Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Doctors Need Degrees

by KittyCarey Posted 10th Jun 2021 at 5:45 PM - Updated 27th Mar 2024 at 11:56 AM by KittyCarey

83 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 71 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Test Subject
#26 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 9:19 PM
Hi, I think I found a bug - when trying to find a job for pets (on the computer, I haven't tested on the newspaper) the description in the popup is blank. The action choices ('take job' and so on) are still there, so you can still get a job for your pet, but you won't know what it is until you take it. This occurs even if this mod is the only one installed.
Test Subject
#27 Old 18th Sep 2021 at 2:22 PM
Default Missing "Sim needs to be at work in one hour." text string.
Hi, absolutely love this mod and have been using it for awhile now. If they ever remaster the game, this gameplay change should be in from day 1!

I think there is a missing text string for when your Sim takes their own car to work instead of using the Carpool. Instead of "Sim needs to be at work in one hour." you get a blank message.

I've attached an image to demonstrate.

Thanks,
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 19th Nov 2021 at 6:29 PM Last edited by happenin_holly : 4th Dec 2021 at 6:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by D.J.ELMME
Hi, absolutely love this mod and have been using it for awhile now. If they ever remaster the game, this gameplay change should be in from day 1!

I think there is a missing text string for when your Sim takes their own car to work instead of using the Carpool. Instead of "Sim needs to be at work in one hour." you get a blank message.

Thanks,

I second this post. The only new mod I've installed is this one and this is happening in my game now too! Not a massive problem, but the blank notifications are a bit annoying.

Edit: I'm not sure this mod is working correctly for me. I do have a LOT of mods, but I did remove harderjobs and ran the HCDU and nothing came up, so maybe it's clashing with something you weren't aware of (possibly Simmodder's Increased Challenge Job Mod, which makes promotions slower?)

The problem is that people without degrees are getting promoted above the level you say they should be able to. (e.g. Jenny Smith, who has no degree and is treated by the game as a High School C Sim, should be limited to Level 3 in Medicine, but she got promoted to Level 4 once she reached the appropriate skills. It's not a massive problem - I can limit her manually, but I just thought I'd flag it in case there is another conflict that you weren't aware of!

Edit 2: Another slight issue I've found with the text strings - when someone is late to work, it comes up with the notification 'X's boss was unimpressed but found the money for his promotion anyway.' Not quite the right one! The previous combination of mods I had worked fine for jobs, but I thought this one sounded even better. Seems like it's too good to be true - it's kind of messing up my gameplay! I'll be uninstalling for now, but I hope you fix the various errors at some point and I'll come back and try it again. Thanks!

My avatar was the most beautiful teen I ever had in TS2, in a custom neighbourhood sadly lost to time about three laptops ago, but still remembered fondly!
Scholar
#29 Old 4th Dec 2021 at 7:52 AM
I love this mod. I've been using it since you released and now it's a must for me.
I also get the blank message, which is kinda weird, but I can live with it.

I just would like to make a resquest, if possible:
Could we have a version which allows promotion thru chance cards, even if the requeriments are not met? Chance cards never cared about requeriments, so it would make sense for me.
Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 2:54 PM
Hey, love the mod! I used Edukashun is Gud before, and I have replaced that mod with this one I did see one issue though: my Sim in the Education career track (first job, I don't know what it's called in English, playground overseer?) has no friends, no skills and needs one friend for a promotion. She got the "her would-be new boss is unimpressed with Erin's qualifications" message, though without that friend, she does not qualify for a promotion. She has the Wealth aspiration with the corresponding bonuses ticked off, but not the job bonuses except for extra vacation days. So it's not like she has the 'boss as a friend' bonus (which would show in the panel anyway).

EDIT: I'm going to translate the dialogue for my own use to Dutch. If you're interested, I can share my translation with you.
Test Subject
#31 Old 2nd May 2022 at 1:32 PM

Thanks,

@happenin_holly @KittyCarey So I fixed the text string for the carpool.

