Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
Spode is the only true religion!

All bow to the mighty Spode...
Did anyone else play Spore?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 5:36 PM
Yeah, I just started a new game, actually.

I don't like the zealots. They always demand money to avoid war. Same problem with those annoying brats you bring to space; we were technologically advanced enough to uplift you and you only have a single planet, quit threatening us for money! On the plus side, they do fill out your Warmonger badge quite nicely.

Sims Medieval also had a religious system that was done pretty well. While it was based on the real-world Petrine and Pauline sects, they were worshiping the player. And you didn't really have to play the religious parts or let it affect you. I doubt it would go so well if they tried to do anything else, since anything that won't annoy people won't be realistic and a lack of realism will annoy people.
Fresh fruit from the bigot tree
#28 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 6:52 PM
Do not mind atheists. We should have the option to turn on religion in the game. EA said that there would be no laundry or religion in the sims, but we got laundry in sisms 3, so religion is totally possible. We just have to yell louder than atheists. Which we will sure not be doing any time soon, proving we are not as aggressive as them.

Do not install pescado's mod. It is the one producing the errors it warns you about. Get Twallan's instead. It cleans your save file and prevents glitches.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 6:57 PM
I do admit that having to do laundry sometimes pisses me off as much as religion pisses off some other people, but I still don't think those two things are really entirely comparable.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rafe Weisz
Do not mind atheists. We should have the option to turn on religion in the game. EA said that there would be no laundry or religion in the sims, but we got laundry in sisms 3, so religion is totally possible. We just have to yell louder than atheists. Which we will sure not be doing any time soon, proving we are not as aggressive as them.

...I think you're parodying yourself at this point.

So, if "atheists" don't manage to win out, how would you do religion in the game?
Instructor
#31 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 7:42 PM
Actually, this could be a lot of fun. We could have several new traits: religious fanatic and atheist. The religious fanatics and atheists would go around preaching to other sims, and in the process decrease their relationship to other sims. Also, the religious fanatics could strap a bomb, run into a crowded area and become a suicide bomber.

Religious sims could also engage in other activites, like torturing other sims (the inquisition), burning witches and being insufferable pricks, like so many religious people tend to be. Their religious powers would be augmented by traits such as mean spirited and kleptomaniac.

I do think the game should stay away from real world religions. For example, there might be The Church of the Almighty Buck. The more wealth one acquires, the higher one becomes in the church. Wait a minute, wer really do need to stay away from real world religions.

All told, the system could work a lot like the social groups we have in University. They could increase their standing in the church by preaching to other sims. Telling other sims that they are inferior because they have not been saved. Raise money for the church. Go to a religious study group. Pray in public so other sims can see how religious they are. Burn a witch. Tell another sim that he is going to Hell. Participate in a suicide bombing. Kill a sim from another religion, or torture an atheist.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 7:48 PM
......no

why did i pick this username
Scholar
#33 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 8:33 PM

As a not-atheist, I will join my voice with theirs to keep religion out of this game. It isn't just the atheists who worry about religious fanatics, it is those of us who have endured centuries/millennia (depending on the religion) of persecution. Ask any Muslim, Wiccan, Buddhist, Native American (hell, make that any indigenous sort on any continent where missionaries have trampled), and s/he will tell you the same thing: Keep your religion away from me, and my children.

As an adult, I find christianizers annoying. But I can deal - I know my mind and my heart.

But when they come near my grandchildren, that's a whole nuther ball-a-wax. I do not want computer games to be yet another method by which the devout attempt to save my family.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 8:41 PM
There's more than enough religion in TS Medieval. If you want religion, that's the game for you (although I admit it can be a bit fun, but only in that particular setting, and I quickly got tired of it). There are some religion mods, though. I've never had any use of them, so I don't know much more than of their existence.

