Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 12:45 PM
Default Campfire that I can cook on (Homeless / Castaway challenge cooking)
I know lots of people have done homeless / castaway challenges before, so I'm hoping there's something out there that works for cooking on those lots.

My first thought was a campfire or disposable-style barbecue that I can roast marshmallows on? I'm not bothered about the complete cooking experience, but I've got a pond on the lot I'm using for my homeless sims, so they can fish? I don't really want them to have a full-sized grill, but a small one they could realistically carry around would be perfect.

Any other suggestions for motive building things for these lots would also be useful. Is there a wash in pond mod? (I have tents and an outdoor toilet, and social and fun should be ok if there are multiple sims on the lot, comfort and environment shouldn't be high realistically.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:03 AM
I know it says Victorian, but roasting a sausage over a few logs is kind of timeless. https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...ving/id/821647/

There's also a hobo set here. https://archive.org/details/simslicehoboset
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:47 AM
Alchemist
#5 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 6:59 AM
I've done mini challenges where my sims are camping/living off the land for a bit and can recommend a few things. For stoves, I usually don't mind placing down a grill everywhere (I usually use the BG park one, or TheNinthWave's TS3 Store's BBQ Beach Grill), since my sims' encampments are a bit more permanent. But there's also:
Phaenoh's Open Coals Rotisserie Spit
BitzyBus' Teen Beach Party - Barrel Grill on TSR

For counters, you'll have to get creative--I like to use this OMSP set by SilentLucidity. The special use OMSPs include a counter OMSP that sims can use to prepare food and can turn invisible. SilentLucidity also has this set, for a smaller size.

For fridges, there's a variety of options--I think I usually used a bag of stuff as fridge, from Sunni's Farmer's Market, but either way Sun&Moon have some great alternative fridges in various sets. There's reed baskets, chest, or backpack as fridges in Basket Weaver 4.0 and hanging meats as fridges in Choice Cuts - Butcher Crafting Stations.

Then there's some functional coolers, which act as a fridge: original by Rebecah and updated 4t2 one by Tony-Veis.

For bathing, there's a few routes you can go as well. You can have your outhouse increase hygiene (I use this outhouse by NixNivis), or you can use buyable soap by Gayars, Marvine's waterfall shower, or Dr Pixel's Shipwreck Shower. One of my favorite options involves Sun&Moon's Fetch Water Mod; with that sims can fetch buckets of water and one of the options on the buckets is to take a sponge bath. There's also a sponge bath on all sinks mod by Smithycpl.

Otherwise, sims can't swim in ponds anyway, unless you make them swimmable. It's doable, but involved; if you make one, then you want Hygiene gain from swimming by Gummilutt.

Some sets I also recommend:
Sun&Moon's The Giving Tree - I use these to fill my forests and then my sims can chop down trees for wood and the tree stump makes a niffy seat, too. And it has great synergy with the All Fired Up! and Functional Fires sets; my sims actually need to chop wood to build fires and light torches around camp--it's great.
An Apple a Day...Ultimate Fruit Collection, Wild Mushrooms, Wild Berry Bushes v3.0, The Game's Afoot, It's a Trap!, Herbs, Spice & Everything Nice, and Buzzin' About - Honey, Beekeeping & Mead all allow my sims to forge and live off the land. Sun & Moon have a ton more sets, but those are the main ones I use, along with what I linked above.

I also recommend Raynuss' Camping Set, which you can find here. If you want more modern looking stuff, you can try looking for 4t2 Outdoor Retreat conversions like these by Tony-Veis here, here, and here. You said you had tents so I hope you saw the ones by Veranka--they're my favorite (here and here, if anyone else is curious).

There's also:
Squat Anywhere by Sunni
A Trash Pit for All Seasons by Sophie-David, to burn trash and get rid of bills, etc.
Midgethetree's update to the visitor controller and No Burglaries mod, if you don't have them already, because the burglar will find a way to show up on your camping lots and cause havoc, if they're residential (at least in my experience).

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 9:43 AM
If you're wanting some furniture that can be used in a homeless/castaway scenario, I forgot I made this set:
The shopping cart isn't mine, it's just edits (slots added) but the rest of the set has all the furniture you'd need to set up a rough camp outdoors, including a toilet. A KFC Chicken bucket toilet. Yep. (Invisible recolor of the tank included so there's just a bucket on blocks.)

Not sure where I may have uploaded it as it was a gift to someone (that I could've sworn was posted somewhere in any case) but if you want it I can upload it.
Instructor
#7 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 10:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
-snip-

Here you are: https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard...32699#msg732699

And check this: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...?p=38594#p38594
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 7:25 PM
Omg. I looked at GOS but I looked too far back and missed it. I was going by when I made the set. Thank you for finding it!
Alchemist
#9 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 8:49 AM
I use the camping set by Raynuss - it has a little cooler and a small grill, among other things. Their site is gone, but the files should still be available:
https://simfileshare.net/folder/36935/

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort