Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 8:36 PM
oh. sorry for ranting. lol

Anyway, I just loaded up Barnacle Bay because I remember being really frustrated with the lack of seeds etc but I also remember later finding tons, without cheats and without needing to place them myself. In Barnacle Bay, if your sim has the "collection helper" lifetime reward and you click on it and then click on "fish", suddenly you will see plenty of fish. Part of the problem is that with Sunset Valley, EA put the spawners in obvious locations (by the side of the road and right by the prettiest part of the various beaches) but with Barnacle Bay they put the spawners in locations which are not as obvious. Or something. Anyway, "collection helper" is your friend.

Btw, one of the "perfect garden" lots has chests full of other goodies included with the lot, and the creator of the one I downloaded managed somehow to put a "collection helper" reward in a chest. Think I got that one from TSR, it's a small lot, only 10 or 20 x 15.
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 8:41 PM
I kind of like it, I think I might murder that fugly mansion, but I like the format. It doesn't look too big either
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#78 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 9:22 PM
There are actually a lot more things (or not, depending on your viewpoint) in Barnacle Bay that make it a prime example of careless world creation:
The lack of seeds has already been mentioned, but there is also a lack in wild growing harvestables, no Death Flower, a camp ground with hardly enough space to set up tent because of the proliferation of umbrellas and barbecues, a library with a plethora of skill books but no children's book cases, houses that were built on uneven ground (which resulted in wonky walls), broken road maps, horrible placement of Ambition lots, every pre-made ghost exists twice and above all: Everyone is a celebrity, literally everyone except for the service staff, as soon as you install LN.
And for those who use a custom Story Progression it is a nightmare. Not a single Sim has the job that matches their LTW, and not a single Sim has traits that matches either their job or their LTW.
This world really needs a lot of mastercontrolling.
Forum Resident
#79 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 10:21 PM
Hey, at least BB HAS skilling books in their library. EA misses that too often.
Alchemist
#80 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coffeebreak
oh. sorry for ranting. lol

Anyway, I just loaded up Barnacle Bay because I remember being really frustrated with the lack of seeds etc but I also remember later finding tons, without cheats and without needing to place them myself. In Barnacle Bay, if your sim has the "collection helper" lifetime reward and you click on it and then click on "fish", suddenly you will see plenty of fish. Part of the problem is that with Sunset Valley, EA put the spawners in obvious locations (by the side of the road and right by the prettiest part of the various beaches) but with Barnacle Bay they put the spawners in locations which are not as obvious. Or something. Anyway, "collection helper" is your friend.

Yeah, I guess putting fish spawners in a lot zoned as a 'fishing spot' is too obvious.
I was aware that were fish spawners in BB, mostly in the ocean. My gripe was that zoned fishing spots didn't have fish spawners in them (as well as that one fishing spot that didn't even have water). That kind of sloppy work would draw criticism in a player made world offered for free, but it's okay for EA to charge money for it.
And that was never my only complaint about that town, babele brings up several other examples of sloppy work on EA's part.

If a player created a world with a ton of similar issues, I'd be less likely to DL any future worlds they offered. But I would at least have not paid money for it.
I bought Barnacle Bay from EA and pretty quickly got the impression that it was unfinished and lower in quality than other worlds made by players for free.
So, I'm less willing to trust that EA's new town is gong to be built any better. As with the houses they include in new eps, it's likely to heavily showcase new features while ignoring what Sims require for basic living.
If I do buy it, it won't be for the town itself, but for the new items that come with it.
Field Researcher
#81 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 1:24 AM
I think it sounds kind of cool. Probably won't buy it for the predicted price, and I understand the skepticism, but the world tool doesn't work for me so I'm always a bit optimistic about new worlds. I'm very curious about the magic springs thing, and I hope that if nothing else this is hinting toward seasons in the future.
Field Researcher
#82 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 3:21 AM
I thought it was pretty. The simple house designs don't really bother me - I like decorating myself and if all the houses were awesome like many CC made houses, mine would look terrible :p

