Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 7:39 PM
Default TS3 Going Backwards
I enjoy playing ts3 but it seems to me that this latest installment has started from scratch. What happened to the pool table from ts2? What happened to the piano??? Kids cant go away to college, the seasons don't change and in my opinion, there should be deeper interactions between sims on this 3rd installment of the game. EA should be perfecting with every version of the game that comes out not going backwards. What else is missing?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 7:42 PM
Except the Piano, all the points you brought up were added to Sims 2 with Expansion packs.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:13 PM
The thing that annoys me most is the fact that in sims 1 I could have ½ a million downloads, in sims 2 I could have 2 million ... but in sims 3 I can't even have 20.000!
I've located the problem to be this:
In sims 1 you could load up only one set clothes and one hairstyle.
In sims 2 you could load up 9 at the time ....
But when we get to sims 3 we have to load up every single thing at once! It's killing my computer!! And I've got a very powerfull computer designed to be able to pull sims 3 off even with downloads. At the moment I'm having more than an hour to load in to the game ... It just doesn't make any sense!
And when it gets to the living neighbourhood, I have no problems going around in the world. But when I get to my sims homes, it can take up to 5 minutes before everything is shown. I tend to decorate my houses heavily, but now it's beginning to be the same problem on the game-homes. And eventually they will all disapear into a big, blue whole and the whole game is ruined ...
Now I'm trying to clean up my downloads, but when opening the launcher and starting to pick out things to delete, when I press the little arrow to scroll down just one item, most times it go berserk and scrolls down like 40 items or so if I'm quick to remove the mouse from the arrow ... And whenever I set the mouse back, it just continues to run downwards. I then have to take it upwards, where it's running again and click a number of times hoping to get it to stop ... 10 seconds later it's the same problem, and when cleaning out, it really takes the piss ... I've got 7000 downloads yet to go through, but I'm dissy from the running up and down on screen, and I've got stressed due to the running as well ...

Well I do agree with Hurthsette, that the game in many ways doesn't seem finnished. This is just what I'm most annoyed about ... When it gets to college, seasons and the like, we have to remember, that was extra packages like WA is now ... They will come again, I'm sure. If they can press more money out of us, they will!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:13 PM
I don't think the game should go back to square one each time anyway, they could have put in all the stuff we had by the time Sims2 had all its EPs, and World Adventures would *still* have added something new. There is still new stuff that can be added, they don't have to strip it all out just to be able to put it all back.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Banned
#5 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:18 PM
The thing that annoys me most is the fact that in sims 1 I could have ½ a million downloads, in sims 2 I could have 2 million ... but in sims 3 I can't even have 20.000!
I've located the problem to be this:
In sims 1 you could load up only one set clothes and one hairstyle.
In sims 2 you could load up 9 at the time ....
But when we get to sims 3 we have to load up every single thing at once! It's killing my computer!!

This is like the "Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?" question.

You realize half a million files would be half a million files, no matter which game you're playing, right? More TYPES of cc doesnt change that...at all.
Test Subject
#6 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:39 PM
I know that. The problem is the loadingtime! For me to load in every hair ... it takes 10-15 minutes. If I could just load a few, look at those and then press next and get a new load. Like with furniture. It would still be laggy know that, but I wouldn't have to sit staring into a screen without anything happening for 15 mins ...
My point in this was, that sims 2 could cope better with those many files than sims 3 can. I get all kinda bugs and it takes forever. I had to download several hundred megabites for sims 2 while only a few hundreds in sims 3 ... that's my problem.
Inventor
#7 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:41 PM
Most whining I see is about: I can't do X in Sims 3 I could do it in Sims 2! whaaahaaaa!!!!eleven11!!

Completly forgoing the fact that You can do Y and Z in Sims 3 that was impossible in Sims 2.

Now I'm not saying I don't miss things from Sims 2, I do, but instead of then looking back and wishing it so I rather look forwards and concentrate on the things we CAN do.

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
#8 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric
You realize half a million files would be half a million files, no matter which game you're playing, right? More TYPES of cc doesnt change that...at all.

I think that the poster was referring to how hairstyles show up in CAS. In the Sims 1 only one "head" would show up and the player clicks right or left to switch hairstyles/faces.

In the Sims 2 and 3 all hairstyles load at once and would therefore cause an increase in lag on a low end system. In the case of such systems, the player would have to wait for the hair category screen in CAS to load, pick one, wait for the hair to load on the sim and recolor (which would also take a while since the color palettes have to load and if it were clothing, the patterns and textures).

