Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 11:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
Here's another slightly nitpicky one: how shiny the clothing is.

Yeah, whatever they did in Medieval with the clothing, add that to TS3, there's sooo many clothes I refuse to use due to how the light bounce off of them.

Sorry, but my sim aint gonn' wear no plasticy garbage sacks, no no.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#102 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dojan5
Yeah, whatever they did in Medieval with the clothing, add that to TS3, there's sooo many clothes I refuse to use due to how the light bounce off of them.

Sorry, but my sim aint gonn' wear no plasticy garbage sacks, no no.

It helps if you add a pattern to it, I have this plain pattern, like cotton, that I add to clothes if I want to make them solid colour. If you just use colour, they definitely are too shiny and plastic looking.
Forum Resident
#103 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
I thought Tzigone meant they expected a more intimate/special reaction from the husband instead of a way-to-go-champ slap on the arm. lol

Yes, exactly. It's so hands-off and distant. How about a hug or a kiss. I don't think I'm going crazy here - I'm not asking for complicated game code that would check last woohoo date and have hubby react negatively if that can't be his kid or anything. Just for a generic happy-dad response for the boyfriend or husband instead of him having the same animation as acquaintances.
Forum Resident
#104 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
It helps if you add a pattern to it, I have this plain pattern, like cotton, that I add to clothes if I want to make them solid colour. If you just use colour, they definitely are too shiny and plastic looking.

I don't know exactly which pattern you use, but in my experience, even when I try to make, say, tweed slacks, there's still a noticeable amount of reflection in-game. For some stuff that's okay-- it's nice to have a shiny silk dress or something-- but it doesn't seem to be texture/pattern-dependent and thus gleaming jeans and greasy slacks.
Top Secret Researcher
#105 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 4:41 PM
Ani, I have to agree with Tempscire. It seems, no matter what pattern and fabric you use, darker shades always turn into shiny fugliness. It's pity really, because some of the game's textures are not that bad.
There was an old thread talking about it and HP had asked us to post photos in case she could work on some fix.
Test Subject
#106 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 7:33 PM
The thing i miss most about the sims 2 is when a family member would come home from a hard days work there partner would run up to them and give them a kiss and a hug or the children would come running.
Also drive in drive ways instead of the cars just appearing?
I also hate vampires seriously they have no place in my sims game, if i could i would delete them all.
I love the sims 3 just because you can go where ever and it looks alot better I can build houses that look better then sims 2 houses aswell as people.
I haven't had any problems with corruption or anything apart from the game crashed 3 times in a row once probably due to bad cc.

If you don't like the game shut up and move on to that stupid internet thing, I have had the sims all the way from the original sims 1 to sims 3 and this one is the best of them all. The only game i refuse to buy even though i want the content is WA i hate the concept seriously who goes on adventures like that? nobody.
AND i hated aliens in sims 2 and i hate the stupid vampires in LN!!! or did i say that already?
Test Subject
#107 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 12:53 PM Last edited by psyckorious : 30th Mar 2011 at 3:21 PM.
So when I first booted up the game and finally got to the point where I was moving my First little me into a home, I noticed that something about the building (home) was off. I realized that everything felt a bit tooney or fake. Like the walls were too thick, the lots in which they were built on felt fake… Flat, lacking texture and nothing to really make the house feel like it’s really settled into the ground. The next thing that really, really got my goat, were the cars. Now I know not every simmer is a car nut however I am. I spent the bulk of my time in the sims two just expanding my collection of CC vehicles.

In the sims 2 the cars sat in your garage, in FT you could work on them, some cars could actually be polished. You could sit in the them and chill, sit in them and listen to music. One vehicle I made was a Crown Vic and I had a genius friend of mine fix the lighting system so that the police lights actually worked the way they should. So I would often have my sim go out to the car and just flip the lights on, on it and let it sit in the modified street parking spot with lights going. The doors on the car opened, the sim got in and backed out of the parking lot.

Now I thought the further this game progresses throughout the years that things like that would only get better, now my sims go out to the curb and the car just appears out of nowhere, and then poof they’re in it and off they go… Now as a car nut I can appreciate certain interactions with cars, and I definitely feel the disappointment when those interactions just magically go away. Then worse just gets worse because sometimes when you go places, even if there is parking… A WHOLE FLIPPIN’ CAR!? Goes into the sim’s personal inventory?

