Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 7:02 PM Last edited by murfee : 18th Jan 2012 at 1:36 AM.
Default Why is my mesh all black/grey in Milkshape? [RESOLVED]
I got a few free 3d models from turbosquid and wanted to see if I could get them into my game, but they were too big when I imported them into Milkshape so I scaled them down a lot. Then I checked the outrageous polycount and used that Direct X Mesh tool to lower the polycount. That's when I got this fugly greyish color on the mesh.
[EDIT] photobucket account hacked--will replace pictures when I can; so sorry! [EDIT]
This happened once before, and the mesh was totally black. I don't know why, or how to fix it. Also, I think the meshes come with textures, but I don't know where they are or how to look for them.

Help, please.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 9:42 PM
Face -> Smooth All

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 4:23 AM
Wow, that was easy! Thanks so much for helping; it worked!
Alchemist
#4 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 5:30 AM
The DirectX mesh tool has some bugs... like many MilkShape plug-ins, it was coded by someone that is no longer around to fix the issues. In this case, the normals do not come back when you reload the mesh, however, they are easy to remake, as you now know.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Dec 2021 at 2:50 AM
11 years later I'm here to say thank you, this solved it for me too!