So it makes sense that it would be easier to add more custom content to the Sims 1 because most systems can handle that these days. In the Sims 3 the polycount would be higher and considering how it attempts to load content at once, performance would be indirectly proportional to the number of custom hairstyles the player has.

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I don't think the game should go back to square one each time anyway, they could have put in all the stuff we had by the time Sims2 had all its EPs, and World Adventures would *still* have added something new. There is still new stuff that can be added, they don't have to strip it all out just to be able to put it all back.

I agree, this game has a lot of potential and starting all over again makes it lose its cool factor. Because it'd be the Sims 2 base game all over again...only with a seamless hood and CAST and missing certain items that had been there for the past 10 years.

Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
Most whining I see is about: I can't do X in Sims 3 I could do it in Sims 2! whaaahaaaa!!!!eleven11!!

Completly forgoing the fact that You can do Y and Z in Sims 3 that was impossible in Sims 2.

Now I'm not saying I don't miss things from Sims 2, I do, but instead of then looking back and wishing it so I rather look forwards and concentrate on the things we CAN do.

We're aware of the new features too. We're playing the game, aren't we? Just because we mention things from Sims 3's predecessors doesn't mean we don't enjoy the current one at all.

It's just, as a player, one might feel like they're getting the short end of the stick when playing the Sims 3.
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:48 PM
Charming, you are right
Banned
#10 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:52 PM

I know that. The problem is the loadingtime! For me to load in every hair ... it takes 10-15 minutes.

That is because you have corrupt files.
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 9:04 PM
hmm, how do I find those files corrupted?
Inventor
#12 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CharmingFirewaller
<snip>

We're aware of the new features too. We're playing the game, aren't we? Just because we mention things from Sims 3's predecessors doesn't mean we don't enjoy the current one at all.

It's just, as a player, one might feel like they're getting the short end of the stick when playing the Sims 3.

I know, and I agree, I was obviously generalizing in my post, as I said: most whine posts I see
I guess I'm just a "No use crying over spilled milk" type of guy.

As for the deelopers taking stuff out that they could've included?: Marketing. Why give it to us for free when they can make us pay for it in an expansion, it's the way the Games bussiness is moving towards now, with DLC you have to pay for. I don't like it either, but it's how it is.

On the plus site, CAW gives us a great deal of creativity we never had before and that's keeping me busy at the moment.

(Disclaimer: above post my contain spelling and grammatical error and an opnion)

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric

I know that. The problem is the loadingtime! For me to load in every hair ... it takes 10-15 minutes.

That is because you have corrupt files.

Claeric, you have no idea what is causing her game to take that long to load. It may be the problem, it may not. There might be several issue going on. It just might be that S3 with CC isn't able to handle 20,000 DL. You don't know the particular computer specs, what operating system is being used, RAM, Video card. All these thing could have a factor.

Simply saying that is because you have corrupt files sounds like you are an EA support employee.
Test Subject
#14 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 10:29 PM
I agree with you! They only think of making the most money, and after doing that - f*** the buyer!! That's another reason for having this many downloads! Sims is one of (if not the) most selling games ever. To do their job propperly should be something they just did ...
#15 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 10:35 PM
Why give it to us for free when they can make us pay for it in an expansion, it's the way the Games bussiness is moving towards now, with DLC you have to pay for. I don't like it either, but it's how it is.
opnion)

That's the thing, dude. We're not demanding that EA give us those items for free. What we're saying is they should have been included in the base game (which we've paid for anyway).
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#16 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 11:06 PM
Actually, for once, I agree with Claeric - it's probably an issue with the CC and it's quite easy now to figure out if that's the problem.

Game Help:Sims 3 Package File Lagwiki

Quick and easy to test and you might be surprised what you find. Plus other tips for increasing performance, in case it's -not- just the files. Please start a thread in the Help area if you have any further issues on this subject.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#17 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 11:07 PM
thank you so much for help :D
Banned
#18 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Suzicube
Claeric, you have no idea what is causing her game to take that long to load. It may be the problem, it may not. There might be several issue going on. It just might be that S3 with CC isn't able to handle 20,000 DL. You don't know the particular computer specs, what operating system is being used, RAM, Video card. All these thing could have a factor.

Simply saying that is because you have corrupt files sounds like you are an EA support employee.

I am pretty sure 20,000 was an exaggeration for hyperbolic purposes, and I imagine this perosn would be smart enough to think "Lots of files = lots of loading" if that were the case. Even then, we've known for a long-ass time that ridiculous loading times like that are the fault of corrupt files. So it's pretty likely that it's just broken files- and their exaggerations of how much CC they get probably means they're a download hoarder, probably, so they get stuff from EVERYWHERE. It's much more likely to get a broken file when you download everything you see to have a lot.

