Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Oct 2012 at 6:50 AM
Worth the Money?
So when you saw the ad on TV for this expansion, you were feeling excited for it's arrival. Now that you have it and you see the extent of it and your hard-earned $40 or so you put into it, maybe now you are a little disappointed. Maybe not. Is it mind-explodingly fantastic, or is it just a huge catastrophe?

Type in your thoughts below,
and have an amazing day!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Oct 2012 at 9:43 PM
Showtime. it's more boring now. List!

Pros:
Starlight Shores is a very pretty town.
Some community lots are cool.
Really pretty houses.
Some songs are really nice.
Pool tables are cool, even if playing pool is fairly slow interaction.
DJ booth is very cool, and great "hobby" for teens and YAs who are not hung up on day job yet. (I mean to make a duo of sims where one is a DJ and one mixologist)

Cons:
SS has routing issues
No LN clubs or room for them really, performance community lots can't have LN bar.
All singers have the same voice, the options you pick in CAS don't do anything for singing.
Having a guitar in inventory makes sims look like they use it. It doesn't make the song acoustic and guitar skill has no effect.
Magicians sometimes get their magic box things glitched, you can't exit the show other than Moveobjects deleting the box, it makes the gig not count and you might not get the box back, ever.
Big venues are very glitchy.
Photo booths make sims that use it together become romantic, even if they are related.
You don't make music videos or record CDs like in TS1 :/

Basically it has very nice objects (especially indoor plants!) but there is no replay value for the professions. You have one singer of each sex, you're done with singers. Same with other ones, except sex doesn't matter unless new costumes make it fresh for you.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 4:41 PM
I don't watch TV, so I couldn't speak as to the commercial. The EP impresses me as more product than substance. The only thing I really used was the pool table, so far. If you're very into having your sims perform and willing to accept the flaws, it may be worth the coin to you. I'd probably hold out for one of the upcoming EP's instead.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 4:56 PM
I never saw the commercial, but was curious about it, so I checked out my favorite reviewer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjD6MIbmGc8 The juggling got me, but right now I'm playing with a magician and a singer. It is interesting and it adds a lot that was missing in Late Night.

Is it worth it? That depends on how much you spend for it. I got it for cheap through Amazon.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#5 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 6:16 PM
Is it worth it? No. Are any of the EPs/SPs worth it? No. But I like the sims, so I bought them, and will continue to buy upcoming EPs/SPs.
Scholar
#6 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 4:23 PM
I got Showtime with no intention of my active sims being acrobats, magicians or singers. I got it for the great rabbithole additions-- particularly the Event semi-rabbithole venues -- (I've always hated that the music career takes place out of a local movie theatre, and the stadium makes it look more like a professional sports team), and the objects. I also wanted inactives to enter the careers and provide ambiance to my towns. (Tired of just being busked by guitar players).

I had a lot of problems with getting it to implement though, some worlds it would work, others, not so much. But when I had to turn off NRaas handling of the homeless to get zombies, it also appears to have fixed the issue with having no performers.

So, the answer is, depends on what you're looking for from this EP. I did give the careers a try and decided that the sheer repetitiveness was not for me. But I just love it when my sims go on a date to see a magic show, or a singer perform.
Instructor
#7 Old 30th Oct 2012 at 2:17 AM
It sounded more fun until I bought and installed it. If I had to pick one EP not to buy, this one would be it. A couple of the features are okay, but all in all I think the acrobats and such make my game more of a pain in the ass than fun.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#8 Old 30th Oct 2012 at 4:40 AM
Well, I like it. It's really a personal preference, though. It does have some really neat items in it.
Test Subject
#9 Old 2nd Nov 2012 at 7:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sirah81

Pros:
Really pretty houses.
DJ booth is very cool, and great "hobby" for teens and YAs who are not hung up on day job yet. (I mean to make a duo of sims where one is a DJ and one mixologist)

Cons:
SS has routing issues
No LN clubs or room for them really, performance community lots can't have LN bar.
All singers have the same voice, the options you pick in CAS don't do anything for singing.
Having a guitar in inventory makes sims look like they use it. It doesn't make the song acoustic and guitar skill has no effect.
Magicians sometimes get their magic box things glitched, you can't exit the show other than Moveobjects deleting the box, it makes the gig not count and you might not get the box back, ever.
Photo booths make sims that use it together become romantic, even if they are related.

Basically it has very nice objects (especially indoor plants!) but there is no replay value for the professions. You have one singer of each sex, you're done with singers. Same with other ones, except sex doesn't matter unless new costumes make it fresh for you.

I haven't went out and purchased it yet.. and it doesn't look like I actually will after this, doesn't seem worth it... Thanks for your input!

~Desiree~

Test Subject
#10 Old 2nd Nov 2012 at 8:02 PM
I'v never been a fan of Showtime out of the lot if anything I unstalled it because I had no use for it. Late Night was better and the price for ST was really expensive.
What was great about it was the new jobs but even those got boring after a while, i'd rather stick to Late Night.
Test Subject
#11 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 11:59 PM
If it weren't for some of the really nice items I would say its a waste of money. I played the acrobat once, maybe the singer once, and haven't even touched the magician. In the end it ended up feeling like a really nice, yet expensive, Stuff Pack.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 4:34 PM
Is it worth it's money? No and definitely not what EA is asking for it. Showtime is one big dlc and is actually just ripped from Late Night. It's a dlc for late night. Yep, EA has got the great idea now to make a dlc from an expansion. Stuff that is added with Showtime could easily been brought with Late Night and possibly also Ambitions. But Riccitiello and his crownies decided it was a good idea to strip some stuff from LN, throw a few new items in it and there you have a new expansion.
Oh, some things are nice though. Starlight Shores isn't bad and i like some of the new venues, like the coffeehouse. Those simfests are nice too. And i like some of the households out there, especially Avilla.
But overall it is a poor expansion and it feels more like a dlc. I think it's the poorest made expansion from them all. World Adventures is even better.

Quote: Originally posted by Sirah81

Pros:
Really pretty houses.

Cons:
SS has routing issues

About your second point of no room for LN clubs; Almost every town has no room for those oversized standard EA things from LN. Only a few of them could handle it, like Lucky Palms and Moonlight Falls. But most, like the favourite Sunset Valley and Twinbrook for example, don't have room for a 48x57 or a 36x64 building. That's why people come over here at MTS to search for clubs, lounges and bars which fit on a smaller lotsize, like 30x30 or even 10x10.
In that way you can add those buildings to every town, even starlight shores. Same goes actually for the pool, library, art gallery, etc and rabbitholes.