Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2019 at 4:09 PM
Default What do you want to talk about?
Can we make this a hot/active thread? A thread to talk about anything that comes to mind pertaining the sims 3 (basically, random thoughts).

Message to console simmers: do you exist? What ways have you tried playing your game? Stuff you did, the styles/rules/stories you incorporated, etc? Do you mess around often with karma powers? What things do you think the PC players are missing out on?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 13th Dec 2019 at 7:17 PM
Can we whine about normals and uv maps? I need to whine about them somewhere... They're not technically in the game but I'm making things for it and they're slowly sucking out my will to live
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Dec 2019 at 8:02 PM
Let's talk about coffee, or the lack of it. My Sims need coffee. Just regular black coffee, not all these fancy 'cinos with the sugary swirly creamy bits.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Dec 2019 at 10:25 PM
Don't mind it, but I second that issue with the coffee variety.

Forum Resident
#6 Old 13th Dec 2019 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
What is the point of having a favorite color when the sim will randomly generate their outfit and pattern?

I thought about that the other day actually. I know Sims will clap for their favorite food, but does their favorite color actually have any gameplay effect besides showing up in a thought bubble every now and then?

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Dec 2019 at 1:13 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 14th Dec 2019 at 1:37 AM.
First time trying out a vending machine by slamming it resulted in death. Great start, but then the grim reaper what next caught me off guard. After reaping the unfortunate soul (different animation? My Sim beg on needs and instantly assimilated without getting up), the grim reaper went to the vendor, phased his arm into the machine and grabbed out a soda can then poured it out

Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
I thought about that the other day actually. I know Sims will clap for their favorite food, but does their favorite color actually have any gameplay effect besides showing up in a thought bubble every now and then?

They also are more likely to make their favorite food, but from how I remember reading others stated they haven't notice much the benefit of color favourism. They just respond to the question when asked about, but nothing special. Alias, googling favorite color yields some results If you're curious to find out.

BTW, is there any cohesive information about university apartments? How distinct they're from building a LN rabbit hole.

Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#8 Old 14th Dec 2019 at 2:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
First time trying out a vending machine by slamming it resulted in death. Great start, but then the grim reaper what next caught me off guard. After reaping the unfortunate soul (different animation? My Sim beg on needs and instantly assimilated without getting up), the grim reaper went to the vendor, phased his arm into the machine and grabbed out a soda can then poured it out

They also are more likely to make their favorite food, but from how I remember reading others stated they haven't notice much the benefit of color favourism. They just respond to the question when asked about, but nothing special. Alias, googling favorite color yields some results If you're curious to find out.

BTW, is there any cohesive information about university apartments? How distinct they're from building a LN rabbit hole.

I created thread in M4B section to ask about apartments for Sims 3 and it had responses you can find here.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 14th Dec 2019 at 2:36 AM
Graphics. Ever since I've had to give up on advanced ambient occlusion and depth of field effects my game has looked so much worse for it. I now regularly look at Sims and rooms and places and think, this just doesn't look good at all to me. And there's nothing wrong with the game itself, but it's awfully unembellished. Now if I'd gotten amazing framerates in return, it'd have been good for something. But it only seems to run worse, too.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Dec 2019 at 2:16 PM
It sings "Do you want to be my Christmas present... If you want I'll be your Christmas present". A song for your SO. Well, actually, suitable for a friend too.

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 14th Dec 2019 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Graphics. Ever since I've had to give up on advanced ambient occlusion and depth of field effects my game has looked so much worse for it. I now regularly look at Sims and rooms and places and think, this just doesn't look good at all to me. And there's nothing wrong with the game itself, but it's awfully unembellished. Now if I'd gotten amazing framerates in return, it'd have been good for something. But it only seems to run worse, too.

I've been trying for months to find default eyes and skins, that don't look toooooo blurry/waxy and that I actually like how it makes my Sims look. I'm on a hiding to no where it is never going to happen.

Meanwhile all my saves is taking an hour + to load now. I've removed recent cc added in and hope to actually play the game tomorrow or Monday or someday.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Dec 2019 at 5:46 PM
Am I the only that doesn't play with CC (CAS and normal object content) ? I do play with mods though.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Dec 2019 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Also, just how strong or serious are the traits? Do they actually do anything?