I've never played in Barnacle Bay, so I don't know about any bugs or annoyances. But then I rather like Twinbrook because of the swamp, and apparently that makes me strange. So i guess liking the looks of this one isn't that surprising
Forum Resident
#83 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 4:37 AM
The description of Hidden Springs is certainly intriguing, and I think the landscape is pretty. Tho that mansion IS really fugly. I wonder if it can be blown up by inventor Sims. lol. That'd be fun to watch. Or maybe a Pyromaniac can set fire to it.
When I read that part about the "mystery beneath the waters", I instantly thought 'MERMAIDS!' Now that would be cool.
Despite my better judgment (extremely disappointed by BB), I'll probably buy this, because I'm a greedy "stuff" whore. haha. I love having new clothes, hair and objects for my Sims.
Kudos to EA if they actually slip in something worthwhile with this new world (i.e. new gameplay or new creature/monster/subhuman). I just hope they have a decent amount of empty lots so I can actually manage to build a downtown area (and studio) without having to try in vain to recreate the terrain so that all my placed buildings aren't at the top of a friggin' cliff! Sure do miss the good ol' days of Sims 1 where you could place as many lots as you had room for and the terrain would automatically revamp itself so that the lot looked natural. Why couldn't they have allowed that in S3? I really hate having to scrounge for some flat land to build on. Here's a suggestion, EA: How about allowing us to remodel the WHOLE terrain in existing worlds, instead of just individual lots, so that we have more freedom to build? That would make my day!
Instructor
#84 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 6:38 AM
IGN has a preview here. Here's the interesting stuff:
  • 50 playable Sims
  • 15 decoration items
  • 6 outfits

Here's how the Fountain of Youth will work:
Quote: Originally posted by IGN
If you can find [the Fountain of Youth] (it's tucked away pretty well), your Sim can drink from it and that will prevent aging for 24 hours. You can also take a chance and wish for youth, which will freeze you at your current age if you're a young adult or transform you back to a young adult if your Sim is older. It won't work every time though, and you run the risk of one or your Sims traits being switched to Childish (a.k.a. they'll act like a fool). Worth the risk, in my opinion.

Other sites have more previews, but they do not contain new information.
Inventor
#85 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 10:25 AM Last edited by QueenJimmyIV : 6th Aug 2011 at 12:44 PM.
I'll wait and see what people say about it. It seems like there's some kind of new stuff being added in, like a mini-expansion pack or something. The magical springs actually do something and the description hints that you can learn something about health tips... or something. "take your Sim over to the Silver Zephyr Health Spa to help them acquire world renowned techniques in the fields of health and beauty" - It's like maybe they can learn how to give different kinds of massages... or something. It's rather vague, but it seems to hint that your sim can learn new tricks at this spa. That would be pretty neat. I'm also interested in the Museum of Magic and Supernatural and these magic springs. I'm also interested in those green people and what they mean. If they're a new lifestate like Plantsims, then that would be lovely! I won't hold my breath, since EA tends to creatively advertise things that aren't true to form in regards to actual gameplay. Still... it would be awesome if they were Plantsims!

I would love if they created mini-expansion packs and/or items with new gameplay, like the spellbook and such. It would actually draw in a person like me to purchase things at the store.

EDIT: Eggplants aren't already harvestable veggies? I play with the mod that opens up all the possible plants, so I haven't really noticed what is and isn't on the official list these days. It would seem strange that the little girl is holding one if they aren't a harvestable plant in the game... unless an idle animation for Vegetarians is to pluck one from their pocket and eat it. I don't tend to make Vegetarian sims a lot. Maybe we'll get some more plants with this world? I'm a little excited now.

EDIT 2: Found this:

Quote:
Celebrities and the rich flock to Hidden Springs in search of relaxation and escape from the mundane. Many cannot resist rumors of the seemingly miraculous healing powers that linger in the woods and waters. Some of the townsfolk who live in the woods are highly secretive and seem to have a pale green tinge to them. Is it really magic at work?

When you’re in Hidden Springs, you can explore a stunning lakefront, relax at a luxury spa or ski lodge, escape into the woods, or even uncover ancient mysterious at the Museum of Magic and Supernatural. What will you find in Hidden Springs?

