Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 4:58 PM
How do YOU organize your custom content?
My computer having recently crashed, I feel like I got a "redo" button to be more organized with my custom content. No more browsing through my cc folder and wondering "what the heck is this, and if I delete it, what will happen?" I've decided to rename items to make them easier to recognize and also have a notepad documentation of each with a hyperlink to an image of each (because I will never have a chaotic mess ever again).

So, my question is, how do YOU do it? I'm curious to see if there's an easier way, and also just curious to see how fellow simmers can be organized in such an unorganized process.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 5:13 PM
I combine .package CC into larger packages so it wont slow the game down when going through the catalogue in CAS or buymode. I do this by using different categories (create-a-sim, buymode, etc) for the larger combined .package files. I keep my mods as seperate packages so they are easier to replace with newer versions.I also use Dashboard from Delphi to check for conflicts with new stuff. And I use Twallan's Errortrap and Overwatch to catch/prevent bugs in the running game.
Field Researcher
retired moderator
#3 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 6:12 PM
I change my CC a lot, so I don't combine it. I just organize my folders. so it goes Mods-Packages- Build, Buy, CAS, Mods, and I just organize like that.

PM me with a request!
Forum Resident
#4 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 7:13 PM
^ *gasp* Natalia Kills <3

For my CC, I call over my bud Xzibit so he can help me put folders in folders so I can folder while I folder. Basically, I have a lot of folders to organize my CC collection, on top of compressing and combining them. The one thing I cant seem to compress is hair packages. S3PE always freaks out whenever I try.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 7:42 PM
I wish I could be cutthroat enough to decide what I will be keeping for the long haul, because I'd love to combine .package files. But alas, I always do a "spring cleaning" cleaning of sorts and get rid of a lot of my CC.
I do the folder within a folder thing too, that's the main thing that keeps me sane when adding more CC.
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 8:34 PM Last edited by Srikandi : 18th Sep 2011 at 8:54 PM.
I use the beta version of Granthes's Launcher. http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/in.../board,9.0.html (look in the "Beta" subforum for the download).

That lets you classify your CC into sets according to any criteria you want, and classify your sets into configurations... so you can load different groups of sets for different games (for instance, different sets for Medieval and Sci Fi worlds, or for your legacy and regular games). You can also enable, disable or delete any mod individually. It shows thumbnails (where available), catalog text and other info for each item, and lets you filter on any of the data it shows. It handles sims3packs just like package files, and it compiles your sets into big packages for improved performance, without removing the ability to manage the mods in the set individually.

As a beta program it has a few quirks, but Grant's prompt with support, and personally I can't imagine going back to not using it :/ If you want a more stable version though, the first version of the tool is here: http://www.modthesims.info/d/408296 . It only handles packages, but it does auto-combine them while still letting you manage them individually.

I am trying to talk him into incorporating the new Categories feature from Pets into the Launcher... so every Set will get a matching catalog category if you want it, after Pets release of course We'll see how complex that turns out to be.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 9:57 PM
I download all content into folders based on different types of cc such as objects, clothes, hacks, etc., and organize each downloaded item/set/hack/etc. into subfolders that have a descriptive name which also includes the creator's name. That way I can easily look up cc online when I need to check whether there's an update, for example. I copy content files "as-is" into the Mods/Packages folder, where subfolders are not needed since I can easily find files based on their name if necessary.

This system works really well for me and makes it easy to update or retire content. I only use package files these days, steering clear from cc in SimsPack form.

Also, I don't have nearly as much cc for Sims 3 as I did for TS2.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 6:42 AM
I don't. I just let it grow into an unholy mess
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 6:54 AM
My sims3packs organization is horrible. I used to download random stuff from the exchange and had a bunch of junk items that'd I'd never even use (but liked). It was hard to let go of it, but it just started piling up. So eventually I just deleted everything except store content and stuff I almost always used. :P

For packages, I organize it like this:
•Buy Mode
•CAS Stuff
--Accesories
--Clothes
--Hair
--Makeup
•Hacks
--Game Mods
--Sliders
•Misc
--Default Replacement
•Build
•Patterns
•Poses
--Temporary Poses (poses I will use once and get rid of to save space)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 10:30 AM
I package it all depending on what it is. I have 4 packages for clothing, 7 for furniture, one for accessories, etc.

I also convert everything (except patterns and worlds) to package files and compress them.
Scholar
#11 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 11:02 AM
make some folders :
Hacks
Hair
Objects

Then some subfolders, then some subs, then subs, then subs, then...subs.

I also rename it when I have freetime, to this format : creator/website - name - game version compatible.package

it's easy for doing this, since I don't have many CC and hacks...