For example, a sim with good trait and a sim with evil trait should naturally be enemies, right? Now, on the autonomous algorithm, they won't be paired (I assume). However, when you are controlling one of the sims, you can use romance interactions and "brute force" a relationship between them. Then what is the point of traits?

Conflicting traits convey an attraction (and thus a relationship) penalty. It doesn't mean such a penalty cannot be overcome if there are enough other positive things scoring between the two of them. In many instances we players feel that opposites should attract. For example, a Neat sim should be overjoyed to be living with a Slob since that would give them someone to clean up after. While the overjoyed part doesn't really happen, there's no reason two such sims cannot still be attracted to each other and have a relationship once they get over the "Eww, we have conflicting traits!" bit on discovery and make up for the ongoing penalty in other ways. But for two sims with three or more pairs of trait conflicts, I wouldn't hold out much hope of that being a match made in heaven. And some combos, not so much Good vs. Evil, are going to result in never-ending repeats of interactions that continue to annoy one sim or the other such as Flirty vs. Non-Flirty, a Supernatural Fan who wants to keep blathering on about their passion with one who is a Skeptic, or a sim with a Good Sense of Humor who enjoys cracking jokes all of the time vs. one with No Sense of Humor.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 15th Dec 2019 at 5:13 AM
A sim who has the Neat trait actually enjoys cleaning up. AFAIK, though I could be mistaken on this, you are not a sim.

But maybe a better example would be a sim who is Clumsy would appreciate having one who is Handy around.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 15th Dec 2019 at 6:42 AM
Sims' potential attraction for each other is what is taken into account. A coupling can typically withstand a single trait incompatibility, some might be able to withstand two. Compatible zodiac signs help, but incompatible ones do not hinder because they do not convey an attraction score penalty. There is indeed a random factor involved, but it's one of very many in the formula.
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...680#post4052680

And sometimes, well you know, there just isn't anyone else around to be coupled up with who isn't a recent ex, a close blood relation, the "wrong" species or gender, or totally repulsive in other not very objective ways. Twallan apparently couldn't stand the idea of sims not being partnered, so they will make do with the dating pool such as it is and try to pair up (a bit too quickly for some of us to watch under default settings perhaps).
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 15th Dec 2019 at 9:18 AM
Hey, you can always couple the Neat trait with Neurotic and they will be miserable with a slob sim around :p
Also, that's very interesting, igazor. I've noticed sims partner up then immediately split to get with the new person in town, so i assumed they were just more compatible...
I've had sims never partnering up with anyone. The shy socially awkward loner lived out her life writing books in her shack, and on the rare occasion she did visit public places, any hint of conversation turned her into a flight risk. :p
Oh, and an evil sim of mine went to uni then rolled the Good trait, so she could've had both at the same time. Bit of a shame i didn't run with it, would've been interesting to test it out. Have any of you guys had that happen?

omnis mundi creatura
Mad Poster
#21 Old 15th Dec 2019 at 2:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Leo5
I've been trying for months to find default eyes and skins, that don't look toooooo blurry/waxy and that I actually like how it makes my Sims look. I'm on a hiding to no where it is never going to happen.

I've been using the same skins for about 5 years now and they're fine. I don't need to do anything to them. But those skins are worthless if you don't have good shaders. And I no longer have the good shaders.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Dec 2019 at 3:51 PM
That looks properly fucked up. Almost getting Fallout 3 vibes. Nice work!
I'm still experimenting with dirty textures, overlays, ugly fluorescent lighting, stains and stuff like overcast weather. My subway location is almost at the point where I'm scared I'll get stabbed through my computer monitor so I'd say that's coming along well.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#23 Old 15th Dec 2019 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kin.gyo1413
Oh, and an evil sim of mine went to uni then rolled the Good trait, so she could've had both at the same time. Bit of a shame i didn't run with it, would've been interesting to test it out. Have any of you guys had that happen?

I didn't think that was even possible. Did the sim actually (briefly) show having both traits at the same time? An Evil sim can be Friendly, but they shouldn't be able to also be Good.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 15th Dec 2019 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I didn't think that was even possible. Did the sim actually (briefly) show having both traits at the same time? An Evil sim can be Friendly, but they shouldn't be able to also be Good.

Yes, I was surprised, too. It was the trait that came up pre-rolled in the selection window so if I'd just okayed that, the sim would have had both traits at the same time. (Reminds me of the time a baby was cloned and had the Flirty trait. Game, stop.)

omnis mundi creatura
Page 1 of 5