I opened the package file in SimPE.
Under AllRes (13) > Text Lists (STR#) (1) > [Text Lists]
Find 0x000D (13) $Object
Replace $Object with $Object needs be at work in one hour.
Commit File
File > Save

Works as intended now.
Instructor
#32 Old 19th May 2022 at 2:28 PM
Hi @KittyCarey

I ran into a problem with this mod.
Whenever my Sims get a bonus via a chance card, they receive a lot less money than stated on that chance card.
I tried this out with a Sim at the top of the military career. When you choose "vaporize" he should receive §55’000 with a 84% chance (or get fired with a 15% chance but I tried until I got the successful outcome).
With this mod my Sim only received §55 instead. I know the problem is this mod because I ran my game with only KittyCarey-DoctorsNeedDegrees-v1-1 and the CJ-SmarterEPCheck in and that’s when it occurred.

I hope you can help me. Because I really like this mod otherwise and enjoy playing with it a lot.
Test Subject
#33 Old 19th May 2022 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corax
Hi @KittyCarey

Whenever my Sims get a bonus via a chance card, they receive a lot less money than stated on that chance card.
I tried this out with a Sim at the top of the military career. When you choose "vaporize" he should receive §55’000 with a 84% chance (or get fired with a 15% chance but I tried until I got the successful outcome).
With this mod my Sim only received §55 instead. I know the problem is this mod because I ran my game with only KittyCarey-DoctorsNeedDegrees-v1-1 and the CJ-SmarterEPCheck in and that’s when it occurred.

I hope you can help me. Because I really like this mod otherwise and enjoy playing with it a lot.

Hi, I just tried this using the Chance Card Tester and I was able to get the correct sum of simoleons. Have you tried it without any other mods installed or tried to make this mod a higher load order priority?
Does this problem occur with the Ultimate Collection (I will assume yes)? Worked fine for me with just Uni + NL installed.
Instructor
#34 Old 20th May 2022 at 12:30 AM
Hi, I just tried this using the Chance Card Tester and I was able to get the correct sum of simoleons. Have you tried it without any other mods installed or tried to make this mod a higher load order priority?
Does this problem occur with the Ultimate Collection (I will assume yes)? Worked fine for me with just Uni + NL installed.

Thanks for replying! Yes, as stated above I had only this mod (and SmarterEPCheck which is required for this mod to work) in my Downloads folder and nothing else. But it did indeed happen with the Ultimate Collection. Interesting that it works fine with UNI+NL.

I also tried the fix for the carpool text string you posted above (Thanks for posting that by the way! Stuff like that is always super useful). However, that fix didn't work for me (once again I tested the fix with no other mods installed). So now I'm wondering if it's also because I play with the Ultimate Collection.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#35 Old 20th May 2022 at 3:30 AM Last edited by KittyCarey : 20th May 2022 at 3:47 AM.
Hi @KittyCarey

@Corax - It's good to have this message, because I also have Ultimate Collection, and I've also experienced this error (though with the chance card on level 9 of Criminal rather than the Military one, but similar numbers). I'm investigating the issue, but it might not be very quick as I've got some personal stuff to deal with at the moment. For anyone else reading this, the errors occur when a sim gets a chance card at a high level, where the bonus should be in thousands of § and the "thousand" bit disappears. It doesn't occur at lower levels.

Can you let me know so I can track down exactly where the error appears - does your sim get the "Big Bonus" memory or not?

I am also now investigating the text for driving your own car as well.
Instructor
#36 Old 20th May 2022 at 2:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCarey
@Corax - It's good to have this message, because I also have Ultimate Collection, and I've also experienced this error (though with the chance card on level 9 of Criminal rather than the Military one, but similar numbers). I'm investigating the issue, but it might not be very quick as I've got some personal stuff to deal with at the moment. For anyone else reading this, the errors occur when a sim gets a chance card at a high level, where the bonus should be in thousands of § and the "thousand" bit disappears. It doesn't occur at lower levels.

Can you let me know so I can track down exactly where the error appears - does your sim get the "Big Bonus" memory or not?

