Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 9:34 AM Last edited by HarVee : 20th Aug 2021 at 12:01 AM.
Default [Feedback Wanted] Plot of Land - Rural Desert Nhood
OVERVIEW:
Plot of Land was a 'hood born out of boredom. Originally I shared an image of it in the neighborhood landscape pictures thread and @simsample gave me the idea of sharing it. Currently the nhood is still in development and does not have a download link yet as there is much left to do. It is a rural Cencus-designated place set in the present day. It is situated near a large body of water in a fictionalized version of the Mojave Desert (think Las Vegas) some 30+ miles south of Strangetown. The town was founded by Lucien Babybat III and development was/is funded by Malcolm Landgraab.

STORY:
This neighborhood takes place 18 years after the events of The Sims Bustin' Out (console).

Plot of Land is a small rural town located south of Strangetown. The town has recently opened to tourism after the previous owner of the land and town founder, Lucien Babybat III, sold all of the land to businessman Malcolm Landgraab. Landgraab has been said to be investing in the town's future by some, others tend to believe that he's abusing the rights of all residents that originally lived here during the Babybat era. Will the increase of immigrants and tourists bring prosperity for the sleepy town, or will it tear the town apart?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 10:42 AM
Looks really great! I love the idea of the planes landing in that field.
What kind of community lots do you have? I think I can see a church, maybe a community center or a bar would be good, if you haven't got them already?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Looks really great! I love the idea of the planes landing in that field.
What kind of community lots do you have? I think I can see a church, maybe a community center or a bar would be good, if you haven't got them already?

Currently there is only a church/graveyard combo. Basically a place where you can get married in a community setting and a place to store some of the graves for future residents. I just got finished doing a makeover of the lot, and I named it Coot's Chapel after a location in Red Dead Redemption 1&2. The images in this post shows the current, as of this post, version of the lot.

As for a bar, I do think that's a neat idea! Sims could use a place to drown their sorrows.
Screenshots

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 2:37 PM
That chapel is beautiful!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 9:20 PM
For this update I have two small shops. One is an empty OFB-ready store, the other is a small tavern/bar. What are your thoughts on these? Red Fist Tavern and 379 Babybat Highway:
Screenshots

#6 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 10:43 PM
I love the way you are decorating your hood! I really get a good sense of the small town desert vibe. I think your lots are beautiful too. I know the size of the buildings fits in with your small town theme, but I personally like just a tiny bit of extra space for gameplay/routing reasons. For some households I love squeezing 10 Sims into a tiny two bedroom house for the extra challenge, but for community lots I like to have just a bit of extra space. The only real issue I could see having in my game would be a long line at the cash register blocking some Sims, but maybe that's just me. I am excited to see where this goes!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BeckyBoo8
I love the way you are decorating your hood! I really get a good sense of the small town desert vibe. I think your lots are beautiful too. I know the size of the buildings fits in with your small town theme, but I personally like just a tiny bit of extra space for gameplay/routing reasons. For some households I love squeezing 10 Sims into a tiny two bedroom house for the extra challenge, but for community lots I like to have just a bit of extra space. The only real issue I could see having in my game would be a long line at the cash register blocking some Sims, but maybe that's just me. I am excited to see where this goes!

Thanks for your feedback and kind words!

For lot/building sizes, I've been using the lot adjuster program to extend the lot sizes so players have more room to expand and addon to the buildings. Red Fist Tavern now sits on a 30x30 lot, 379 Babybat Highway now sits on a 20x20 lot, and Coot's Chapel now sits on a 20x40 lot. The buildings themselves remain the same, but if serious routing issues persist in the testing phase I will edit the buildings to fix them.

For the cash register, I'm glad you pointed that out. I had a feeling that it might cause some Sims to be blocked from the front entrance, which is why I added a door in the back (shown in the picture) as a safe measure. If the blockage is persistent enough to become a problem in the testing phase of the lot, I will find a better solution.

Theorist
#8 Old 17th Aug 2021 at 8:08 AM
Hello. Good looking! I think you could create some story around Mexican characters or grab some inspiration from films.
Regards Vic ^_^

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Aug 2021 at 1:05 AM Last edited by HarVee : 18th Aug 2021 at 2:42 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
Hello. Good looking! I think you could create some story around Mexican characters or grab some inspiration from films.
Regards Vic ^_^

That's not a bad idea! I'm not very familiar with Mexican media though. Do you have any recommendations on names and/or films for me to watch?

Also, new update. This time we have 3 single-wide mobile homes to go with our rural theme. Only have images from nhood view at the moment.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 12:08 AM Last edited by HarVee : 20th Aug 2021 at 12:37 AM.
Posting to say that I updated the OP with a list of Sims that I have planned and am in the process of creating for this neighborhood. The characters are a mix of different ethnicities.

I've also updated a bit of the story line. I've decided that this 'hood will take inspiration from the console versions The Sims Bustin' Out, which is a Sims game that has always been one of my favourites in the series. However, it has been a long time since I have played Bustin' Out so many of the Sims and events that will be referenced in this story may not be 100-percent to their Bustin' Out counterparts. Please give me feedback on the general story direction as I'd like to know what would make the story more interesting to play for you.

In the upcoming days I'll be updating the OP again to display images of the current state of the neighborhood as well as all of the lots. We are almost to a testing release and I am excited.

