Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#351 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 2:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CRV13
What good is a stone house when only owls live there.
Don't hate!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#352 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 3:16 PM
Yes there are posh houses in the country... but you are a mere 1% of the total populace so your point was what then?

And oh.. there are also people who only live in a small thatched hut far off in the mountainous or isolated islands WITHOUT EVEN ELECTRICITY... But guess what? Even if they live in such dire conditions they're better off than sheltered rich folk because they are humble & hospitable :P

There is a saying here that goes...

Aanhin pa ang bahay na bato kung ang nakatira ay kwago buti pa ang bahay kubo ang nakatira ay tao?

Which roughly translates into English as...

What good is a Grand Palace if its residents are all fools. Better to live in a humble shack with humble folk beside you.

Actually it literally translates into...

What good is a stone house when only owls live there. Better to live in a shack where there are actually people living in it.

Honestly, you're taking this too personally. You don't even know me, so what right do you have to say that I'm not humble or hospitable? A person's wealth does not say anything about their personalities. Rich or poor, it doesn't matter. Our country is being held back by TWO things, not one: some rich people may be corrupt, but some poor people are also thieves.
One of the best things about our country is our national pride. The only reason I posted in this thread at all was because you implied that you were from here, too, so why jump to insulting conclusions?
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#353 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 3:41 PM
Why don't we move away from the potty talk, and gravitate back to the topic?

I don't mean to imply that EVERYONE can relate 100% to the way the towns are implemented, because obviously, there will always be someone who can point out something that's not quite how they live. I was merely pointing out that religion in the Sims Medieval was integrated into the game because in the time period it was supposed to represent religion was nearly omnipresent in every aspect of life. Since that is no longer the case, that is probably why Sims 3 doesn't have religion at all. Since we can't even seem to have a discussion about it without somehow getting into how people are sheltered because they have a bathtub, this is probably a good thing.

And just for the record, we in America also have places where people don't have electricity or flushing toilets. There is a saying here that goes....

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."
Top Secret Researcher
#354 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 4:27 PM
Sadly, people pick on those they do not understand. Do you realize that the families of pagan US soldiers had to go to court to have a Wiccan burial? In some cases, the families were "encouraged" to have Christian burials because Wiccan was not on the official list at that time. They were successful though and now you can find pagan headstones in military cemetaries. I am a Unitarian Universalist...finding worth in all world religions and encouraging people to find their own personal theology. I consider my Sims to be UU's as well. They can worship rocks if they want!! Have to admit, more of them worship the old "Video Game God". Geesh, can't get them off those things.
One Minute Ninja'd
#355 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

The stones in glass houses I get, but I'm still trying to figure out how the owls fit in.
Theorist
#356 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 5:26 PM
Well I live in a cardboard box, outside of the local McDonald's for wifi on my modern day Motorola DynaTAC, if that makes anyone feel better.

(Just to add, I believe some person said it earlier that this thread is just the reason why Religion shouldn't be in the game. It's sad that some people disagreed with him but it's a heated topic and it obviously branches off loads of arguments that have nothing to do with the topic in the first place. So although I do think a parody would be appropriate action to do if added, but I also think it would be even safer to not.)
#357 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 5:36 PM
I do not see how the lack of an explicit faith is an indication that there is no religion in the game or that the game producers do not support it. Faith is more of a worldview type of thing. Sure, there are houses of worship, sacred places, scriptures, clergymen and women, specific articles of clothing, and the like, but religion by definition is a kind of worldview. Currently in my game, I play with a CC-free game, because I like to play it that way. In my stories, I like to work on character development, and this character named Charlotte Blissful is either Jewish or Christian or a Gentile-that-follows-the-Noahide-laws due to a reference in my story of her working on the Sabbath and not sure about how to tell her boss about it. It's an integral part of the story, really.
Field Researcher
#358 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 7:13 PM
OMG! (Should I have put the 'G' in there? My bad!) Anyway, after reading these lovely comments I have come to the conclusion that the reason religion is not in the Sims 3 is because of all that has been said on the previous 15 pages. This is about the farthest from a civil discussion I have ever seen on the boards.

Now, let's all calm down and have a discussion about why politics is not in the Sims games.
One Minute Ninja'd
#359 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 9:01 PM
We'll consider if Oh My Gosh for the sake of this thread (or Gaia, if you're into that instead).
Field Researcher
#360 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 10:32 PM

And oh.. there are also people who only live in a small thatched hut far off in the mountainous or isolated islands WITHOUT EVEN ELECTRICITY... But guess what? Even if they live in such dire conditions they're better off than sheltered rich folk because they are humble & hospitable :P

That's not always the case, I completely disagree that those people are better than rich people. Better because they are humble and hospitable? It's like you're saying rich people are not humble and hospitable. You're complaining too much. People work hard to get where they are, and they all pay taxes accordingly. The people you should be complaining at are those people who impose these taxes (not in an online forum). Think about it, they take your hard earned money for doing absolutely nothing at all. They don't help you get more income, and where does this money go to, their daily allowance money, where else do you think would it go to? You don't see them giving it to poor people. Let me know if you have better luck there, because clearly you are not getting much complaining here.

And in what way does this relate to the topic anyway. It seems like you only post here to complain, like it's other people's fault that you have a small bathroom. You have no one to blame but you and your student architect. I don't understand what is your point. Maybe so people would feel sympathetic towards you for having a small bathroom? To let the whole world know never to go in a bathroom where you live?
#361 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 11:01 PM
There was one time when I created a neighborhood to resemble an old English countryside for the suburb of Veronaville. The sub-hood was titled Briney Fjord, because that was the name of the template. On the terrain, I added a couple of big family houses, and for each "big" family house, there were about six or so smaller cottages. Guess what? Each house had a little private room that was dedicated to worship. I intended that the worship rooms would be used as familial temples, where the families themselves would visit them and honor their dead family members. I placed two candle objects and one fruit bowl object (all from the base game) in the room, so it looked like that the room was filled with incense, and that the food was devoted for the family gods and spirits.
Space Pony
#362 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 11:41 PM Last edited by CRV13 : 7th Jul 2013 at 9:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by jeannie4414
I don't understand what is your point.

Were my previous posts TL;DR for you? If so here's my point:

I still can't relate well to The SIMs worlds, no matter how much you folks say the game is generic.

Which was my response to:

Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
The Sims 3, while some towns definately draw inspiration from various parts of the world, can be "anywhere" in "anytime". Sunset Valley can be in America, or France, or Japan, or wherever. It's generic enough that any player in any place can relate to it. Since religions vary wildly, it would be more difficult to implement a system where everyone is happy. That's just my opinion though.

That's not always the case, I completely disagree that those people are better than rich people. Better because they are humble and hospitable? It's like you're saying rich people are not humble and hospitable.

"The fine line between the rich & the poor" is extremely obvious here from where I'm from. And yes the rich folk tend to be jerks towards those less fortunate than they are.

People work hard to get where they are, and they all pay taxes accordingly.

In the rest of the world maybe... but here... most people (rich or poor folk) DO NOT PROPERLY PAY THEIR TAXES. Yes, there are a lot of Tax evaders here which is one of the reasons our Government does not have enough money Add to that matter Corrupt Government officials who run for Public Office to sponge off more of that limited Government funds to fill their pockets even more... and yes, several of 'em do not pay their dues properly as well... so yeah, I live in a screwed up country... not like what you "First world" country types are used to.

"And who is to blame for all this mess we're in?" you might ask... the poor uneducated masses who get payed off by the filthy rich Government officials who buy off these illiterate masses votes during Election period with the sum of about $20USD per vote.

So yeah... welcome to the darker side of my country... the side The Tourism Bureau DOES NOT want to show to potential tourists....

Anyhoo... with the introduction of building foundations that go in the water I can finally recreate a staple of my country...

The shanty under a bridge.

EDIT: Addendum:

I find whoever disliked this comment slightly amusing...

If that screenshot of the shanty under the bridge appalled you... wait 'til you watch these...

Informal settlers living inside Cemetery grounds -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTfGoI6pC-I

Life under a bridge -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badwwN0SONY

If you American kiddies complain about having to have a paper route to earn money... you're actually better off :P
#363 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
The stones in glass houses I get, but I'm still trying to figure out how the owls fit in.

I seriously suspect they fly in. Not sure but that's my gut feeling

*where the frack is an owl icon when you need one?*
Top Secret Researcher
#364 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 12:21 AM
Anyhoo... with the introduction of building foundations that go in the water I can finally recreate a staple of my country...
The shanty under a bridge.
I am sorry there are those. I wish the game had jeepneys, though.
Space Pony
#365 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 2:03 AM
For those who are baffled by that proverb I posted, here is a web entry I found that tries to explain it as well as other Proverbs we have here:

Source -> http://www.billionquotes.com/index....lipino_proverbs

Quote:
Aanhin mo ang palasyo, kung ang nakatira ay kuwago? Mabuti pa ang bahay kubo, ang nakatira ay tao.
What good is a palace if it's inhabited by owls. Better a straw hut inhabited by humans.
A shot at materialism, this proverb states that it is better to live in a shabby house and be humane than to live in a lavish house and act like a low-life or animal.

I do know for a fact that in other cultures Owls are seen as symbols of Wisdom, but in the context of the proverb Owls or the Tagalog translation "Kuwago" was just chosen to ensure that the lines of the proverbs would rhyme and the syllables counted exactly the same.

Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
I am sorry there are those. I wish the game had jeepneys, though.

I don't mind the slum areas as they are part of reality... what I do mind though are the Elitists who look down on these unfortunate people and try to block their existence from "their vision" of "the Perfect Manila".

And yes, I definitely want a Jeepney for my SIMs game as well as on SIMCity 4 & Cities XL.

I'd also want one of these:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...-d7uTW7Lu1ktHYC

As well as these:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...uimmN7pxkjF0ypg
Lab Assistant
#366 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 11:44 AM
Everyone always says that religion shouldn't be included in the game because its a socially sensitive subject but aren't we all forgetting something? The Sims Medieval has religion. I mean couldn't they just makeup a bunch of religions and make one for atheists as well?

That being said, I could care less about religion being incorporated into the game but I thought this could be a valid comment for those who really want to see this component in action.
dodgy builder
#367 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 5:21 PM
I don't want ANY religion, not even for atheists. Some say atheists are less moral than religious people. I usually have the opposite experience. Atheists don't have a God to please, we simply have our family, friends, work collegues, boss, government, society, poor people living in a shelter, homeless and so on. There's always someone who needs my attention.

The religious mediterrainean peoples not paying taxes and swear when their government force them to, because hard working germans have to pay, is not high on my moral list.

I'm just fireing up even more here

I made a tomb for non religious people who don't want to use precious farming soil to bury their family in, perhaps I should prepare it for mts.
Top Secret Researcher
#368 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 8:20 PM
Well the way things are, your so called Atheism is more of a Christian hate group if it's targeted mostly towards Christians.

Of course. Just like how a kid defending himself from a bully is a bully himself if he's only defending against the bully and not the entire class.

Quote:
So yeah, Atheists picking on Christians.... Kind of like how homophobes pick on gays (male homosexuals) and ignoring lesbians, just because gays are easier targets eh?

Bullies are easy targets as well. Does that mean it's wrong to defend ourselves against them, like how picking on gay people is wrong?

Quote:
And you presume you're not doing the same? If you do value "everyone's rights", then wouldn't it be better if you just looked the other way & ignored those Christians who annoy you? It's bad enough they're being closed minded imbeciles and you just got to fuel the flames?

Nope. Closed-minded imbeciles could use some viewpoint variety in their lives, generally because the lack of it is what causes closed-mindedness.

Quote:
You have no idea how worse Muslims are than Christians...

Christians only bad mouth homosexuals... Muslims drag you off into the desert & kill you if you're openly gay.

And because they have the balls to blow people up is your excuse for not picking on them? Again more proof as to why you pick on Christians more.

Of course. The fact that everyone agrees that extreme fundie Muslims are horrible people means that atheists have no idea how horrible they are.

You don't hear about us picking on the Muslims because IT'S NOT CONTROVERSIAL. Christians hate Muslims, we hate the Muslims who blow people up, so we're in agreement. There can't be controversy when two groups agree. And if there's no controversy, there's nothing to talk about. Therefore, you don't hear about us picking on Muslims as much as Christians, because the Muslims don't whine.

Quote:
And where did you get this idea?

Buddhists also believe in an afterlife, albeit they don't believe in a Heaven or Hell as they believe in reincarnation, Karma & the cycle of life & death as is how it is with Hinduism where the tenets of Buddhism was derived from.