I'm sure that the inventory doesn’t represent like the sim wearing a back pack but... when you have a family inventory… that’s where it should go, and the personal inventory should be treated as like a back pack or pockets or I don’t know. On a more realistic level though a car should not be able to just sit in a magical place in your inventory to pop out of nowhere when desired, I shouldn’t be allowed to just hold a car in a bag of holding and be able to skip forking over 150 dollars for a drive way.

And if that isn’t enough toppings for the Sunday of fail prepared by EA in the vehicles department, let me throw on some nuts. So now we’ve lost woohooing in the cars and making out and cuddling and talking! I mean I thought I would get better options in three.. Like go out to the car after a fight and have my sim cool off just sitting there or going for a drive, I thought you would be able to fight in the car and much more! I thought cars would be taken out of inventory and be put into special Auto Malls so that your sim could have the real car buying experience. In real life I would much prefer to buy a car from a catalog and not have to deal with slimy salesmen however in the game I would love for my sim to be able to buy a car or have an experience like I can’t have. I want to be able to have my sim be a true car fanatic and be polishing his car or working on it or going out and actually enjoying it.

Now to top off this fantastic Failureday from EA, a beautiful bright F you in the face cherry from EA as if to throw it in our faces what they raped us Car nuts of, they gave us the car enthusiast trait that allows us to name our car and have a relationship with it! Bravo! EA, got your message loud and clear. Also a few things that I forgot about that I was hoping for in Sims 3 due to getting over the shock of everything listed above was, I thought for sure cars would have to be fueled and maintained at mechanics shops and stuff.

With that all being said I would move onto the next part that really got me upset was that all the locations and destinations were for the most part all rabbit holes. I thought for certain EA wouldn’t F*** us on this one crucial piece of the game seeing is how we were being offered a whole city to openly roam around in. I mean seriously it was like playing the base game sims 2 all over again. Great beautiful suburban neighborhood no place to go… except for the empty lifeless locations that are prebuilt and give me no satisfaction what so ever to even bother going out to.

Next thing I didn’t like was that my sim gets in the taxi and it’s a free trip. I would love to live in that community, don’t even need to pay for gas.

Another thing it took me a while to notice and figure out was that the sims still do not interact with each other like they should… Seeing is how we control every little detail with free will turned off completely… There should still be some things that are just beyond our control to give us that satisfactory edge that makes life so beautiful and random. So I have two sims… one is me, the other is my spouse, and it’s fun to see how similar with all the right traits that are sims are to us… however my sims don’t make quick little conversations with each other they don’t randomly kiss or hold hands or do any of the things that two people who are in love and married should do. Same goes with parents and children.

I think that primarily conversations should be autonomous and should be a whole separate command line from the interactions we as players queue up. For instance if I send my sim to the kitchen for a drink and his son is sitting at the kitchen island on a barstool eating a snack and doing his home work my sim should come over and talk to him and ask him how his home work is coming all by himself and that should take priority over him getting something from the fridge. Then after that and pulling the beer from the fridge my sim’s husband comes in from the garage coming home from work… if they’re both in a good mood maybe my sims stops there and drinks his beer in the kitchen while his husband engages him in talk of his day.

If his husband is in a bad mood maybe it’s just a kiss on his way to the room and an "I love you." And that’s another thing Sims should have words and conversations that you can understand. Statements and questions such as If the father comes over and asks his son in simlish how his home work is coming there’s a thought bubble to tell us he’s talking about his son and then the homework should pop up and then words in simlish being spoken match that in tone and character. I want to be able to tell that the father is asking his son about his home work. I want the dad to call his kid a nick name like “Hey Sport” would be “Shubba! Snort”, for example.

Essentially I think that the sims should not treat our queue of manipulation as the end all be it of their life... I think they should be able to still have free will and treat the tasks that we assign them as more of tasks on a schedul that they can feel free to act and be like a real family or real couple or show more of their personality which we designated them in between what we tell them to do. Otherwise it truly is like playing with dolls that we ourselves in our minds put more life into than what actually happens in game. I think it’s time also that EA really puts a better effort and more focus into the voice acting for the sims, First of all Saints row did a half way decent job of making a character that is unique from the way they talk and the voice (I haven't heard any british or spanish sounding voices in the sims).

In saints row you could also customize the walk, and I believe there was a lot more to it than those two things, I mean if Saints row can do it why cant we have better voice customization options in the sims and allow us to actually choose an origin of accent and more variables in the voice selection and customization process? I think EA Could also spend some time really working on putting more emotions into the acting and design the program to actually choose when to implement those emotional sounds, context, tone, attitude, volume into speech? Like you wouldn't want your sim to sound the same exact way in talking to his son than when he's talking to his spouse in bed while they're making out? I just want conversations and interactions between sims to feel more impactful and what I said above I think is a step in the right direction to accomplishing that from a developer's view point.

