Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 8:49 PM
Default Could religion work in the Sims?
Could religion exist in the Sims without causing a massive disturbance among the players of the game? The answer is quite simply, yes, but it would need to be tweaked and balanced so no faith is unfairly good or unfairly bad, not to mention most of the part that would add in religion would be quite simple, adding in holy texts, option to pick a faith in CAS (IT MUST BE OPTIONAL), and some praying animations, along with certain effects from doing the praying. I have been working on a plan for months, when the idea first struck me, whether or not religion could exist in the Sims without causing an issue, unfortunately, we will probably not be getting an actual EA version of Sims Religion until Sims 5 or a Sims 4 EP at best, due to Sims 3 going to soon be obsolete, and how far the base game of Sims 4 is already developed. and EA would need to find and hire a team, JUST to develop the Religion mechanic, as it would need to be quite complex to work equally and correctly. The best we will have until Sims 4 EP or Sims 5 would be a large scale mod, and I don't mean just adding in the bible and the Qur'an and calling it good, I mean a large scale mod that will probably require multiple modders with different skill working together. So you are probably thinking; "But one faith would be unfairly represented, right?" Wrong, simply put, if a Sim is religious, performing a prayer, ritual, meditation, etc. will bring a positive moodlet called "Watched Over" from the Sim feeling a higher being is keeping them safe and guiding them. There cannot be any physical or actual foreseen benefits, or else there would be a clear bias as to which faith is true. It would also have to implement many lot builders, to create mosques, churches, cathedrals, synagogues, stupas, etc. so each faith has a building to pray and worship. As well as each neighborhood would need to have one NPC of every faith included in order to provide a nonbiased environment, as much as Appaloosa Plains is obviously representing small town America, making them all strict protestant Christians would make life quite awkward if someone was playing as a Muslim family living in the region. Please, this is not my entire idea, if you are interested in hearing out more or have a question I have not answered and want answered please ask, I would be more than happy to help, especially if it leads to a religion mod being created.
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 9:11 PM
Er, this was debated for 16 some pages back in this thread, http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...hlight=religion
Field Researcher
#3 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 9:20 PM
Why? Why do we need it? We have enough problems in real life as it is, we don't need it in our games too.
just a girl
#4 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 9:31 PM
My sims actually already have religion, and the God name is "Maxis". "Saint EAs" also are part of, say, Olympus. IMO, this is the only kind of religion that fits pixel people.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 9:54 PM
My first thoughts are why would you make this your first post? Mods do not normally cause any kind of 'massive disturbance' because people download what they want and avoid what they don't want. If you are wanting to make such a mod you would probably be best served by uploading one of your own well made mods first so people know you know what you are doing and then making a modding group. I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in a well made religion mod, but discussion isn't the place you do that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#6 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 10:46 PM
The only religion in Sims3 is "Twallanism"
Scholar
#7 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 10:55 PM Last edited by Lord St.Croix : 15th Feb 2014 at 2:07 AM.
Religion wouldn't work in-game; EA has managed to keep the games neutral in most things, but if they added religion, it no longer be so unless they added literally every religion or an expy of it.

Still, as far as my games go, I imagine my sims are Christians as I am, and I do build churches in every town
Scholar
#8 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 12:57 AM
Nah, I don't see why it's necessary. I do like building churches sometimes though and use custom objects for that.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 3:15 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 10th Feb 2014 at 4:13 AM. Reason: Merged posts: 4327930, 4327932, 4327933, 4327934, 4327935
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
My first thoughts are why would you make this your first post? Mods do not normally cause any kind of 'massive disturbance' because people download what they want and avoid what they don't want. If you are wanting to make such a mod you would probably be best served by uploading one of your own well made mods first so people know you know what you are doing and then making a modding group. I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in a well made religion mod, but discussion isn't the place you do that.

I meant the disturbance as in if Maxis incorporated it a different way. Obviously, you are right, a mod is completely optional of course. The problem with starting up a mod is that my ability to mod the Sims is atrocious at best, I was hoping to get a group together here with people that actually have ability.

Quote: Originally posted by Lord St.Croix
Religion wouldn't work in-game; EA has managed to keep the games neutral in most things, but if they added religion, it no longer be so unless they added literally every religion or an expy of it.

There are only about 40-50 faiths on the Earth that are widely practiced, many others, having no or few members. They would not need to add every faith, just many of them, hence why it would take a separate team just to incorporate them all at EA. The game could easily remain neutral, I am not pushing for a religious extremism feature, like I said, I have balanced every religion in my plan so that none of them are clearly better. Each has flaws and strengths, but in a mod, the beauty is, people don't have to download it until they are impressed with what we have, maybe an earlier version would have only 10 faiths in the mod, while a few versions later there could be 30 because of the progress. A mod is the only viable option to add religion into the game probably until a later SIms 4 EP or Sims 5, and even then EA will probably still stay away from it, and again, it being a mod makes it optional, thus making it the perfect way to pioneer such a feature without offending everyone that plays the game.

Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
Nah, I don't see why it's necessary. I do like building churches sometimes though and use custom objects for that.

I want to add it in as like when you pray, you get positive mood because you feel like you're being watched over, or you get positive mood from reading your Sims' chosen faith's holy text. Or if your Sim is an Atheist, they don't get a boost because they simply just don't believe it. I would have the faiths be a trait, so you don't have to pick one if you don't want to, but the option can still be there, and later in the game you can convert by trading off a trait to replace it with that religion's trait. Maybe the trait boost would vary based on faith, like a Wiccan might feel positive and happy outside, and take on alchemy easier, and a Christian feels guilt for doing immoral things (which I think each religion's followers could get), and feels comfortable in church settings or while reading the bible. I would implement it as a minor feature, maybe diving into more detail and adding more features as the feature gains more popularity and traction due to people wanting more from the feature.

Quote: Originally posted by Baiaana
The only religion in Sims3 is "Twallanism"

Explain "Twallanism" lol

Quote: Originally posted by bluegirl45
Why? Why do we need it? We have enough problems in real life as it is, we don't need it in our games too.

I didn't say they should implement bigotry, faith doesn't have to be a bad thing, implement it as a minor feature that can exist with your Sims, but not be a obstacle for them if they choose to ignore it. I have a way that it could work without causing these 'problems' as you state. I do ask, what problems do you really think it could cause in game?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sirz345
I meant the disturbance as in if Maxis incorporated it a different way. Obviously, you are right, a mod is completely optional of course. The problem with starting up a mod is that my ability to mod the Sims is atrocious at best, I was hoping to get a group together here with people that actually have ability.

A small tip, read site rules before you get into trouble. It's against the rules to make requests here, you have to look on the wcif board at creators who take requests and pm someone. You can only get a group together if you yourself a modder who others respect enough to form a group. Secondly you're not allowed to double or in this case quadruple post. Better stop before a moderator comes along with a very large boot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#11 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 4:38 AM Last edited by Fentonparkninja : 10th Feb 2014 at 4:51 AM.
I do ask, what problems do you really think it could cause in game?
Well for one, you'd need service lions in every hood, since whenever someone kindles the wrath of the LORD against them, He either smites or sends lions to fuck them up.

Also you have the random chance of every religious sim suddenly being raptured up to heaven, which sucks if you were almost done with all the mixology challenges on one of them ...
Alchemist
#12 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 5:07 AM
Explain "Twallanism" lol

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/

Haven't you heard? Some Sims have been worshipping him!

Just call me Nikel
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 6:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/

Haven't you heard? Some Sims have been worshipping him!

That's so like a cult, not religion. But sadly, I subscribe to that cult too

Other than that, religion in game ... Well, if you can mod it, it will be in.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 7:32 AM Last edited by r_deNoube : 10th Feb 2014 at 9:11 AM. Reason: Add illustration.
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Other than that, religion in game ... Well, if you can mod it, it will be in.

That is truly the great bottom line of all speculations about mods.

As to Twallanism...
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
That's so like a cult, not religion.

I do not worship Twallan, but I certainly honor him. Statues aren't considered idols where I'm from.

(I have heard of faiths that are leery of three-dimensional figures under the "no idolatry" rule, but I believe that's only applied within houses of worship, not in secular public places.)

Edit: It is true that I have raised a Meetinghouse -- the First Parish in Sunset Valley -- in my game. But the statue of Twallan is not there, it is at the Twallan Sunset Valley National Laboratory (formerly the Landgraab Science Facility), clear across town from First Parish. If the Meetinghouse has any affiliation at all, I suppose it could be listed as "Community of Sims (nonsectarian)". Even so, a portrait of Twallan wouldn't be out of place in the vestibule, because of all that he has done to improve the lives of Sims, and because of the value system that's implied by what we have seen of him.
Screenshots
Scholar
#15 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 7:42 AM
...They would not need to add every faith, just many of them....

...The game could easily remain neutral...

Explain to me how the game would remain neutral if right off the bat, not every faith is added??

I think it's fine if some private citizen decides to invent a mod so that his sims can follow his faith. Whatever floats your boat.

But were EA/Maxis to decide to add only some religions and not others? I think I'd find a way to sue them. I know I'd certainly make a lot of F*****g noise.
Inventor
#16 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 7:58 AM
Spode is the only true religion!