It's inferring and problem solving. Instead of jumping to the unreasonable conclusion that the game is terrible and can't load CC properly, I go "Well, there's probably a corrupt one if you can't load a few hairs without waiting 20 minutes".
dodgy builder
#19 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 12:39 AM
I know, and I agree, I was obviously generalizing in my post, as I said: most whine posts I see
I guess I'm just a "No use crying over spilled milk" type of guy.

As for the deelopers taking stuff out that they could've included?: Marketing. Why give it to us for free when they can make us pay for it in an expansion, it's the way the Games bussiness is moving towards now, with DLC you have to pay for. I don't like it either, but it's how it is.

On the plus site, CAW gives us a great deal of creativity we never had before and that's keeping me busy at the moment.

(Disclaimer: above post my contain spelling and grammatical error and an opnion)

When I have Sims2 with tons of stuff I can use, why should I use a game that seams to have tons of hurdles for creators. I had a Sims2 full of hack's, I made it work. I have tried to make my lot's as I used to, much more difficult then before. It's not like I'm whining and I don't care about their business. If they make it difficult for my creativity in the long run, I will use Sims2 instead. That's their loss. The new creativity it seams is more about playing the game, that has always been only half the fun for me. I want to make lot's in the game.
Test Subject
#20 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 1:06 AM
As much as I'd like a "complete" TS2 to be the base-game of TS3, it would be very uneconomical for EA. What on Earth would the EPs be? There would be so much already in the base-game that they'd run out of good ideas for the EPs pretty quick and then just make a bajillion stuff packs.

The only two things I miss are the changing weather and nightclubs. I guess higher education, too. Did it have any benefits, though? I never played TS2:U.
Banned
#21 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DenVren
As much as I'd like a "complete" TS2 to be the base-game of TS3, it would be very uneconomical for EA. What on Earth would the EPs be? There would be so much already in the base-game that they'd run out of good ideas for the EPs pretty quick and then just make a bajillion stuff packs.

Don't forget that you'd also need quite a few discs, tons of space, tons of install space, and we wouldn't be playing the game at all for another 5 or more years.
Test Subject
#22 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 1:19 AM
One more thing I miss is the memmory of the sims! The places where all they experience get collected in a line. That took away so much of the story progression in my eyes.

By the way, I have about 20.000 downloads. I've been checking them with an old program that apparently didn't work, so I didn't really think of any corrupt files .. but there were 95 of those and 36 that couldn't be fixed ... Plus before using the program Numenor showed me, I've deleted about 1000 downloads ... Just a little less ... And voila! 4 minutes and I'm in and ready to play! So yay for HystericalParoxysm <3
#23 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DenVren

The only two things I miss are the changing weather and nightclubs. I guess higher education, too. Did it have any benefits, though? I never played TS2:U.

I agree, it probably would be bad for their business if they had included Sims 2 EP features in the Sims 3 base game, but that's only if we assume they can't come up with anything better. I honestly believe that there are so many things that have yet to be implemented. If they don't make the effort to come up with new EP ideas then that is their problem. Recycling the same features over and over does not a good incarnation of any game make. It needs to have fresh ideas.

I will give them credit for the seamless hoods and CAST because those features significantly improve gameplay. However, it seems as though other elements have been neglected.

With EA it's like we're always trading one thing for the other. You get a guitar, you lose a piano. You get a seamless hood, you lose features that could have made having a seamless hood fun (dating, clubbing, shopping, etc.). You get to leave the pool without ladders but you lose the diving board. You get to drive around the hood in your car but you can't simply sit in it and make out.
Theorist
#24 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 2:27 AM
Whoa 20,000 CC? Millions? I barely have 200 for TS2 and 20 for TS3.

I wouldn't say TS3 is going backwards, but yes the absence of memories and weather is pretty disappointing. Piano I believe is going to be added with an EP. If they added everything from The Sims 2 to The Sims 3 base game, how big do you think the space required for installation would be? 20 GB?
Banned
#25 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by treeag
Whoa 20,000 CC? Millions? I barely have 200 for TS2 and 20 for TS3.

I wouldn't say TS3 is going backwards, but yes the absence of memories and weather is pretty disappointing. Piano I believe is going to be added with an EP. If they added everything from The Sims 2 to The Sims 3 base game, how big do you think the space required for installation would be? 20 GB?

The Sims 2 + every expansion + every stuff pack = over 30GB of installation space, not including CC.

Source: Experience.
Page 1 of 21