Vacations never really felt like vacations, no beaches… no hotels, no rental cars, no airports and lost luggage no family on a break tourism taking pictures and being a family together enjoying things. No cruises either… where are my wonderful sea voyages? Stop making excuses EA and live up to expectations… you’ve made enough money off of us to cover the costs of this kind of development, now deliver!

I thought Ambitions was a decent expansion aside from in the fire department my sim is the only one actually fighting fires! And when my sim is off duty or is in a different career fire fighting and disasters don’t ever happen. Another thing is with how many times I see cars go through one another and collide but then don’t at the same time… I thought maybe EA would have gone the little extra mile to make those more random occurrences and actually build out meshes that even if the cars always hit each other in the same scripted prefabbed ways and not much variety that’s still appreciated more so than not at all. It would have added variety to both the fire fighter and police officer careers and even the doctor career as at the beginning of the career your ride is an ambulance and you are an EMT essentially. That and the firefighters being called out for random old ladies and men with broken hips and heart attacks would have been funny thrown in there with all the earth quakes structural fires and other occurrences.

In build mode I liked how customizable everything was, though, to be honest it took me a hell of a long time really delve that deep into the game. It took me till Late Night to really finally sit down and make a building I’m proud of. Though now I’m noticing all kind of things buggy with the CAS and build mode, too many to list. My biggest problem with Night Life is that they took all the things away that made apartment living fun. Like the fact that the apartments were all occupied and a live more people coming and going with their lives… people would use the pools, playgrounds, and hot tubs available on the property. You could actually choose which apartment in the building amongst the vacant ones to live in. Also if a sim invited you inside the dark floor would reveal itself to be a whole furnished lived in apartment. It for me really made it feel like it was real.

Nevermind that the mockscrapers in the city are buggy as hell sometimes and wont disappear very quickly at all when I want to go back to the inside of my apartment. Camera angles are still all kinds of Effed on higher floors like that… the whole ground to mid air thing, the camera system never seems to want to behave the way I want or need it too. Always falling back to the ground or going up to the top floor very inappropriately. Or how about the fat the all on their own the Luxury high rise apartment building or condo is just an empty shell covering two rooms, the lobby (With no one in it!!! Where’s the staff?!) and the floating room at the top which is where your sim is supposed to live that gives me no ability to customize it what so ever without using cheats and having my sim live there already!

Even in the edit town mode I couldn’t edit skipped, or hidden rooms because guess what the cheat, RestrictBuilBuyInBuildings off, is not available in the edit town/buildbuy on lot mode… nope tried it! Didn’t work, Had to move my sim in, in order to get that to modify the rest of the unused empty wasted space. The buydebug cheat doesn’t work either unless your sim is their living on the property.

When will EA get it that we want to build cities that rival our own in the real world? When will EA get it that amongst a forest of 20 story or higher luxury faux-miniums in Bridgeport or whatever city, that people want more than five floors EA! I know you were trying to save us one… Yeah big brother EA looking out for us consumers and spenders. Don’t want us to mess up our computers and burn them out with unnecessary processing of floors on buildings which are empty and useless, but honestly it should be my choice as the player whether to mess up my machine building 100x 1k story sky scrapers!!!! *Rips hair out in frustration!!!!*

That urks me! I mean I’m seriously ready to pay someone to go in and core mod that right the hell out of my game! No place in my game for floor restrictions. And what about skylights? When are we going to have a tool in game made for us to open up our big beautiful kitchens, bathrooms, living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms and whatever to the sky!? I mean I know the weather system is coming one of these years in an expansion and when they do I want my sims to be looking up at the sky from their warm cozy kitchen watching the rain fall down onto their skylight.

All in all this game isn’t bad enough that I won’t play it but I think EA dun messed up big time in my book with those things. And I agree That EA just needs to take one for the Team and learn a valuable lesson here... possibly read this very threat too while they're at it! Or they just need to tank it on an EP really hard!

Quote: Originally posted by idontnoWHOiam
Unfortunately I think the problem is The Sims franchise is so popular that EA knows they don't have to work very hard to make millions of dollars. Sure they could make the game better, but what's in it for them if most sim fans will buy anything they come out with anyway?... I just feel like EA is being way too stingy when it comes to development, and I actually kind of hope one of the future EPs is a sales failure so they finally get the point.

