Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 10:50 PM
Default Drive on the Other Side of the Road
I realized while helping this person:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=419667
that it should be relatively simple to write a program which will change the portals on every one of your lots in every neighborhood, so that cars drive on either the right or left side of the street.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 9:03 PM
Good idea if I do say so myself, haha ^^ Though one problem could be lot sizes. What about mini lots?

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 6:15 AM
Mini lots (1 tile wide) will have the same problems, whether or not you are using Right-Hand Drive. So, I suppose that you'll want to change those lots individually.

Do you have a different idea about how to handle this?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 4:26 AM
Well, my idea was to maybe take the Maxis cars and flip the meshes for them, then see if that changes where they sit? And if it doesn't maybe there's a way to change where the driver gets in. :/

This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 2:16 PM
Site Helper
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 11:33 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not working on a solution to swapping the driver side. My only contribution is likely to be swapping the portals automatically for all lots.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 2:14 AM
Okay. So what exactly are you proposing for switching every lot over? I have no clue about codes but just a general idea would be cool. I'd happily be your tester.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 6:57 AM
I've already written up a manual procedure for moving and rotating the portals. I assume that most people would actually prefer to have the portals on every lot in their neighborhood fixed. This sounds like a pretty tedious operation, but it should be pretty simple to program, especially since the LotAdjuster already contains most of the necessary code... I'd just need to strip out the appropriate bits into a new program, add a UI, and provide the option to switch between driving on the left and right sides of the road.

I understand that this is only a piece of the puzzle, but I'm not an object modder and have no idea how to get sims to sit on the other side of the car. My hope was that I would provide a program for the portals and someone else could answer questions such as:
- How to change the driver's side of the car.
- How to flip the driveway, so that sims pull out of the driveway properly.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 8:42 PM
What about that thing (I think) Plasticbox did with making driveways rotate? I've screwed up plenty times on that tutorial and had the driveways flipped around so the cars pulled in on the other side. :P

Site Helper
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 8:51 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 29th Sep 2010 at 9:06 PM.
Not quite sure what you're thinking about. Link?

Do you mean this technique?
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=164641

Have you tried putting a driveway on a lot with the portals flipped? The cars pull out to the right, so that they are facing left. Then, they jump because they're facing in the wrong direction. When they come back home, they drive in from the left, then suddenly rotate 180 degrees and drive into the driveway from the right. It's a bit bizarre.

To fix this, I assume that we would need a driveway with the street portion on the left of the driveway, rather than on the right side, plus the appropriate flipped animations.

Also, I when I was testing the "boolProp carsOnRight false" cheat, I thought that I saw the steering wheel on the other side of the car. At the time, I didn't pursue it, but I'd love to know whether the steering wheel actually flips when you use that cheat.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 3:33 AM
That was the tutorial and I will test that cheat and get you an answer as soon as I'm done transferring stuff to my temporary hard drive. They're ordering an F3 for me for next weekend. And I think we need an animator's opinion on that, really . . . I am NOT good at this stuff. :P

Site Helper
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 5:50 PM
Turning the driveway sideways won't change the fact that the car pulls out in the wrong direction. However, a simple solution is to use the driveway extension, rather than the main driveway piece. The driveway extension avoids the "pull out" animation, which will at least prevent sims from driving on the wrong side of the road.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 4:05 AM
And with invisible driveways nobody could ever tell. But what I was referring to is that the driveway itself flipped and they pulled in on the normal side even though it was flipped and the tiles pointed the other way, hence me calling it the "wrong" side.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 6:17 AM
Interesting. I've never seen the driveway actually flip, just rotate.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Oct 2010 at 5:54 PM
Hmm. I've tried to replicate it and now the stupid thing just wants to go sideways. T.T