Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#151 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 10:57 PM
I'm reading The Foretelling by Alice Hoffman
Advertisement
Test Subject
#152 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 2:25 AM
Right now I'm reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys and enjoying it thoroughly. I'm not into it far enough to know if I'll like it as much as I did American Gods, but I consider it a strong possibility based on what I've read so far.

To any history buffs out there, I cannot recommend David McCullough's John Adams highly enough. I literally could not put that book down. I want to read his book 1776 as my next non-fiction. Not sure which fiction book I'll pick up next.
Lab Assistant
#153 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 10:01 PM
I just finished reading three books, all of which I got for Christmas. The Stupidest Angel and You Suck by Christopher Moore which are just..delectable. I love Christopher Moore.

The other one was Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong and while I didn't find it to be the best, it was still enjoyable.

"I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows. I am also an old, old woman. More than that you need not know."
Mad Poster
#154 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 10:05 PM
Doing Postgraduate Research, by Stephen Potter. Fun fun fun...... I have an assignment due in on Friday.........

Quote: Originally posted by Night Revenant
I just finished reading three books, all of which I got for Christmas. The Stupidest Angel and You Suck by Christopher Moore which are just..delectable. I love Christopher Moore.

Christopher Moore is ace! I liked the one that had whales in it. I forget what it was called. But it was an awesome read :D
Lab Assistant
#155 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 10:05 PM
i'm reading sophie's choice and cry the beloved country.
Mad Poster
#156 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 10:26 PM
Interview with a Vampire - Anne Rice
I really need to find another book to read though. Something that isn't vampire related...
Mad Poster
#157 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dreamydre15
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. The Virgin Suicides would seem to be just another tragic tale of American suburbia, but Eugenides transforms it into a unique masterpiece.

Is Jeffrey Eugenides the same author who wrote Middlesex? I believe he was... it's an amazing book about a hermaphrodite who suddenly becomes aware of her conflicted sexuality and decides to establish herself as a boy.

I'm reading The Reader, by Bernhard Schlink, and Dress Your Family in Corderoy and Denim, by David Sedaris. I love David Sedaris, but sadly my bookstore and library only carry three of his books.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Inventor
#158 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 11:56 PM
I've got several on the go at the moment. I have an enormous pile of new books thanks to Christmas and my birthday, plus I tend to put books down in random places and can't always be bothered going in search of the most current one :D

So I'm reading - The Lighthouse, by P.D. James, Doors Open, by Ian Rankin, Beneath the Bleeding, by Val McDermid and Absolution, by Caro Ramsay.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
#159 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 2:44 AM
To my utter surprise (I usually have a large stack of books that I'm reading at any given time), I'm only reading one book at the moment:

Mirror, Mirror, by Gregory Maguire. It is a darker, actually quite creative version of the story of Snow White. I'm only a couple of chapters into it and already, I'm tempted to quit. It can get boring at parts but I'm trudging on with it.

If I can get through the book, I'll probably continue on with Maguire's Wicked books (Wicked, Son of A Witch, and A Lion Among Men). Wicked has been made into a Broadway play and from all accounts, is supposed to be a good read. We'll see...
Mad Poster
#160 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 2:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lycoris
If I can get through the book, I'll probably continue on with Maguire's Wicked books (Wicked, Son of A Witch, and A Lion Among Men). Wicked has been made into a Broadway play and from all accounts, is supposed to be a good read. We'll see...

The Wicked books are awesome! I haven't read the third one yet, but I would definitely recommend the first two! Shame that Mirror, Mirror isn't so good, I was planning on getting that soon. Probably still will, to be honest. I enjoyed his one based on Cinderella too.
#161 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
The Wicked books are awesome! I haven't read the third one yet, but I would definitely recommend the first two! Shame that Mirror, Mirror isn't so good, I was planning on getting that soon. Probably still will, to be honest. I enjoyed his one based on Cinderella too.

Thanks for the recommendation. He wrote one based on Cinderella, too? I just happened to hear about him and go to the library to look for his books...and don't recall see that one. Do you know the title off hand?
Mad Poster
#162 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 3:37 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. He wrote one based on Cinderella, too? I just happened to hear about him and go to the library to look for his books...and don't recall see that one. Do you know the title off hand?

I think it's called Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Something like that anyway. Has the words confessions and stepsister in anyway, I'm pretty sure.
#163 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 3:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
I think it's called Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Something like that anyway. Has the words confessions and stepsister in anyway, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks much. I'll try to find it.
Forum Resident
#164 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 3:47 AM

I have all of Gregory Maguire's 'Wicked' series, but am only part of the way through the third one. I love Wicked and Son of a Witch, but all of his books are a little hard to get into at first. I gave up on Wicked several times, but once I had read through it completely, and then reread it, it is now one of my favourite books. It is very different to the Broadway musical, though, and I know some people who have been disappointed by one or the other. I personally loved both.

Currently I am reading 'New Moon' by Stephenie Meyer, second book in the 'Twilight' series (as I'm sure many are!). I have already read the series once, but read through them so quickly (each book took a day and a half) because I was anxious to know what happened, now I am reading them more carefully.

They're quite good, but not my faves. I'd have to say that my favourite authors are Jodi Picoult, Alice Sebold, and Bryce Courtenay.
#165 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tenielle
Currently I am reading 'New Moon' by Stephenie Meyer, second book in the 'Twilight' series (as I'm sure many are!). I have already read the series once, but read through them so quickly (each book took a day and a half) because I was anxious to know what happened, now I am reading them more carefully.

After the epic disaster that was Breaking Dawn, I swore never to read another one of Meyer's books ever again. She royally messed up with that book, in my opinion. * tries to relax before I go on a Meyer - bashing rant worthy of TDS (The Dark Side)*
#166 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 2:51 PM
[b]Am Currently Reading Holes By Louis Sacha. It Is An Amazing Book! I've only got about a chapter and a half left and only started reading it when i got up!
Lab Assistant
#167 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:38 PM
I'm still struggling through Dracula. It's so awesome but it's not exactly... readable. It's hard for me to just pick it up and read a bit, I have to really find time to sit down and get into it. It's the language used, I think.
I'm also technically still reading Hundred Years of Solitude and Eclipse and The Fellowship of the Ring and a lot of other books. I always read about ten books at the same time, it's because I leave one for ages and then start another. It's a sickness.

We are the lucky ones
Your mother's daughters, your father's sons
Don't you grow old before your time
Mad Poster
#168 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maeve.2.0
I always read about ten books at the same time, it's because I leave one for ages and then start another. It's a sickness.

I do the exact same thing . It's not so much that I become disinterested in books, but more that I end up being drawn to the bookstore (it's almost like wanderlust) and I can't leave there without buying something. Whatever's new always catches my fancy, and the cycle continues until I'm reading ten or fifteen books and have to ban myself from the bookstore. So many books, so little time...

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Mad Poster
#169 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:50 PM
I just picked up another book this morning, and I'm hoping to get through it by the end of my holidays (3 weeks).
The complete works of Shakespeare. I have no idea how I'll handle it :P
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#170 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maeve.2.0
I always read about ten books at the same time, it's because I leave one for ages and then start another. It's a sickness.

Me too, I have a different book in each room. When I'm waiting for the kettle to boil, I read the book I keep in the kitchen drawer. I have one by the bed, several in the lounge at strategic locations... even one in the hallway cupboard for those times when I'm waiting for my daughter to lace up her chucks on the way out.
Mad Poster
#171 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 11:11 PM
Right now I'm reading "Where People Like Us Live" by Patricia Cumbie, it's not all that interesting. I just liked the title...

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Field Researcher
#172 Old 18th Jan 2009 at 3:18 AM
Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz
Field Researcher
#173 Old 18th Jan 2009 at 3:44 AM
I just finished (within the last week) Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay which was a fantastic book and Sunday's at Tiffany's by James Patterson which was also an incredible book, I loved it and now I've just started Marley and Me by John Grogan which so far is sweet, touching and really really funny.

If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.
C.S. Lewis
Top Secret Researcher
#174 Old 18th Jan 2009 at 3:47 AM
I've started reading Nicholas Sparks' Lucky One.
Once I started the book and went back to school (after winter break)...we get another book for English class...Not just any book...Shakespeare.
I find it impossible to read two books at once and being tested on one.

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

Scholar
#175 Old 18th Jan 2009 at 3:52 AM
Re-Reading a book I recently managed to get again that I loved as a kid. It's called "The King's Daughter" by Suzanne Martel. It's a fictional story about one of the many young ladies from france that came over to Canada to be brides for the settlers.

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Page 7 of 41