EA really needs to figure out that those features are not always what are the most important things to all of us players… Like they have their priorities all screwed up… Animals and pets should have been in the first one because really? Who cares about pets, they’re like babies in the game, you take care of them, they give you funny moments and then poof their gone or grown up or they urinate all over your carpets, What I want to pay for is all the minor most important details being fixed and perfected… Like the genetics system and a well rounded build mode? Or how about rounded walls? That we can hang things on? Because I remember a time when you could not build on diagonal walls and then I remember a time when you couldn’t place things on them either but then you could at least build on them.

Or like what ever happened to being able to select the height at which you hang things on walls so that you can hang multiple things on them? How about the ability to easily within game select family photos to put in the picture frames that you buy instead of the stock photos of some random woman or guy? I have another Idea, what about having a better time system worked out that walking from the master bathroom in the second story of my house to the car pool at the curb doesn’t take 40 in game minutes ( seconds ) !!!!!!! I mean seriously I know they could work out a better time system where my sims have more time in the day to do all the little monotonous routine things?

It sucks that when my sim gets off of work it takes and hour and a half to get home, and another two hours to use the bathroom, take a shower, and get ready to go out to a bar and drink on drink which takes an additional half an hour of travel time, and extra twenty minutes to get inside the building, up to the 21st floor, past the bouncer, and to the bar to take another twenty minutes to drink the drink and then its closing, no enjoyment of the music no bubbles no dancing no schmoozing and being a popular superstar actor… nothing just one drink.

It's ridiculous! I’ve always hated how long it takes to do things… I mean I spend hours at a time on the game anyways… the fact that a minute in the game takes 10 – 30 seconds of my real time doesn’t bother me that’s what fast forwarding is for, I can queue up and skip forward through all the eating sleeping, cleaning, showering getting dressed walking out the door driving to work stuff.

Oh and a better like 30x skip would be nice… have it literally skip whole thirty seconds at a time would make my game play a lot faster! I hate sitting through 3 hours of real time game play devoted to advancing critical sim skills to max. I feel as though a lot of my experience in game is just lost to working out reading practicing and other things as well as all the other routine cooking cleaning things… if the game just gave you more time and better faster skipping abilities I would spend a lot more time focused on the parts that I actually enjoy.

Anyways that’s my little rant!

Umbrella "Improving medicine one life at a time!"
Retired
retired moderator
#108 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 1:35 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 30th Mar 2011 at 2:09 PM.
Wow, that's a REALLY long rant, and normally I'm deeply opposed to just tl;dr-ing my way through forums. And admission of piracy couched in it too. You do know that's illegal and not something to bandy about on forums, right?

Edit: Look, I'm not a mod, and mods I apologise for mini-modding, but psyckorious you really ought to read (or reread) the forum rules.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Test Subject
#109 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 2:35 PM Last edited by psyckorious : 30th Mar 2011 at 3:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
I'm deeply opposed to just ""tl;dr-ing"" my way through forums.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?!?!?!?!?!-----^ *Rips hair out.*

Umbrella "Improving medicine one life at a time!"
Alchemist
#110 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Un1ty
The thing i miss most about the sims 2 is when a family member would come home from a hard days work there partner would run up to them and give them a kiss and a hug or the children would come running.
Also drive in drive ways instead of the cars just appearing?
I also hate vampires seriously they have no place in my sims game, if i could i would delete them all.
I love the sims 3 just because you can go where ever and it looks alot better I can build houses that look better then sims 2 houses aswell as people.
I haven't had any problems with corruption or anything apart from the game crashed 3 times in a row once probably due to bad cc.

If you don't like the game shut up and move on to that stupid internet thing, I have had the sims all the way from the original sims 1 to sims 3 and this one is the best of them all. The only game i refuse to buy even though i want the content is WA i hate the concept seriously who goes on adventures like that? nobody.
AND i hated aliens in sims 2 and i hate the stupid vampires in LN!!! or did i say that already?

Wow that's amazing. I agree with everything you put in that post. Are you my long lost sister or something
Retired
retired moderator
#111 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 3:53 PM
tl;dr - too long; didn't read, often pronounced "teal deer".

These things are only a short google away. ^_^

Instructor
#112 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 4:20 PM
Psykorious, that post was long. But I read it. It would be impossible for EA to fix every issue you mentioned, although I do think they could have done some of those things better.

Some of those issues can be solved with mods:

Elevator Speed - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=433745

Showering/etc. takes too long - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=430423

As far your having trouble with editing lots your Sim doesn't live in, or buydebug, I think you're doing something wrong.