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Scholar
#17 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 8:50 AM
Well, firstly, there is only one god in the Sims: Me. Worship involves pissing me off by getting stuck in places and pedantically remembering how you went to the park that one time and that it is all possible because of me.

Secondly, I consider religion in the game to be the same as disabilities and disease. (Ba-ziiiing! But seriously.) Yeah, it's nice that you'd be able to make a more faithful version of yourself by having sim!you a door knocking, blood transfusion hating Jehova's Witness or deaf in one ear or Jewish-but-I-eat-pork-and-watch-Schindler's List or confined to a wheelchair due to chronic morbid obesity or whatever, but at the end of the day the players are going to be pissed no matter what. "My religion isn't like this!" "I still can't marry three women!" "You don't have my religion's talisman!" "My religion isn't even IN the game!!!"

I can see the end result already. Nobody pleased besides maybe a few of the main religions but they'd be nerfed. Christians will be angry at this, Atheists at that, Agnostics will be all "Yeah, maybe, I don't really know, whatever" at it all. And we'd probably have an entire expansion pack dedicated to getting a moodlet when you pray and the forum drowning in players bitching...more so than usual.

In short, nothnx.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 9:05 AM
You're best off just working any religion you want in the game into your own story-telling and building as best you can.

Do you really want to see what EA would do to religion if they tried to implement it in the Sims?
Alchemist
#19 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 12:24 PM
I don't think it would add that much to the gameplay .. it's not like we need it
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 12:56 PM
Yeah, I think people would freak out if religion were put in, no matter if it was done well.

"There are Muslims, Wiccans, and Satanists in that sim game?! No, we can't have it! I've never played it, but we need to stop the Muslims because this sort of thing inspires tolerance and I don't know what tolerance is but it must be bad because everyone calls me intolerant! Time to crusade against a game I don't play and that doesn't affect me!"

I think there are quite a few sects within each religion, too. In Christianity, you have the Protestants and Catholics - who each have their own subsects - Witnesses, Mormons, and FLDS. Judaism is divided at least into Orthodox, Traditional (?) and Reform. Muslims, there's Shia and Sunni, and probably a few other branches in other countries. Wiccans can be Dianist (worshiping a single goddess) or not (worshiping a god and goddess) and I really don't know that much about divides beyond that. All these sects need representation if you're going to put religion into the game. Atheists can be spiritual or not; some of us are actually religious, but don't believe in a god (following the morality and rituals of a religion, but not actually believing in the god).

How would you deal with inter-faith marriages? Would one sim give up their religion for the other, or would the trappings of both religions apply to them? How does the child choose whether to be in a parents' religion or some other? For that matter, a lot of conversions usually have a catalyst. Are you going to portray divine inspiration to change religion or is it just a choice you can make anytime?
Mad Poster
#21 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 1:26 PM
I could totally see a few fake religions in the game. Considering this is a life simulator, religion is about as important as procreating. Of course, you could be an atheist and be just fine, but we'd be foolish to ignore how prominent religion has been in our society.

Have the sims worship a plumbob or something, give them little quirks and traits, like spiritual sims who pass around good vibes and positive energy.

People are so afraid being offended and offending others - religion is a part of out world. It just adds another layer to the simulation.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 1:50 PM
Some of My sims don't know of Me...I forgive them.
Test Subject
#23 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 2:47 PM
"Fake" religions would be an interesting concept. i.e. having your sims worship anything from a llama god, to the Kraken, to even you yourself.

But REAL religions? Especially if they were officially implemented? No thanks. That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Someone, somewhere is going to end up getting offended either way. You're better of just making up your own religion(s) to use in game. It would probably be a lot more fun anyways, since you don't have to deal with all of the inevitable bigotry and hypocrisy that comes from certain religions/religious people. (Unless you choose to add that in for whatever reason)
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 3:11 PM
I just want my sims to sit down at the dining table together and have a nice, long holiday meal as a family. If EA can't manage that, how can anyone expect them to manage implementing a deity worshiping system without pissing off every single player?

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Scholar
#25 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 3:58 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 10th Feb 2014 at 8:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I could totally see a few fake religions in the game. Considering this is a life simulator, religion is about as important as procreating. Of course, you could be an atheist and be just fine, but we'd be foolish to ignore how prominent religion has been in our society.

Have the sims worship a plumbob or something, give them little quirks and traits, like spiritual sims who pass around good vibes and positive energy.

People are so afraid being offended and offending others - religion is a part of out world. It just adds another layer to the simulation.

For every "spiritual sim[ ]who pass[es] around good vibes and positive energy,' you're gonna need two who go door to door looking for* converts and an argument.

*In the interest of coherency, I edited to add the word, 'for.'
Page 1 of 6