Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 9:28 PM Last edited by amethystunycorn : 31st Aug 2014 at 9:33 PM. Reason: photos not showing up
Default Removing Socks from Boho Sweater Dress
I've always liked these bohemian sweater dresses but always hated the uneven socks. Thanks to the awesome tutorials here, I figured out how to remove them but I'm not having complete success and I can't figure out why. I'm still pretty new to recoloring and if I understood the tutorial as long as something is skin tight it can be removed by just blacking it out on the alpha. The socks are skin tight but after I black it out I'm left with an unsightly shadowing, as illustrated below. Anyone know how to remove these ugly shadows? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by amethystunycorn
I've always liked these bohemian sweater dresses but always hated the uneven socks. Thanks to the awesome tutorials here, I figured out how to remove them but I'm not having complete success and I can't figure out why. I'm still pretty new to recoloring and if I understood the tutorial as long as something is skin tight it can be removed by just blacking it out on the alpha. The socks are skin tight but after I black it out I'm left with an unsightly shadowing, as illustrated below. Anyone know how to remove these ugly shadows? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Hi: here is your answer in the first picture. I extracted the mesh but with some trouble . SimPE said not all mesh parts could be found and sure enough there is two parts missing which are shape and resource nod and in order to correct this maxis innovation to show contrast between those ugly socks and bare skin, they use two different normals and that is what you are seeing. You have to align normals and making a new package to overwrite the original exept i don't know since there are those two parts missing it can make trouble for your game. I am not sure but with all the morphs it might not be possible. I don't know really but all I know your trouble comes from the mesh.

Take a look at these two picture and you'll see what I mean. I think someone has better knowledge of this and they can help you making a package to overwrite the original dress so all your recolors look good. Good luck to you! hey if you want you can take a look at some of my stuff and maybe get some idea or something Here
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by telefen
Hi: here is your answer in the first picture. I extracted the mesh but with some trouble . SimPE said not all mesh parts could be found and sure enough there is two parts missing which are shape and resource nod and in order to correct this maxis innovation to show contrast between those ugly socks and bare skin, they use two different normals and that is what you are seeing. You have to align normals and making a new package to overwrite the original exept i don't know since there are those two parts missing it can make trouble for your game. I am not sure but with all the morphs it might not be possible. I don't know really but all I know your trouble comes from the mesh.

Take a look at these two picture and you'll see what I mean. I think someone has better knowledge of this and they can help you making a package to overwrite the original dress so all your recolors look good. Good luck to you! hey if you want you can take a look at some of my stuff and maybe get some idea or something Here

Yeah I don't know anything about meshing yet. I'm barely recoloring. To be honest I have no idea where to begin making an overwriting package. Anyone know how to do what Telefen says and willing to help me out? I would really appreciate it. Thanks Telefen, for getting back to me so quickly. I appreciate your help.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by amethystunycorn
Yeah I don't know anything about meshing yet. I'm barely recoloring. To be honest I have no idea where to begin making an overwriting package. Anyone know how to do what Telefen says and willing to help me out? I would really appreciate it. Thanks Telefen, for getting back to me so quickly. I appreciate your help.
Hi: I have a suggestion for you. get milkshape it cost like a big pizza and SimPE which is free and Gimp also free . there are a lots of tutorials that will get you started messing with meshes and doing all kinds of stuff. It is unlimited how much you can learn and it is good to know even if you gonna do mainly skinning cause sooner or later you'll see something you like but it has some details that can only be fixed by working with Milkshape &simpe as you just experienced. Anyway meshing to me is easier than skinning and that can happen to you as well once you learn the basics. BTW what does a large pizza cost nowadays in us. I saw one 1995 when I was there and it costed 24 bucks a sort of family pizza,it must surely cost like 30 bucks nowadays. 1982 kentucky fried chicken 2piece,corn & a bun costed 1$ If you decided to start meshing, there are some people that can help you along the way and I can gladly do the same.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:32 PM
Hi: I have a suggestion for you. get milkshape it cost like a big pizza and SimPE which is free and Gimp also free . there are a lots of tutorials that will get you started messing with meshes and doing all kinds of stuff. It is unlimited how much you can learn and it is good to know even if you gonna do mainly skinning cause sooner or later you'll see something you like but it has some details that can only be fixed by working with Milkshape &simpe as you just experienced. Anyway meshing to me is easier than skinning and that can happen to you as well once you learn the basics. BTW what does a large pizza cost nowadays in us. I saw one 1995 when I was there and it costed 24 bucks a sort of family pizza,it must surely cost like 30 bucks nowadays. 1982 kentucky fried chicken 2piece,corn & a bun costed 1$ If you decided to start meshing, there are some people that can help you along the way and I can gladly do the same.

Thanks for the suggestion Telefen. I'll keep it in mind, but I don't think I'm ready to start messing with meshes yet. To answer your question about the pizza, it really all depends on where you try to buy the pie. Where I go, I get a large pizza for like $16. And it's delicious, not sub par at all. LOL.

Anyone think they can help me with the meshing situation? I've just recently started recoloring and I'm so not ready to start with meshes.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 12:27 AM
I think you just might not have removed all the shading on the upper legs. I've attached the uvmap so you can see better exactly where the legs are mapped.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I think you just might not have removed all the shading on the upper legs. I've attached the uvmap so you can see better exactly where the legs are mapped.

Thank you, I'll try this. Hope it works.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The only way to fix this problem is the way i showed it to her. You have to open the mesh in MS and do align normals on that line cause maxis have done it like that to highlight that region where top pf the socks joins the bare skin.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 2:13 PM

@telefen Sorry to bump, but I cannot find Vertex- align normals..anywhere in my MS, and this seems to be something I miss for years...excellent info here, if only I'd find the option.
Thank you.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 3:39 PM
It's a plugin by demon, you can download it here: http://modthesims.info/t/139859

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.