't consider yourself filthy rich? Err.. hello! You truly have been sheltered! :P

Seriously get out of your posh house and go to middle class to lower class neighborhoods and see the real face of poverty in the country :P
Lab Assistant
#349 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 1:56 PM
Your house has nine bathrooms and you don't consider yourself filthy rich? Err.. hello! You truly have been sheltered! :P

Seriously get out of your posh house and go to middle class to lower class neighborhoods and see the real face of poverty in the country :P

I know I'm sheltered, but that wasn't my point. I just didn't want people to think the whole country was how you described it. There are nice bathrooms, too.
Space Pony
#350 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BartholomewMaximillion
I know I'm sheltered, but that wasn't my point. I just didn't want people to think the whole country was how you described it. There are nice bathrooms, too.

Yes there are posh houses in the country... but you are a mere 1% of the total populace so your point was what then?

And oh.. there are also people who only live in a small thatched hut far off in the mountainous or isolated islands WITHOUT EVEN ELECTRICITY... But guess what? Even if they live in such dire conditions they're better off than sheltered rich folk because they are humble & hospitable :P

There is a saying here that goes...

Aanhin pa ang bahay na bato kung ang nakatira ay kwago buti pa ang bahay kubo ang nakatira ay tao?

Which roughly translates into English as...

What good is a Grand Palace if its residents are all fools. Better to live in a humble shack with humble folk beside you.

Actually it literally translates into...

What good is a stone house when only owls live there. Better to live in a shack where there are actually people living in it.
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: WHARGARBL
Page 14 of 16