Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 12:27 PM
Default Has Anyone Run TS4 in Wine?
Sometimes I need to do work on Linux and then I'm too lazy to switch back over to Windows when I want to play something. Or (much more likely) I'm only taking a short break and switching would be a waste of time.
As TS4 doesn't have a Linux version I was wondering if anyone has tried/succeeded/failed running it (and Origin I guess?) in Wine? And if so, how was performance?
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 12:52 PM
According to WineHQ, it does run, but not perfectly: https://appdb.winehq.org (you would have to check the entries for both The Sims 4 and Origin).
Test Subject
#3 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 1:56 PM
I know this thread is old, but since there isn't a lot of posts about The Sims and Linux (it's a niche in a niche) I thought it would be nice to bring an update.

It is possible to run TS4 under WINE, but is recommended to install with Lutris or Steam. According to Lutris page, TS4 is rated Gold. Before you must install Origin, which isn't needed with Steam.

In my experience, the game runs flawlessly, except for screenshots in-game with 'c'. It takes a picture but the final result is something like this:

(this was taken in a home decor gig, showed glitched in all in-game thumbs, but in the revelation video the glitch disappeared)

When I screenshot with the system tool (Prtsc key) it works fine:

About Origin, I installed with Lutris, but had to change the prefixes to make it work as shown here.

My game is heavily modded, graphics on ultra and runs smoothly. FPS isn't high (40-50 on live mode) 'cause my video card isn't great, but is totally worth imo.
Screenshots
Scholar
#4 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 9:15 AM
I dont wan't to feed an old thread but was interested myself an found this video: http://youtu.be/c3i92_hvFQQ I don't remember what website it was posted on but there was some comments there telling about it having trouble to work. I will not try this myself but maybe someone can use it.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 15th Oct 2021 at 2:27 PM
I remember that time I went on Ubuntu and the sims 4 basegame was completely playable with the OS through Wine or an other windows compatible program. it was a long time ago and I can't remember how I did it.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.