Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 8:30 AM
Help With Cleaning A Lot For Upload
Hi!
I hope this is the correct place to post. I assumed it is the closest option for my question since it's related to creating content.

I have spent the past few hours trying to find information about uploading a residential lot onto MTS. I've been a member for a long time and just recently came across my sims 2 game again. I started from scratch as I couldn't find my save files from by game from circa 2012. But I've been having a lot of fun playing and creating!

Anyways, I have this lot that I created and am quite proud of. But when I read the guidelines it says not to upload a lot if a sim has ever been on it. I of course want to abide by the rules and don't want to do anything that would corrupt anyone's game. I had a corrupt game/neighborhood in the past and it wasn't fun. During my research I found that it's pretty easy for Sims 2 to become corrupt. I didn't realize you can't just delete a sim from the sim bin without that risk.

I did have a sim on my lot for a few seconds so I am worried. I found information about cleaning this lot so that there is no trace of sim data: http://modthesims.info/archive/index.php?t-609188.html

My question is: is it safe to upload if I clean the lot? Or should I try to re-create the lot and then share on MTS?
I also read you should always "clean" a lot before you upload it regardless, is this true?

If so, I have another question:
I have Sims2Pack Clean Installer and just recently downloaded Chris' Lot Compressor tool.
I tried to use Chris' tool and ran into an issue. I couldn't find my lot in the Lot Catalog folder. So I looked in my Packaged Lots folder. It contained the lot I was looking for but was a sims 2 pack files instead of .package file. Do I need to install my own creations into my game for them to show up as a package file? I packaged my lot but I don't understand why it's not a .package file. Am I missing something?

Sorry for the many questions. As you can see I'm quite a newb at packaging/uploading lots
Back in the day I mainly created sims and dabbled in recoloring clothing/skin/hair.

I always enjoyed building houses, but now I would love the ability to share them.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 9:57 AM
Clean the lot, easiest is with Chris Hatch's Lot Compressor add on. Then mention that a sim has been in this lot and that you cleaned it with this. I believe the lot is safe.

Quote:
Method Two.
Download the Lot Compressor with add on by Chris Hatch http://simfileshare.net/download/479352/
Add this to your SimPE folder.
Make sure the house you want to clean is empty of sims, graves and pets.
Run the Lot Compressor telling it the name of the lot you want to clean. The lot does not need to be packaged.
Tell it to remove Sim details.
Done.

This is the method for using Chris's add on. Which part of the instruction are you having trouble on?
You are not looking for the lot in the Lot Catalog folder, that is method one which is doing it manually in simPE.
Just follow the steps for method two.

I would do up a picture for you but unfortunately, my second hard drive with my sims 2 Document folder fried on Sunday and have no game until I get things fixed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 12:53 AM
Ahhh!!! Thanks so much for the response joandsarah77!!

I was so confused lol! I think I was trying to do it the SimPE way and I don't even have SimPE

I have another question. After I clean it , I repackage it. Then I open the lot in Clean Installer and Save it as a new file and then upload, correct?

Also will it be safe to add to the lots and houses bin or is it safer for me to re-download my house if I want to use it in another neighborhood. Or is that just silly? lol

I really don't know what I'm doing but I really want to learn
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by brizzle93
Ahhh!!! Thanks so much for the response joandsarah77!!

I was so confused lol! I think I was trying to do it the SimPE way and I don't even have SimPE

I have another question. After I clean it , I repackage it. Then I open the lot in Clean Installer and Save it as a new file and then upload, correct?

Also will it be safe to add to the lots and houses bin or is it safer for me to re-download my house if I want to use it in another neighborhood. Or is that just silly? lol

I really don't know what I'm doing but I really want to learn

You have to have SimPE for either method. First one is done manually in SimPE second method you have to drop Chris's file into simPE.

Do you have any custom content in the lot? When you open it in CI check what shows up as some things will try and get a piggy back ride like the roadside bin/trash can, stairs and some other items.
Untick anything that is trying to hitchhike and do save as 'slightly different name'
Then rar it.
You can use the clean lot as you want, it's safe because you removed the sim references and any hacks.

Another thing to be aware of is the Super Duper Hug, which is Maxis modding code that can become active in your game, either by removing a badly made social mod or it can come in a lot as an invisible passenger. It's Maxis code which should stay where it belongs in the installation files. You should have No Sim Loaded in your game at all times (Plus Smarter EP check that it needs) to stop this ever becoming active. As a lot uploader, you don't want to share the 'sim lot herpes' around. This is still not as huge a deal though as sim references or hacks in lots. It does not cause corruption, it's just really annoying Maxis code. These mods are on the recommended essential mod list that all sims 2 players should use but not everyone knows about them.
If your game shows no sign of this (sims doing deep nonstop indiscriminate hugging) and you don't have those two mods ^ stop and go get them to keep your game free of it. http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/thread-1665.html NSL keeps your game free and clean of other buggy bits too. It checks a lot on loading and puts up a short report saying how many tokens and sim states it's fixed. There are 3 versions with each one cleaning up more stuff. Anyone of them will stop the Hug Bug.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 1:37 AM
I thought Chris mentioned it's possible to run his program using Mootilda's original Lot Compressor?