Quote:
  • A Whole New World Awaits - Meet new Sims, explore new locations, and become forever young when you discover the mysterious healing powers of Hidden Springs.
  • Become Forever Young - Will your Sims uncover the curious magical properties of Hidden Springs? Explore the World and you might discover rejuvenating waters, drink from the Fountain of Youth and your Sims wishes just might come true.
  • Explore New Locations - Hidden Springs is full of all-new locations, lots, and venues. Where will your adventures take you?
  • Mingle with the social elites at the Redwood Heights Luxury Lodge.
  • Experience true balance and well being as you bask in the ambiance of the Crystal Solarium Rejuvenating Waters.
  • Take imagination to another dimension of fun and fairy mischief at Fairyfolk Park.
  • Or, head to the Silver Zephyr Health Spa to discover world renowned techniques in the fields of health and beauty.
  • Exclusive New Items - Customize your game with dozens of all-new exclusive objects, clothing and hair that are only available with Hidden Springs.
  • All-New Sims and Stories - An exclusive retreat for the rich and the famous? Or a mysterious World with curious healing powers? Whatever the answer, one thing is certain: the Sims you meet in Hidden Springs will have all-new stories that are out of this World.
  • The Sims 3 Hidden Springs will be available August 25th at The Sims 3 Store.

So are they aliens, plantsims, or fairies? Or just green sims with some traits and a vague bio that hints at a different lifestate but doesn't actually give it to us? :P

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Field Researcher
#86 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 4:20 PM
I wish there are fairies too! since there is a fairy folk park. I think what they sell in the store gives us hint in their future releases.
Forum Resident
#87 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 8:46 PM
The inclusion of Fairyfolk Park makes me wonder if the people that live in the woods are fae. That would make sense to me, considering the healing properties of Hidden Springs, and the vague implication of other magic. If that's true, then I will definitely buy it, since fairies are creatures that haven't been seen since Makin' Magic. (Remember Mara the fairy queen, the NPC in Magic Town?)
Inventor
#88 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 9:46 PM
http://www.simprograms.com/32429/sp...gs-for-1000-sp/

Perhaps only 1000 simpoints?

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Mad Poster
#89 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 6:10 AM
Could it be possible that some of the green some of the green Sims from Hidden Springs managed to get to Twinbrook, where they we're killed for knowing/practicing magic. It would certain not be true, but could explain why the dead Sims in town are green. They could add a lot, story wise, to the world and connect to Twinbrook and Bridgeport (to make the Sims world feel whole), but they wont.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#90 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 8:10 AM
My guess is those family just have an interesting story for us to read, like the "family description", and the Forever Young is not new, we already have the Age Freeze Potion. I would be thrilled if they add any new creature like fairy or plant sim.
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 8:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Could it be possible that some of the green some of the green Sims from Hidden Springs managed to get to Twinbrook, where they we're killed for knowing/practicing magic. It would certain not be true, but could explain why the dead Sims in town are green. They could add a lot, story wise, to the world and connect to Twinbrook and Bridgeport (to make the Sims world feel whole), but they wont.

Or those dead sims happened to have food poisoning when they died.
Kidding, kidding.
Interesting theory, though.
Forum Resident
#92 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 7:33 PM
I wish they'd release some more pictures or information on this already. It's hard to get hyped up about something I keep forgetting is going to be out.
Mad Poster
#93 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 7:04 AM
I googled "Hidden Springs".

The first link to pop up was a resort.

Test Subject
#94 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 9:10 PM
im going to buy this...i've bought every other EP/SP since sims 1...why stop now? me not buying a 20 dollar expansion is not going to teach EA a lesson in making a better release so i would really only be punishing myself. Will it add anything to the game...of course...will i notice what it adds to this bloated game? only on the off chance i use the "ep/sp filter" (which i just discovered this week...no idea how long it's been there...but it's neat) EA doesn't care if i buy this thing or not...in fact all of us...and all of everyone we know could NOT buy this game and it still wouldn't make a difference.

i bought barnacle bay...and the only thing i know for sure that i've used from that whole thing is the ship's wheel that hangs on the wall (wait...was that from bb or was that cc? aw crap now i'm not sure) i've never loaded the actual barnacle bay world...so i can't speak on any of the slopiness or short comings...and i probably wouldn't even notice them. I've played this game one way and one way only since the sims 1...and it never includes exploring (though i made an exception for WA but it was short lived once i found the code to let me buy the stuff from WA)

i support EA because they support my addiction, it's win win...as long as they keep making this crap i'll keep buying it, custom content creators will keep making the quality stuff that EA has yet to prove that they themselves can do.
Forum Resident
#95 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xa-n-ax
im going to buy this...i've bought every other EP/SP since sims 1...why stop now? me not buying a 20 dollar expansion is not going to teach EA a lesson in making a better release so i would really only be punishing myself. Will it add anything to the game...of course...will i notice what it adds to this bloated game? only on the off chance i use the "ep/sp filter" (which i just discovered this week...no idea how long it's been there...but it's neat) EA doesn't care if i buy this thing or not...in fact all of us...and all of everyone we know could NOT buy this game and it still wouldn't make a difference.

i bought barnacle bay...and the only thing i know for sure that i've used from that whole thing is the ship's wheel that hangs on the wall (wait...was that from bb or was that cc? aw crap now i'm not sure) i've never loaded the actual barnacle bay world...so i can't speak on any of the slopiness or short comings...and i probably wouldn't even notice them. I've played this game one way and one way only since the sims 1...and it never includes exploring (though i made an exception for WA but it was short lived once i found the code to let me buy the stuff from WA)

i support EA because they support my addiction, it's win win...as long as they keep making this crap i'll keep buying it, custom content creators will keep making the quality stuff that EA has yet to prove that they themselves can do.

I call it my addiction that wont quit.. Is there an AA for sims player.. Yeah it called the exchange, And I never learn.. Down load something from there and watch your game get borked.. I will buy the thing.. Hate myself.. Kill a couple of sims feel better.. Buy some more crap.. and well the spiral down continues.

I hate you Ea.. So who is buying pets... I am cause, yes I am just this stupid..
Theorist
#96 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 12:13 AM
So I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but EA posted a new picture of an angled overview of Hidden Springs, over on The Sims 3 Page. And..

"Hey Simmers! Want to know more about Hidden Springs? Join us tomorrow, August 12th at 10AM PST for our live broadcast with producer Azure Bowie-Hankins where she'll give you a tour of this new world for your Sims and answer your questions! http://www.ea.com/1/sims-3-hid​den-springs-chat"
Top Secret Researcher
#97 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
So I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but EA posted a new picture of an angled overview of Hidden Springs, over on The Sims 3 Page. And..

"Hey Simmers! Want to know more about Hidden Springs? Join us tomorrow, August 12th at 10AM PST for our live broadcast with producer Azure Bowie-Hankins where she'll give you a tour of this new world for your Sims and answer your questions! http://www.ea.com/1/sims-3-hid​den-springs-chat"

If I had time tomorrow for this I would ask: Will Unicorn Springs suck as hard as Barnacle Bay?

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Instructor
#98 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 7:36 AM
Great, another oppurtunity for EA to rip everyone off.
Yes, it looks nice, but for 2000 simpoints? That's what, £14? Sorry EA, but I'm not paying that much for a world which will inevitably add next to no new features to my game, and will probably also have terrible routing and be full of bugs.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Mad Poster
#99 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 7:02 PM
I watched the chat. Looks very nice. ^_^

There are a bunch of hangouts and nice places to go and see. The one Story (among the many in town that I like) is the family old Woman, who didn't have children who adopted twins separated at birth, and their parents are buried in the town graveyard. *sniff*

Also... the fountain of youth is expensive as shit! 459,000 simoleons. Oh... the price of youth...

I DO like the new build items. I saw a fence, 2 doors, a window and I got word of an arch. Also a lamp and an awning. now, the other 8 are MIA. :p

I like what I saw :D

Scholar
#100 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 8:13 PM
I have to say it looks pretty nice. I never like to play with EAxis's lots or Sims, so whenever I load a new town (whether it be Sunset Valley, Bridgeport, or anything else) I have to move everyone out and demolish everything that isn't a rabbithole. I do enjoy player-made worlds, but I agree that it can be hard on computers like mine, with excessive shrubbery and decor items. (I won't even play my own houses for this reason but moderators seem to like lots of shrubbery. Well, it does make it look better...) This neighborhood actually does look kind of nice, but I'm not sure I'll pay $20 for it. Then again, maybe I will, since I'm such a sucker for anything sims. XD I don't really want a new creature/huge element of gameplay in a store pack--I'd rather buy it on Amazon in a CD format.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Page 4 of 13