Hey there! :)
Theorist
#12 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 11:25 AM
Everything I download (Sims3packs from the EA Store and 3rd party sites & package files) is put into folders in my external drive so I have backups of everything. I have this arrangement in both my external drive and in my C:/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages:

The Sims 3
> EA Store
-- Regal Set
-- Tiki Set

> Build
-- Fences & Gates

---- MTS TammyTrauma
---- MTS Flabaliki

-- Doors & Windows
---- MTS HugeLunatic
---- MTS Lisen801

> Deco and Clutter
-- KarasWatchingSociety
-- GoS AikeaGuinea
-- Indigo
-- MangoSims

And so on and so on.... you get the picture Oh and those are all folders... inside these folders are the files

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Alchemist
#13 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 12:20 PM
Phew, now I feel like I have to organize my mods folder, too.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#14 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 3:57 AM Last edited by noxnoxnox : 20th Sep 2011 at 4:22 AM.
I'm obsessed with making custom thumbnails for every makeup items, especially eyebrows so I can make sure I know which is which.
Another must-have is separate CC folders for my favorite worlds and houses, so in case I accidentally install malicious things, I can delete DC Cache and re-install everything without hunting for every pieces all over again.
Test Subject
#15 Old 10th Jan 2013 at 5:34 PM
It has been like two years since the last message but I was looking for a way to organize more efficiently, and I just felt that I needed to share with you my way of keeping them in order. I take screen shots whenever I download something and include in the shot the file like in the corner of the screen. I know this is not very practical but before when I wanted delete something and could not find it I always had to delete everything or just keep the things that I dont even like anymore for the sake of others. So, with this, I find what I wanted to delete among my photos, find the file in the said photo and delete it. It is like creating thumbnails, but better I guess if you have lots of cc like me.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 10th Jan 2013 at 6:27 PM
I have a folder for each kind of CC:

-Clothes
-Twallan
-Hair
-Lots
-Misc
-Mods
-Objects
-Skintones

And depending on how large the CC file is, each folder also has a sub-folder for it
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 10th Jan 2013 at 8:08 PM
CUSTOM CONTENT folder, purely for organization, with the following subfolders:
AWESOME: self descriptive.
CC: kind of pointless since I only have frameless (sun)glasses from Esmeralda and tamo's plain faces...but hey, that's three less packages in the end.
NRAAS: I only bother with the troubleshooting mods (masterController, overwatch, register to get rid of strays).
FIXES: what's not covered in AWESOME or NRAAS.
Then I combine them all in a .dbc with s3pe, so I only end up loading one mod file that is about 30mb.
Store content organization: HERE BE DRAGONS, every time I feel like getting something from the store I cringe.
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 2:54 AM
Hah, since this is an old thread I'll mention that Granthes's tool is now called CC Magic, and it has been expanded significantly since my last post in this thread, including the categories feature that I mentioned above. He's working on another round of major expansions now.

Frankly I could not play without it It supports all the types of organization that folks have mentioned above, and a lot more, virtually effortlessly... manages both .package and .sims3pack transparently, classifies and sub-classifies, adds, deletes, enables and disables (both individually and in groups), sorts and filters, manages in-game collections, displays a thumbnail if it can, and of course its original function -- merges CC for the performance boost (without losing the ability to manage items individually, as you do if you merge manually). Highly recommended for anybody that has more than a couple dozen mods/CC files.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 4:56 AM
I never know what it put into the mods/packages folder. I'm not a very organized person when it comes to anything.
And when I want to organize my packages folder, I just delete whatever mods I know I don't need.

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Test Subject
#20 Old 23rd Feb 2013 at 10:31 PM
I am really organized with my CC

-Mods
--Twallen
--Other

-Clothing
--Female
--Male
--Unisex
---Teen-Elder
---Toddler-Child
----Outfits
----Pants/Skirts
----Shorts
----Tops
----Shoes

-Hair
--Anubis
--Other
--Peggy-Anubis
--Recreated By Anubis
--Eternila
---Female
---Male
---Unisex
----Hair With Accessories
----Plain Hair
-----Teen-Elder
-----Toddler-Child

I know, way to many sub-folders :D
Field Researcher
#21 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 12:03 AM
i have 8-9gb of CC, not organized. Mad skillz be needed when new patches are released.
Inventor
#22 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 1:32 AM
i organize my CC into 3 folders:
-mods (new game features or tweaks)
-CC (custom clothes, furniture, hair, etc)
-poses (contains only the pose player and a few packs :P)
Field Researcher
#23 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 2:13 AM
I use CC Magic as well. In-game collections aren't working very well just now but I think he intends to fix that in the upcoming version, or as soon as he can get to it at least.

I don't understand how to use half the features that DO work. I'm still not sure how to have more than one configuration.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 2:51 AM
You mean like THIS?

Gave Twallan a dedicated folder because he deserved it. :D
Theorist
#25 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
You mean like THIS?

Gave Twallan a dedicated folder because he deserved it. :D

That's exactly what my mods folder looks like

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand