Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 1:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Really having troubles removing .sims3pack ...Please kind soul help before I pull my hair out!
Please forgive my ignorance but I am not understanding how one is supposed to remove .sims3packs unless you open the launcher, go to 'installed content' tab and then scroll endlessly through the sea of downloads that you have accumulated, looking at wonky thumbnails that may or may not actually picture what the download is supposed to be so you can 'check' it and then uninstall it. There has go to be an easier way to uninstall these packs. Initially I was trying to uninstall lots I had downloaded but I've done given up on that because there's no way to remove all the content the lot adds to your game, unless you know exactly what that lot has added and then go hunt it down in the launcher with previous said method. I deleted the house in game, which only removes it from the house library in your game and I tried removing a house through the launcher but it only removed the house and kept all the content it added. Anyways, now I wanted to download some clothes. I thought I'd try and outsmart the game by taking everything out of the DCBackup and put it on my desktop so that when I add the new downloads, if I don't like them, then I can just delete the file from the DCBackup folder, where the .sims3packs get unpacked. Wrong. The clothes were still in the game after I deleted them from that folder. Luckily I don't have that many clothes installed so I was able to find them without too much trouble in the launcher and uninstall by scrolling down and checking every single download. I can't continue to download .sims3packs though if this is the only way I can delete them if I don't like them. I'm completely illiterate when it comes to s3pe. Someone had mentioned using that in some way but I have no idea how to use it all. I could not get it to view my .sims3packs. The only thing I can do is right click on a .package file and open it with S3PE and find a thumbnail to see what that file might be. That does nothing to help with .sims3packs though. I would like to just not install .sims3packs. I'm wondering if there's a way to convert it to a .package file and just put that in the game and bypass the whole launcher install/uninstall mess? I thought I had read this somewhere but I can't remember. Anyways, if someone could please take some time out and help me to understand how to fix my problem I would love you forever! I realize everyone is probably playing sims 4 by now but I've always been years behind in the sims games lol (I just stopped playing sims 2 a few years ago) so again forgive me for my stupidity.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 11:17 PM
Let's say I have all the original .sims3pack files saved that I've downloaded through the launcher, but then I want to use your suggestion, and convert them to .package files with that program you mentioned...so I would uninstall all the .sims3pack files through the launcher, and then place the converted pack files into mods folder and my game should not be the wiser? Everything should work as normal? You can convert worlds that you've purchased through the store and convert to a .package file and all those files will go into the mods folder? Do I need to delete DCBackup or DCCache after I convert the packs to .package files? I just want to be 100% clear so I don't f up my game. Thanks for your patience!

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
So removing the house from the launcher doesn't remove all the other CCs? I find that odd. But honestly I had never removed a CC house I installed. That sucks.

As far as I know there is no other way to remove it. When you install sims3pack..., what it does is extract all the package files in the sims3pack and "repack" them with cache files in the dccache. House/worlds/sims files then may be placed in other folders etc... So your cc files are those huge files in the dccache directory. Dcbackup is merely the backup of your sims3pack files and many people prefer to delete them to save space. (Do not delete ccmerge.)

Since removing the house doesn't remove those CCs that came with it, then you will have to manually delete those CCs. I suggest going into buy/build mode and whatever category they are in. Click the "filter" on the top right of the panel to sort by "store items" only, which will only display sims3pack CCs. Hover the mouse over them to get their names, then you can go through the launcher later and remove them manually 1 at a time.

Basically what the launcher does with Sims3pack is repacking them into the huge dccache files so they load faster, the same method that many later use on package files with CC Magic or what they call "package merging." This saves on loading time for the game but the trade off is as you found out, difficult to remove CCs from them manually. And I've seen enough times on this forum where people mess up something and lost all their mods. I prefer an organized mod folder with many subfolders and keeping my CCs to a minimum.

