Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 11:15 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game crashing after adding cc and houses from previous laptop
Hey guys!

I have just installed the Sims 2 on my new laptop. The game ran just fine until I added all of my cc content and my neighborhoods/houses from the previous laptop.

Now mostly crashes when I try to open a previously saved neighborhood or a saved house.. It crashed a couple of times while trying to start though too.

Can anyone help me with this? I was really excited about playing on my presaved houses...

Thanks!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 11:21 PM
Have you applied any fixes already, like 4GB Patch and Graphics Rules Maker? Also, if you downloaded your game from Origin, make sure to disable the Origin in-game feature, that causes crashes sometimes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
Have you applied any fixes already, like 4GB Patch and Graphics Rules Maker? Also, if you downloaded your game from Origin, make sure to disable the Origin in-game feature, that causes crashes sometimes.

I have applied the 4GB patch and the graphics rules maker yes I have the All in one package, not sure what you mean by Origin sorry :/ Could you let me know more so I can check and fix it?

I have tried again now to open any house but it instantly crashes
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 11:49 PM
These houses were part of a hood? You saved a hood and then pasted this hood into your new game?

or did you save lots as package files and install them into your new pc?

Check that your 4 GB patch and graphic rules are working by checking the config-log.txt found in The Sims 2> Logs folder under Documents.

Delete all cache files inside of the sims 2 folder then open the neighbourhood folder and delete the neighbourhood manager file.

If this still doesn't work run hood Checker over it and clean each lot. https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=609188 You will need simPE, the Lot Compressor and Chris' add on file.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
These houses were part of a hood? You saved a hood and then pasted this hood into your new game?

or did you save lots as package files and install them into your new pc?

Check that your 4 GB patch and graphic rules are working by checking the config-log.txt found in The Sims 2> Logs folder under Documents.

Delete all cache files inside of the sims 2 folder then open the neighbourhood folder and delete the neighbourhood manager file.

If this still doesn't work run hood Checker over it and clean each lot. https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=609188 You will need simPE, the Lot Compressor and Chris' add on file.

Some of the houses were installed as package files but some only came with the hood I pasted into the game.

I will check now for all of the above, thanks so much!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 11:55 PM
Also the hood you pasted into your new game, you didn't paste it over the top of a hood with the same file names? So you didn't paste Pleasantview over the top of Pleasantview?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 12:13 AM Last edited by Matt_Y : 25th Jan 2021 at 12:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Also the hood you pasted into your new game, you didn't paste it over the top of a hood with the same file names? So you didn't paste Pleasantview over the top of Pleasantview?

Nope, it was a complete new neighborhood created by me, tried everything btw now, I will have to try Chris's way now so fingers crossed
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 12:15 AM
Oh also, I actually did a back up of everything in the sims 2 folder and I just pasted it in the new pc, skipping the files that already existed ofcourse. Do you think that has something to do with it?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 1:07 AM
I just read that the last method actually erases all cc used on the lots that are cleaned? :/ Isn't there any way around this? I have a lot of cc in my houses and so many details I would die..
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 1:55 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Jan 2021 at 2:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Matt_Y
Oh also, I actually did a back up of everything in the sims 2 folder and I just pasted it in the new pc, skipping the files that already existed ofcourse. Do you think that has something to do with it?

This method (overwrite instead of "remove (or move out) ---> copy(paste") causes a lot of potential damage, and is most likely the reason why you have issues now.

You should always first move out (remove/delete, depending on which files they are and whether you need a backup) the files first, and then copy/paste the backup-files. Never let the files overwrite. That's always a bad idea because you'll end up mixing the save files from two different saves - your backuped game and the newly installed game in this case.

As long as you just copied the backup (and not moved it over, because that wouldn't be a smart thing to do) you should be able to replace the now borked files with your backup-files again, but do it properly.
- If you have a full backup, you can use the full backup.
- If you just have selected folders, remove all the folders inside the The Sims 2 folder, let the game run to generate new folders, then replace the folders you do have with the ones from your backup.
- Any fully removed folder will be regenerated by the game from the default settings. If you want to go around this and for instance generate new thumbnails, delete those individual files.

If you want to keep installed lots, those are in the "LotCatalog" folder.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 2:44 AM
Hey guys

Thanks for everyone's advice!

I figured it out finally! I followed the tutorial below to play the game with full hd details BUT apparently the dlls were causing the crashes - I didn't need them in the first place. Once I removed them no crashes!

I am not exactly sure why they were causing a crash on this laptop, I had them installed in my previous laptop and everything was fine, but if my game is working now so I'm good haha

Cheers guys and thanks again to everyone

TUTORIAL LINK BELOW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BRX0JlN8lM&t=92s