Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2014 at 8:27 PM
Default Which Trait would you like in the game?
Just an overall idea, if you could have a certain trait in the game that isn't in it (yet), which would it be?

I'd like a... well, "proper" Technophobe trait. Of course, it wouldn't work cause this trait would have to work with the game mechanic of NOT giving a technophobic Sim a cellphone that is strapped to their ass and available at all hours of the day or night.

Also a more tiny trait, Shower Hater. This Sim would rather opt to take a bath, than a shower, even if the latter is faster. They might get a short moodlet for taking a bath, or maybe even choose to not get clean in the morning before work, just so they can have the nice relaxation of a bath when they get home.

C-A
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th May 2014 at 11:46 PM
I'd rather see some psychoses and/or neuroses represented in game. Chronic depression, for example, doesn't exist in Sims 3. Over-emotional and Brooding don't really capture it.

So, ideas:
1. Depressed - constant -100 to mood
2. Sociopath - doesn't get wishes to interact with other sims, except things like "fight with so-and-so"
3. Bipolar - unpredictable -150 or +150 to mood
4. Multiple personalities - all other traits alternate between two sets unpredictably (or perhaps triggered by something) which is always accompanied by change of wishes AND lifetime wish. The upside is you can fulfill two LTW's.
5. Borderline Personality Disorder - frequently gets wishes to do mean things to friends and family (more likely the higher the relationship value is), frequent wishes to woohoo with non-romantic interest sims, frequent wishes to breakup or lose friends, and perhaps even wishes to drink nectar. If this sim is not controlled by the player, your relationship with them may fluctuate unpredictably.

OCD is already represented by "Neurotic".
Scholar
#3 Old 16th May 2014 at 3:14 AM
surfer85, on the one hand that sounds so cool but depression is so awful in real life I would probably never give the trait to my Sims, lol. I'm already annoyed by it enough. According to Sims wiki, 'wanton' was originally a trait but was scrapped because of ratings and I think it'd be pretty cool. I suppose flirty is pretty similar, but it would be neat to have Sims addicted to woohoo. It might also be cool to have an under-emotional trait, in counterpart to the over-emotional trait. So the Sim would get less of a drawback from negative experiences, but also less of a bonus from positive experiences. A 'doesn't care about other people's feelings' trait would also be interesting. I suppose the Evil trait has this component to an extent, but rather than relishing Sims' misfortune, these Sims simply wouldn't care. If they got in a fight with someone, they wouldn't care. If someone was crying around them, they wouldn't care. I guess that's pretty similar to a sociopath. Some of the Wii traits (according to Sims wiki) would also be cool - people pleaser, procrastinator, megalomaniac, etc.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Forum Resident
#4 Old 16th May 2014 at 4:10 AM
A real evil trait. The evil trait we've got at the moment should be called 'Nasty' rather than evil because they're not really evil - I want a sim that has actively wants to kill other sims and never feels any sadness about their deaths, has no real concept of love, and has a special option at work called 'conspire to replace the boss' that might get their boss demoted and them promoted, or might get them sacked if anyone finds out.

And to contrast that, an Angelic trait would be fun too - like Good, but always wants to help other sims and gets upset if nearby sims are upset or have negative moodlets.
Instructor
#5 Old 16th May 2014 at 7:10 AM
Something like lunatic would be fun. The trait would make the sim walk/run in a weird way or option to stare at other sims in a greepy way, amount other things. Also food addict. Since there is a vegetarian who will only eat vegetables and a eco-friendly who only makes organic food, food addict wouldn't care what they eat and could eat lot more than normal sim. Becouse of the game ratings lot of the traits are pretty mild. I usually pick traits like great kisser or hopeless romantic or flirty becouse they give more interaction than other traits.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 16th May 2014 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by surfer85
5. Borderline Personality Disorder - frequently gets wishes to do mean things to friends and family (more likely the higher the relationship value is), frequent wishes to woohoo with non-romantic interest sims, frequent wishes to breakup or lose friends, and perhaps even wishes to drink nectar. If this sim is not controlled by the player, your relationship with them may fluctuate unpredictably.

Lol this would be amusing, however considering I have this condition, in my personal experience I do not recall turning to alcohol or going out for random woohoo...
Sadly the first part is true though, it's like schizophrenia just a little more predictable.
(Although, maybe other people with the disorder do turn to those things, I guess it just depends on how much you've been through).
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 16th May 2014 at 8:25 PM
I didn't mean to make a bad generalization. From what I've read, though, one of the defining characteristics of that disorder is compulsory behavior, of which drug abuse and promiscuity are examples.
Test Subject
#8 Old 16th May 2014 at 8:35 PM
I agree with a truly "evil" trait! I like making really strange, off-the-wall Sims. One of the funniest to me is Kleptomaniac. I'd love to see a "Sheldon Cooper" trait that is annoying, doesn't understand sarcasm, not compassionate, but is quirky and somehow lovable.