In the future, again it is recommended you use Delphy's Multi-installer to extract the package files from sims3pack and then manually place them in the mods folder instead. Most people do not use the launcher anymore b/c as you found out, it is not really user friendly.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissRobison
Please forgive my ignorance but I am not understanding how one is supposed to remove .sims3packs unless you open the launcher, go to 'installed content' tab and then scroll endlessly through the sea of downloads that you have accumulated, looking at wonky thumbnails that may or may not actually picture what the download is supposed to be so you can 'check' it and then uninstall it. There has go to be an easier way to uninstall these packs. Initially I was trying to uninstall lots I had downloaded but I've done given up on that because there's no way to remove all the content the lot adds to your game, unless you know exactly what that lot has added and then go hunt it down in the launcher with previous said method. I deleted the house in game, which only removes it from the house library in your game and I tried removing a house through the launcher but it only removed the house and kept all the content it added. Anyways, now I wanted to download some clothes. I thought I'd try and outsmart the game by taking everything out of the DCBackup and put it on my desktop so that when I add the new downloads, if I don't like them, then I can just delete the file from the DCBackup folder, where the .sims3packs get unpacked. Wrong. The clothes were still in the game after I deleted them from that folder. Luckily I don't have that many clothes installed so I was able to find them without too much trouble in the launcher and uninstall by scrolling down and checking every single download. I can't continue to download .sims3packs though if this is the only way I can delete them if I don't like them. I'm completely illiterate when it comes to s3pe. Someone had mentioned using that in some way but I have no idea how to use it all. I could not get it to view my .sims3packs. The only thing I can do is right click on a .package file and open it with S3PE and find a thumbnail to see what that file might be. That does nothing to help with .sims3packs though. I would like to just not install .sims3packs. I'm wondering if there's a way to convert it to a .package file and just put that in the game and bypass the whole launcher install/uninstall mess? I thought I had read this somewhere but I can't remember. Anyways, if someone could please take some time out and help me to understand how to fix my problem I would love you forever! I realize everyone is probably playing sims 4 by now but I've always been years behind in the sims games lol (I just stopped playing sims 2 a few years ago) so again forgive me for my stupidity.

EA Sims3Launcher is not a good decision, so the good decision is not to use the Sims3Launcher
For add content to the game or remove it from the game, I use S3PackageViewer by AnriRS.
I've been using this tool since I started playing Sims, because this tool is not just loader, but also is the best viewer for loaded and stored content, custom or EA. And, well, the best remover also.
I don't remember the last time I used EA Sims3Launcher.
But unfortunately you cannot use S3PackageViewer to remove content from the game that you have uploaded to the game using Sims3Launcher. You need another way to do this.

Welcome to Sim-Tropico!

More about Sim-Tropico:

Sim-Tropico_blog
Sim-Tropico_tumblr

Happy simming!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 12:27 AM
Ok if this is easier than repackaging .sims3packs and having to view each file, especially if it's a lot, in s3pe, I'm down to try it!
Right now to fix my problem, I'm just gonna delete everything through the launcher and either use your method or the other mentioned method ,whichever is easier, to reinstall. As of right now, I'll have to convert over 400 .sims3packs so I'm really not looking forward to that. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Quote: Originally posted by MrFatCat
EA Sims3Launcher is not a good decision, so the good decision is not to use the Sims3Launcher
For add content to the game or remove it from the game, I use S3PackageViewer by AnriRS.
I've been using this tool since I started playing Sims, because this tool is not just loader, but also is the best viewer for loaded and stored content, custom or EA. And, well, the best remover also.
I don't remember the last time I used EA Sims3Launcher.
But unfortunately you cannot use S3PackageViewer to remove content from the game that you have uploaded to the game using Sims3Launcher. You need another way to do this.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 1:11 AM
Well I'm with you until you talk about decrapifying and the worlds requiring extra steps lol. It'd probably be easier to just use the launcher or that other program for the worlds being as I've payed for them so I'm not gonna want to alter them but I do have store content and I'm not 100% understanding the decrapifying step. I downloaded the program but there's 2 .exe files and I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to be using. Also I tried scrolling through the comments on that site but it was just making things even more confusing talking about having to also debloat save files and other files or else your game will crash so I wasn't really understanding that. I'd like to figure it out 'cause it sounds like it might make the game run faster but I'm not gonna try something by just winging it and mess all my hard work up. I know you said you don't really use that method but if you know a group or something that might be able to help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to help. I was so afraid no one would help with such a remedial question lol. I miss sims 2 downloads when all you had to do was put the files in a downloads folder! Anyways, you're a life saver!

I've never used S3PackageViewer before, but it looks interesting and may be easier.

The method I mentioned is the more well-known method and it requires 2 tools.