A- = prefix meaning not.
Theist = word meaning 'believer in deity/ies, NOT 'spiritual person'

Buddhists don't believe in any gods, unless they combine Buddhism with another religion. Therefore, pure Buddhists are atheists.

Now, here's a question: you're picking on atheists for mocking Christians. Aren't we an easy target for you, since you see us more than fundie Muslims? If we're not worse than them, since we don't drag people out in the desert and leave them to die, then shouldn't you be picking on the Muslims and not us? If you value not picking on people, then wouldn't it be easier to ignore us and not fan the flames?

Now, if you have any further problems, there's a thread for that over in General Discussion which is much more appropriate for sudden complaining about atheism than a mostly unrelated thread in the TS3 discussion boards.
Space Pony
#369 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 8:46 PM
@hugbug993: I actually have nothing against Atheists as a whole. I just don't appreciate the blatant hate others spew out over the internet.

Also:

Quote:
a kid defending himself from a bully is a bully himself if he's only defending against the bully

A kid defending himself from a bully is not a bully, it is just an act of self preservation.

Quote:
Buddhists don't believe in any gods, unless they combine Buddhism with another religion. Therefore, pure Buddhists are atheists.

Buddhists, especially the Tibetan Sect are Agnostics actually because they do believe in deities and Spirit Ancestors.
#370 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LaRiennee
Everyone always says that religion shouldn't be included in the game because its a socially sensitive subject but aren't we all forgetting something? The Sims Medieval has religion. I mean couldn't they just makeup a bunch of religions and make one for atheists as well?

That being said, I could care less about religion being incorporated into the game but I thought this could be a valid comment for those who really want to see this component in action.

The thing is, the god they worship is Medieval, is the player - we are the Watcher.
Space Pony
#371 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 8:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fairycake89
The thing is, the god they worship is Medieval, is the player - we are the Watcher.

In all other SIMs games we, the player is the "Asshole" who enjoy killing off our SIMs by dubious ways.
dodgy builder
#372 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 11:26 AM
Buddhists, especially the Tibetan Sect are Agnostics actually because they do believe in deities and Spirit Ancestors.

That is in fact how most religions work. To find anyone with a clean belief is hard, also because in most religions what is a clean believer is almost impossible to tell, because the source can be read in so many ways. Werther it's Koran or the Bible.

To my knowledge Buddha claimed to be a teacher, he was never God. He did on the other hand have a set of rules in which to live by, if you wanted to reach Nirvana or what it's called. Many spirit or nature religions believes in hole nature being the God. That has been said about Hinduism as well. All hindus as a part of God.

I just don't approve of any religion telling me what is right and what is wrong, because people makes it into something to use to defend their actions. I don't want that. I want people to have to defend their own actions agains other humans.
Forum Resident
#373 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HelloClarice
what would a non-denominational place of worship look like? You couldn't make it look like anything or someone would get offended.

I once went to a Unitarian-Universalist church called Unity of the Valley, just to check it out. Their symbol was simply that of a dove in flight, to symbolize peace amongst all religions. From the outside it hardly looked like a church at all, but was still very eye-catching:

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
One Minute Ninja'd
#374 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chreai
I once went to a Unitarian-Universalist church called Unity of the Valley, just to check it out. Their symbol was simply that of a dove in flight, to symbolize peace amongst all religions. From the outside it hardly looked like a church at all, but was still very eye-catching:

Huh, I would have thought it was a bank branch.
Forum Resident
#375 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 5:13 PM Last edited by chreai : 8th Jul 2013 at 5:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
Closed-minded imbeciles could use some viewpoint variety in their lives, generally because the lack of it is what causes closed-mindedness.

I'm going to hate myself for getting involved in this discussion but...

I can see your point of view. However, this would be like, as the saying goes, "throwing pearls before swine." Such wisdom would only fall on deaf ears, because of said closed-mindedness. It is a catch-22. You're better off finding someone who would actually be open to listening to your point of view, if for no other reason than to avoid frustration and anger on your part from being bombarded with verbal missiles. But keep in mind that open-mindedness does not guarantee conversion, if that is your objective.

Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Huh, I would have thought it was a bank branch.

The stained-glass windows at the top were the only things that gave it away. They look blue in the pic but shone purple/pink in the sunlight and the light revealed the dove symbol.

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: WHARGARBL
Page 15 of 16