@KittyCarey Thanks a lot for replying so quickly despite having personal stuff to deal with. Don’t worry about this, real life stuff always takes priority. I wish you a lot of strength for whatever you’re going through and that it will work out eventually.

As for the error, I also experienced this throughout all the careers, not just military. I just thought it would be easier to illustrate the issue with an actual example.
I didn’t think about it being helpful to you to know which errors are occurring with which game configuration, so I didn’t repeat what the others said. But it makes a lot of sense that you actually need this info as well so I will list all the ones I experienced up to now.

Playing with the Ultimate Collection and only this mod and SmarterEPCheck in the Downloads folder, the following errors occur:

• The bonus from a high level chance card gets paid out but the amount stated on the chance card is divided by a 1000 before being paid out. The Sim still gets the right memory of having received a big bonus.
  • When having a car assigned to a Sim the message about how the Sim needs to be at work in an hour appears blank.
  • When looking for a pet job in the computer (haven’t tested newspaper) the job selection window that pops up is also blank, so you don’t know which job you’re accepting or declining.
Test Subject
#37 Old 20th May 2022 at 6:27 PM Last edited by D.J.ELMME : 20th May 2022 at 11:08 PM.
Thanks for replying! Yes, as stated above I had only this mod (and SmarterEPCheck which is required for this mod to work) in my Downloads folder and nothing else. But it did indeed happen with the Ultimate Collection. Interesting that it works fine with UNI+NL.

I also tried the fix for the carpool text string you posted above (Thanks for posting that by the way! Stuff like that is always super useful). However, that fix didn't work for me (once again I tested the fix with no other mods installed). So now I'm wondering if it's also because I play with the Ultimate Collection.

I guess you could try the version I "fixed" as you already know, it worked for NL+UNI. If I get some time I will check it with Ultimate Collection too.

I just tried again but with the Criminal Career at Level 9. Correct sum of simoleons was given - earned 50k memory given - got Big Bonus memory given too.

UPDATE: Fresh install of Ultimate collection on a different device. I've copied my entire downloads folder from NL + Uni which includes this mod. Carpool text string works with the file linked. I tested the chance card in one instance my sim was fined -§25,000 but it only took -§25 in the other instance I earned §55,000 but received §55 - the Big Bonus memory occurs. I may install Pets at some point to test blank job finder window, I know in UC it was missing.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  z_KittyCarey-DoctorsNeedDegrees-v1-1.rar (22.3 KB, 9 downloads)
Description: Carpool text fix (NL + UNI)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#38 Old 22nd May 2022 at 5:13 AM
Playing with the Ultimate Collection and only this mod and SmarterEPCheck in the Downloads folder, the following errors occur:
  • The bonus from a high level chance card gets paid out but the amount stated on the chance card is divided by a 1000 before being paid out. The Sim still gets the right memory of having received a big bonus.
  • When having a car assigned to a Sim the message about how the Sim needs to be at work in an hour appears blank.
  • When looking for a pet job in the computer (haven’t tested newspaper) the job selection window that pops up is also blank, so you don’t know which job you’re accepting or declining.

Please download version 1.2 - I have definitely fixed the car message (and a few others that were also wonky). I believe I have now fixed the chance card money issue, as it is working again in my game, but as I'm not exactly sure why this fix is working when the original didn't it's possible it's not a fix for everything (in which case let me know and I'll have another go at it).

As far as the pet job search is concerned, it's working in my game with UC. However I don't play with pet jobs, so I confess I don't know whether it was working beforehand (in which case I'm afraid I'm not sure how to fix it) or whether it wasn't working before and has now been fixed with the messages update. At any rate, give this version a try.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#39 Old 22nd May 2022 at 5:17 AM
I just tried again but with the Criminal Career at Level 9. Correct sum of simoleons was given - earned 50k memory given - got Big Bonus memory given too.

UPDATE: Fresh install of Ultimate collection on a different device. I've copied my entire downloads folder from NL + Uni which includes this mod. Carpool text string works with the file linked. I tested the chance card in one instance my sim was fined -§25,000 but it only took -§25 in the other instance I earned §55,000 but received §55 - the Big Bonus memory occurs. I may install Pets at some point to test blank job finder window, I know in UC it was missing.