Try typing in testingcheatsenabled true before using buy debug true or restrictbuildbuyinbuildings false. I also haven't ever had trouble with those commands regardless of whether it was in-game, Edit-Town mode, or even EIG mode (CAW only).

It won't solve the 5 floors and one usable apartment limitations, but it should help with the other things.

There's no way around those two limitations unless someone can completely rewrite the EXE (not possible since TS3 like most games are closed-source), or hopefully EA will release those features in later EPs. In TS2 that's what they did. There are core mods, but I don't know if that method would allow players to get around these limitations. Even if they could, such structures would likely conflict with the implementation that EA would use, if they ever release those features.
Alchemist
#113 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 7:19 PM
Sorry dude because you don't like what they did with TS3 doesn't make them a bad company. I just got Crysis 2 last night and that game kicks ass
Top Secret Researcher
#114 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 7:20 PM
The Sims community is a living example that you don't need millions of dollars to fix and resolve issues with EAtards' crappy coding. So, it seems rather an issue of laziness on their part really.
Instructor
#115 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by psyckorious
Yes yes I know that there are mods for these things, but a better question to those who so quickly point out that there are mods, there are not mods to fix everything and at what point do we stop defending the game company for giving us shoddy half a**ed games and cleaning up after them making mods to fix things they should have spent more time developing or researching and demand that they fix these issues?

I recommend mods to people because they will solve at least some of the problems. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I do understand and agree with your broader point though. That the game should simply have fewer bugs from the outset. I more or less deal with them since I really like the game concept. I've liked TS3 as soon as I started playing it. With that said, if I was CEO/President/Head Honcho or even a VP for just this game series, I would have had stricter standards in terms of the number of bugs. But that's just me.

I also have to wonder who was in charge of testing/QA (Quality Assurance). One minor example is the Base Camp in Shang Simla. There's a gazebo-like structure between the front door of the base camp and the base of that mountain. If you focus the camera on it, and then position the camera so it faces toward the city, you will notice a piece of foundation that isn't covered with the proper texture. That was somehow missed, and it's something that they could have fixed within half a minute.
Fresh fruit from the bigot tree
#116 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 8:58 PM
Generations. Please EA! I do not live in usa. In my country, we do not do the "bag on fire in your door" or "stink bomb" prank! Our teen-parties are very different (mostly the quiet "invited a buch of friends to sleep in my house and watch movies the whole night" type of party), the graduation parties are nothing like I saw in the video, and unlike most of the things that come with the sims, I can't turn these new things into something I like more.
I wish EA just did more work in letting anyone shape things the way they want. I have a good imagination, but these pranks, parties and graduations are too far from my own culture. I can't just "imagine" they are something else I like more.
What is next ea? School bullies stealing other children lunch, and cheerleaders shrieking all around in my "clearly-not-usa shaped neighborhood?

Do not install pescado's mod. It is the one producing the errors it warns you about. Get Twallan's instead. It cleans your save file and prevents glitches.
Test Subject
#117 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
Wow that's amazing. I agree with everything you put in that post. Are you my long lost sister or something

Maybee! haha

Another thing i think they did really badly is if you have a family of say 4 they won't all sit down at the table together, 1 or 2 would go to the outside table or something
and those tables arnt wide enough i dont know, my table is wider then the ones in game...
Mad Poster
#118 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 9:22 PM
Maybee! haha

Another thing i think they did really badly is if you have a family of say 4 they won't all sit down at the table together, 1 or 2 would go to the outside table or something
and those tables arnt wide enough i dont know, my table is wider then the ones in game...

I think there may be some coding with the tables. I have a sim, living alone, who has a table in the kitchen and a table on the porch behind the house. 99% of the time she chooses the table outside instead of the one in her kitchen. I just attributed this to her "personality". Hopefully, when weather does come along, she won't choose to have dinner outside during a storm or something.
Top Secret Researcher
#119 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 11:33 PM
The worst thing they did was probably make rabbit holes; this is what makes most of the game boring, in my opinion.

ENTJ
Test Subject
#120 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 12:14 AM
What always bothered me are all these nice decorative objects that can not be used.
It would be so much fun if your Sim could put a cd in the cd player, use the tools to repair something (instead of pulling some out of his magic pants), dry his hands with a towel, read magazins or make an antfarm with all the little bugs he finds.
It's not as if they needed so many new animations for it.
Instead we get a stuff pack with decorative drinks, a decorative fruit bowl and a decorative garden tool set, how nice.
Scholar
#121 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 7:08 AM
...If you don't like the game shut up and move on to that stupid internet thing, I have had the sims all the way from the original sims 1 to sims 3 and this one is the best of them all...