I don't mind the ghosts or the grim reaper, or the other somewhat "neutral" religion/belief suff that's spread throughout the game, or the ability to celebrate Christmas or the many other feasts (because the feasts are purely optional). Other than that, I prefer my regular game religion-free.
Forum Resident
#35 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 11:38 PM
I am on record as saying Twallian is a god. When he has miraculously updated his mods faster and more efficiently. Than I would have thought a person who was doing all this gratis. But then I also hold his noodles exaltedness the Spaghetti Monster, Cthulhu, and Bill the Cat, as gods. **shrugs** I am Discordian...

I hate it when the voices in my head talk about me as though I were not there...
Scholar
#36 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 1:20 AM

What. I'm Christian and don't feel the need to have religion in the game at all. Laundry is one thing, religion is a whole other ballpark entirely. Personally, all I want are decent split level stairs.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#37 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 1:30 AM
And I'm an atheist and I wouldn't mind religion being added to the game. I guess you can't please everyone. :p

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 3:53 AM
Ballparks and split-level stairs are OK with me, but laundry not so much. I guess that makes me an agnostic.
Alchemist
#39 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 5:05 AM

I can't believe you actually compare laundry with religion. Do you believe in laundry? Do you worship it? Do you think there's a debate thread whether laundry should be implemented or not? If religion is as easy as laundry problem, there won't be any talk like this.

Just call me Nikel
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 5:43 AM Last edited by tomomi1922 : 11th Feb 2014 at 5:54 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by othiym28
You're best off just working any religion you want in the game into your own story-telling and building as best you can.

Do you really want to see what EA would do to religion if they tried to implement it in the Sims?

Couldn't have said better. Just work it in your game. Honestly, We already have the power of god in TS3, can control birth, life, and death (via your magic scepter called "MasterController", mass manufactured by NRAAS Industry).

Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
Actually, this could be a lot of fun. We could have several new traits: religious fanatic and atheist. The religious fanatics and atheists would go around preaching to other sims, and in the process decrease their relationship to other sims. Also, the religious fanatics could strap a bomb, run into a crowded area and become a suicide bomber.

Religious sims could also engage in other activites, like torturing other sims (the inquisition), burning witches and being insufferable pricks, like so many religious people tend to be. Their religious powers would be augmented by traits such as mean spirited and kleptomaniac.

I do think the game should stay away from real world religions. For example, there might be The Church of the Almighty Buck. The more wealth one acquires, the higher one becomes in the church. Wait a minute, wer really do need to stay away from real world religions.

All told, the system could work a lot like the social groups we have in University. They could increase their standing in the church by preaching to other sims. Telling other sims that they are inferior because they have not been saved. Raise money for the church. Go to a religious study group. Pray in public so other sims can see how religious they are. Burn a witch. Tell another sim that he is going to Hell. Participate in a suicide bombing. Kill a sim from another religion, or torture an atheist.

You do sound like those that came from D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" movie (1915). I got an idea, someone (maybe not EA) should make a game called Religion Life Simulation. Because what you described simply contain more features than TS3 has right now. So it seems religions seem to be all but ways to harass and torture ordinary people? This is the main reason many of us here think EA should really keep religion away. Too many misconception, stereotypes, ... You didn't mention any real world religion but by the way you speak I can already identify most of the stereotypes you brought up. "Participate in a suicide bombing"? Can you be more cliche?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 7:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sirz345
There are only about 40-50 faiths on the Earth that are widely practiced, many others, having no or few members. They would not need to add every faith, just many of them, hence why it would take a separate team just to incorporate them all at EA.

OK, just how many different religions do you propose should be in a town, world, setting, in the game? In that case I want Sims to have liquor stores that provide real liquored juice so I can have them on opposing corners in the world. Every corner!

Explain "Twallanism" lol

I would say Google it but this comes up. Twallanism Guess it would be a fair question, would anyone like to make a clear, concise, definition so Google can link it?

Quote: Originally posted by Fentonparkninja
Also you have the random chance of every religious sim suddenly being raptured up to heaven, which sucks if you were almost done with all the mixology challenges on one of them ...