Theorist
#11 Old 20th Aug 2021 at 8:18 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 20th Aug 2021 at 8:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Posting to say that I updated the OP with a list of Sims that I have planned and am in the process of creating for this neighborhood. The characters are a mix of different ethnicities.

I've also updated a bit of the story line. I've decided that this 'hood will take inspiration from the console versions The Sims Bustin' Out, which is a Sims game that has always been one of my favourites in the series. However, it has been a long time since I have played Bustin' Out so many of the Sims and events that will be referenced in this story may not be 100-percent to their Bustin' Out counterparts. Please give me feedback on the general story direction as I'd like to know what would make the story more interesting to play for you.

In the upcoming days I'll be updating the OP again to display images of the current state of the neighborhood as well as all of the lots. We are almost to a testing release and I am excited.

I amn not expeirenced in Mexican also. The SIms Bustin' Out has Mama and her son. And that's something about missions missions. That's all I remember about those game. You might find more information about it in wiki. Your neighborhood reminds me of Strangetown from PSP. I have one sim recreated from there with name Marie Au Lait.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 8:39 PM
I love the way the houses look, this neighborhood is going to be a lot of fun to play with. :lovestruc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 4:26 AM
Haven't forgotten about this 'hood at all. Just having some troubles IRL that prevent me from focusing time into it. But I will eventually get around to uploading a Beta. You can mark my words on that.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
I absolutely LOVE what you are doing @HarVee

The only thing I can see a problem with is when the NPC's and other sims come to visit the bar and some of your lots, because usually at some bar 8 sims sometimes, will show up on a tiny Bar lot on my game at least. And it can leave your small community lots kind of crowded, with NPC's and future residents, I LOVE the realism. too.

Make sure you leave links to the Custom Content you have used in the neighborhood like I did with my tester, otherwise those objects will not show up when other people download and use your new neighborhood. make sure you rename the files that go with your neighborhood so they are not N004 like mine was too.

The folder and file names have been changed to HVPL and the internal id of the 'hood was changed as well using SimPE, so shouldn't conflict with any 'hoods out there that I know of.

For CC I am going to upload a folder called "PlotOfLandCC" to simfileshare, in it will contain all the CC you need to run this 'hood as well as links to the creator's homepage/tumblr/etc. I figure doing it this way is easy than having people try to track down each and every piece of CC. I mean let's be honest, that doesn't sound like fun to me and I know if I was in a downloader's shoes I'd just want to play already.

Thanks for your feedback on the size of the lots, I haven't run into issues yet, but I will be keeping my eye open in case they arise. Luckily I expanded the lots using LotAdjuster program, so there is plenty of room outside for Sims to wander, and if need be with said extra room comes the ability to easily renovate the building itself.

Theorist
#17 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 12:31 AM
Is there any chance you will share newshots, HarVee? I am impressed and on watch of breaking news.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 8:28 PM
Is there any chance you will share newshots, HarVee? I am impressed and on watch of breaking news.

There isn't much to show I'm afraid, but we do have a new store. "Sloppy Seconds Thrift Shop". It functions as a clothing store where you can also buy video games and get your photo taken in the photobooth. See images below.

Theorist
#19 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 7:39 PM
hm hm. Is that ok you have two types of wall speakers in one room for this property?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Oct 2021 at 10:08 PM
hm hm. Is that ok you have two types of wall speakers in one room for this property?

They seem to work fine. The speakers are in different rooms.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 5:41 PM
Do You plan on putting a trailer park, apartment or group home lot as well?

I have no plans for a group home lot. We do have a trailer park though, however, it doesn't function as an AL apartment since it is technically 3 different residential lots. The neighborhood story explains that all of the lots belong to Malcolm Landgraab so when you pay your 'bills' you're in a way paying Malcolm rent so having an AL apartment that would generate a landlord that isn't Malcolm doesn't make sense.

Posting to say all of the families, excluding Mackenson, have been played for at least one game week and all seems fine. So what's left to do?

Move in the Mackenson household.
Finish writing Boulder family story arch.
Build relationships between a couple of Sims to better match the story.
Finish writing Bio's for a couple of the Sims.
Finish making townies.
Finish testing community lots.
Take some newer screenshots.

For now, here's a couple of images of the current state of the 'hood;
Screenshots

Theorist
#22 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 8:46 PM
Need help with testing?
I noticed you have three different types of planes with different colors. Are that CC?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th Oct 2021 at 12:33 AM Last edited by HarVee : 26th Jan 2022 at 9:06 PM.
Need help with testing?
I noticed you have three different types of planes with different colors. Are that CC?

Yep and yep.

I need to package up the CC, but I'm close enough to release this for testers now. Give me a couple of days and I'll have a download ready for everyone.

Edit: Don't expect a DL for some time. Real life issues in the way.

Theorist
#25 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 11:40 AM
I wanted to add maybe creating foreign people for your town, maybe some the NPC could have tan skin or be Arabic or Native American like? since the sims are living in a desert after all and also naming them foreign names like I just said earlier might be kind of cool, basically when I play the sims I like to think I am living in a different country so this I just wanted to add to this, I'll also post this conversation in the CFF to see what others think as well

Yeah. I told a little before about foreign characters. The mexican are good, butnative american could also make sense.

Page 1 of 2