If you don't like people expressing their opinions than perhaps you should forgo forums rather than telling people who don't agree with you to "shut up". Everyone is entitled to their opinion and has the right to express it. I've played The Sims since TS1 and I don't think TS3 is the best -- it may be the best looking version but the TS3 sims themselves are still rather vacant and unresponsive.

Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Wow, that's a REALLY long rant, and normally I'm deeply opposed to just tl;dr-ing my way through forums. And admission of piracy couched in it too. You do know that's illegal and not something to bandy about on forums, right?

Edit: Look, I'm not a mod, and mods I apologise for mini-modding, but psyckorious you really ought to read (or reread) the forum rules.

"Telling tales out of school"? I didn't notice any "couched" piracy in psyckorious rant. Perhaps that was just how you interpretted whatever you were alluding too (unimportant). But as you said--you're not a mod. Me either.

I think psyckorious had some good valid points and I prefer reading an intelligent post of any length over empty, air-head posts.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Retired
retired moderator
#122 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 8:11 AM
Suzetter, psyckiorious removed their comments about only ever downloading the game illegally after my comments.

Theorist
#123 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rafe Weisz
Generations. Please EA! I do not live in usa. In my country, we do not do the "bag on fire in your door" or "stink bomb" prank! Our teen-parties are very different (mostly the quiet "invited a buch of friends to sleep in my house and watch movies the whole night" type of party), the graduation parties are nothing like I saw in the video, and unlike most of the things that come with the sims, I can't turn these new things into something I like more.
I wish EA just did more work in letting anyone shape things the way they want. I have a good imagination, but these pranks, parties and graduations are too far from my own culture. I can't just "imagine" they are something else I like more.
What is next ea? School bullies stealing other children lunch, and cheerleaders shrieking all around in my "clearly-not-usa shaped neighborhood?

I'm in the USA, and nobody I know has ever done the flaming bag of poo or stink bomb pranks either. No one I know has ever even heard stories of real people having performed these pranks. The type of sleepover you've described is much more typical in the USA as well. I think the pranks are just a reference to popular movies or comedies. I believe the bag of poo prank was popularized by the 1995 movie Billy Madison, although I think variations of the actual prank have been around since the 19th century. Mainly, I think those pranks are in the game because they're funny, which I think is the point. A quiet sleepover with sims watching TV, well, that's rather boring and you can do that without an EP.
School bullies stealing other children's lunch also comes from movies/TV. That doesn't really happen here. Back in the old days when I was a kid, bullies would just tease and harass. These days, I think bullies tease, harass, and cyberbully the victim until the victim kills him/herself or takes a gun to school.

Hey, just be glad they didn't give sims the ability to leave an upper-decker.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#124 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 4:14 PM
Quote:
GnatGoSplat

School bullies stealing other children's lunch also comes from movies/TV. That doesn't really happen here. Back in the old days when I was a kid, bullies would just tease and harass

Actually, during the '50's thru the '80's having one's lunch stolen by bullies at school was not that rare an occurance. While I never suffered having it done, I knew of people who had. Not to mention that there were episodes of "The Partridge Family", "Family Affair", "The Brady Bunch" and other popular television series of the eras (yes, I was a youngster during the '70's) that portrayed bullying in that exact manner.

It isn't something I'd like to see in a future expansion pack. Even though we had the "flaming bag of poo" in NightLife for Sims 2, I never had it happen. I'd never heard of any such thing until it was introduced in NightLife. But then, I grew up in a small rural town in the Pacific Northwest.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Mad Poster
#125 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 4:46 PM
The thing about culture is that there is so much variation amongst what is the "norm" for certain events that it would be impossible for EA to make a game which was culturally relevant everywhere. There are plenty of things in the game which, whilst true for the US, aren't true for the UK (where I live). But so what? It's a game which is developed in the US and so it's going to fit that culture's norms.

In the UK we drive on the left-hand side of the road, not the right, like they do in Sims. We don't graduate from school, we only graduate from university. Teenagers don't drive (you can learn at 17 but most people don't actually pass until they're 18 which is an adult by The Sims' standards). Terraced or semi-detached housing is the norm, detached housing is not that common. It would be rare for a teen parties to involve kegs and bands. We don't use the same terminology that is used in The Sims, i.e "go steady".
Page 5 of 13