Obviously that's not realistic due to copyrights and whatnot, but wouldn't it be neat to have TV character traits?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 16th May 2014 at 9:09 PM
I still want CRV13's Kyle Brovlosky trait to be a thing.

Scholar
#10 Old 16th May 2014 at 10:09 PM
I´d like a fighting-able good sim, because in my book "good" doesn´t equal "nice". A "good" sim lives to make the world better for everybody, a sim who refrains from figthing is a "pacifist". Those two might go hand in hand, but are not the same.
Also I´d like a negative moodlet for "Loner" sims that interact with others when their social motive is already filled - I certainly recieve a -30 in such a situation. It could be handled similarily to the overeating: First you get a warning (blue) and if you continue, the negative moddlet strikes.
What I could live without is the "evil" trait. Evil isn´t funny or cool, it´s the total opposite of creation and every godly spark we have inside us. (I usually therapy/reform any evil sim I encounter by means of midlife crisis, so I wind up playing evil sims quite often.) I think if they had named the trait "bad" or even "killer" I would not object so strongly.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th May 2014 at 10:13 PM
4. Multiple personalities - all other traits alternate between two sets unpredictably (or perhaps triggered by something) which is always accompanied by change of wishes AND lifetime wish. The upside is you can fulfill two LTW's.

This wouldn't really work for Dissociative Identity Disorder, though, and simply sounds like a person who has differentiating ideas and wants. To really capture what DID is, the Sim would need to be "taken over" by a different personality altogether, which I guess could be indicated in the simplest way with some sort of "dissociated" negative moodlet. But how would the different personalities be differentiated between? Would you trust EA to program a randomised personality into a "split", would the other personality/ies be created by the player?

As interesting as recreating mental illnesses might seem, there is a big potential for offense given how cartoony and silly a lot of stuff in the game series is, not to mention something as severe as DID is said to be would probably be incredibly fucking complex to program. And this is without even touching the whole controversy on whether or not DID even truly exists.

Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
It might also be cool to have an under-emotional trait, in counterpart to the over-emotional trait. So the Sim would get less of a drawback from negative experiences, but also less of a bonus from positive experiences.

God yes. Take the stone hearted lifetime reward and expand it into an actual trait. I would love this too. I have a character that I've made on the Sims whose personality is in essence a complete lack of personality, and something like an under emotional trait would be so incredibly fitting for him.

I didn't mean to make a bad generalization. From what I've read, though, one of the defining characteristics of that disorder is compulsory behavior, of which drug abuse and promiscuity are examples.

I believe that you don't mean to be offensive, but this does rather prove my point earlier in this post about the potential for offense being there. Mental illnesses, especially something like Borderline Personality Disorder is complex and can't truly be summed up in a bullet point list. I mean, yeah sure, you can make a list of symptoms and shit to look out for that a person with BPD might do or display, but given that each person is different, their experiences with a particular disorder will also be different, which is where offense could be caused.

One borderline person may act more like a "stereotypical" person with the disorder, whereas another may still have it, but exhibit different traits of it. I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing you or explaining things that you may already know and apologise if that's how I've come across, but in all honesty I really think mental health related traits or other features is something that EA wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole, along with religion.

Unless of course it makes them about twenty billion dollars, in which case all bets are off.
Scholar
#12 Old 16th May 2014 at 11:14 PM
"Constant Teeth Ache" would be perfect for my self sim. Damn spanish dentists.
One Minute Ninja'd
#13 Old 17th May 2014 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
.......................As interesting as recreating mental illnesses might seem, there is a big potential for offense given how cartoony and silly a lot of stuff in the game series is, not to mention something as severe as DID is said to be would probably be incredibly fucking complex to program. And this is without even touching the whole controversy on whether or not DID even truly exists.........................................
..............................One borderline person may act more like a "stereotypical" person with the disorder, whereas another may still have it, but exhibit different traits of it. I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing you or explaining things that you may already know and apologise if that's how I've come across, but in all honesty I really think mental health related traits or other features is something that EA wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole, along with religion..............................

Then again, they did give us things like Insane and Neurotic in the base game, and then gave us Brooding and Unstable with EPs. Still, having my sim take a mood stabilizer every day and get to their DBT class 3 evenings a week would be a bit too real world for my taste.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 17th May 2014 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCarey
A real evil trait. The evil trait we've got at the moment should be called 'Nasty' rather than evil because they're not really evil - I want a sim that has actively wants to kill other sims and never feels any sadness about their deaths, has no real concept of love, and has a special option at work called 'conspire to replace the boss' that might get their boss demoted and them promoted, or might get them sacked if anyone finds out.

