Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 8:25 AM
Default Is there a college course or something I can take to help me understand how to create my own CC / Mods?
Hello. I have been considering going back to school for some time now. I have always wanted to learn to create my own mods and CC. I'm wondering if that is considered programing? It might be a dumb question but if someone could point me in the right direction?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 7:28 PM
The vast majority of mods are made with XML/tuning files (not a programming language), which a college course wouldn't help with as the S4 XML is unique to S4 only. However, if you ever want to create massive complicated mods like MCCC and Wonderful Whims (or it's NSFW counterpart), you will need some knowledge of Python. You can easily learn it with free online resources though (it's one of the easier and well documented languages), and the way you use Python for S4 differs a bit anyhow and there's only some documentation, so you will still have some struggle that a college course won't be able to help with. And CC is extremely easy to learn, there's plenty of Blender and S4S tutorials and has nothing to do with programming. So no, I don't think you should take any college courses to pursue programming unless you have a passion for it and see yourself in game development. So if you're curious in general about programming, I'd recommend spending time learning Python or something like Javascript online first, try to make some simple things with it, see if any of it interests you long-term to commit to programming as a future.

If you just want to learn to mod only though, then I'd recommend looking at the tuning tutorials we have spread around, start with overrides and make sure you understand the basics and can easily navigate files, then try to create custom mods.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 5:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
The vast majority of mods are made with XML/tuning files (not a programming language), which a college course wouldn't help with as the S4 XML is unique to S4 only. However, if you ever want to create massive complicated mods like MCCC and Wonderful Whims (or it's NSFW counterpart), you will need some knowledge of Python. You can easily learn it with free online resources though (it's one of the easier and well documented languages), and the way you use Python for S4 differs a bit anyhow and there's only some documentation, so you will still have some struggle that a college course won't be able to help with. And CC is extremely easy to learn, there's plenty of Blender and S4S tutorials and has nothing to do with programming. So no, I don't think you should take any college courses to pursue programming unless you have a passion for it and see yourself in game development. So if you're curious in general about programming, I'd recommend spending time learning Python or something like Javascript online first, try to make some simple things with it, see if any of it interests you long-term to commit to programming as a future.

If you just want to learn to mod only though, then I'd recommend looking at the tuning tutorials we have spread around, start with overrides and make sure you understand the basics and can easily navigate files, then try to create custom mods.

Thank you. This answers my question.