@D.J.ELMME, thank you for your attempts at fixing things, and your suggestions. I've now done a bigger update, and I'd love to check whether it works for your game without Ultimate Collection - I don't have anything else to use to test things, and I hope my fix for UC doesn't break things for everyone else.
Test Subject
#40 Old 22nd May 2022 at 11:00 AM
@D.J.ELMME, thank you for your attempts at fixing things, and your suggestions. I've now done a bigger update, and I'd love to check whether it works for your game without Ultimate Collection - I don't have anything else to use to test things, and I hope my fix for UC doesn't break things for everyone else.

Legend! Thanks for this.

Tested with Uni + NL and Ultimate Collection and all issues previously discussed worked as expected.

Congratulations on this update!
Instructor
#41 Old 22nd May 2022 at 7:53 PM
Please download version 1.2 - I have definitely fixed the car message (and a few others that were also wonky). I believe I have now fixed the chance card money issue, as it is working again in my game, but as I'm not exactly sure why this fix is working when the original didn't it's possible it's not a fix for everything (in which case let me know and I'll have another go at it).

As far as the pet job search is concerned, it's working in my game with UC. However I don't play with pet jobs, so I confess I don't know whether it was working beforehand (in which case I'm afraid I'm not sure how to fix it) or whether it wasn't working before and has now been fixed with the messages update. At any rate, give this version a try.

I tried it out and all three things work without issue now. The correct bonus money is given as well as the big bonus memory, and both the car message and the pet job windows are not blank anymore. Thank you so so much for fixing everything so quickly, that is amazing!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#42 Old 27th May 2022 at 7:34 AM
I'm so glad the sims 2 modding community is still alive to this day. Thanks!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#43 Old 19th Jul 2022 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amura
I just would like to make a resquest, if possible:
Could we have a version which allows promotion thru chance cards, even if the requeriments are not met? Chance cards never cared about requeriments, so it would make sense for me.
Thanks!

You should be able to edit the mod quite easily to do this - open it up in SimPE, and delete the BHAV called "Sub - Chance Card - Results" and the one called "Sub - Chance Card - Alter Budget", and chance cards will ignore the mod.

I made the mod to include chance cards because they were part of what annoyed me. I work in one of the jobs that has a "hard" degree requirement (in fact it requires a specific advanced degree), and it is literally in my contract that I will get fired immediately if my employer ever discovered that my degree was fake (luckily, it's very much real ). A lucky interaction could get me a promotion that I maybe hadn't demonstrated all the skills for, but nothing could get around a missing degree.
Scholar
#44 Old 19th Jul 2022 at 11:31 AM
You should be able to edit the mod quite easily to do this - open it up in SimPE, and delete the BHAV called "Sub - Chance Card - Results" and the one called "Sub - Chance Card - Alter Budget", and chance cards will ignore the mod.

I made the mod to include chance cards because they were part of what annoyed me. I work in one of the jobs that has a "hard" degree requirement (in fact it requires a specific advanced degree), and it is literally in my contract that I will get fired immediately if my employer ever discovered that my degree was fake (luckily, it's very much real ). A lucky interaction could get me a promotion that I maybe hadn't demonstrated all the skills for, but nothing could get around a missing degree.

Thank you very much for the info, I'll try it!

IRL that's all very true, but many of the things that happen in my game do not have a realistic counterpart. Matchmakers bringing genie lamps? Human-eating cowplants? Alien abduction and male pregnancy?
As a player I love that modding our game allows us to decide in which aspects we do want realism and in which we don't. And I appreciate you took the time to explaining me to tweak your mod to my own tastes <3
Instructor
#45 Old 22nd Sep 2022 at 1:27 PM
Hi @KittyCarey

I have another bug report: When Sims get money from hobby chance cards, the amount stated on the chance card gets multplied by 1'000 before given to the Sim.
Below I have an example for the science hobby but it also happened for other hobbies. Although I haven't tested all of them because waiting the right outcome for 10 different hobbies is quite tedious and I hoped there would be a faster and easier way for you to check which ones are affected by looking at the code. After a while I thought it's probable that this bug occurs with all of them.