And to contrast that, an Angelic trait would be fun too - like Good, but always wants to help other sims and gets upset if nearby sims are upset or have negative moodlets.

The Evil trait we have should be called the Cartoon Villain trait...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 17th May 2014 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Then again, they did give us things like Insane and Neurotic in the base game, and then gave us Brooding and Unstable with EPs. Still, having my sim take a mood stabilizer every day and get to their DBT class 3 evenings a week would be a bit too real world for my taste.

Yeah but those traits mentioned, perhaps with the exception of brooding, are all presented as cartoony. They're exaggerations of real life neuroses. I mean, I sure as fuck don't regularly throttle myself or squash and eat flies (seriously EA what the fuck LOL). Nor do I have to breathe into a paper bag on a (near) daily basis.

They did sort of venture a teeny tiny little bit into mental health treatments with going to the hospital to be admitted for instability but again it's a silly exaggeration. Spend a few hours inside a rabbit hole and you're treated for your unstable episode - for free, no less! Or alternatively, just ignore it, sink deeper into delusion and come out with a - perhaps positive - personality change. Yeaaahhhh. But an actual in depth and probably horribly inaccurate mental illness expansion, traits, or whatever features that could potentially be added...it just sounds like too much of a shitstorm. Even for the golden turd company.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 17th May 2014 at 4:48 AM
I don't think any of my ideas were cartoonish. The multiple personalities one was sub-par mainly because it would be hard to portray within the game mechanics of Sims 3.

Mental illnesses CAN be reduced to bullet points. They're called symptoms, and should be used objectively to diagnose patients.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 17th May 2014 at 5:33 AM
I don't think any of my ideas were cartoonish. The multiple personalities one was sub-par mainly because it would be hard to portray within the game mechanics of Sims 3.

Mental illnesses CAN be reduced to bullet points. They're called symptoms, and should be used objectively to diagnose patients.

Yeah, be that as it may, you're still ignoring the bigger issue: A mental illness is NOT a part of someone's personality. My depression isn't a part of who I am, it's something I have.

Now, if EA could manage something like actually making mental illnesses an additional option to your Sims, that would be neat-o. But we all know they won't do that.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 17th May 2014 at 5:36 AM
Nonono, I didn't mean that your ideas are cartoonish, just that the traits that've been close to mental illness so far have been a cartoony exaggeration. Which I personally think is where EA should stay. What it sounds like you were after is a more in depth and realistic overview of mental illnesses for our Sims, and frankly if EA ever did become stupid enough to think it was a good idea, there's no fucking way they'd handle it with any tact or sensitivity.

Well alright, I give you that, I wasn't particularly clear. What I mean is that not all people of one condition display all or even the same symptoms as I already explained.

EDIT: Yeah, what kinseth said.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 17th May 2014 at 5:50 AM
There should have been a Dislikes Animals trait included with Pets. Basegame gives us Dislikes Children, Supernatural gives us the Fan and Skeptic traits, but no Dislikes Animals? I call shenanigans.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Mad Poster
#20 Old 17th May 2014 at 1:20 PM
OH GOD YES MAMMAL. Fuck, I was really disappointed there was no dislikes animals. I mean for fuck's sake the Pets console version has a fur allergy, and according to the wiki, an actual honest to God "dislikes pets" trait. Although it doesn't even have a page on the wiki. Huh.

Also give us the hyperactive and flip flopper console traits too tia.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 17th May 2014 at 3:19 PM
I was actually kind of disappointed they pulled out the "Stupid" trait. That could have been fun to play with.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 17th May 2014 at 4:00 PM
Apparently awesomemod puts it back in, from what I hear. But yes, gutted that was scrapped.

...Although when you think about it, Sims don't really need it...!
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th May 2014 at 4:54 PM
Quote:
I mean for fuck's sake the Pets console version has a fur allergy, and according to the wiki, an actual honest to God "dislikes pets" trait.

Um... I played Sims 3 Pets on the console first... and I don't remember a Dislikes Pets/Animals trait...

Also, yes, that Underemotional trait would be cool. Making it either difficult for positive moodlets to show up or have them give less of a mood boost, making it more difficult to get the Sim into a good mood. (Or have good moodlets disappear faster)

C-A
Mad Poster
#24 Old 17th May 2014 at 5:32 PM
Just going by the wiki.

Fur Allergy
Not to be confused with Dislikes Pets.

Guess someone's been fucking around!
Test Subject
#25 Old 18th May 2014 at 9:17 AM
Dislike Elders And Cyber Bullier Trait
Page 1 of 3