Dammit! Why did I read your post while sipping a drink? *getting paper towels to clean monitor*

Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
That's so like a cult, not religion. But sadly, I subscribe to that cult too

EA should be subscribing too, lots of EPs wouldn't be sold without some of his mods. I think I would have stopped playing myself but Twallan saved my simming urges.

Quote: Originally posted by DaBoogadie
Some of My sims don't know of Me...I forgive them.

You're not the only one, mine are a bunch of heathens that always do something I want to smite them for. Just have to remember they must recognize me and appreciate my giving them free will. Never will happen.

Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
I just want my sims to sit down at the dining table together and have a nice, long holiday meal as a family. If EA can't manage that, how can anyone expect them to manage implementing a deity worshiping system without pissing off every single player?

Hell Yeah!! :lovestruc

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#42 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 9:01 AM
Well, your reasoning skills give me hope, because I once asked them if we would get laundry or 50 Cent's authentic G-Unit Glocks in the game and if they implemented laundry, then they are possibly gonna be putting those Glocks in soon!

Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Dammit! Why did I read your post while sipping a drink? *getting paper towels to clean monitor*
I guess that's another cup of coffee I owe someone ...
Instructor
#43 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 3:12 PM
One thing I do, for sims that I'd like to worship me or whatever, is get the reward ExtraordinAIRe-Inator because they meditate. I'll put a coffee table in front and a candle or two. They'll meditate for 45-ish minutes and then leave with a happy moodlet.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 4:15 PM
Disregarding the holiday packs, I think it's better not to have religion in the game. There are far too many religions to please everyone (there would have to be a select few, and some would always be left out), and someone will get disappointed when they don't find theirs, and others won't like how they've portrayed the religions, and some will be pissed off there is religion at all in the game. Better not to have it at all...

And for those who don't want laundry, get rid of the washing machine and dryer in the house, and you won't have that problem.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 4:40 PM
If there was to be a religion aspect, shouldn't it be about worshipping the Plumbob?

The one chosen by the Plumbob may see his life blessed beyond his wildest expectations, his home magically changing and expanding, or he may feel the bored wrath of the Plumbob and be subjected to torments unlike any Sim-kind has seen before.

The Plumbob giveth, the Plumbob taketh away. Love the Plumbob. Fear the Plumbob. The Plumbob is life. The Plumbob is death. All hail!
Mad Poster
#46 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 6:37 PM

Ummm...I'm definitely Catholic but I agree with the "atheists" that think religion has no place in this game. You want religion? Use your imagination (that's what the Sims is about) build a church, give it a podium (if you have University), make a preacher, and add a bunch of townies to the lot. It's not hard. I've done it plenty of times.

Also religion and laundry.....those are totally the same thing. Of course the addition of laundry means religion is just around the corner XD
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Luckk
One thing I do, for sims that I'd like to worship me or whatever, is get the reward ExtraordinAIRe-Inator because they meditate. I'll put a coffee table in front and a candle or two. They'll meditate for 45-ish minutes and then leave with a happy moodlet.

This is brilliant idea. I use that item all the time, but I've never thought of using it for worshipping. Time to make a swamp shrine for Thoggus
Top Secret Researcher
#48 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 10:54 PM
I would like to change my vote. Could I have religion and laundry in TS3 but not have either of them in the real world?

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Scholar
#49 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 7:27 PM
Could religion work in the Sims?

I'm gonna go with

because

and just for fun
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
I'm gonna go with

because

and just for fun

Oh god, this made me laugh so hard! Very good point by the way. I tend to go with the assumption that EA would manage to mess this up because they manage to mess everything up. Plus, most of the comments from religious people in this discussion scare me and I am a religious person myself. Would I want Vita Alto suicide bombing the Landgraab Estate? Maybe but not for religious reasons. This game is supposed to be fun and this would implement a part of reality that already causes tons of problems in the real world. No thank you.
Page 2 of 6