1) Dephi's Multi-Installer (DMI) - To extract the package files from the sims3pack (Download Link)

2) S3PE - to view the thumbnails of the package to know what they are. (Download Link)

Both are very simple to use and there are tutorials, youtube tutorials out there I'm sure.

In a nutshell, any Sims3pack you download (except worlds, this require a couple more steps here: (Link), they are simply package files that are packed in Sims3pack like a form of ZIP/RAR. The game unpacks them and repacks them into the dccache, combining with all your other CCs in there.

1) DMI is very straight forward. Enter the directory where you have the sim3pack you want to unpack and then put the destination directory and just click extract. I recommend doing this 1 sims3pack at a time. So make an empty folder and put 1 sims3pack in there and then use DMI to extract it into the same folder.

If you get only ONE package, that's the one file they packed in there. Usually clothes, accessories, etc... have only 1 package. The package will have a strange name, this is the instance number. Simply rename the package to the same name as the sims3pack. You can now use this in your mod folder. You can delete the sims3pack.

2) In contents such as houses/sims, etc... you may have multiple package files b/c they include CC furniture, clothes, patterns, etc... etc... this is where you need S3PE. Again, it is easy, double click the package file you want, then look at the TAG for THUM or ICON, click it and you will see a picture. Then you know which CC it is and you can change the instance name of the package to the name you want. That's it. If there's an XML file in the package, it will have the actual name in there if you want that. Then you can place that into your mods folder.

I think typically for lots, you put the actual lot package file in your library folder and for sims in your savedsims folder.

These are steps for custom CCs, for store items etc, there are a few more steps but I'm not really familiar with them. Mainly I think you need to decrapify them with a decrapifier and then you can do the steps here. I think S3RC is the decrapifier people use. (Download Link)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 2:07 AM
I took a gander at that S3package viewer the other person suggested and it is so helpful so I think I am just gonna use that and not mess with converting the .sims3packs
I've never seen two options for downloads but maybe I wasn't looking, so I will definitely keep that in mind! I am curious though, do the .sims3packs make the game run slower vs a .package? I feel like when I'm in CAS it is taking forever for clothes to load when I switch between outfits tabs and my computer is not slow by any means. I built it myself (well the tech guy did, but I chose the parts!). I barely have any CAS cc downloaded. Just some hairs and a few outfits. Anyways, off topic but if you have a suggestion, please enlighten me

Ok, so most CC downloads they offer package and sim3pack, simply choose the package and avoid sims3pack. But every now and then you'll find a CC that only comes in sims3pack, in this case you can use whichever method to extract the package. For CAS, furnitures, etc.. they usually only comes with 1 package file, which is the mod file itself. Simply rename those and put it in the mods folder after extraction.

World files I still simply install them via launcher, but again, most world creators will have CCs in a separate file, so their world file is as clean as possible. I don't usually download lots and houses since I am a builder and I build my own stuff. However, the few that I did download, likewise there are usually an option to download the sims3pack that includes CCs or don't, then you have to download the CCs separately if you want them. I always choose the non-CC ones.

Store items and stuff, I don't have many, but those I do, I also just use the launcher, so I do have a combination of dccache and mods. I don't typically deal with decrapifying either, the last one I tried was someone uploaded the free tweezy that was out of circulation and needed it converted.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 3:20 AM
Thank you so much. I will definitely be getting the smoothing patch. I do happen to have NRAAS but it scares me lol. I've ruined games not knowing what I was doing. I'm assuming by removing the variants they are still available as options in create a pattern? How do you get it to only display the individual outfits? Please don't hit me! lol
Theoretically sims3pack should load faster as they are compressed into huge files in your dccache. This is the very reason why people started packing their package files using CC Magic or other programs, to get the same effect as dccache by merging a bunch of smaller CCs into one huge file.

However, my recommendation is not to do that because it makes it less flexible to remove certain CCs. Also in the age of SSD, where the random small files read is like 500x 1000x faster than HDD, this becomes unnecessary. But that's just my opinion.

The CAS loads slow because of the game logic clock. There is a mod that fixes this that was recently created by one of the creators who uploaded here in the download section. It is called the "smoothing patch." If you haven't got it, I recommend it. However, even so, there are limitations as this is a 32 bit program. If you also haven't gotten NRAAS MC, which can simplify the CAS display to only individual outfits rather than the 3 variants for each, this would also speed up loading.