Example:
Hobby Card Science (called "Work 2" in the Chance Card Tester): A co-worker offers a stargazing trip. If you don't accept the offer, (in case of a good outcome) instead of gaining §150, the Sim gained §150'000.
This happened with only "KittyCarey-DoctorsNeedDegrees-v1-2.package" and "CJ-SmarterEPCheck.package" in the downloads folder.
Test Subject
#46 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 4:29 AM
Hi, I just downloaded this, and I am trying to get my Sim (fresh adult, no uni) into the show business career. However, every time he goes to the computer or newspaper, no uni careers show up. It could just be luck, but I thought I'd check to see if anything was wrong. Are they supposed to be able to access all careers through the normal methods, or do I need an additional mod for this?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#47 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 7:58 AM
I have another bug report: When Sims get money from hobby chance cards, the amount stated on the chance card gets multplied by 1'000 before given to the Sim.
Below I have an example for the science hobby but it also happened for other hobbies. Although I haven't tested all of them because waiting the right outcome for 10 different hobbies is quite tedious and I hoped there would be a faster and easier way for you to check which ones are affected by looking at the code. After a while I thought it's probable that this bug occurs with all of them.

I will have a hunt through the code and see what I can do, but it might take a little while. Can I just confirm, what job level is the sim you tested it with at?

Quote: Originally posted by meeks926
Hi, I just downloaded this, and I am trying to get my Sim (fresh adult, no uni) into the show business career. However, every time he goes to the computer or newspaper, no uni careers show up. It could just be luck, but I thought I'd check to see if anything was wrong. Are they supposed to be able to access all careers through the normal methods, or do I need an additional mod for this?

Sims should be able to access all careers through the normal methods, and my sims have certainly got jobs in Show Business without degrees (and the other uni careers), so I'm inclined to put this down to bad luck. If the issue persists, let me know and I can investigate.
Instructor
#48 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 1:12 PM
I will have a hunt through the code and see what I can do, but it might take a little while. Can I just confirm, what job level is the sim you tested it with at?

No worries and thank you! This happened at job level 7, 9, and 10. Oh, and I forgot to mention that every time this happened sims would get the "got a big bonus" memory.
Test Subject
#49 Old 3rd Oct 2022 at 11:22 PM
Thank you for the mod, it's awesome! Just wanted to post to say that I also just experienced the "huge bonus" glitch the previous post described. My sim got a chance card that got him a promotion from SWAT team leader, but he didn't end up getting the promotion. Instead he got a bonus of 1.87 million or so! Haha
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#50 Old 6th Oct 2022 at 12:16 PM
No worries and thank you! This happened at job level 7, 9, and 10. Oh, and I forgot to mention that every time this happened sims would get the "got a big bonus" memory.

@Corax - Thanks for clarifying that. I've had a go at fixing it, as it looks like a game error (though it's entirely possible the game had a way round it that my mod was messing up). I've attempted a fix, but I don't have time to test it and won't for a while, so I'm uploading it here if you'd like to do some testing. Otherwise I'll test as soon as I get the chance and upload in the download tab.

Quote: Originally posted by llamawhisperer
Thank you for the mod, it's awesome! Just wanted to post to say that I also just experienced the "huge bonus" glitch the previous post described. My sim got a chance card that got him a promotion from SWAT team leader, but he didn't end up getting the promotion. Instead he got a bonus of 1.87 million or so! Haha

So it turns out this was a separate glitch I'd missed, as it only happens if you don't get a promotion to level 7 or above. This should be fixed in the version 1.3 below, so feel free to test this one out if you'd like, or I should be able to get it tested and uploaded to the download tab.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  KittyCarey-DoctorsNeedDegrees-v1-3.zip (39.7 KB, 32 downloads)
Page 2 of 4