I do have custom content. I opened the lot in CI to check out what items could be piggy backing. I noticed a lot of extra re-colors and items that I placed in the house but decided to delete later because I didn't like how it looked.
I have quite a bit of custom content in this house and I guess I will have to go through it with a fine tooth comb so that the lot only contains what is needed. I saw a tutorial that suggest you click on the lot/houses button in CI to get rid of unwanted stuff. But I have a lot of CC so I really have to pay attention to which items are going into the house. I wish I had set myself up for success in that way and took note as I was making the house. I didn't know I wanted to share the house until now. You live and you learn.

Thank you for the heads up about the Super Duber Hug. I've never downloaded a mod before but you're saying if I download a lot that someone has made, unnecessary maxis code could make it's way into my game? And I should get No Sim Loaded and Smarter EP to prevent it? Just want to make sure I am following.

Thank you for being so helful
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 10:27 AM
Yes it's an add on but you place the file in the SimPE folder.

The easiest way to build with cc and know what it is, is to make a CC free sims 2 folder (Just rename it and run the game) then install just the cc you want in that folder. This is cc that the creator says is okay to upload in lots, some creators don't have a free policy, for example some on TSR do not. Most creators on MTS do.
The other way is to simply link to the set. Do this for creators who say you can't re-upload their items. Also recommend this for recolours because it can be really hard to tell what you used looking through Clean Installer.

Yes and you should get the essential mods to help prevent corruption.
No corrupt death
No Unlink on delete
No Sim Loaded plus Smarter EP check
The Bat box.
If you play vampires, also get Creature Fixes.
There are hundreds of mods to fix small bugs and add gameplay but make sure you have the basic mods to help keep your game running okay.

And yes, if they have the SDH (and they can without knowing it) and you install their lot, it transfers to your game. You can immediately hide the SDH with No Sim Loaded and a couple of other mods,but it's better not to get it at all, especialy if you want to upload lots.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#7 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by brizzle93
I thought Chris mentioned it's possible to run his program using Mootilda's original Lot Compressor?

Yes, Lot Compressor uses several .DLLs from SimPE which Mootilda's original includes. If you don't have SimPE then you can just replace Mootilda's original executable file with the updated one.
If your lot has been into Live Mode at all then I recommend using CJH_LotCleaner.zip (instructions included). Lot Cleaner will remove the Super Duper Hug bug if it exists.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Yes it's an add on but you place the file in the SimPE folder.

The easiest way to build with cc and know what it is, is to make a CC free sims 2 folder (Just rename it and run the game) then install just the cc you want in that folder. This is cc that the creator says is okay to upload in lots, some creators don't have a free policy, for example some on TSR do not. Most creators on MTS do.
The other way is to simply link to the set. Do this for creators who say you can't re-upload their items. Also recommend this for recolours because it can be really hard to tell what you used looking through Clean Installer.

Yes and you should get the essential mods to help prevent corruption.
No corrupt death
No Unlink on delete
No Sim Loaded plus Smarter EP check
The Bat box.
If you play vampires, also get Creature Fixes.
There are hundreds of mods to fix small bugs and add gameplay but make sure you have the basic mods to help keep your game running okay.

And yes, if they have the SDH (and they can without knowing it) and you install their lot, it transfers to your game. You can immediately hide the SDH with No Sim Loaded and a couple of other mods,but it's better not to get it at all, especialy if you want to upload lots.

I feel like I have so much to learn lol.
Thank you so much for all the helpful tips!!! It's much appreciated <3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Yes, Lot Compressor uses several .DLLs from SimPE which Mootilda's original includes. If you don't have SimPE then you can just replace Mootilda's original executable file with the updated one.
If your lot has been into Live Mode at all then I recommend using CJH_LotCleaner.zip (instructions included). Lot Cleaner will remove the Super Duper Hug bug if it exists.

Thank you so much Chris!! You are an angel!! :D
Test Subject
#10 Old 4th Jun 2020 at 6:38 PM
Hey brizzle93! I'm in the same boat, longtime lurker and lover of MTS thinking about starting to upload building lots too! Would love to hear how you're getting along?

Thanks for asking all these questions, all stuff I was wondering too! and thanks joandsarah77 for all the answers

I'm thinking after reading around (and as well as what you've said here too) that the safest option might be to remake my favourite lots in a new neighbourhood for uploading... would that be a good move?